Suggest a Color Scheme!

For contests and challenges, free for all to join and create.

Moderators: Mystic Dragon, Xalia, Shard

JKatkina
Ancient Dragon

Suggest a Color Scheme!

Post by JKatkina »

Alright, I have the new Aven Cascatan (water dragon) templates all drawn up, but.. I can't quite settle on a color scheme.

So I need some help. :)

Suggest me a color shceme (preferably with visual aids)! It must have blue as a prominent color, doesn't matter what shade, and must be colorable by pencil crayon. :3

The winner will get the first of these babies to go out once I have them colored.

Have'at!

Image Image Image Image
Rachael
Dragon

Post by Rachael »

Heh, well then, just for random brain-splurge:

The lined, ridge portion over the shoulders and on the chest as a neon, glowish yellow, the body as a virbant blue, with red coloration similar to this beta image:

With the large body fins being the wings, so an almost straight veined look to the wings. Also would be nifty to have the tail fade from blue into a vibrant color.

Another suggestion:

This fish had me hypnotized. Heh.

Then you could do the following:

http://pro.corbis.com/images/AX042743.j ... 4511025c4}

I also think doing a parrotfish pattern, a la one of the following, would look awesome:

...Then again, the Indo-Pacific Blue Tang would also look awesome:

http://pro.corbis.com/images/JR005023.j ... 2610699a2}

And I'll stop now. ^__^;
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

Here you go, Kat!

I was thinking something along the lines of a (simplified) orca pattern, only instead of black and white, perhaps blue and a different pigment colour (much like Light dragons, only more spread across their body!)

Hope you like! (Seriously. XD *wants one of those kits!*)
Xenoqueen
Great Wyrm

Post by Xenoqueen »

Woah. o.o Totally new. So is the old uberfinny type now obsolete, or what?
LakotaWolf
Dragon

Post by LakotaWolf »

Here are my suggestions XD Kind of random, but it's the first thing that occurred to me:

Body mainly cream or other light color, with a few markings in light blue or another vivid color (such as dorsal spots!) Chest area should be another vivid shade, and is interchangeable.

A few more examples with other chest colors:
http://www.theglasswolf.com/juvietemp2.jpg
http://www.theglasswolf.com/juvietemp3.jpg
http://www.theglasswolf.com/juvietemp4.jpg
Lakota Windfang Sheean,
Professional Misanthropist
http://www.splintyr.com

Letting the days go by - Let the water hold me down
Letting the days go by - Water flowing underground
Into the blue again - After the money's gone
Once in a lifetime - Water flowing underground
JKatkina
Ancient Dragon

Post by JKatkina »

Bwaaahahaa -- *getting ideas* Okay, new rules: if I use your idea in combination with someone else's, you still get a dragon. XD

Phee: Nup, the uberfinnies are still around. These guys start appearing in the further reaches of dragon-held waters and rapidly start breeding into the existing population. >D Their genes are extremely dominant over the old Water types' specifically.
Image Image Image Image
Rachael
Dragon

Post by Rachael »

...XD Durr. Here:

Because I am odd. Six different ideas, from above post.
Xenoqueen
Great Wyrm

Post by Xenoqueen »

My own cross of fav fishie patterns: orca+manta+neon tetra!

Cacopheny
Dragon

Post by Cacopheny »

... for some reason, I don't see tropical fish color when I look at these XD Must be the dolphin-look it has to it. Makes me think mammal, and mammals aren't usually so brightly colored or wildly patterened as fish.... Fish are small, they have patterning like that so they can hide better. Big things like dragons wuold just really stand out, colored like that XD

It's boring, I know, but I keep thinking muted grays, blues, and purples, with maybe a touch of aqua-like green and gray-green and such. Patterning would be mostly fades, not sharp contrasts, maybe water-ripple-like dappling, like on the eight-legged water dragon you did ages ago (I know, that was actual water-reflection, but it'd look cool as a faint patterning, and be evolutionarily sound, for camoulflage).

Then again, you know, the other dragons don't get patterning, except the faint fringing on Fires and the pigmentation on Lights, so it seems kinda unfair to give patterning to these guys, you know? o.o The most I'd really think would be likely, if you don't want them to totally stand out as more complex and "better" than the other breeds, you might wanna stick with uber-simple. Fading points, maybe, or an even more simplified version of that orca patterning Terry offered.

... and I'd give you a ref, but I don't comp color, and trying to pencil-color a design would take way too long for something like this XP You'll just hafta imagine. You have a good imagination, right? XD

That all said... I wanna get one so that my explorer Water-and-selkie pair can discover them while out exploring the ocean >: D
The stupidest smart person you ever met.
jess d
Dragon

Post by jess d »

I was thinking dolphin/whale patterns, and I think it would look nice with a spotted dolphin pattern.
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c256/ ... phin20.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c256/ ... d20dol.jpg
JKatkina
Ancient Dragon

Post by JKatkina »

XDD I ended up doing an orca-esque pattern with a stripe of really bright, but tried to keep the rest muted. XD So really, I think I used Terry and Phe's ideas, with a hint of Gail's and Lakota's.

SO. guys. List me a color. >D
Image Image Image Image
Rachael
Dragon

Post by Rachael »

:: snerk :: Good job guys!

:: pets the animated gif :: 'Twas fun to participate in. =D
Xenoqueen
Great Wyrm

Post by Xenoqueen »

Eeeeeeee, yay! :D

I'ma gonna say... reddish-orange. Because blue base + orange accent = <3.
Cacopheny
Dragon

Post by Cacopheny »

Ummmmm. Lavender? ^^

BTW, those images you posted on the poll are lovely, yesh ^^
LakotaWolf
Dragon

Post by LakotaWolf »

I'd say... neon green XD
Lakota Windfang Sheean,
Professional Misanthropist
http://www.splintyr.com

Letting the days go by - Let the water hold me down
Letting the days go by - Water flowing underground
Into the blue again - After the money's gone
Once in a lifetime - Water flowing underground
JKatkina
Ancient Dragon

Post by JKatkina »

Well, here y'all are. X33 The sons and daughters of the deep Avengaean ocean. Stats up to you, but I'm always up for answering questions~

Lakota:

Gail:

Phe:
Image Image Image Image
Cacopheny
Dragon

Post by Cacopheny »

If only I'd posted before Phe XD That's such a lovely color combo.

Then again, so's mine : D :: cuddles her :: I'll get her up soon, prolly with tons of questions in the meantime. I have plot for 'er an everything >: D

Thank you! ^^
JKatkina
Ancient Dragon

Post by JKatkina »

X3 I'll remember that for the future!

^_____^ I'm glad you have something imagined for her, hun. :D
Image Image Image Image
Xenoqueen
Great Wyrm

Post by Xenoqueen »

Prettyyyyyy! ::cuddles her contrasty orange behbie::

And of course I got questions! And I post 'em here because they're basics I'm sure everyone would like to know. X3

First, size! I have the size-chart you made of Avengaeans... would I be correct in assuming these guys are the same size as the 'old' Waters?

Abilities! Gotta assume they can water-breathe like the original Waters. Anything else?

That... ridged structure on the breast. Whazzat?

...s'all for now. X3
JKatkina
Ancient Dragon

Post by JKatkina »

:3 Pretty much the same size, yep, cause I can't decide whether I want them bigger or smaller! X33 Maybe body mass a bit less, and they're probably shorter because I wanted their limbs to be rather short, but the wings make up for it. Hmm... I'll make a slightly updated size-chart, but the difference really is very small. :)

As for the chest-pouch! It's a bit of really elastic skin (ridges are tight folds) into which the dragon tucks its forepaws during travel-swimming or speed-swimming, meant to streamline it a bit more along with tucking the elbows tight up into the body. I dunno if it'd actually work, not being a marine biologist, but it's a cool thought. ^__^

I'm making these guys amphibious moreso than their predecessors. I don't know quite how but they have the ability to breathe both air and water, though being out of water for decent periods of time dries them out something nasty. >.> If they have homes on land, they'll have reaaallly big swimming pools or live on a lake, and bathe or take a dip many times a day, unless they're using magic to keep damp.

You can thank Terry for some of these cool features, by the way. :33 We had one VSCM class where it was just like, "AVENS! *brainbelch!*"
Image Image Image Image
Cacopheny
Dragon

Post by Cacopheny »

How are they being introduced to other Avens, originally? I mean, you say there's pockets of 'em far out in the ocean, and you say Asuka talks to a few Water parents about having their kids be the new kind, but which comes first? And how quickly does news spread?

Affects my plotness >.> My two deep-sea explorers were gonna meet mine, and be all "what the heck? O.o " ^^ Won't have quite the same reaction if the news is already out and all over the place, ya know XD

Also... weren't the original Waters (yeah, so I can't remember how to spell the whole new name ^^' ) pretty amphibeous, too? I know they're not supposed to be away from water for too long, either ^^

Aaaaand... these guys're still furry, right? >.> Can they fly?

And, last but not least, will there be a third, adult image? XD
Xenoqueen
Great Wyrm

Post by Xenoqueen »

Here's the link for my little guy. Dunno his personality yet, but I do know he's being adopted by my Giveaway Cascatan (must train self into new terms! X3) Tristis. :3

http://xenoqueen.deviant-uprising.com/A ... edoran.htm
JKatkina
Ancient Dragon

Post by JKatkina »

And finally, the adults for these guys. XD Sorry that took so long. >.> I forgot for a bit.

Image Image Image Image
jess d
Dragon

Post by jess d »

Those are beautiful; I'll have to try for one of them soon!
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

Oh yeah! A colour-scheme! XD

Gold, maybe? But... can you put it on hold until I send in some candidates, so I can get it in-character-ishly? @.@' I don't know what I'd do with mine if I just got it as a random giveaway!
Xenoqueen
Great Wyrm

Post by Xenoqueen »

Eeee! Hahah, that really shows off the streamlined-ness! :D Lovely!