Mythology Giveaway - Kurpany dingo dragons

Giveaways or draws, contests or freebies, this is where to go for critters being given out in a non-clutch format.

Moderators: Mystic Dragon, Xalia, Shard

Shard
Great Wyrm

Mythology Giveaway - Kurpany dingo dragons

Post by Shard »

Okay, I have a sketch but haven't had the time to finish and do any scanning. However, I *DO* have a good idea of what it's going to wind up being, so I'd like to put this thread in as prep and so that I don't just get lost. :)

The myth I am doing involves Australian aborigine culture, and a story about a rather vindictive group of people. Thankfully, I found *two versions* of the story that I was reading up on, and it's really clear that one came from one tribe's history, while the other clearly came from the second. Pretty cool, actually.

Forewarning, however:

The creature I'll be giving out is NOT nice. It might look smooth or whatever, but it's a spirit of anger, revenge and murder - it's a killing tool, a beast released by the slighted tribe in retrobution for the first not accepting their invitation to a religious ceremony (never mind that they'd already STARTED theirs...). Every man, woman and child of this group were killed, except two godling boys who escaped but also didn't really understand what was going on anyway.

So, if you choose to have a bond or sponsor for this beastie, make it one that requires such a dangerous creature to do dirty work, because it will be hard to control and extremely dangerous in social situations. Otherwise, if you choose to just 'collect' it, there's no need to worry about who is keeping track of it. Just more of a story device, really.

I haven't decided how many to make, but probably they will just be however many as requested.

They are horse-sized, much bigger than the dingoes that it's based on, and may have elemental powers (haven't yet decided).

Signups!

Your Name:
A few colors:
Sponsor or Bond, or just Collecting:
Last edited by Shard on Fri May 29, 2009 2:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
Kitsuneko
Ancient Dragon

Post by Kitsuneko »

Darnit, I was going to keep all my myth-critters with one sponsor, (who's not paged yet, anyway) but I don't know how that's going to fit in with her.
Hmm, oh well, if that doesn't work out, I can find someone else who could use a creature like now. For now, I'll just collect. :D

Your Name: Kitsuneko
A few colors: Brown, grey, yellow
Sponsor or Bond, or just Collecting: Collecting
Darkling Dawn: Fauna Frenzy Open to candidates; flights open to males/females; rukel eggs/breedings available.
Drockh-Tallahn Castle: 3 eggs, 2 available. Females and males needed.
Sgiath Wolfkeep: 7 pups available
Sedona Weyr: 12 eggs, Deadline March 8. Chasers and a female needed.
Xenoqueen
Great Wyrm

Post by Xenoqueen »

Your Name: Phoenix
A few colors: black, assorted greens
Sponsor or Bond, or just Collecting: Oh Anathema would TOTALLY go for sponsoring a little nasty to add to her horde of minions!
dracosinfernoweyr
Dragon

Post by dracosinfernoweyr »

Your Name: Kayla
A few colors: black, red, silver or white
Sponsor or Bond, or just Collecting: Vrine'winith will be happy to sponsor any evil nastything as a minion.
~Kayla, what is that I don't even
+ Char Listing + LJ +
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

Hehehe, ah good there are some dragons and such that CAN handle them :D
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com

Post by Guest »

So, uh, would it be able to bond to, say, a familial blood line. I sort of have this awesome idea to have to be like a "kept beast" for the King (and subsequent Kings) of said country ... and I don't wanna write the story to find that it would only bond to a person not a blood line ... *is super curious*
Midori
Dragon

Post by Midori »

Your Name: Midori
A few colors: Silver/white, black & red
Sponsor or Bond, or just Collecting: Sponsorship for the Infernal: http://highflier.freehostia.com/bhaskara.html
Unyko
Dragon

Post by Unyko »

X3 Boy do I have need of an avenging beast. Oh wow. In three or four stories. *facepalm* Ah well, I'll just hafta figure out where it fits in best when it arrives. :D

Your Name: Unyko
A few colors: Red (in various shades of dark/light if you need more colors), black, silver
Sponsor or Bond, or just Collecting: um.. I have somewhere for it, I'm just not sure where it'll fit in best yet. So.. sponsor for either Shizuka (she's a queen of the vampire council.. just not paged yet *sheepish*), Shieksahh, Seri, Ranna and Khy collectively, or, if he so desires in the end, Morchaint (my deity/demon of death, destruction and void. >.> Who feels slighted because I refused to give him an evil godling from the Twisted Fate's most recent clutch). Can I let you know where it's going when it arrives? ^.^;;;
Image... Image ... Image

Post by Guest »

Ahahahaha. >_>;;;;;;

Your Name: Lilu
A few colors: White, brown, green, dark yellow, dark green (camoflauge! XD!)
Sponsor or Bond, or just Collecting: Collecting. I don't have anything evil that /wants/ one. /I/ want one. X3 So it'll be going to keep other things of death and destruction company in my (sizeisrelative)teenytinyMidgardThreadsnake when I get around to drawing it. X3 Since I just tend to write /happy/ things all the time. *staer at self* o_O
JKatkina
Ancient Dragon

Post by JKatkina »

Your Name: JKatkina
A few colors: Red, Red-Violet, with (if possible) small accents of dark blue-violet!
Sponsor or Bond, or just Collecting: Sponsored by Kayga; may be some sneakery bonding in there...
Image Image Image Image

Post by Guest »

Your Name: Maerwynn
A few colors: Dark red, black, gold. And Orange if you need another colour :P
Sponsor or Bond, or just Collecting: There will hopefully be some bonding but otherwise sponsor by the Aryns. (I'll post their website when I finish it :P)

edits: Look! A website! Arynne Beastie (there is some information up about the family but they're still in the planning process). I hope that it wasn't too soon for the writings ... but that is the legend, and the Arynnes wanna write the actual getting the beastie when beastie arrives ...
Last edited by Guest on Wed May 27, 2009 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

Your Name: Birdie
A few colors: Orange, Red, Yellow
Sponsor or Bond, or just Collecting: Collecting
Xalia
Great Wyrm

Post by Xalia »

Your Name: Xalia
A few colors: I don't care? For some reason I /love/ the idea of an evil critter in pastels though...(the color of evil is pastel pink, right? XD )
Sponsor or Bond, or just Collecting: Just collecting for now. Once I get the creature I may decide to inflict them on Kilandaia by having Sahkaeyla sponsor him/her, but yeah, I'll have to wait and see...Kilandaia's already got it's hands full what with Sahkaeyla's Balespawn... XD[/url]
Kilandaia
Tripaldi Weyr
TSCZ
Jurizlandia-Coming Soon
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

Your Name: Dray
A few colors: Reds, blacks, dark browns, fiery colours (mmm summer!)
Sponsor or Bond, or just Collecting: Collecting (D: I feel so cheap saying that, but since I so rarely write anymore, I can't see it being anything but that!)
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

maerwynn wrote:So, uh, would it be able to bond to, say, a familial blood line. I sort of have this awesome idea to have to be like a "kept beast" for the King (and subsequent Kings) of said country ... and I don't wanna write the story to find that it would only bond to a person not a blood line ... *is super curious*
Durr, somehow I completely missed this question!

YES, it would be excellent for that, actually, since that is kind of how the myth worked.
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com

Post by Guest »

Woohoo :D Hopefully I can inspire some muses to write up the story of awesomeness tomorrow then. That answer might actually be exactly what they needed to get their butts in gear for the comic they want too. *mutter mutter mutter to self*
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

Okay, here's some dingodragons...

Though they are all visibly male, there's no reason yours can't be made female or whatever you'd like it to be.

They can have one or more of these abilities:

** Stagnate Water - their presence can cause a body of water to turn bad.
** Purify Water - opposite of the above, they can cause stale water to freshen.
** Move Through Waters - they can slip into any moving body of water or large still pond (anything bigger than an above ground pool, for instance) and travel unseen, to whatever destination can be touched by the water (within reason).

** Ill Winds - any prey animals in the area will suddenly catch wind of 'predator' and scatter. This can be extremely frustrating to hunters.
** Calm Breeze - the opposite of the above, they can nullify scents on the wind and mask any predators to prey nearby.
** Wind Walking - they are able to dissolve and fly on the wind as a shadowy blot, with the sound of howling and angry growling following them.

** Be-Not-Believed - even if forewarned, a person or group will ignore the presence of the Kurpany until it's too late.
** Disrupt Concentration - the Kurpany can break through any intense ritual, concentration or attempt to dissuade it from its tasks.
** Dance of Destruction - the Kurpany executes any living thing around it over the course of an hour, a blender without a bottle, and will hunt down those that attempt escape.

All have the ability to fly, run at dangerously quick speeds, and communicate with other spirit-animals (particularly canines). They don't necessarily *like* any other spirit animals.

Here is a list of Aboriginal names,
http://www.babynamenetwork.com/baby_nam ... rigins.cfm
Though obviously most of those will likely be 'nice' names :)

Kitsuneko

Phe

Kayla

Midori

Unyko

Lilu

Jkat

Maer

Birdie

Xalia (lol pastel)

Dray
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

Oh wow, those are terrifying! Nice job, Shard! Thank you! :D
Kendarath
Dragon

Post by Kendarath »

Hahaha, how did I manage to miss signing up for this?

Your Name: Kendarath
A few colors: Black/Red/Cream
Sponsor or Bond, or just Collecting: Collecting :D
ImageImageImageImage
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

No prob, they'll be up for whoever wants em. :) I'll get on that shortly.
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com

Post by Guest »

X3 This whole month is full of giveaways that make me want so badly to start writing my weird crap again. *JOY* I cannot wait to unleash this monster! Thank you, Shard! <3!!!
JKatkina
Ancient Dragon

Post by JKatkina »

Oh my gawrsh, Shard, gorgeous!

I might change who mine goes home with. >.> He/she just looks enough like a caetran that it's just too perfect. >D
Image Image Image Image
Xalia
Great Wyrm

Post by Xalia »

Muahaha! My pastel dingo dragon of death! XD

These are great, Shard! Thanks! :D
Kilandaia
Tripaldi Weyr
TSCZ
Jurizlandia-Coming Soon
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

JKatkina wrote:Oh my gawrsh, Shard, gorgeous!

I might change who mine goes home with. >.> He/she just looks enough like a caetran that it's just too perfect. >D
It's entirely up to you, I just wanted to make sure that folks knew the risks associated with having a vengeance-oriented 'pet' :)
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
JKatkina
Ancient Dragon

Post by JKatkina »

Woo! Thank you. :D Most caetrae would be able to handle a vengeance-tastic 'friend'... So they're horse-sized, right? Is there an upper limit to that?
Image Image Image Image
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

Well, dingos aren't all that much bigger than a typical 'big' dog, I would say they'd top out at like 19hh? It's pretty big, but slender. If you need it bigger or smaller also, just ... dooo eeet. :)
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
JKatkina
Ancient Dragon

Post by JKatkina »

I'll stick with that, that's fine. :D I'm just planning... a breeding. >D But if I stick him with an Upan it should be a-ok.

Is there anywhere in particular you'd like us to link back to? :D
Image Image Image Image
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

Um, well even though it's not got its index page up yet,

http://www.droppin-the-fork.com/dragonsites/ will do. Once I get the index up, it'll lead everywhere I have dragons, so ...
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
JKatkina
Ancient Dragon

Post by JKatkina »

Aaaand here's Cobar!
Image Image Image Image
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

Schweet. :)
Author of Repurposed