Healing Den Summer Swim update

For all your update needs.

Moderators: Mystic Dragon, Xalia, Shard

Shard
Great Wyrm

Healing Den Summer Swim update

Post by Shard »

Okay there's a new page for the updated links and such. More extensive rules are on the prior pages (linked), but you get the idea.

http://www.geocities.com/healing_den/hd-swim2k5.htm

I removed reserves.
I added the 4 new candidates/sponsor that Jess and Shiolar gave me.

I made notes about the others that I need either a new url, or whether they're still going to be included at all. Until I know those, I will not include them in any final hatching, and give newer and updated pages priority on dragons.
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

O.o Hey shard? Do you know if there's still links to the pairs page? I would like to send someone in, as I love your templates... but many water-dragon-types that I've seen floating around don't appeal to me that much. :\ Any way to get an idea of whether there's anything other then serpentine-things-with-wings?
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

Well, actually, there were *never* links to the dragon pages. :( I'm so bad about that. I was actually changing dreamweaver program versions while making that page so I was unable to do it right.

If you want to just send a sponsor or candidate, just specify clearly that you'd prefer something different from the typical look - I guarantee there *are* some very interesting dragons in this clutch.

edit - I can also put up a couple more taunting samples.
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

:O There were taunting samples somewhere?! *missed that completely!* XD Could you point me in the right direction? I'd like to oogle! XD

*Edits*: And are the character-dragonet/humanoid shifters all taken, yet? :3 They sound very worth trying for!
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

Yeah I think I posted em on the old knux board, and one of the full images is of course available in my DA gallery (the red dragon in the water? one of my most viewed pieces :) ).

A character-type, I'm not giving details.

"Eddy", sharing some genes but hardly sharing shape!

and a more dragon-dragon, Eternity + Hullam's offspring taunting headshot

There are some really different looking dragons, because of some of the participants being far less slinky and without traditional 'wings' - manta-ray flaps for instance? While most of them are in fact serpentine enough, I have had a lot of fun doing their colors and such to match the parents.
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
Naeodin
Dragon

Post by Naeodin »

*hugs shard*

sumffin is happening!
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

o_o Sooooo cool. Alright, I'm sending you two. XD One candidate and one... sponsor-type? I dunno yet, but I'm going to start writing!
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

Also... bua ha ha ha!

http://artdragon.mine.nu/%7Ekat/aven/podstory.html

:3 Found Craigah's page! :P
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

Okay - so here's what I'm planning on doing.

I've got only about 1/5 of the total dragons colored (scanned at all) but they include all of the character dragons.

I think what I want to do is run it a little like the current BWR type clutches, where there's a snip of image (since I have no hatchlings) and a personality description. I haven't gotten any fresh information from people about their candidates, so those who are either off-linked or moved left-no-forwarding-address, or inactive I'm simply going to ignore. If they want a dragon, they'll get one, but they have to actually show some interest in dragoning...

When the first page is ready I will show off the info necessary. I *will* pretty much be requiring caretakers for the Character pages, and there should be a story on them. I did already kind of select one or two bondings, so I'll leave those out and inform the people who've probably got them - if they respond they get that persona/dragon. If they don't, I keep it to either give away or send to the next batch.

The regular dragons will run more like the regular BWR pages - there must be a link, a page ready, stats at least, story at most. I will try to put the hopeful bonders *on the dragon they're trying for* so that there's no great disappointments.

Now, this is still probably at least a full week away, because I haven't had time to really organize what I've got and contact people. But once it gets rolling I hope to have these dragons off and bonded before summer of 06 comes into full swing. I mean, really. 4 years is ... more than long enough, right? For eggs to mature? :)

After that, I'm going to run clutches off the Furry Festival, for a much bigger longer-term giveaway/bonding handout than I'd first thought of for that. I mean, I will have one or two of those furry riders' dragons that only get maybe 3 offspring - but I do plan on several having 10 or so, now. Ganeen/Vere taught me that's lots of fun :) ((I'll have more info on that separately.))

So, swim. Splash. Be prepared to have some watery goodness coming your way. And basically since these are Healing Den hybrids, they'll be available for breeding *as soon as they are paged*, and I would hope that at least a few of em would qualify as 'cool breeders'. Might have lost some of the pedigree info, since some of these dragons were Hydee's, and some from others who've split dragoning or vanished. But hey I drew their offspring, dammit, and I'm gonna get them out there.
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
jess d
Dragon

Post by jess d »

You've still got the ones I sent in right? I know it was a while ago, and if you need me to, I'll send them again
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

The link above (to ... I think page 2k5) has the current list of candidates plus notes about their status. If there's a note then some kind of action needs to be done, but I think you were among those who sent them later, and it's mainly the earlier ones that are in question. :)

Ah - there's no link to the stories if there is a story for them. :) That's all.
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
DNS
Ancient Dragon

Post by DNS »

A four year delay? That is quite a bit, right there. XP maah, but if/as soon as you start taking candies, i probably have an aquatic anthro or two I can offer you up as candidates, if you want'm. ^^
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

By all means. This clutch will take any and all candidates that have something to do with water, whether it's a water mage or an intelligent orca.
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
Omniwite
Fledgling

Post by Omniwite »

Whee! I guess this means that I should start updating the character I've been planning to send to this for... what, 2 years? XP A character from my first solo story! XD And I've probably got more I could send you, as well. Guess I'd better get writing!
Kérouge Main | Kérouge on Lyria | The Haven of Light | Talon Cattery

Links currently being updated, bear with me as I get everything back online! :3
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

Yup! :) Now is the time... And I still need to get off my duff (read: stop playing COH on test so compulsively) and color the remaining images...
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
Indigo
Fledgling

Post by Indigo »

I can't believe this thing is still going, I remember when it started! Well, at least I'll be able to send those candidates I always wanted to send to this, eh? :D
=-Lylan Keep-=
Boreal Visions ~ DeviantArt
"The artist must create a spark before he can make a fire and before art is born, the artist must be ready to be consumed by the fire of his own creation." - Auguste Rodin
DNS
Ancient Dragon

Post by DNS »

Hey shard. >.> I just realised how many water draggies i now have, and i think they could use friends~~ And I might pull bancha out of SR for a bit, becuase he isn't there officially jsut yet, and i think nicole is on hiatus~~ so.

that brings me too~~ How many candidates do you need/ how many would you be willing to take from me? Though i can't promise you TOO many. ^^

waterdragons!
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

I haven't looked it over yet again, but yeah nicole's gone that I know of, and Im' sure there are lots of spots that I cannot account for any more. I was going to run what I can match up on the ones still up there and probably run it as a giveaway/trade thing after, but let me see who all is still there to do it, and you get set up to send me some water babies.
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
DNS
Ancient Dragon

Post by DNS »

-nodnod- :3 see about it first, then, and do what you were gonna doo~ >.> Cuz even with my candidates, i prolly couldn't fill it, if everyone's gone and dissapeared. And i still have to page them and everything. <.< so yes.
:3 but if you've got only a few spots to fill, which i doubt, i'll provide [some] of the difference.
Shard
Great Wyrm

Something new for the old Swim?

Post by Shard »

Baeris looked at her toddlers Kali and Baelin, and suddenly was gripped with a weird, awful sensation in her gut. Not about them. But about their age.

And not that they'd aged unnaturally quickly or slowly here at the Healing Den. It was more that they'd been born during the hatching of the 'Naughty' clutch, and that was more than a year ago, and .... Something was gnawing at her. Something she'd forgotten.

"Oh my GOD," she hissed, "the swim."

She cast around, looking for the 'clock' that showed the outside 'time' at the parking lot. A camera had been placed near it so she could see what it said - as opposed to the internal Healing Den time which was whatever it happened to be at the moment. Drifting around in an asteroid at cross purposes to time and space was sometimes harrowing. The Den was to have been somewhere, but they missed the window?

Well, not so much missed, but neglected to arrive.

"The wha?" Kalkin said, picking up his latest daughter Kali by the foot and causing her to squeal in delight, she batted at her brother who was by far the more sedate of the pair, and who lay on the floor below. He kicked up and nailed her in the tummy, which she also seemed to enjoy.

"The swim, you remember? The summer swim? It's been... so delayed... so very delayed." The white streak in Baeris' black hair seemed wider, at that moment. "But it's not even ready. I know the eggs aren't ready to hatch yet." She grabbed at a remote control, touched it and a panel on the large wall of the office came to life with a view over a shimmering, moonless pool of water. "And there are more eggs. I don't understand how that happened, but I think there's more than I counted ... what, five years ago?"

She blinked hard, had it been that long? It had indeed. Five long years suddenly - that much time hadn't gone by for the eggs, surely, because they'd have hatched by now. The world where they lay, somewhere between Alskyr, Zekira and several other watery-worlds, it had clearly only been a few months. But inside the Healing Den, as always, time passed oddly.

"I can tell you're going to be doing something about this," Kalkin said, leaning back and hugging the twins to his chest until they giggled and grabbed at his hair, "and I ought to stay out of your way. I'm not a big fan of oceans."

"I know..." Baeris said, then tilted her head and grinned, "though there is a version of you who comes from one, I've seen him..."

It was true, there were Sangers everywhere. Maybe she could convince that one to sponsor a dragon or two or three at this Swim, should it ever get rolling.

And in order to do that I think I'm gonna need some help.

First of all, the Swim dragons have not been all colored. Many haven't even been scanned in yet. (As I was taking my time doing as close replicas of textures and colorations as I could, having all the reference materials in front of me, and doing one pairing at a time.)

Second of course, I have no idea who all is still even interested in the Swim. Many if not most of the currently linked candidates either don't exist any more or their owners are not contactable, or just don't care any longer.

So to combat the first, I'm going to toss this idea out for you.

-- Should I open the Swim to coloring teams? I have existing templates and individual images, which I was going to be using anyway (most were individual images, custom done even as many as 5 offspring with differing features), I could upload the black and white images to people and have folks color to their heart's content. Or I could specify how many, which colors, etc, but I'd actually at this point be happier seeing what other folks did with em. The caveat/problem with this is that nowhere near all the dragons who *participated* in the Swim are even up on pages any more either. I'd be able to scan in the printouts I did of their pages (which is where my color guides come from) and you could get an idea of their colors - OR I could just post those as 'parentless' and invent new parentage if need be, since I doubt some of these people will be back ever again (and some pages were never actually up *at all* when I got them, just an image...).

And to address the second, I'd want to give these out simiarly to a normal 'first come first served' giveaway. I could even invent characters for those who just want to put up some pretty pictures. I would not neglect to give more specialized treatment to those who actually DO have candidates, of course, provided their owners want such treatment now.

*shakes head* It's been 5 years. It's summer, dammit. It's time to get on the ball...

So, input? Would people care to help color? As things get colored, I could start giving away the templates.
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

I've got enough spare time on my hands to color some -- on Tuesday I start "work" at my old gradeschool, with wiping and reloading all... hundred or so comps in the entire building, making sure everything works, etcetc.

Of course, the vast majority of that time is going to be spent staring at computer screens as they get a clean reload. Gods the pain...

=P So I can always drag my poor laptop with me and do some constructive work in the process. It's either have fun coloring, or do work on my website (aka fighting with code and actually finding the pages). Hmm...

Course, I'll also be interesting in getting something from the Swim...
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

I'm gonna scan all the blanks then, and put them up on my photobucket acct and see which ones people want to play with. (which will happen tomorrow, since I'm at work without any of that stuffs now.)

I would definitely say anyone that does can doll theirs up the way they like, and reserve one.
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
Unyko
Dragon

Post by Unyko »

*raise hand* I can help color, a little anyway. ^.^; I've got a lady wanting me to design her website (who is -incredibly- overanxious that it be done OMGRIGHTNAO!!! :O... so yeah), but I can fill the off hours with coloring a few outlines. <3
Image... Image ... Image

Post by StarFyre »

^.^;; The people I'm dealing with for the commissioned website I'm building are like "OMG we want Action Shots! ..... ... but we're a retirement home with really laid back residents >.>;; can you steal us some off the intarwebs?"

Being a web designer is FUN!
Unyko
Dragon

Post by Unyko »

*alternately cracking up and facepalming* Yes. It really is. XD Do they at least give you some degree of freedom with the design? (I ask 'cause my lady is almost controll-freakish, down to measuring the height of the logo into her calculations of exactly what the thing should look like... on every page. @.@)
Image... Image ... Image

Post by Dray »

:D I'd love to help, Shard! What would you like me to colour? Send a couple of files, what the final sizes of them you want 'em to be (if they aren't already the right size) and I'll do my best with them!
Kitsuneko
Ancient Dragon

Post by Kitsuneko »

I'd be interested in coloring some of them.
I keep meaning to send some people to the swim, but I'm about as good as writing characters for it as you are getting it out, so...:P Giveaway would be niiiice...
Darkling Dawn: Fauna Frenzy Open to candidates; flights open to males/females; rukel eggs/breedings available.
Drockh-Tallahn Castle: 3 eggs, 2 available. Females and males needed.
Sgiath Wolfkeep: 7 pups available
Sedona Weyr: 12 eggs, Deadline March 8. Chasers and a female needed.
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

cool then I'll definitely make sure everything's at the right sizes and stuff. :) Yays!
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

Uny: Yes, actually -- the entire design is done by me, with a bit of input and help from dad (since this is my first time doing something commercially). These people wouldn't know page design if it bit them in the rears. For another brilliant example (from the same person who wants the "Action Shots") I refer you to the marketing director -- "I don't care about the logo, we can put that anywhere. I want the 'Action Shots' up there and visible so that you don't have to scroll down to see them!!"

Yes. The Director of Marketing is telling me to make the logo smaller/off to the side/out of the way so that his precious pictures (of which there aren't any to speak of) can be seen right away. Dad shot an email back saying, "Just ask Pepsi or Coca Cola exactly how 'moveable' and 'unneccesary' a logo is."

Then again, these people dealt with this ( http://www.evenglowlodge.org/ ) as a website for about two years... so I guess anything looks better than that. Oh, feel free to cringe in horror at the sheer 3rd grader evil that is their current website. (Edit: For references sake, this is what I built for them: http://www.evenglowlodge.org/testsite/ )

Sorry for making your thread go off topic Shard ^.^;;; To ask an on-topic question: Candidates and sponsors -- how many of each can we send? And how many giveaway chars? =P I ask because I'm looking at those long days of glaring at computers while they slowly reload, and seeing a prime opportunity to actually get things written and such.
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

Daaang, tha's a nice site you're building :)

Anyway, I don't think I'll limit anything or really decide whatever until I know how many people are going to be coloring.

To be fair I think there are about 50 or so images (I can't recall off the top of my head, there may be a hundred, I haven't checked) all unique. So if each *image* gets maybe 4 or 5 colorations..... a lot of candidates/sponsors/etc will be needed. (there are 70 offspring listed, though about a dozen of those are 'people' which I will handle differently than the regular dragons.)
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com