Would anyone ink sketches?

Come and show off your masterpieces!

Moderators: Mystic Dragon, Xalia, Shard, Dray

Would anyone ink sketches?

Post by Guest »

Could someone ink sketches for me? Or perhaps link me to some easy to follow tutorials that show you how to clean up sketches with photoshop? I do have a tablet, but even tracing an image leaves everything all jumpy and I cant get clean curvy lines like I can with a pencil. Whats sad is that I am better with the pad on my laptop than with the drawing pen or regular mouse (which I cant seem to use at all now). The only way I can get any sort of sketch on the comp is by using a felt pen which isnt very thin, so when I scan it.. well, it look horid. Ive tried cleaning the lineart up from there, but that doesnt work either. :(
Any help at all would be great.

Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

I'd recommend using the 'pen' tool in photoshop. It takes some getting used to, but once you've figured out how it works, it gives crisp lines and is easily fixable, unlike inking in real life!

How it works:

1) Open image in photoshop.
2) Create a new layer! Work on that layer when you're 'inking' or else you won't be able to get rid of the lines!
3) Select the brush tool. Make sure the size of the brush is how thick you want your line to be.
4) Select the pen tool. Click on the point over the line drawing. Click and hold on a point further down the line, then drag the mouse/touch pad around so that the curved line matches your pencil drawing.
5) Repeat! If you want a sharp point, you have to create a new anchor point without dragging the mouse around to create a curve... or else you get these funky not-quite-points.
6) Right click, select 'stroke path'.
-For a smooth, normal line, make sure the little box isn't set to 'simulate pressure'.
-For a line that gets thinner and fades away at the tips, do select 'simulate pressure'!
7) Once you're done with a line, hit 'return' to delete the path.

Here's a tutorial I found while doing a quick google search.

http://acaraluv.deviantart.com/art/line ... l-21814747

Hope that helps!
Silver Midnight
Dragon

Post by Silver Midnight »

That looks extremely hard to do.

But interesting!
Still gaming? Take a look at Atonement RPI.
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

Kat's becoming a pen-tool inking master. :O

http://artdragon.mine.nu/~kat/pics/erram.gif is an example of what you can do with pen-tool drawing skeelz! XD
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

.... Oooor you could just use a 2nd piece of paper, and ink by hand, scan and correct the scan if any mistakes are made... Much easier to get clean lineart that way.. :)
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

That's another good option. XD

If you're going to ink by hand, you might want to go visit your nearest art store (or stationary store) and invest in a couple of inking pens. They don't have to be the super-fancy expensive ones, but they'll definitely help!

As for brands... I usually go with Staedler Technical Pens. They're grey and come in .05, .1, .2, .3, .5 and .7. Up in Canada they usually run from $2 to $4 each, so they're probably a little cheaper in Aussie-land.... though I have no idea what the conversion rates are. XD

Post by Guest »

thankyou all sooooooo much.

I cant get the pens right now, which was why I wanted some sort of help using the pc. I live in a little country town at the moment with hardly anything here, so Id have to take a trip to the city to get the pens and thats kind of hard when you have no car and you have a 7 month old to pack. :P

But all the comment have been a great help. thankyou all.

Post by Guest »

OMG.. you did THAT with the pen tool.. WOW *stares*

Post by Guest »

THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU

Omg.. lookie what I did!!! *is soo proud*

Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

Oh that looks fantastic!! I love that face :)
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com

Post by Guest »

Im not happy with the foot. But at this point I dont care. I INKED! WooT
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

Hey, it looks awesome! :D