IMPORTANT Re: Future of the Forum

A place for old threads that are just too important to delete. Talk to a Mod if you think a thread should be moved here.

Moderators: Mystic Dragon, Xalia, Shard

Rachael
Dragon

Post by Rachael »

I can also check what my site does for forums, since I just paid for the second year and have been messing around with a forum on there as is. Of course, I don't know bandwidth, and since I'm not up and edjicayted on phpBB files I don't know how well transferring might utterly not work. =)

And as time and money become available, I can donate here. =)
GildedLilly
Fledgling

Post by GildedLilly »

I can... donate about three dollars a month. That may not seem like more than petty change, but it's almost half the monthly payment. Y'see... I'm still on an allowance, so all I'd have to do was say "YO! Dad! Send monies to Phee this week!" and it would be done.

I'm not 18, so I can't use paypal myself, though.

Seriously, though. Eight dollars is less than what I regularly spend on coffee, and I really should be cutting back on those mocha frappichinos, anyways.

So, yeah. Put me down for 25 bucks a year.

Perhaps... I could make some jewelry? Dragon jewelry?

The question, now, is... where shall I find dragon beads? *runs off to Froogle*
WARN!NG: Contents in cup may be giddy. Do not goad or attempt to distract with something shiny.
Silver Midnight
Dragon

Post by Silver Midnight »

I've been filling out job applications, here, so I might be able to help a little...don't expect too much, though, trying to save up to see if I can't put myself through college. >.o

Dev, I understand entirely how you feel, just want you to know. When Astra told me I wasn't at all surprised, really. Just promise me one thing though: You'll bloody try to write more of those comics, put them up on DA or whatever! I want to see them, dangit!
Astra
Ancient Dragon

Post by Astra »

Someone rich needs to buy a server for their house so we can host the board on THAT and never worry about rates increasing or hosts changing or whatever :lol:
ImageImageImage
Shiolar
Dragon

Post by Shiolar »

Someone moderately rich already has one...

Unfortunately, my current connection won't support that bandwidth on top of everything else I use it for. If anybody's got a spare computer and a nice internet connection, then I can show them how to set up a server. Or, for a one-off fee of £75 (US$130-ish) I can get a second phoneline, which would allow me a second internet connection; I could probably get a 512kb connection for £10-£15 (US$15-25-ish) a month. I already have another spare computer. I think... *rummages through the piles of components* I have most of about three spare computers here.

As for free forums, if we went with that option, I'd suggest Invisionfree. The ads, while present, are small and colour coded, so they blend in nicely with the colours of the forums. And you can purchase ad removal for some nominal fee. Not sure how much it is.

They do backups very frequently, and downtime isn't as bad as Mirus' downtime over Christmas would suggest. That was an exceptional incidence, but I'd point out that when they got it back up, they hadn't lost ANY data. Not even the dragon I posted as the server was in the process of crashing.

And the real thing in favour of Invisionfree is that in a few months (currently predicted as being Spring 2006), they're having a major upgrade. Part of which, if I remember correctly, includes the ability to have data from other forums imported in. I'd have to check on that, but I'm sure I read it in the features they intend to bring in with the new upgrade.

Invisionfree also allows you to point a domain to it, so we could easily transfer deviant-uprising.com to another company that's cheaper (UK2 is £25 a year - about US$44, but that doesn't include hosting), and then set the new forums to use that domain. Then we'd still be able to use the same address.
Skysong
Dragon

Post by Skysong »

Another donator here! *waves* I have been doing commissions and could donate $20 or $30 or so ^_^
Samber
Dragon

Post by Samber »

Just got allowance, so if I can get my dad to send it that's about $5 I can put in.
Mystic Dragon
Great Wyrm

Post by Mystic Dragon »

I was thinking, if we go with the donator option then maybe us mods can set up some kind of reward system. Something to thank anyone who pitches in to keep this place alive.
https://renaissancebookpress.com/2017/0 ... tlin-caul/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Astra
Ancient Dragon

Post by Astra »

i have the slight problem with not owning any stamps, and furthermore not having the slightest idea where the post office is :oops: If someone set up a paypall account, then I could donate :lol: Okay, okay, I admit it, I'm paranoid of sending money, even in small amounts, through the postal system. I've done it before without issue, but its just a weird quirk of mine. Ah, the life of an idiot starving college student.
ImageImageImage
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

Hey, if you guys want, maybe we could set up some special templates that are available through donations? :\ I know that that makes it difficult for people who can't donate but really want things... but it might be a nice 'thank you' offer that's applicable to the community?
Astra
Ancient Dragon

Post by Astra »

Or like nifty avatar-things that say "Donor" on them, so everyone can see how 1337 you are. I have seen stuff like that on several dolling forums. I'd suggest a special subforum for donors only but I don't want the poor starving students among us to feel left out. Like I said, I can donate, but probably not a lot, because I have to do things like pay rent and such.

Oh, and Dev, we're sorry to see that you're leaving us, but I'm not surprised. It must be difficult to have your domain overrun with a pack of rabid females (and Shiolar) :wink: Thank you again for letting us use your domain, and sorry we raped the bandwidth so badly. We loooove you!
ImageImageImage
Skysong
Dragon

Post by Skysong »

While I'd donate anyway, the 'donate with reward' system is an interesting one XD Gaia's been doing it for years now!

I'd be willing to donate a Sam or two to the cause.. >_>
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

I'd be willing to donate avatar-icons and the occasional 'shiny!' template, if the need arises. X3
Kiara
Hatchling

Post by Kiara »

*raises hand* Well, not so active tho I am I still love you guys to death and drop by from time to time to see how things are going. Anyways, point of this post, I just bought a new domain, and it gives me 100 GB/month bandwidth.

I'm guessing that's enough to keep the forum up and alive and stuff, the rest of the domain shouldnt generate half of that, there are a few random bits of mine on there, and a couple of sub-domains but none of them are going to general masses of bandwidth.

So yeah, the offer is there if you want it. Like I said, I've just purchased the domain (end of december, after christmas) so it's going to be around for a good 12months definately, (although probably a couple more years too since it's got lots of useful features that my others dont so I'll prolly let them drop and use this one instead form here on out).
Mystic Dragon
Great Wyrm

Post by Mystic Dragon »

I could do a few profile backgrounds. Such as this one.
I'm way behind on comissions right now, but profiles are easy enough.
https://renaissancebookpress.com/2017/0 ... tlin-caul/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hksherra
Dragon

Post by hksherra »

Yeah! Yeah! Could donors get to be like... something spiffy, but not Wyrms? ^^
Midori
Dragon

Post by Midori »

I could donate at least $10 a year possibly more depends if my horse does something stupid and I have a good sized vet bill. Just I'd need an addy to send it to whoever is going to make the payments!
seraaches
Fledgling

Post by seraaches »

i could probably donate in about two months. . . once we've paid for my college. lollol

other than that. . . :/ i'm leery of free places, too, b/c of the crashes and wotnot. plus you never know when they're going to either drop the free option or start charging b/c the free one is just using too much bandwidth.

if i had any idea how to set up a server or anything, i'd talk to my husband about that. . . lol we've always wanted to set up our own server and wotnot. anyways, back to the donation thing, i'd prefer to donate through paypal. ^^

oh! and i think the starting our own cafepress or something would be awesome! but i constantly want to put my junk on t-shirts and stuff and just haven't sat down to do it yet. lol

/that
Hawkings Crest

"While I have no clue wot you're saying, I have deduced that your imagination has no coherence wotsoever."
~Kyouya-sama, Ouran High School Host Club