Board creation help?

For general discussions of any sort that don't fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Mystic Dragon, Xalia, Shard, JKatkina

hksherra
Dragon

Board creation help?

Post by hksherra »

Ok... for my latest project, Eakishi adoption and fighting... I've decided that I want to set it up as a board, like Mirus.... There is a lot of fun RPing available and I think that it'll be all around easiest and the most fun for this thing... Only issue is....

I have no idea how to! ^^

So... if anyone with board experience could help me out... I'd be most grateful! Most important things being:

1. Somewhere that I could get a free forum from...
2. How to format forum and such if it isn't painfully obvious
3. How to make a table on the forms... I know I saw one somewhere....

Ha ha... I'm kinda pathetic with html, bbcode... anything that requires... code...

So... help? Anyone? *sheepish smile*
Shiolar
Dragon

Post by Shiolar »

Well, to start out there's several places you can get free forums from.

phpBB (www.phpbb.com), like these forums, are free but you need your own place to host them, as far as I know. I don't think you can install them onto Geocities or anyplace like that.

Proboards (www.proboards.com) host it themselves, and are fairly good, but I don't like 'em much. They sometimes seem to just delete forums for no good reason, and your customisation options are limited. You might find it's fine for what you want, though.

Invisionfree (www.invisionfree.com), despite downtime sometimes (like Mirus over Christmas), is pretty heavily customisable. And I know it inside out, so I can help you get it set up.

Hope this helps. When you find the place you want to set up on, I'd be more than happy to help you get set up. Each forum place works a bit differently, though, so I can't really give a tutorial here.
Asha Wermyst
Dragon

Post by Asha Wermyst »

I can help with proboards if you need it, I have several.
GildedLilly
Fledgling

Post by GildedLilly »

If you're REALLY clueless, as I doubt you are, you can always try to thwart the evils of www.avidgamers.com

Or, actually, nope. Now it's all confusing. They got rid of a wonderfull system that really worked and replaced it with a buggy one that doesn't.

Ah, well. Such is life.
WARN!NG: Contents in cup may be giddy. Do not goad or attempt to distract with something shiny.
hksherra
Dragon

Post by hksherra »

mwa ha ha... I registered for one at InvisionFree. It looks like it is pretty easy to understand, I just gotta figure out how exactly I want to structure this thing....

Still though, do you know how to make tables on it? I'm gonna want to do that eventually and haven't the foggiest clue how to...
Shiolar
Dragon

Post by Shiolar »

Tablpes are easy, but the method depends on where you want them. If you just want them at the top or the bottom of the forum as a whole, then in the AdminCP choose 'Board Wrappers' and just insert the HTML code for the table wherever you want it.

If you want it in posts on the forums themselves, you first need to enable the dohtml BBCode. To do this, you go 'Manage Forums' and for each forum you have, there's a yes/no checkbox for 'Allow DoHTML'. Then you need to edit the membership groups to allow certain people to use that tag. I'd advise only allowing the Admin group to use it, especially if you're gonna be the only one posting tables anyway. Then, to post the tables themselves, in the message you're posting:

Code: Select all

[dohtml]<table html of choice>[/dohtml]
You can also allow the use of HTML in member's signatures, which is useful if you want to have the stats of each person's Eakishi in a place that's always visible whenever they post. I can't remember offhand where that setting is, but it's fairly easy to find, and it's another of those nice yes/no options, labeled 'allow html in user's signatures' or something like that.

Hope this helps.
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

Ooh, so can we make pedigree charts in the giveaway forum yet, then? o.o It'd be nice to post all of the info with the images in the first big post!
Shiolar
Dragon

Post by Shiolar »

I've posted tables on here once or twice before... on these boards the coding isn't quite the same, though... you don't need the dohtml, but instead of using formatting tags for bold, italics, urls and such you have to use the BBCodes for them. It can be done, it just takes some rather odd coding.

I'll try it next giveaway I do. I have a half finished template for Bokuhi Usadah x Allorath Rufasilex, so I'll be doing something with those images when I'm done shading, colouring, stat-ifying and such.
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

So we just post the usual table info, but take out all of the 'font' things and such? :D Woot!
Shiolar
Dragon

Post by Shiolar »

I think so, yeah. Try it!