Mirus One Year Anniversary Celebratory Something

Got an idea? Share it here!

Moderators: Mystic Dragon, Xalia, Shard

Shiolar
Dragon

Post by Shiolar »

Lets go with Fidena Ventul, if that's okay with you, Dray?
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

Kay. XD She's been a kind of hesitant mother in the past; though she /has/ had offspring before (I think? I've done a terrible job with keeping up with offspring of my dragons. D:)
Shiolar
Dragon

Post by Shiolar »

I dunno. No offspring listed on her page... Although the surname Ventul is familiar now I think of it. Good thing there'll be some Candidates and sponsors for her offspring, so she won't have to look after them too long?
Shiolar
Dragon

Post by Shiolar »

Well, here is a preview of the Fidena Ventul x Mehari Syaess offspring, for the roleplay hatching.

I haven't cleaned or shaded the adult image, but I'll post up the inked sketch for you to see.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b155/ ... 0006-1.jpg

Not quite ready to run the roleplay yet, since I prefer colouring adults and kits at the same time, to get exactly the right colours for both... But... soon it will be ready.

I think Dray said she's not spending so much time online at the moment? Dray, JKat and TyGryph all get one of these regardless of whether you're in the roleplay or not, being owner and artists of the parents. :)
DNS
Ancient Dragon

Post by DNS »

ajhsadah, that baby is making me melt, and i can't wait to see the adult coloured~ You've got me wriggling in anticipation for this, shio. ^^
Myrror
Ancient Dragon

Post by Myrror »

Awwww, so CUTE!

Makes me wish I could RP halfway decently...
ImageImageImageImageImage
Shiolar
Dragon

Post by Shiolar »

If you can roleplay at all, Myr, then you can join in and you'll get one. Everybody who takes part will get one, regardless of how well they roleplay. Seeing as this is a 1st year (and a bit now) anniversary celebration, after all. :)
Myrror
Ancient Dragon

Post by Myrror »

Well, there's also time--work, and my own agency...

Still cute, though

(and, as a personal opinion, I RP better in battle scenes. Which I think a hatching would be rather lacking ^.^;;)
Shiolar
Dragon

Post by Shiolar »

Well, if you'd really like one, I'm sure something could be arranged. :)
Myrror
Ancient Dragon

Post by Myrror »

We'll see... ^.^;
aireona93
Dragon

Post by aireona93 »

That little one is so cute! I love the pose!
I wish I had time for a role play. ^ ^ I don't think that I have written for one in a couple years now. Hahaha.
~åi®¥

Image ImageImage
Shiolar
Dragon

Post by Shiolar »

As I said before, it's gonna be a slow paced roleplay, so just post when you can. I wouldn't expect everyone to be online all at the same time to do it. It'll be very informal, and prolly rather chaotic, but still... So yeah, you only need to throw in a couple posts...
aireona93
Dragon

Post by aireona93 »

Maybe I will try... those dragons look like they will be awesome. ^ ^
~åi®¥

Image ImageImage
Silver Midnight
Dragon

Post by Silver Midnight »

I want one. ;_; Where do I sign up? XP
Still gaming? Take a look at Atonement RPI.
Shiolar
Dragon

Post by Shiolar »

Soon as the RP is open, just join in with a character (or two or three, or whatever you like!). Glad you like, Sil. :)
JKatkina
Ancient Dragon

Post by JKatkina »

I'm in the same boat as Dray nowadays (or the same residence quad, if you prefer XD) So I'm not on much these days either, but -- SQUEE!

Those babies are gorgeous! XD And I get one, anyway? Yay! I will do my best to show up at the RP too, but... I just moved and life is a little insane. XD
Image Image Image Image
Shadow
Dragon

Post by Shadow »

:shock: *dies* Absolutely adorable. Never role-played online but worth a shot. (I'm used to playing D&D)
Shiolar
Dragon

Post by Shiolar »

And now, finally, the adult image is completed, finished with a grand total of 52 layers...

So, the good news is this means the roleplay can now take place, if everyone's still up for it? Not sure if maybe I should wait til after DF has run hers...
Astra
Ancient Dragon

Post by Astra »

that is keeewl. maybe i can rp with zia, since i dont think i have enough time for df's maybe by the time yours runs i will. because that is keeewl.
ImageImageImage
DNS
Ancient Dragon

Post by DNS »

I can probably do two at once~ I mean, DF's roleplay would be fairly simple, wouldn't it? or atleast strait forward, with with the setup.
._.

<3 but yes. definately worth all the work, shio. Beauuutiful~~
Shiolar
Dragon

Post by Shiolar »

It'll be a slow-paced roleplay, so I should think you'll be able to join. Not necessary for everybody to online at the same time for it.

No reason why you can't bring Zia, either. These guys will mostly be bonding, but there'll be a couple that will sponsor. :)
Kitsuneko
Ancient Dragon

Post by Kitsuneko »

0_0

Considering the fact that I'm really no good at RPing, it looks like I'll be doing a lot of it over the next few days.
Man, that is just awesome!
Darkling Dawn: Fauna Frenzy Open to candidates; flights open to males/females; rukel eggs/breedings available.
Drockh-Tallahn Castle: 3 eggs, 2 available. Females and males needed.
Sgiath Wolfkeep: 7 pups available
Sedona Weyr: 12 eggs, Deadline March 8. Chasers and a female needed.
DNS
Ancient Dragon

Post by DNS »

For the curious, shio, how do you colour? sceen/multiply layers or something else?

>.> don't answer if you don't want to, it's a complicated and annoying question~ and you use psp, but there are equivilants to the main tools, i think..
Shiolar
Dragon

Post by Shiolar »

Glad you like, Kitsu... and don't worry about the roleplay... everyone who joins gets a dragon, even if they're inexperienced with roleplay.

DNS:

I set up two layers for each type of shading I want to do... for example, I'll have 'shading feathers light' and 'shading feathers dark'. Beneath the shading layers, I have a 'colours' layer, which is coloured in medium hued colours, usually dark, muted reds, blues and purples.

I have black as the foreground palette colour and white as the background palette colour, so I can switch between them easily... I shade all my shadows on the 'dark' layer and white on the 'light' layer. I use a plain airbrush or paintbrush tool, depending on what texture I want, usually at a 15-30 size and 50% to 75% opacity...

Once I've shaded every section of a particular type (ie feathers), I do a Gaussian blur to smooth it out... I usually use a radius between 2 and 5, depending on how smooth I want it... feathers get a 2, fur gets between 2 and 4 depending on how fluffy and soft I want it to look, hide and scales tend to get 5... but it depends on the size of the area, too... small scales will get a 3 usually...

Then, I go to my 'colours' layer, and select all the areas outside of the shading I've just done... so with the feathers shading, I select everything that's not feathers (or select all the feathers and then use Selection Invert). Then go back to the shading layers and delete all the shading that falls under the selections I made... Stops pesky halos around the edges of my images without the need for thick outlines, which'd look weird on my generally outline-less images...

Once all my various shading types are done, I duplicate each and every one of them, and rename them accordingly... so I end up with 'shading feathers light', 'shading feathers light overlay', 'shading feathers dark' and 'shading feathers dark overlay'. As suggested by the names, all the layers now named overlay are set to overlay, while the others remain on normal. This keeps the shading from looking all grey. Then, all of my shading layers are set of 50% opacity. I then delete the background layer, or just make it invisible, depending on if I think I'll need it again.

I use pretty much the same method for shading eyes and gems and the like, but they each have a separate colours layer above all the previous layers, then I select the colour area, and shade within that area on the 'eye shading light' and 'eye shading dark' layers. No Gaussian blurs this time. Then duplicate, rename, overlay and 50% opacity as before. Then a layer above all that is a small white dot or dash...

Then I save and restart my computer to free up the memory before I start colouring... 2gig of ram or not, that many layers slows my system down a lot...

After colouring, I then alter the opacity of the various shading layers to make it look right... darker colours will have the light shading layers reduced to around 30% opacity, while lighter colours will have dark shading layers reduced to about the same, depending on how individual colour combinations look.

Did all that make sense? It's a ridiculously complex method... each image takes me four to eight hours to shade this way... But they're dead quick to colour after all that's done.
Shadow
Dragon

Post by Shadow »

O_o WOW! I'm definately RPing this hatching! ^_~
DNS
Ancient Dragon

Post by DNS »

O__O That was more detailed than i thought, thankyou. And actually, i understood it, and know most of the mirrors in photoshop. I have to try it now. -hugs- thank you!

and that method doesn't gray out the image any?

thankyouthankyou. %%
Shiolar
Dragon

Post by Shiolar »

You get a bit of grey, but not much... that image I posted above, he's got a pure white body, and there's some grey there... but I forgot to fix the opacity of the various shading layers on that one... Mostly, when using colours other than white, grey or black, all the highlights and shadows are darker or lighter versions of the colour beneath them... That's the point of having layers on both normal and overlay... normal provides the highlights and shadows, and overlay stops it from getting too grey. If it's looking too grey, you just lower the opacity on the normal layers a bit, and up it on the overlay layers a bit...
DNS
Ancient Dragon

Post by DNS »

-nodnod- ouuu, that's a valuable trick.. and i can try it on other methods, too. .__. -clinghugglegnaw- thank you, shiolar~ -trots off to expirement-
Shiolar
Dragon

Post by Shiolar »

Heh... I got the basis of the method from JKat, so I can't really claim credit...
Cy
Dragon

Post by Cy »

Shi', if you've been asked this before, just thwap me... because I scanned the posts and didn't see it, though I may not have looked hard enough.

Exactly what kind of characters will you accept this?