Shadows, Nightmares & Madness

Giveaways or draws, contests or freebies, this is where to go for critters being given out in a non-clutch format.

Moderators: Mystic Dragon, Xalia, Shard

DragonFlight
Dragon

Shadows, Nightmares & Madness

Post by DragonFlight »

(Update from lower in the thread...)

Well, after work stress devoured me, and then I ended up losing my job after four years of dedicated work and service regardless.....

....I haven't been in much of a creative mood here. But with the advent of getting a new job, and the approaching of ArtSlam again, I have become determined to finish all this stuff I started.

I'm reviewing over what Frights I still need to color right now, then I'll move on to the big boys at long last. And hopefully start drawing again and getting proper webpages up once more. We can only hope.

As this isn't an update thread itself, I'll leave it at that for now. Look for more stuff here soon!

~*~*~*~

There's something strange about these things. And something wrong. Something very, very wrong.
Darkness lurks here, all around. Mist curls about shell and dirt, rippling against stone much like water. Shadows move along the eggs, as if alive, with minds and desires all their own. And an indescribable feeling of being watched by something. Something twisted. Something hungry.
Oh yes. There is something very, very strange here.

~*~*~*~

ImageImageImageImage

~*~*~*~

The following is a special sort of giveaway. It is in honor of my birthday, which is on October 2nd, and my favorite holiday, Halloween, which is, of course, October 31st.

Above you will see two types of eggs. The smaller, lighter ones, which are quite numerous, and the larger, darker ones, which are fewer.

-- Participation --

() Save whichever egg graphics above that you want. Do not hotlink.

() Stick them on your pages. Linking back will be enforced only after hatching, since most of my linkable pages are sort of dead at the moment. You may take up to TWO large eggs. You may take AS MANY small eggs as you like.

() Once they are posted, reply with the form at the bottom of this message. This is the method by which they will hatch. If you do not have a form in for your egg(s) by October 30th, they will not hatch. They are due to hatch on October 31st.

-- Details --

I am not telling you what these are. I am not giving any hints other than what is below. Use them how you see fit.

() These eggs can be found in a cave. It is very dark, but the shadows can be distinguished as moving on their own. There is a constant mist covering the ground.

() This cave can be reached literally from anywhere. It can appear connected to something naturally, it can appear on the other side of a door spontaneously, or even be reached from dreams.

() Entering the cavern gives an immediate sense of wrongness, and being watched by a predator.

() The eggs themselves are, for the most part, indestructible from the outside.

() Those in prolonged contact with any of the eggs will start to have nightmares - only completely dreamless sleep, or no sleep at all, prevents this. The longer the contact and the more of them there are, the worse it gets. Those in contact with one of the larger eggs may start to experience waking hallucinations and nightmares in a similar manner. Even those that cannot dream may experience such effects. This may eventually lead to the erosion of sanity.

() Exposure to a great deal of natural light will cause the eggs to turn a dulled light gray, and it becomes very unlikely that they will hatch.

() Temperature does not appear to have any effect on the eggs. They can hatch as easily in a volcano or a tundra as they could somewhere temperate.

() The environment in which the egg is placed will affect aspects of what comes out of it. This means that anything you do on the page where you place it can alter things. Giving the egg a caretaker. Or multiple caretakers. Clustering all of them together. Keeping them apart. Placing them with other eggs. Placing them on light or dark backgrounds. And particularly, the inclusion of story material using the above information. The latter can change the results drastically.

-- Technical Info --

The following is for your benefit, to help you decide how you wish to handle the environment surrounding your egg(s).

() The small eggs which hatch something small. This will count as a pet, fire lizard, flitter, or what have you, for any place that places a limitation on this number per character. If there is no caretaker present, the creature will wander off on its own. It may attach itself to something from a larger egg, or, in the case of multiple small eggs, they may form a sort of feral swarm.

() The large eggs hatch something that will bond. If placed in the care of an individual, it will bond to said individual at hatching. If no caretaker is present, or the caretaker is absent, it will not. If two large eggs are placed together with no caretaker, there is a chance that they will link to each other. Please be aware.

() Creatures, caretakers, pets, and so forth that have been affected by nightmares, hallucinations, or loss of sanity by exposure to the eggs will recover over time once they hatch. The effects are temporary.

() The larger (and perhaps some of the smaller, depending on environmental factors) creatures will likely be powerful. The more effort you give, the you receive in return.

And that's all you get. >3

-- Form --

Remember, only post this after your egg is on a page. One form is sufficient for all of them, provided you list all needed URLs. If I can't find the page, the egg doesn't hatch.
If you wish to add more later, please refrain from editing your form, and just add in another reply - I need to make sure I see all of them.
You may sign with the form before you have completed everything you want to do with the page, but the egg does have to be at least on it when you sign.

And finally, very important - there is a comments section to the form. Use it how you like, BUT be advised. If there is something that you dislike, or that disturbs you, that you do not want to risk appearing on your creature(s) at hatching, you must mention it here. This can be anything from 'I don't like stripes' to 'I hate the color green' to 'Snakes scare the hell out of me'. I -will- avoid it. But anything else is fair game. Remember, this is a birthday celebration for me, with Halloween thrown in for fun.

This is going to be twisted.

-----

(Fill this part out once.)
Your Name:
Your Email:
What do you like best about Halloween?:
COMMENTS: (Remember what I said about this section!)

-----

(Fill this part out for each page you have eggs on. I don't need one for each egg if they're all on the same page. Just be sure I can find them all. Remember the limits in the Participation section!)
Page URL:
How many eggs are on this page?:

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Premonitions of what is coming yielded this rendition of what is coming....

-----

Other gleaned information...

() There are seven different types of the thing that comes out of the little eggs.

() If there's more than one of the little creatures, they tend to swarm up as soon as they hatch.

() They are not related to grues.

() The more of the small creatures there are, the /smarter/ they get.

() Bonding physically alters or changes the creatures from the large eggs.

() Individuals with a fear of enclosed spaces may find themselves very agitiated at hatching.

() The larger creatures have a preference towards bonding. If there is no proper caretaker in the vicinity, they may even bond to one or more of the little creatures. Which does something 'different'.

() Ooze. This word is involved somehow.

() Balefire and related effects can be classified as 'environmental' and may affect what is inside the eggs. Not necessarily in the way you expect, though.
Last edited by DragonFlight on Sat May 22, 2010 9:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Database Being Revamped

'Epic' is most concisely defined as something that, were you to do it in view of a person in real life, they'd pretty much have to sleep with you immediately to maintain order in the universe.
I sneezed. It seems to have reshaped reality. My bad.
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

This is going to be so full of awesome. :D
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com

Post by Guest »

Hehehehe. You have succeeded in motivating me to write a story or two. Fwee!
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

Me three. My thinking cap is on!

Post by Guest »

Your Name: Birdie
Your Email: sora_warwing@yahoo.com
What do you like best about Halloween?: Costumes!
COMMENTS: I'd prefer something that wont actually KILL Ollysa, but other than that anything goes.
Page URL: http://www.freewebs.com/eccentricbirdie ... adows.html
How many eggs are on this page?: 7
JKatkina
Ancient Dragon

Post by JKatkina »

Question!

"The large eggs hatch something that will bond. If placed in the care of an individual, it will bond to said individual at hatching. If no caretaker is present, or the caretaker is absent, it will not. "

Is this the kind of thing where I can request that the creature doesn't bond its caretaker by saying the caretaker will be absent at the time when it hatches? Cause I have a caretaker that I'm deadly curious about what would come out of an egg he'd be keeping, but I'm not keen on him actually bonding anything!
Image Image Image Image
DragonFlight
Dragon

Post by DragonFlight »

Sure, that works. Just make sure you mention it somewhere so I don't forget. ^_~
Database Being Revamped

'Epic' is most concisely defined as something that, were you to do it in view of a person in real life, they'd pretty much have to sleep with you immediately to maintain order in the universe.
JKatkina
Ancient Dragon

Post by JKatkina »

Aweeesome. XD
Image Image Image Image
JKatkina
Ancient Dragon

Post by JKatkina »

My first few egg placements are up!

Your Name:
Your Email:
What do you like best about Halloween?: It's a holiday that's simultaneously eerie and joyful -- well, maybe gleeful would be a better word, but in any case, it seems to be equal parts surreal and weird and reveling in all that!
COMMENTS: I'm phobic of needles. Otherwise, anything goes, EXCEPT that when I eventually post Cyprium's egg placement, I'd prefer whatever comes out not to actually bond Cyprium!

Page URL: http://artdragon.mine.nu/~kat/cattery/
How many eggs are on this page?: 3 small

Page URL: http://artdragon.mine.nu/~kat/aven/cyprium.html
(story, http://artdragon.mine.nu/~kat/aven/cyp.html )
How many eggs are on this page?: 1, large
So I did something a bit strange, it's in the story.. Cypri's the caretaker, but there are two young'uns there at the hatching to bond to if the creature coming out is so inclined! I think of the two, I'd prefer it bonded to Teviad, but if you're struck by insipiration for Isaina, go right ahead.

Page URL: http://artdragon.mine.nu/~kat/aven/keerbene.html
How many eggs are on this page?: 12, small

Page URL: http://artdragon.mine.nu/~kat/aven/icuratmag.html
How many eggs are on this page?: 1, large
Last edited by JKatkina on Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Image Image Image Image
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

Your Name: Shard
Your Email: kshau_protectorate@ yahoo.com
What do you like best about Halloween?: costumes! glowsticks! the weather (usually crisp and dry, warm in the day and then chilly at night here in Sunny San Diego) Mostly costumes :)
COMMENTS: I don't much care for gore. I like ghosty, maybe even skeletal, undead things, but I don't care for drippy-icky gore. I also don't much care for 'sad' things (big-eyed friendship-posters, etc).

-----
Main Story page: http://www.droppin-the-fork.com/dragons ... eamers.htm

Linked to...
Page URL: http://www.droppin-the-fork.com/dragons ... a/omid.htm
How many eggs are on this page?: 4 small

http://www.droppin-the-fork.com/dragons ... /sedoi.htm
1 small, 1 big

http://www.droppin-the-fork.com/dragons ... /ushai.htm
1 small, 1 big

The three other characters may wind up with dragons too if things go well with other giveaways :)
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
dracosinfernoweyr
Dragon

Post by dracosinfernoweyr »

Your Name: Kayla
Your Email: visit.the.inferno@gmail.com
What do you like best about Halloween?: carving crazy pumpkins, trying to one-up myself each year!
COMMENTS: Humm, well the only things that especially freak me out are elevators and lots of closely spaced tiny holes (like honeycombs or lotus pods *shudder*) but I don't think those'll pop up in a dragon. X3 Other than that, I prefer the darker, cooler spectrum of colors.

Page URL: Illtud: http://dracosinfernoweyr.freehostia.com ... h42il.html is the direct link to the story, http://dracosinfernoweyr.freehostia.com ... p42il.html is his main page.
How many eggs are on this page?: 2, one big, one little.

I hope it's ok that he's also going to Phe's halloween event. Tud also has a multipage story that doesn't really have anything to do with this particular clutch, but it'll help with some backstory if you care to read it.
~Kayla, what is that I don't even
+ Char Listing + LJ +
DragonFlight
Dragon

Post by DragonFlight »

No requirements on going to multiple places from me - mine's a creepy mini-shop open 24-7 (or whatever your system time frame dictates). ^_~
Database Being Revamped

Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

Your Name: Dray
Your Email: dracothrope@gmail.com
What do you like best about Halloween?: The atmosphere of it. Pumpkin pie, its proximity to Thanksgiving (at least in Canada!), the revelry. The effort that people go to in decoration. The giving, mischievous spirit it invokes. Dark and fire, masks and acceptance.
COMMENTS: I apologize for the white background, it's just the database that I'm using, and I haven't figured out (nor am sure that I want to) alter the CSS/HTML for certain characters! The eggs IC environment is a dank, dark cave just at water-level to a lake deep within a new mountain range.
As for phobias, drowning is one, though given the story and character I'm putting the egg with, that's acceptable to include in the character! XD

Page URL: http://dray.pegaruny.com/Dragons/Ganan.htm
How many eggs are on this page?: 1 (at the bottom, with a story-blurb!)
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

heheheh it's so cool that folks like those myth dragons :)
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

I adore the ability sets that you gave out with them. I hope that Ganan will wind up finding a village to watch over! X3 Thank you for them, again!
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

"Watch over".

*terrified villager 1*: mommy, I don't think I should go outside.
*terrified villager 2*: son, just don't pee in the corner like last time.
1: but he's WATCHING us... always watching... *pees*
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

Ah, but now the watcher shall become the watched! :D *hugs the fat shadow-egg... and winds up peeing in the corner as well* :c Right, I forgot they were all creepy. XD
DragonFlight
Dragon

Post by DragonFlight »

Mwahaha. ~Cackles~
Database Being Revamped

DragonFlight
Dragon

Post by DragonFlight »

So, I finished writing about half of the info for these guys, which was delightfully fun, and the rest will wait until the art is finished.

Now, I'm curious.....would it help inspire people to have teaser images?

Also, would it help to know a few teaser details about the creatures themselves?

I want to inspire you! XD Tell me what you need! :3
Database Being Revamped

Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

Info! :D Not that I didn't already do mine, but hey :D Makes me want moar.
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
DragonFlight
Dragon

Post by DragonFlight »

Ok, random info. I'll also post these in the first part, too.

----

Little guys.

There's seven different types. Umm....

If there's more than one of these guys, they tend to swarm up first before bonding. And it tends to be.....violent.

----

Big guys.

No comment on physical appearance yet.... But.....
Bonding actually gives these guys tangible benefits.

Also, if there's a bonder with a few of enclosed spaces.....I miiiggghhhttt be agitating them 'a little'. :3
Database Being Revamped

Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

:O Are they related to Phe's Grue-dragons!?

These are going to be so neat!
DragonFlight
Dragon

Post by DragonFlight »

Noooooo, they are not. >3

Hey, questions are a good way to figure things out. XD I reserve the right not to answer, though. Heheheh.
Database Being Revamped

DragonFlight
Dragon

Post by DragonFlight »

More random info so you don't forget me! XD

- The big ones do have a preference to bond as opposed to not. If they don't have a caretaker around to latch on to, but one or more of the little egg guys is around, the big one will latch on to that. This actually does something rather 'interesting' to the big one. XD

- The more of the little ones there are in the group...the /smarter/ they get.

- Ooze. This word has something to do with what's going on here. But I'll say no more than that. Speculate, if you like.

---

For the curious, I may be posting silhouette-style teasers for some of this, this weekend. :3
Database Being Revamped

Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

o.0

oooooooze.
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

Ooooooozers! :D

You make me want a swarm of the little ones now, but I don't think I have anyone who'd do well with them! XD
DragonFlight
Dragon

Post by DragonFlight »

Well, you can always toss them on a random page with nothing else around and see what happens. ^_~
Database Being Revamped

Xenoqueen
Great Wyrm

Post by Xenoqueen »

I want to attempt to dump a slew of these with one of my Balespawn. Of course, Balespawn have a tendency to want to work their corruption into anything they claim.

If I get around to storying this, is that permissible as an "environmental effect", or do I need to make the 'spawn rationalize leaving the eggs alone as they are?
DragonFlight
Dragon

Post by DragonFlight »

That is a totally legit 'environmental effect'. I was wondering if anyone would try that. >3 The results might not be what you're expecting, though. Mwahaa.
Database Being Revamped

Xenoqueen
Great Wyrm

Post by Xenoqueen »

Oh I wouldn't expect anything in particular, I know better. XD But it's in-character for Balespawn so I had to ask! :3 Thanks for the feedback.