Home again, at last.

Bring your characters to life!

Moderators: Mystic Dragon, Xalia, Shard

Dray
Dracolich

Home again, at last.

Post by Dray »

((I'm skipping ahead, Mystic, to when they part ways with the others. Just because I don't want to metagame for characters that I don't know much about, and because now we can get to the fun stuff! XD If you want to go back in time to more closely mirror in-game happenings, just poke me and we can backtrack. If not, consider this to be the point where Fa and Kin' have been on their own for about half a day, with the 'ambush' and saving only a short time away....

And for anyone who happens to be reading this, and wondering what the heck we're talking about, check out Urban Dead, a text-based game where you can play a zombie or a survivor, that's highly addictive! XD We could always use more people to run into, so if you'd like to RP survivor characters in a zombie-apocolypse setting, it's free to join and we'll swing around the city to pick you up, if need be. ;P))

<hr>

Fa Whitecat stood against the edge of the snow-covered, concrete roof-rim, one leg propped up and an elbow propped against that as she looked out over her home neighborhood. Seven and a half months ago, she'd never have expected to get a bird's eye view like this, but then again, seven and a half months ago, she'd never have expected to be looking out over ruins quite like this.

She wiped a heavily mitted hand across her exposed nose, snuffling heavily, and not just from the cold. She had memories of this place in better times (and not so better times, but compared to the life she'd been living now, they now seemed infinitely better...) and looking out over the fire-scarred, mostly-empty streets, brought a sinking feeling to her.

They were resting in the larger of two stations, the smaller being a quick-dispatch emergency building, the one they were in, a three-story ornamental building with spired roofs and maliciously grinning gargoyles along the eaves. Fa glared over at one that was next to her. If she had the energy she'd huck a rock at it, just to try to take that grin off of it's face. She certainly wasn't going to waste what little amunition she had scavenged.

She had sworn that she'd never touch a gun again, not since before she was a teenager and her father and brother had taken her hunting and she'd done something very stupid. But here she was, a handgun, magazine half-empty, hanging from her waist-belt, her sharpened hatchet within reach on the right-hand side of her pack. (It kind of figured; she was left-handed but could only aim a gun with her right. She really did think she was put together backwards, sometimes...) She'd used the damned thing and had nearly sprained her wrist in doing so, and while she wasn't happy about it, at the very least it had saved hers and Kin's lives.

Kin'... that's part of the reason that she was even up here, now. Not on the roof, necessarily, but up here in north Malton. If it wasn't for the blonde scientist, Fa would still be dead--or undead, as it were, possibly reveling in doing the very things that she abhorred, now. Killing, that was. And then, if it weren't for Kin' and somebody else had seen fit to revive her, Fa would probably be a hunched over, barely-getting-by survivor on the south side, fighting for scraps of food and perhaps even just to keep from being taken advantage of, physically. But having the other woman stick around had stirred something in the young woman. A protective instinct, perhaps. Whatever it was, it had led Fa to try harder, to push them both, and therefor to succeed where other people simply weren't. At least they were both fed, both in decent condition; they'd made friends and allies across the city where, if either were alone, they might have simply drifted by.

But now they were nearing the end of their long expedition...

Fa wasn't sure what to think of that.

She could see the tall central tower that heralded the Durston Walk General College, and she knew that, orienting from that landmark, her apartment building was only several blocks north. She was half-afraid to see what would be there when she returned, considering the state of most of the thoroughly looted buildings in the city. She'd be silly to think that the only reason she came up here was to check on her cat. She'd be silly to hope that even her cat had survived for this long on her own... she'd be silly to think that she could collapse into her single bed and close her eyes, and open them again and face a familiar room, a familiar situation--that everything would go back to normal.

But... that was why she was up here, she guessed, upon reflecting about it.

No, she was here because Kin' was here and the other woman had business up here, as well... she wasn't just trying to fulfill her own small fantasies.

Whatever the case was (and she wasn't going to think about it anymore, right now), Fa pushed back from the edge of the old roof and made her way over snow-covered, pebble-covered tarmac to the roof-access door. She pulled her hood back as she entered the not-much-warmer main floor, returning to Kin', passing other people who made this building their home.

"Everything seems alright," she said, setting down next to the woman and the nice little fire that had been set up earlier, pulling off her mitts to warm her calloused hands over the meager heat. "I didn't see much activity. We can probably rest here a few hours and then, if you don't mind, I'd like to find a way a little further north." She grinned at the long-haired blonde just a little. "Almost home, for me, and then we can get working on what you need to do."
Mystic Dragon
Great Wyrm

Post by Mystic Dragon »

Kin pushed her glasses up her nose with one finger and smiled back. It was the same nervous smile she always wore, somewhat tight around the edges and never fully expressing happiness. Her eyes were constantly on the verge of darting towards the door, or the window, or any other access point a zombie might burst through. Seven months back, even three months back, she hadn't been that way. This life had changed her.

Where once Kinrratiayath, a fake name she used to hide her true identity, had been a cheerful and admittedly naive individual, now she was just a little more wary and almost constantly paranoid. Things she would have been open about a few months before she now kept entirely hidden. Even from Fa.

"That's good news. After what it took to get here, I'm ready for a break." She grinned guilelessly, the bags under her eyes and the lines marking her young face dragging down what could have been a happy look.

How easy would it be to tell her what she had to do up here? How hard would it be to explain it so that Fa wouldn't end up killing her? That thought, the thought of death, kept her from saying many things. She'd been dead so many times now. Zombies, crazed people, her own attempts. Yet always, she had to come back to this Hell.

"I'm making some soup." She stated cheerily. "It's the packaged kind. I'm not sure how old it is, or how clean the snow is... or the pot that I found..." Kin paused, staring dubiously at the concotion slowly bubbling away in the fire's embers. "But... it's food."
https://renaissancebookpress.com/2017/0 ... tlin-caul/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

Fa smiled back, taking a moment to look at the brew before making eye-contact with the other woman. She knew what Kin's smile meant--the tightness of it, the forced sincerity of it. It was about the best that most people could manage these days, (unless they'd gone completely insane, but that was another point altogether,) so she didn't begrudge the other blonde for it. Hers, she hoped, would be a little more reassuring--she put whatever warmth she could muster into it.

It was easier to be happy when one only thought in the moment. That's why she wasn't going to ask Kin' just what her business was up here. The other woman had never been forward about it, and since Fa's first attempt, she hadn't asked since. She could wait for the other woman to tell her, or she could try to be content with never knowing. If they ended up splitting ways (she wasn't sure she could stand that, right now, so she clamped down on the thought,) and the woman never told her, then so be it. Fa had done things that she didn't want to speak of, either.

So instead of asking Kin' about that, she leaned over the pot and sniffed at it, and grinned a little wider. "Hey, it smells good, at least." She nudged Kin a little, gently, in the way that a friend does, "you sure you weren't a chef by night?"

<hr>

((X3 We should do something with Mullen and Fellis, get a feel for them before throwing them in. Want to start something like that? Maybe tracking some horde's movements through the suburb or someut?))
Mystic Dragon
Great Wyrm

Post by Mystic Dragon »

Kin' giggled, swaying back under the force of the gentle nudge. She returned it in kind when she swayed the other way.

"I'm pretty sure. Unless you count microwave dinners as gourmet." The pot went from calm to boiling in a matter of seconds then. Frothy white bubbles spilled over the sides and splashed, hissing, onto the hot embers. Grabbing a ratty old towel she'd been keeping with her, Kin' gingerly grabbed the sides of the pot and lifted it out of the fire.

She set it on the ground and went to grab the bowls, but the soup wasn't done boiling yet. A few droplets lept up from the receeding bubble line and landed on the back of her hand. With a surprised yelp, she put her hand up to her mouth and sucked on the reddened area.

Chef indeed.

<hr>

((X3 Sure, but the tracking will be Fellis-style!))

Fellis was very good at what he did. Of course, he could say that now since there was no one around to contredict him. All the special doctors were either zombified or holed up in hospitals with mad grins on their faces. He could say that he was good at what he did because he wasn't one of them. Fellis still had his sanity, or what would pass for sanity in the odd little man.

His hair was short and messy, dirty blonde with a few darker streaks. His choice of clothing made him look like a butcher at a bar-b-que, especially since his apron sported a happy "Kiss the Cook" sign. Old blood stains smeared a few of the letters. Those that had fallen onto his brightly flowered Hawaiian shirt almost blended in. The worst of them were covered by the apron though. He had traded in his cargo shorts for cargo pants a few sizes too big. A gigantic bullshead buckle and belt kept them up on his hips, the excessive amount of extra belt dangling off to the side. Despite the cold weather, he still wore his flipflops. Fellis never went anywhere without his flipflops.

His brand of sanity was a little off from most.

"So I hear there's zombies outside." He quipped conversationally to a man sitting beside him. The old war vetran had been eyeing Fellis oddly since he'd arrived, arm in arm with Mullen, another military man. His plethora of guns did little to scare Fellis away. The hard, cold look on his face was merely an open invitation for comradery.

When the vet said nothing, Fellis cheerfuly continued. "Yep. Lots of zombies. We're tracking some, you know. Are you?"

The man said nothing again, merely glared at Fellis and coughed.

"Say, you sound sick. I'm a medic. Never really got onto the field, but I'm still very good at what I do. Want me to take a look?" He reached out to help the man out of his oversized coat and was rewarded with a wordless snarl. Muttering something vaguely insulting under his breath, the war vet got up and shuffled away to another hiding spot.

Fellis smiled. Pulling up his pack, he set out some blankets, a bunsen burner he had made, and two packets of instant soup. By the time Mullen got back from scouting out their building, the food would be ready and beds would be made.

He always got the best spots in the building.
https://renaissancebookpress.com/2017/0 ... tlin-caul/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

Fa was immediately alert. "What happened?" she exclaimed, hands up and ready to help if need be.

((XD I'm sorry, I can't think of anything else to post for her right now. I hope you don't mind some one-liners, considering it's mostly conversation at this point?))

<hr>

Mullen was a resigned man. Well, not from the army, but to life in general. He still tried to do his best to keep the city scourge-free, but that was a lot to ask from the scattered troops (he didn't recognize anybody up here, aside from the people he had met since he regained his bearings,) that were now calling Malton home.

Luckily, he had backup. It wasn't the best backup, but it was backup none the less. The unfortunate thing about it was that most of the time, he'd rather be away from Fellis, even if the other man was well-skilled with all kinds of weapons and had saved him on more then one occasion.

So when they entered the building, he was first to volunteer to go <strike>looting</strike> looking for supplies, and asked Fellis to find them a spot to settle in for the evening.

Having the man hang off of his arm like that just as they entered the crowded lobby had been horribly embarrassing--but it wasn't the first time it had happened.

Like I said, he was resigned to his fate.

In any case, he was quick to disappear back through the station to see what he could find and, in the case that somebody wasn't guarding their suppliles, take whatever was useful. No, he didn't like doing it, but they needed more ammunition where they could find it, at least, until he could get his hands on some kind of reloader... but that was a different story altogether.

He'd managed to make his way through all three stories of the building before winding up at the roof-access, and there he passed a young blonde woman who was slipping in from the cold. "Evening," he grinned at her, and she smiled and nodded before hurrying back down the stairs. He liked to see people smile, it always boosted his own moral. His own was still in place as he came out the door, even as a gust of cold wind unexpectedly pushed him half a step away. He forced the door closed and shivered, checking his coat-zipper to make sure it was all the way up, pulling his hood over his head.

As soon as he was close enough to the rim of the building, he began a fairly basic survey. Binoculars came up, and his grin faded as he peered down various streets. Like usual, he could see them at the corners of the hospital a couple of blocks south, and the occasional shuffler in the middle of the street, or standing up against one building or another. He did a full circuit, and came back to the south again, and in that time, a splinter of the creatures had broken off from the main group and seemed to be heading north.

Typical. He could swear that they were more intelligent then their groaning, animalistic natures gave away... (well, it seemed logical... they had at one point been, and could usually be returned to a human state!) or maybe they could just tell that there was more of a population inside a buildling like this one.

Whatever, he tucked his binoculars back inside his heavy coat and retreated back downstairs.

When he returned to Fellis, the bizarre field medic already had everything set up, and food on the go.

Mullen dropped down to his knees beside his packs where he'd left them, then began yet another routine of his--checking weapons. While he hadn't found much in the way of ammo, it was still a force of habit to go over them and make sure that they were clean and functioning and, really, it helped to calm him down.

"You always get the best spots," he commented, ejecting a magazine from one of his several sidearms, counting the bullets, sighing, then slotting them back into place. Before Fellis could get too smug, he continued, "I think we're going to be seeing trouble tonight; a half-dozen are moving north from Theodore General and if they get wind that there are a lot of people in here, there'll be more." He spoke quietly, just in case somebody caught wind of his observations. If somebody paranoid heard what he was saying he was certain that they'd be shoving every heavy object in front of every window, thusly making it impossible to shoot from inside, and even worse, if defenses were deployed outside, they wouldn't be able to retreat. He'd long since learned--the hard way--that it was hard to motivate people to work together. He wasn't the kind of man that could instantly command people to do his bidding, in fact, more then once his announcements had led to scuffles between people he didn't even know. Sometimes he didn't get people...

He was shuffling shells, now, slipping two each into his pair of double-barrel shotguns. Funny, he'd never expected that he'd be operating guns like the pair he had now. They weren't nearly as efficient as even the piss-cheap semi-automatic that he'd been given when he dropped into the city, but everyone seemed to own one, here. The place had always been notoriously backwater for a big-city--but he wasn't about to complain. He'd rather have a shotgun between him and a zombie then nothing at all...

He noticed the soup that Fellis had started, and grimaced. "Think we should keep watch here and join in on the fun, or take our leave and work cleanup? Things could get messy, there's a lot of trigger-happy folks in here, and as far as we know, they can hardly aim a gun, let alone knock a zombie over. We might get some wildfire in here if things get desperate."

((>_> I don't know anything about zee military, so let's just pretend that everything he said sounded more military-y and go with that. XD))
Mystic Dragon
Great Wyrm

Post by Mystic Dragon »

Kin' hid her hands behind her back sheepishly, thumb rubbing over the sore area gently.

"Nothing." She laughed, the sound strained and weak. "Just a little burn. It'll be fine in a moment."

((S'ok. I like shorter posts for conversation.))

<hr>

Fellis waved a hand dismissively, the other rhythmically stirring the soup. "Let them shoot themselves silly for a bit, then we'll waltz in like big heros. Works every time."

The shaggy, blonde medic leaned over to his travelling companion, a foxish grin on his face. "Especially when there's a handsome man involved."
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

"Oh pffle," Fa replied, still looking half-concerned, "that's not the first time you've told me it 'was just a little' this, or 'just a little that' and it really was something bad!" But now she was grinning, and she leaned forward, though not quite enough to put her in Kin's personal space , "besides, if you're not careful I'll have to kiss it better." She stuck out her tongue, and then giggled. And her stomach rumbled. "Ohh, I'm starved, let's eat!"

She got out her all-purpose mug and began to serve herself. "At least it's not burnt, huh?"

<hr>

"You think far too highly of me," Mullen replied, even if Fellis had been talking about himself. He wasn't about to let the other man's completely tactless flirtation get him too nervous; he didn't necessarily mind it, since he could always punch the blonde in the face if it came right down to 'no' not being enough... it was when the field medic did things in public that made him want to shoot himself in the face. There was nothing like being surrounded by men with the mindset of a juvenile and trigger-happy fingers...

But Mullen wasn't too worried about that at the moment. He was finished with his weapons and now he was simply listening to the gentle murmur of many people in one building together, waiting for the tension to rise--a scream, a shout, a warning... something to alert him and Fellis.

...And there it was. Mullen cocked his head as the volume suddenly rose in the building. They weren't close enough to the main doors to hear any clamboring, but he was certain that the group of zombies would be at the barricades by now. People were beginning to move faster, now, towards the doors or up to the second or third floors, as their nature's permitted.

Mullen gave Fellis a look. "Well, your decision. If one of us wakes up dead it's not my fault."
Mystic Dragon
Great Wyrm

Post by Mystic Dragon »

Kin giggled and made a show of absolute horror at Fa's offer. It was all just fun and games, and it did them both a service. Neither wanted to be left to brood about the world around them. Given that the rest of their slumming buddies were either nervous gun-toters or morbid-looking civilians, what they'd discovered in friendship was a haven away from reality.

She ladelled out her own helping of soup into an old pottery mug. The sides were uneven, the lip was unprofessionally smoothed, and the smilie face indented into the side looked more like a leering grimace. It was shoddy work from untrained hands, but Kin had fallen in love with it. There was something about it that reminded her of the way things used to be. Not just seven months ago, but years ago. Before she'd even wanted to be a biologist.

The two of them began to eat and the room was left with the sleepy murmuring of the people around them. No one else seemed to remember how to laugh except these two.

They could scream though.

Only a few minutes into their peaceful meal, the girls were rudely interrupted by shouts and shots from the floor below. People began to run; upstairs to get away, downstairs to help fight. Startled, Kin nearly dropped her mug and ended up spilling a bit more of the hot soup onto her already scalded hand.

<hr>

Fellis waved a hand dismissively. He loved being able to do that. Make light of a tense situation because he was the one in charge. Oh sure, he let Mullen lead sometimes. Yet most of the time, Fellis was the one to say where, when, how, and who to kill.

Not that he did kill much. Mullen had threaten to take away his guns after the last 'episode'.

"Let them run." He replied as he got out two bowls for the soup. "In a few minutes, they'll be sending the wounded back to sweet, wonderful Fellis for some tender loving care. We won't have to worry about the barricades going down for another hour or so."

A shattering of glass and a rejoinder of high pitched screams caused Fellis to look up with a frown.

"Unless they find the windows. Darn brain munchers." The medic sighed, put aside his food, and picked up his weapons. "Well we came here to hunt, right? Lets get to it!"
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

((>.> Did we put Mullen and Fellis on the second floor, too?))

Fa immediately went into a defensive crouch off of her knees as soon as it became apparent that the station was coming under attack. She set her mug down and reached for her pack, her hatchet coming easily from its loose straps when she tugged at it. She made no move to stand, however. "Just our luck," she grumbled, automatically giving Kin a look, making sure that she was okay as the havoc began to build as people were shouting back and forth at one another, and as the sounds of barricades and gunfire began to build below. "We settle down for two minutes..."

<hr>

"They won't be coming back to you if you get a bullet through the forehead," Mullen replied, less jovial now that people began to get really busy. The constant high, noisy bang's of pistol fire, underlined by the less sporadic but much more reverberating, loud shotgun fire was enough noise in itself, but now he fancied he could hear a strange, gutteral but noisy moaning. "Oh, great, they're calling in for dinner," he noted, shrugging his pair of double-barrel weapons over his shoulders and feeding ammo into whatever pockets were available.

<hr>

If everyone was attracted to the main mass of zombies (growing, now, as feral members heard and meambled towards the group that was making such a racket) then nobody had time to take note of a few much more clever (but no less malicious) beasts that were pulling open the employee-only doors at the back of the building. Nobody said that all zombies were mindless eating machines, after all, and these four had been doing their job for a long time now, and were very good at it. They snuck into the building without further notice, spreading out into two pairs and moving upwards, through a fire-exit stairwell to avoid the gunfire towards the front entrance.
Mystic Dragon
Great Wyrm

Post by Mystic Dragon »

((Let's put them on the first floor just so there's some running around involved. I'm moving Kin down there too. :3))

Kin smiled shakily at her friend. She knew the comment was meant to lighten the mood, so she should laugh. However, Kin found it very difficult to be merry when walking death swarmed around her. She had gotten very good at being prepared though.

Setting down her own mug, choosing a place that would make sure it didn't get broken, she set on her pack ferociously. Near the bottom was where she kept her medkits and syringes. Far away from prying eyes and greedy hands. They'd already had a few spots of trouble where desperate people tried to steal their stuff, and the fights that resulted from it.

With a quick tug, out came a rolled up pack filled with all her medical equipment. It was her weapon in this war. The axe Fa had found for her lay as unbloodied as it had the day she'd gotten it, right beside her sleeping roll.

"I- I'm going to go help. Downstairs." She stuttered in a small voice. Kin found she had trouble with pronounciation when she was frightened.

<hr>

"Very true. And I have such a pretty forehead." The blonde medic mused. Standing up, pack in one hand and shotgun in the other, he looked to his buddy with a grin. "Alright then. You go have some fun. I'll be in the background, doing my thing. You'll know where to find me."

Fellis leaned in close, dropping his voice to a conspiratory whisper. No matter the situation, he always had some joke to make. "Just look for the prettiest boys here."
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

"Yeah," Fa replied, getting to her feet as well and slipping her hatchet through her belt-loop. It was her all-purpose backup, now that she had possession of an axe with a longer reach. That, she took in her hands, and she gave Kin' a nod. Time to go... "This way," she suggested, moving quickly, now.

She took the lead, moving away from the main, open-air stairwell, seeing as how it was clogged with people waiting at the banister for the doors to fall, considering that it was a good place to pick off targets. She didn't want to bump into anyone with a loaded gun, especially with people as tense as they were.

She didn't realize that the other people moving up the hind stairwell weren't what they seemed until they were coming up the same flight of steps as her, and even then she was surprisingly slow to react. "Oh!" She exclaimed, a wordless noise of surprise, as the lead zombie pushed forward into her, pushing her off balance on the grimy stairwell and causing her to fall backwards, into the sharp stairs. It was only by luck that she didn't smack her head open on a corner, but as it was she was dazed for a moment by the weight and the series of sharp weights running parallel across her spine. And then a sharper pain in her wrist where the bastard was crushing her arm that had been thrown up in the last moment to protect herself. Fa could feel the dead weight quiver a little as it pressed her down, could smell the heavy fetid wreak of a corpse that had had a long time to ripen. "Kin!" She tried to gasp between clenched-closed teeth, the best she could do as she wrestled with the creature, trying to push it back and off of her.

<hr>

((x_x I absolutely suck at fighting scenes. XD I don't know what to do, now, should I have Mullen hear fighting and be all ":O!" and then come to the rescue, or will you do something with Fellis?))
Mystic Dragon
Great Wyrm

Post by Mystic Dragon »

((Aaaarg... sorry. -.- No excuse. Anyway, hopefully this is reason enough for them to come a'runnin'.))

It had been months since the outbreak began. In those months, Kin had fought, healed, revived, and become one of the living undead so many times that she had lost count. Still, when faced with a horde of them breathing down her neck, she could only think of one thing to do.

She screamed.

The scream echoed long and loud off the walls of the hallway, bouncing back into the foyer despite the cacopheny of gun shots and groans filling the air.

After the screamed died out and the moans of the undead took its place, Kin could do nothing but cower on the stairs. She sank down to the cold, damp cement and clutched her bag close to her chest. They were too close, and Fa was already wounded. She didn't dare fight the one that had her friend pinned, knowing that she was too weak to so much as gain its attention.

Numbly her hands began to fumble for one of the syringes she had at the bottom of her bag. Two at least, she knew. Two that would reduce the number of zombies standing over them... Hopefully.

She took her eyes away from their approach for only a second, but it was enough for another one of the foul smelling beasts to take advantage of. he lunged, fingers curved into grotesquely half-rotted claws, and grabbed at her throat.
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

At least half of the people in the station heard the scream, but most of them discounted it. They were too busy focusing on the attack from the front (the last of the barricades around the main doors were in splinters and piles and the doors themselves were a ratty mess, easy enough for the stronger of the horde to push through), or they assumed the scream came from some civilian who just couldn't handle the thought of these getting through... or they didn't really bother to think one way or another.

The only reason Mullen took heed of it was because... well, there wasn't really a reason for someone to be screaming like that, not when the threat had been contained to the front doors... or had it?

He made his way quickly towards the back of the building, passing Fellis on his way and gesturing for the field-medic to accompany him as he went.

The scream... and groaning (zombie groans! :O) had come from from the hind stairwell, and he could see through the smashed bit of glass in the heavy door that the door to outside had been wedged open. T_T' Leave it to idiot civilians to put all of the barricades around the main entrance and leave all the others unguarded.

Not that he had time to sit and bitch--he was shoving the fire-exit door open to get into the stair-well, moving up it quickly with a drawn pistol, spotting the hind-end of this raggedy attack-group, and, his teeth gritted, he let off the first shot.

It was deafening, the reverb rattling through the echoing concrete stairwell and leaving his ears ringing. The zombie had turned about, now, alerted by the convenient bullet lodged in its chest cavity, and now it was lurching down the stairs at him. The second upright zombie was following suit--he could see two more already at the throats of a pair of civilians and he realized just how dire their situation was.

Alright, well, he'd deal with the two coming at him first. It took the rest of his clip to get the first down--and narrowly avoided it as the zombie tumbled forward, down the stairs. The second was on him as he drew another pistol and, before he could aim the rotter had slapped the weapon out of his hand.

"V_V You're a smart one, aren't you?" Mullen quipped, before the two began to grapple.

((Yay grappling! It's like... appling! XDD))

<hr>

Fa was having a less wonderful time as her assailant dug its teeth into her, high, those rotted things leaving gouges in her cheek and jawline. She let out a half-wail, half-grunted noise as they brought a sharp pain, and fought her axe up, to the creature's neck. She pushed and managed to get the monster off of her before it could tear her cheek right out, but now its hands were free to go at her and dirty nails pressed hard at her ribs. She screamed and kicked and twisted as best she could, hoping foremost to push the fucker off of her and down the stairs. When the ring of fired bullets blew her ear-drums out she was only half-aware that they were being 'rescued'; she was too busy with her own attacker to be feeling anything along the lines of 'grateful'.
Mystic Dragon
Great Wyrm

Post by Mystic Dragon »

"Oop. Damsel in distress." Quipped the medic when the scream went off like an alarm. He finished bandaging his current patient with a quick tug to secure the wrap, then packed up his bags. There were other wounded fighters milling around, looking dazed and confused. A few other healer-type people would nab one of them, direct them to somewhere safe, then begin the healing process. It was like fishing, only the intent was to help the fish instead of stick a hook in their flesh.

Mullen was already off and running. The poor boy hadn't gotten any decent action in days. Fellis noted that his ass could use a good tapping, but right now the action he wanted was fast and bloody. Fellis was up for that too.

The blonde-haired fruit fell into step behind his gun-toting companion. His pack of first-aid kits, replenishing food, and spare bullets jingled and bounced on his back. The one shotty he carried was too securely strung beneath the backpack to be of use to him right away, but his two hand cannons were readily available. One on each hip, and shortly thereafter, one in each hand.

Mullen burst through the doors like a living battering ram. He knew something was wrong with this picture. Fellis was beginning to feel a bit uneasy, spurred on by the sight they were greeted with in the back stairwell. The brain rotted bastards had found a back door.

Hefting his guns, Fellis fired off two shots. One blew a chuck out of the head of a green-skinned zombie bent over a helpless little girl, and the other smashed a hole through the wall beside the head of another struggling damsel. Fellis cringed, offering a weak wave to the bloodied woman.

"Sorry!"

<hr>

Stars burst in front of her eyes, pain laced through her head and chest, and pressure built on her throat. She couldn't breathe. Kin clawed and scrabbled at the clammy, cold hands crushing her windpipe, but could do nothing more than rip away layers of old flesh. Her mouth gaped open in a desperate attempt to drag in air. The foul stench of the zombie, whose face loomed mere inches away from her own, nearly made her retch.

A shot went off, and another and another. Suddenly, the pressure was gone. The stars were gone. Putting a hand to her throat to clear away the lifeless claws, she drew in a deep breath. The zombie slumped forward, hairless head coming to rest on her collar bone. What remained of its brains oozed out onto her shoulder.

Kin made a face and shoved it away. The body hit the stairs and tumbled down with a few wet smacks, leaving the rattled scientist free to help her friend.
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

Fa was still struggling when she felt the weight of the zombie lift, could see Kin and a stranger from a highly skewed angle as they dealt with the creature enough that she could scramble out of reach, could gain her balance--and when she was sure that she hadn't broken anything, help them finish it off. "Hold it still!" she exclaimed, her axe balanced in both hands. When she was sure that she wasn't going to hit either of them, she brought the heavy metal blade down, landing it solidly in the rotters scalp.

Any satisfaction that she might have felt at watching the corpse slump between Kin and Fellis was tempered by the stinging in her cheek, by the sharp pain up and down her chest where the monster had been trying to dig with foul claws. A wave of dizziness overcame her accompanied by an uncomfortable tingling feeling--infection--and she slumped back down to the now bloody stairs herself. Her axe clattered to the steps as she took a shallow breath. "Oh," she breathed, another wave of dizziness making the world swirl out of focus around her. "I don't feel very good..."

<hr>

And the last of them, the rotter that was grappling with Mullen, discovered that it isn't a very good idea to fight men-with-guns. How it found out was as such: first there was nothing between it and Mullen but the man's bare fists, then, in a moment of scramble, there was the cold barrel of a third pistol pointed up against the base of the zombie's throat. Mullen had it backed against the side of the stairwell and turned his head away as a mist of blood and gore exploded only a moment later, and the last zombie was down. He kicked at it as it fell to the steps, spitting and wiping away the oooze that now coated his face. "Augh," spit, "egh!" spit, "aaawurgh." spit.

He looked a few steps up, and saw the three of them, two standing and one sitting. "Did we get here in time?" he asked, hoping the answer would be a positive.

((XD I can't type today, it's kind of funny!))
Mystic Dragon
Great Wyrm

Post by Mystic Dragon »

"Fa?!" Kin squeaked, a high note of panic entering her voice. She dropper to her knees beside her friend and yanked out one kit after another. The bandages came out, as well as the salves and infusions that would halt the infection. Needle and thread, disinfectants, everything that could possibly be used was strew across the cold steps. She set to work without so much as a backwards glance at their saviours.

Fellis holstered his pistols and grinned like the fool he was. Blood spattered his Hawaiian shirt, flecked his pale skin, and sat in gorey clumps by his feet. Fa had done a good job of slicing that zombie's head open. Unfortunately, what gray matter it still contained was mushed enough to spill everywhere. Fellis didn't mind. He was quite accustomed to being covered in blood by then.

The blonde man ran a hand through his mess of hair and turned an inquiring look on his friend.

"Aren't we supposed to be showered with praise now?"
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

Mullen staggered up the last half dozen steps, still shaken from coming that close to a rotter--he hadn't had /that/ kind of trouble for weeks, now. He looked down at the pair of women and gave Fellis a chastizing glare. "You're expecting praise from someone half-dead?" Dropping down to his knees now, he addressed the civillians, "you two need any more help?" he asked, eyeing the pulped corpses down the stairs, "or do you mind if we start dumping bodies?"

Fa was gripping the edge of the stairs with white knuckles, shaking and cold as shock mixed with the potent infection that bloody shuffler had 'gifted' her with. Her eyes remained dead-ahead focussed on nothing. She'd almost been killed. She /felt/ like it, certainly--she was surprised that she was alive, even know. The blonde woman allowed her brain-splattered traveling partner to work on her without actually acknowledging her presence. If she wasn't really paying /Kin/ any attention, the last thing she was about to do was to answer Mullen, let alone shower Fellis with thankful hugs and kisses. It was up to Kin to answer for the both of them. X3
Mystic Dragon
Great Wyrm

Post by Mystic Dragon »

Fellis shrugged, crossed his arms over his chest, and leaned back against a non-blood spattered part of the wall. It seemed it was still too early for his sense of humour. Maybe a little later then.

Kin, on the other hand, was frantically trying to organize everything she knew she had to do into an order of necessity. Contain and eliminate the infection. Check.

A needle was unwrapped, filled from a bottle, and jabbed into Fa's arm without warning. The plunger dispersed a clear liquid into her bloodstream, which immediately set to work killing the alien bacteria. Then there was the matter of getting the worst of her wounds patched up, starting with her face.

"Uh... yeah. Dump the bodies. Clear the area." Kin recited the same words she'd heard dozens of times before. Her hands were covered in blood already, the needle and thread slick between her fingers. "Then I need water and a blanket. Lots of blankets. And a way to carry her. We need to get her somewhere warm so she can rest."
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

Fa winced as the needle pierced her skin and the cold contents swirled into her system, the shock of the sudden pain helping to clear her head a little. She closed her eyes when Kin went to work on that cheek-wound, trying her hardest not to jerk away as a different kind of needle began to sew the worst of her wound back together. Her teeth were gritted close and her fingers were balled into fists on the slick stairs, but otherwise she remained perfectly still.

When Kin spoke, Mullen simply nodded a reply. "C'mon, Fellis," he said, "gimme a hand with dumping these out where the came, huh? Unless you want to grab the supplies the lady asked for."

With that, he began to drag the inert bodies down the stairwell, hoping to god that they didn't begin to move again before he had them piled outside (and the fucking fire-exit nice and barricaded!)

((Oh, and one of the guys from the survivor diaries opened up a yahoo group here, if you want to join!

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/StreetsOfMalton/

It's membership-approved-by-owner status right now, just so you know. X3 Not as good a place to RP as this forum, but it's a nice backup, right? :) ))
Mystic Dragon
Great Wyrm

Post by Mystic Dragon »

Hmmm.... muss himself up more by dragging out zombie bodies, or fetch the usual supplies? Tough choice. Fortunately for Fellis, his reasoning for picking one over the other was well based in a long history of having done this plenty of times before.

"Yanno, I know exactly where to get some good, warm blankets, a bowl of ice water, and some stuff we could fix into a stretcher." The medic chirped happily, thumbing towards the hall from which they'd come. "I'll go get that stuff and... uh... you have fun with the bodies. Ciao!"

Fellis took off for the front foyer once more. If he worked this right, he wouldn't be stopped by any panicing survivors along the way.

Kin, meanwhile, had redirected all her attention back on to Fa. The needle was a pain to thread and the copious amounts of blood made her job difficult. Sometimes she would have to stop so that she could tweezer out bits of nail and flesh, then pour disinfenctant into the gaping wound. The process was agonizingly slow.

"Stay with me, Fa." She murmured the common words of reassurance. "Don't fall asleep, okay?"
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

Mullen cast Fellis a sour stare as he booted a body down the short flight of steps into the alley-way behind the station. "And stay out," he muttered, wiping his grimey hands on nearly equally as grimey pants. He was then confronted with the conundrum of barricading the outward-pushing door. It only took him a few minutes to piece some things together, after dragging them through other parts of the station, to pile them back up in front of it... even if he had to be careful when stepping around to get back up the stairs.

By the time he was finished all of this, enough time had passed that Fa was pretty well numb to the stitches that Kin' was administering to her and, while the shock of being attacked by surprise was always great, it was no long immobilizing. She kept her eyes closed, but she was murmuring that she was alright so that Kin wouldn't assume she'd passed out. Mullen crouched down a little away from them, retrieving Fa's axe and resting it on his knee as he watched the pair interact. He felt sorry for them; while they certainly didn't seem incapable, there was something about watching civilians of this sort having to go through the hell that was Malton. He refrained from speaking, for now, waiting until Fellis came back. Not that he believed that Fellis would have any stirring speeches to give, but Mullen certainly didn't have anything to say that wouldn't sound as if it were interrupting them.
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

((>.>" And it looks like somebody actually set up an RP forum for everyone who wants to use it! :D Mystic, would you like to move play to here:

http://survivordiaries.proboards92.com/index.cgi

So that we're not filling up the Nexus with non-nexus-y RP? ^_^' That way we can introduce our characters to the others without just appearing out of nowhere? I can re-post everything in a thread there, if you want, and we can just play it from there.... or would you like to stay here because it's easier to remember to get to? :DD *just excited that there's an actual forum started up and stuff*))
Mystic Dragon
Great Wyrm

Post by Mystic Dragon »

((Yay! Move the stuff over. I'll hold off my post until it's set up.))
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

((Alright. ^_^ I have to get the guy to set up a new section in the forum, but as soon as he does that, I'll start transferring over.))
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

((9_9 Well, it's taking the guy forever to respond, so I moved our posts to our own thread. XD Link's here:

http://survivordiaries.proboards92.com/ ... 1142715663

No idea when we'll get a generic Malton board, so I plan on just using the Wyke Hills area, for now. ^_^))