Roman Dragon -- Version 1.1 posted; Feedback please?

Come and show off your masterpieces!

Moderators: Mystic Dragon, Xalia, Shard, Dray

TyGryph
Dragon

Roman Dragon -- Version 1.1 posted; Feedback please?

Post by TyGryph »

Hihi. Here's the dragon I was working on last night. He's destined for paint and paper once I'm happy for him, rather than for pixels and photoshop... but I still need feedback. What do you like? What do you hate? What needs desparate help? I know the paws and wings aren't finished, so you don't necessarily have to mention that.

The rest of my non-cyberpet Dragon project involves calligraphing (is that a word?) the lyrics of a song that my friend wrote. With the dragon. I think it'll be spiff. (Text mp3 The recording hardly does it justice, compared to hearing it sung in person, but hearing it makes it much more powerful than just reading it, no?)

It's Society for Creative Anachronism (http://www.sca.org) related, so it might not exactly make sense to everyone. Midrealm = Middle Kingdom = Dragons. Northshield = Gryphons. (That should help?)

Anyway, feedback? Please?
Last edited by TyGryph on Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shiolar
Dragon

Post by Shiolar »

Ooooh, he looks pretty cool. Very nice looking.

Only thing that doesn't seem quite right is that he has a very thin, light body, but a thick neck. He looks maybe a bit top-heavy, perhaps?

Other than that, though, he's gorgeous. The paw that you've drawn fully is very nice, and I love the detail on his face and head. He definitely looks very Roman. Almost rather regal, in fact.
Xalia
Great Wyrm

Post by Xalia »

I agree with Shiolar, either the neck is too thick or the body is too thin, though I think you coud fix it by giving him a larger, more substantial rib cage, which you should probably do anyways. It looks right now like his lung capacity is really low, so unless he just exhaled as far as he could, it'll look better if he had a larger lung cavity.

Otherwise I think he looks really, really awesome! I love the trojanesque helm he's got on! Will he have a full suit of armor eventually, or is the helm all he wears?
Kilandaia
Tripaldi Weyr
TSCZ
Jurizlandia-Coming Soon
TyGryph
Dragon

Post by TyGryph »

As far as the armor goes... I don't know yet. I need to do a little research on that, and see what I can adapt to fit on a dragon. If you read/hear the song, this one is for "Forgan of Darkyard"
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

Very nice! Love the idea too. I agree with the others, he needs a much bigger chest cavity. His whole body is no thicker than his tail base. :) I can't wait to see what you do with this one.
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
Sargon
Fledgling

Post by Sargon »

i love him Ty. The anatomy looks absolutley fantastic. Maybe put a little more into the wingas like you did in the legs. Face looks great, and all the scales and detail is looking really really good. He needs a good tail 'weapon' to complete his spartan-lookin theme going on :D.
TyGryph
Dragon

Post by TyGryph »

The Roman, version 1.1

The Traveller, version 1.0
TyGryph
Dragon

Post by TyGryph »

... no commentary?
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

Ooh - I like the new claws. :) The neck still looks a bit thick to me, but it does match the body much better now with the thicker chest.

I adore the other one. That's just too cute for words. :)
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
Silver Midnight

Post by Silver Midnight »

I really like the traveler's toes--well done. ^_^ Though it seems like the line of his facial hair should be less defined. o.o I love his pose, though, and his expression--and his mug of ale! XD
TyGryph
Dragon

Post by TyGryph »

Yeah, I need to make their necks narrower... that's the most common suggestion I've gotten from my local critics.

The tankard in the Traveller's hand should gain some more definition, but I need to talk to someone about that...

---------

Oh -- and if anybody listened to the recording of the song which I'm basing this art project on, and -liked- it... there is an album out. Three voices, acapella... A 2 CD set. $15 US, plus $2 for shipping.

I personally know all three of them, so trust me, they're awesome.

AND -- 100% of the profit from this (their debut album) is being donated for Hurricane Katrina relief.

http://www.fanucci.org/aid.html
hksherra
Dragon

Post by hksherra »

Holy moly, Ty... I've always loved your art... but this is frickin' amazing!

Whoa....

*drools*