Kinda-sorta reverse traditional setting?

Got an idea? Share it here!

Moderators: Mystic Dragon, Xalia, Shard

Samber
Dragon

Kinda-sorta reverse traditional setting?

Post by Samber »

I've had this thought rolling around in my head for a while, I think inspired/caused by some stuff people were posting about a while ago. Like the discussion of an all-female clutch, and that mpreg weyr that got linked to. And I don't think it helped that I finally got around to reading Sister Light, Sister Dark and very much enjoyed the female-only society of the Hames.

anyway, what I am thinking of is something pretty similar to the basic Pern setting, only with a twist--perhaps due to a lack of menfolks at one point, the weyrs, which carry out the most dangerous and risky jobs, are staffed mainly by women. I keep toying with the idea and can't decide whether I prefer men on golds, or men on bronzes who end up babysitting any clutches they are responsible for while the golds go back out to fight. Men on gold makes the most sense, though, as queen eggs are the only ones really easy to identify and isolate, and given a choice of impressing to a man or not impressing at all, I think the instinct to survive would kick in. I haven't come up with a really good excuse for why men would be required in the weyr at all, though, save that maybe bronzes prefer straight riders, regardless of whether they are male or female. =p

Anyone tried something like this? (And did that all-female clutch ever get started?)
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

We're still waiting on the clutch.

I don't think I understand quite what you mean - if it's a place staffed mainly by women, wouldn't they too be more on the dragons? Unless, you know, you want the men on the dangerous dragons so they *won't* come back ... hehehe.
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
delyar
Dragon

Post by delyar »

I think you can get away with saying "just because" in this case. The men are necessary to the Weyr's human population, especially if - for some reason - the golds ONLY bond men. It does sound like a pretty neat idea. Granted, I've been loving my female-ridden bronzes lately. :D
Character Listing
Site Listing - Links to All Sites (Link back here if confused!)
Samber
Dragon

Post by Samber »

Shard wrote:We're still waiting on the clutch.

I don't think I understand quite what you mean - if it's a place staffed mainly by women, wouldn't they too be more on the dragons? Unless, you know, you want the men on the dangerous dragons so they *won't* come back ... hehehe.
ah, what I meant was that women ride the fighting dragons and men either ride golds or just aren't allowed to fight thread.

I am a little loopy from lack of sleep at the moment, so please forgive my incoherence :)
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

*ahh* that makes more sense. Heh, yeah that actually DOES make more sense :D
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
Samber
Dragon

Post by Samber »

Hehe that's good. XD

Hmm, maybe the male riders are responsible for keeping up the weyr's population (more among the ground staff than the other riders though) that could explain why they are necessary. And they get dragons at all cause...it would suck to grow up around dragons and not have a chance at one? Weyr population is low overall and as many fighting (female ridden) dragons need to be able to fight as possible? *ponders*