D&D-Style RP, Anyone?

Got an idea? Share it here!

Moderators: Mystic Dragon, Xalia, Shard

DragonFlight
Dragon

D&D-Style RP, Anyone?

Post by DragonFlight »

Ok, so.... Several years ago, I ran a pseudo-RP under some D&D rules in an IRC chatroom. It was really one of my first forays into D&D, and obviously, running it solely on text with no dice roller made it hard. But I enjoyed it.

In fact, one of our Nexus-goers was in the game - Myrror. ^^

Anyway, it was set in a D&D setting, and later I actually converted the old (and favored) characters from the game into my original setting. If you've seen some of my candidates or stories, you might well have seen characters from the original game. Names like Ixin, Thaddius, and even Shamoor pop up. ^_~

In any case, lately I've found myself lacking in text-based RP. That isn't to say I don't pass email RP back and forth with people, and there's the 'Uh Oh!' event there - which is slightly on hold until I finish the template I'm gonna give out in it - but I'm really looking for an actual -game-. I haven't played real D&D in two years, since I graduated college and all, and there's no one local here that I know would join a game, or is running one I could play in.

So I'm curious - who all here would be interested in playing in a D&D game run by me?

You'll have to take into consideration the following criteria:

- Each game would take place at a specific day time based on my timezone (EST). It could be anytime really, ranging from Friday evening to Saturday to Sunday afternoon. (Time schedule can be discussed.)

- If you haven't played a D&D-style game before, you should know that games can last several hours. And remembering my last IRC run - those lasted quite awhile because everything had to be done via text.

- You will have to install IRC if you don't already have it. Also based on response, Ventrillo (with a microphone) might also work for some things. But I don't want to rely on that because you can't log that like text.

It is likely that the game will take place in my own setting (Kynn) and may even implement some of my gaming rules for playtesting purposes. No prior experience is required, really.

I just want to know who might be interested.
Database Being Revamped

'Epic' is most concisely defined as something that, were you to do it in view of a person in real life, they'd pretty much have to sleep with you immediately to maintain order in the universe.
I sneezed. It seems to have reshaped reality. My bad.
DNS
Ancient Dragon

Post by DNS »

I know nothing about D&D, and my attempts tolearn anything are met with confusion, but if you canstand that, i'm all for it.
:D

I'll just need to be pointed to a /free/ IRC client.
DNS
Ancient Dragon

Post by DNS »

I know nothing about D&D, and my attempts tolearn anything are met with confusion, but if you canstand that, i'm all for it.
:D

I'll just need to be pointed to a /free/ IRC client.
DragonFlight
Dragon

Post by DragonFlight »

I'm curious, what aspect confused you?
Database Being Revamped

'Epic' is most concisely defined as something that, were you to do it in view of a person in real life, they'd pretty much have to sleep with you immediately to maintain order in the universe.
jess d
Dragon

Post by jess d »

This sounds like fun, and sounds familiar too. My husband and I have a similar problem finding local people to get a game going with!

I'd definitely be interested
Mystic Dragon
Great Wyrm

Post by Mystic Dragon »

Woo.... that sounds interesting. I'm already an IRC RP'er. I might be able to drag a few friends in as well, provided we can port over some other DnD chars. Low levels still.
https://renaissancebookpress.com/2017/0 ... tlin-caul/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DragonFlight
Dragon

Post by DragonFlight »

Porting other characters kinda depends on the character. ^^;; But it's possible.

I should have mentioned it before, but running games with large numbers of people is very hectic and puts alot of stress on the DM normally - I don't run really big games. Just FYI.
Database Being Revamped

Mystic Dragon
Great Wyrm

Post by Mystic Dragon »

*shrugs* I can invite them or not. Your choice. My chars a level 3 elven ranger. One of the guys has a level 3 human fighter. The other is using a plot specific race made by me; the drasis. :3 Totally understand if you'd rather stick to canon races. Even I haven't hashed out all the details for them yet.
https://renaissancebookpress.com/2017/0 ... tlin-caul/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DragonFlight
Dragon

Post by DragonFlight »

Heh, it's plausible. I don't use all the 'canon' D&D races myself, I use some of my own. ^^;;
Database Being Revamped

Cacopheny
Dragon

Post by Cacopheny »

If the game stays small, like, five people at most... and we stay away from the voice-chat thingy... I might be interested. Cuz you know I love rping with you : P
The stupidest smart person you ever met.
Myrror
Ancient Dragon

Post by Myrror »

Yah, small is good, and I'd be interested, but if that means it'll get too big...

And, whatever happened to Rharrkim, anyway? ^.^;
ImageImageImageImageImage
DNS
Ancient Dragon

Post by DNS »

if it's small, i'lls tay out. >.> i think. :3 cuz i'm new and you've alreadyg ot fivee experienced interestedpeople.

:3 And... pretty much everything confused me. it's mostly the numbers and their application, but there's so much information on EVERYTHING that finding out where to start is like.. woah. >.>
DragonFlight
Dragon

Post by DragonFlight »

DNS: It's pretty much applying a random factor to the skills and abilities you give your character's traits...but I won't try to explain it. ^^;;

Caco: Like I said, I'm not partial to voice-based stuff because you can't log the game, even if talking is more tabletop-ish. ^^;;;

Myr: Heh, Rharr is around. ^_~ She hunts undead in a particularly nasty forest, among other things.

For reference, the first game I ran on IRC was around five people - but I was also playing a constant party member cause they needed a healer. @_@ Ironic. Anyway.

I ran a live game of eight people once and it was tough, mostly because I had to deal with how loud people got. Typing is a bit different. But I'd still say 6 is my optimum, but I could go to 8.
Database Being Revamped

Cacopheny
Dragon

Post by Cacopheny »

Me? Experienced? Ha XD The most experience I've had with D&D is in webcomics making fun of it and a video game based off of it X3 I just like rping with DF.
The stupidest smart person you ever met.
Xenoqueen
Great Wyrm

Post by Xenoqueen »

Heh, I once participated in a D&D game entirely by phone and relay of the DM. XD Never once met with the other players. Other than that, the only thing I remember is that my character was a silver dragon and when I hatched it was right in the middle of an egg-thieving expedition and I talked confusedly to the person who was carrying my egg. ::snickers::
Myrror
Ancient Dragon

Post by Myrror »

Yah, sounds like something she'd do.

*wonders if she's had anymore kittens...*
ImageImageImageImageImage
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

I might be interested in joining - I play DnD on occasion now that I'm in college, but whether I can stay involved past the 16th of january is up in the air depending on the day we'd normally meet, since I have two games that I play on Saturdays from noon to midnight (and a lil past >.>;; )which tend to take my attention away from the internet.

In any case, it sounds like it'd be fun, but if you think you have too many people I won't join, since my schedule is up in the air =P
Mystic Dragon
Great Wyrm

Post by Mystic Dragon »

>.> Looks like it's getting a bit bigger than "small". Then again, I don't know what the chances are of all of us being on at the same time.
DragonFlight
Dragon

Post by DragonFlight »

There's that, and the fact that I was currently only asking about interest at the moment....no guarantee I'd be taking everyone, after all. I'm still setting things up though so it won't happen for a little while yet, anyway.
Database Being Revamped