Equal Rights

Sometimes you just want to express your opinions and have a healthy debate with your friends, but anything that turns into deliberate attacks/flaming will be shut down. Don't take anything personally, remember that we're all friends, and remember it's your choice if you start reading. :)

Moderators: Mystic Dragon, Xalia, Shard

Indigo
Fledgling

Post by Indigo »

Just thought I'd throw my two cents out there - despite the snarky lean of the first half of the thread(awesome to everyone for backing off and keeping it sane) I do agree with the just of Shiolar's post. I'm 'color blind' as my mom puts it and usually don't notice what race someone is unless they throw it in my face(well, I notice it but I notice it like I'd notice the color of someone's shirt).

My two cents on the educational system - I was home schooled (actually they call it 'unschooled' now, which just sounds wierd to me) so I can't really say what the schools in my town were like, but to me it seems like schools are teaching a lot of tivia and 'how to follow the system'. I taught myself everything I ever wanted to know and while I'm behind in some things I get to talking with kids my own age and usually end up staring at them in disbelief because they know nothing about something I learned when I was ten and think is really important.

I do love a good debate, but I'm not jumping in right now(despite my long-ish post *eyes it*). For what it is worth I've known many mentally and physically handicapped people in my life, I'm usually over-polite and Alaska is a really diverse place. *slinks away*
=-Lylan Keep-=
Boreal Visions ~ DeviantArt
"The artist must create a spark before he can make a fire and before art is born, the artist must be ready to be consumed by the fire of his own creation." - Auguste Rodin
Mystic Dragon
Great Wyrm

Post by Mystic Dragon »

Indigo's mention of being colour-blind reminded me of something. The only reason I got really upset by the Japanese exchange students/foreign roommates is because they CONSTANTLY threw their difference in my face.

"I am Japanese but you cannot hate me because that would be racist!!!one!!1!" Yet they go ahead and turn down their noses at the rest of the world for no apparent reason.

It's still racism in my books when someone continually /tries/ to be recognized for their difference. Such as my roommate's reaction to not getting the job "because she's not Canadian." That's bullshit. She didn't get it cause she didn't have the qualifications, and I applaude the person in charge of hiring people for not caving in to minority rules. If you don't want to be treated differently, don't try pointing out race/colour/background. If you don't succeed in an area because you aren't quite skilled enough (and I'm not refering here to the debate about varying education systems) then don't complain that the judgement was based on your looks.

I guess my biggest issue is that people take advantage of the system this way. "Hire me even though I have no experience because I AM BLACK!" No... That's not right. There are those who truely WANT to learn, and more power to them. Then there are those who just feed off the generosity of others.
https://renaissancebookpress.com/2017/0 ... tlin-caul/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;