Laying the smackdown

Sometimes you just want to express your opinions and have a healthy debate with your friends, but anything that turns into deliberate attacks/flaming will be shut down. Don't take anything personally, remember that we're all friends, and remember it's your choice if you start reading. :)

Moderators: Mystic Dragon, Xalia, Shard

Shard
Great Wyrm

Laying the smackdown

Post by Shard »

Okay, so... If anyone here is in YGallery, you might see some weird fallout from a post I just placed on Auron's gallery... :/

The problem here to discuss is this:

EMO CRAP and art don't mix.

I'm positive that anyone who's watched half a dozen great DA artists has seen the artists threaten to quit drawing, threaten to remove their art, threaten to kill themselves, etc etc etc... Over what?

Some critique or a jackass' insensitivity.

I just got sick of it, sick of seeing this dangling carrot of "well I'll put my art up but only if you praise me endlessly and never lie to me because I'll be hurt if you lie but tell me that you love me anyway"... It's crap. I called her bluff - "my art's never coming back" ... fine. Then quit. But it's *extremely* unprofessional to just up and yank a bunch of pictures because someone from your past decides to rag on you *presumably in private* because we can't actually SEE any of this stuff being done....

Removing art, redoing it, replacing it. That's crap. It's like a severe revisionist view of the world. Like the old version didn't exist any more, like if you just slap down another coat of paint no one will know there was ever anything different here.... Crap!

I want to see a progression. I want to see a making-of an artist. I've been blessed enough to come across some artists who I firmly believe (Auron among them) will go very far in the world of art. But I want to know that they came from more humble beginings, or that their work steadily progressed, or that they took a course and suddenly understood a new technique that they now use. But to go back and REMOVE the proof that there were steps to the end? That's just crap.

And since only one other comment was even slightly critical of this move, I decided that it was time to lay the freakin smackdown. Stop being a fucking emo bitch. Stop whining about someone when you obviously won't tell the rest of us who it is or why they did it, or even where to locate this information. If it's an admin telling you not to spam your works back up, then ask them for confirmation about it from a superior. If it's not? Screw em.

But for crying out loud I'm so sick and tired of people dangling that carrot and begging for praise. The praise is *there* already. The proof is in the pudding so to speak. If you can't take the artistic heat of having some random spammer or some argumentative crap put on your works, in this day and age... Hide under that freaking rock forever, because the age isn't going away, the trend isn't going to reverse, and people *will* judge your performance by what they see online...

I try and commend people who have *some* talent and who are still brave enough to put their works up online. Yeah they get bashed by careless posters. But they are better than someone who haphazardly decides their work 'isn't good enough' or 'will never amount to anything' and removes it from public view - only to come back dramatically later on. Sick. And. Tired.

I know some of these kids are quite young still... But I've known artists that age who are more consistant and have developed their skills without the need for drama.

Sooooo, yeah. That's more of a rant than discussion point, but i just felt the need to get that off my chest. I'm so sick of drama in the art community. It's not necessary. I only hope that my comment is taken the way I really need it to be: to be the soft-booted kick in the head that says, "holy crap, I've been a total dick all this time.... people really do like my work, why am I deciding to take it away from them because one jerk made me angry?"... yeah. Right... :/
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
Astra
Ancient Dragon

Post by Astra »

amen to that.

I post occasionally in the dolling/pixel art community and it is SO full of emo drama crap. Really talented artists who are the shit and know it hanging it over our heads "I'm gonna shut down my site and disallow you to ever use my bases again unless you're super-nice to me." And since they're the most popular bases out there of course everyone grovels at their feet and kisses their asses. Or people who have had their work stolen once or twice so they decide that they're going to punish the whole dolling community for it and take down their whole site with a rude message on the splash page making everyone feel like crap for what one person did. I know we've had our share of drama on these forums time and again but I just thank whatever higher powers may exist that it hasn't gotten as bad as that.

Er, sorry shard, didn't mean to steal your rant. I just see where youre coming from is all.
ImageImageImage
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

Oh no, no, I just wanted to get some kind of confirmation that it was bullshit and not just me :)
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
JKatkina
Ancient Dragon

Post by JKatkina »

It's not just the art world, it's everywhere online. >:[ That's one of my biggest pet peeves, and it's why I stay the he...ck out of 'I'm leaving!' discussions. Let the person make their own choice without hearing other people praise and fawn over them to staaaay, see if they're still as serious about leaving.

Because... ARG.. Most of the people who leave ANYwhere 'forever' with a big, dramatic exit speech about how everyone hates them and the world is better off without them, WILL be back next week, month, whatever, and both they and their peers know it.
Image Image Image Image
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

Behind you, Shard. :\ A lot of my friends-list on Live Journal has been pulling that same pooey in the past few weeks--either that, or "omg, I'm not good enough plz say I'm AWESOME," when /clearly/ they have talent. T_T' Maybe it's some weird astrological phenomenon? Artists' Tempertantrum in the House of Intarwebs? I don't know.

I hope you booted some sense into her, though by what experience I've got out of stuff like that, it'll probably just spark a bunch of drama and sulking and pouting and rallying-of-the-lackeys... the usual internet dramarama. 9.9'
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

Well, she's surprised me before, when I pretty much said the 'truth' so... I'm hoping. No response yet, which kind of surprises me - not even from lackeys and fangirls who will eagerly leap (without knowing any circumstances) to the defense of their fave talent... :)

I think the only time I *like* playing with this game of pleeeeze is the 'I'm leaving' threads in city of heroes. Those are hilarious because it's kind of a race to ask, "can I have your stuff?" :)
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

*cackles* XD I didn't know that you could grab other peoples' stuff when they left. Have you gotten anything really good out of that, before?
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

Actually you can't, its kind of a joke with WOW people who loot bodies. :) We have no bodies. :) You could I guess transfer all the influence and stuff to people before leaving but these people aren't REALLY leaving, they're just WHINING about the minor changes they have to make to their playstyle. waaaaah, I have to hit the key FIVE times instead of THREE! Nerfed! Nerfed! End of the WORLD! :D
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com