The Disappearing Mage

Going to be gone for a long time? Just got back from a trip? Keep us in the know here!

Moderators: Mystic Dragon, Xalia, Shard

Mystic Dragon
Great Wyrm

The Disappearing Mage

Post by Mystic Dragon »

I still live, and I still check this place from time to time. The unfortunate news is my old laptop is well and truely dead. I'm working on getting it up and running one last time to transfer all my stuff onto my new laptop, but no idea if/when that'll happen. In the meantime, I have no art program and only a portion of my old files. I am also having difficulty figuring out how to connect to my site using Vista. So essentially... I can't upload, I can't art, and I can't get my old stuff.

Sorry Star, but that includes the hybrid parents we were working on. -.- I had started colouring them too.

I'll keep you guys updated as much as I can, but for now I'm kinda stuck.
https://renaissancebookpress.com/2017/0 ... tlin-caul/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

*nuzzle* Its okay, Mystic. As anyone around here can tell you, I've been a bit "flakey" since my grandfather died and I almost lost most of my grants/scholarships because I failed one class and almost failed a second. This summer has been a bit hectic - if I'm not trying to get myself back on my feet with various things, I'm trying to step into my dad's shoes down here with his business, since he's actually been hired onto a school's payroll as more than a consultant and can't take care of the schools down here as well as he used to. It's educational, I'll say that.

Vista is a bear and a half, and at this point, not worth the effort it takes to crawl through microsoft's hoops. At the point I was first introduced to it, only one in twenty "standard" computer things we take for granted (task managers, browsers, hardware drivers, practically all software under the sun) didn't work. I think it's down to 1 in 15, but that's still not what I like to hear. And I know people have to use the system in order to iron the bugs out, but... the only thing Vista does is close security holes, programmable loopholes, etcetc that the manufacturing companies were taking advantage of that make the OS unstable. Effectively, it's just Microsoft saying, "We're sick of taking the blame for what other companies' programs are doing." Not good enough for me. I'll take a bug-ridden OS that runs my favorite programs over a bug-ridden OS that doesn't.

As far as I know, Adobe programs are not on the (short but growing) list of Vista-runnable software yet. I wish you luck in finding some sort of decent art program that will work.
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

Vista sucks.

Put XP back on. At least you know XP works... :) Plus you do not HAVE to use Vista. You can easily redo your compy with XP if you've got disks.

FLARGING ADOBE.

*smacks hands* i will not go into the adobe rant, I will not go into the adobe rant. I paid 700 bucks for a program *that no longer works and won't get free service to make it work*. screw adobe. sigh.

Put xp back on yer compy. :)
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
Mystic Dragon
Great Wyrm

Post by Mystic Dragon »

-.- If I take out Vista, I'll lose my fingerprint scanner. And possibly whatever else I've already established on this lappy. I'm not too sure. I know Vista is a bitch of an OS, but it's what it came with.

I don't know what to do about the art program though. No idea if this thing would even run something like PSP7.
https://renaissancebookpress.com/2017/0 ... tlin-caul/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

Ahahahaha... my guess? No. Try it, though -- there's been some odd things cropping up with programs that Vista likes/dislikes. Older versions work where newer versions don't -- random program A doesn't work in version 5, 7, or 8, but works in version 6... etcetc.

All hail Microsoft, eater of souls and warden of the insane asylum.

They're coming to take me away, ah ha! They're coming to take me away!
Astra
Ancient Dragon

Post by Astra »

Vista is a beautiful interface -- I just have a problem with the fact that its more of a memory hog than most PC games. When my OS is taking more ram than freaking Everquest II you know we have a problem :? But this is just from what I've heard, I've never actually used Vista. XP was nice. Windows 98 was nice. Hopefully they'll fix Vista so one day it will be nice too. For now I'll stick with my beloved XP and my (more beloved) Mac OS X ... which was just as buggy and incompatible as Vista when it first came out, but today is really nice. :D
ImageImageImage
Midori
Dragon

Post by Midori »

My PSP7 works on the vista. I dunno if that's a fluk or what.

Good luck Vista is a bitch sometimes.
Mystic Dragon
Great Wyrm

Post by Mystic Dragon »

>.> Any chance I could get a copy of that wonderful fluke?