What goes around...

Bring your characters to life!

Moderators: Mystic Dragon, Xalia, Shard

Mystic Dragon
Great Wyrm

What goes around...

Post by Mystic Dragon »

((I'm going to keep this thread open in case you ever want to start it up again, Kat. Here's the last post logged. You said you have the rest of the story, right?))

With a flit on each shoulder, Mystic turned smartly and marched over to her lounging bond. The silven beauty had been up for hours, but had remained silent during her rider's harried attempts to calm the twins, locate Talitha, and keep the Warren gossip to a minimum. The last was the most difficult of all.

Now one problem out of three had been solved for her and she was bound and determined to exploit it with the hopes of solving the other two. It took only a minute for the red mage to vault up to her bonded's withers, shoulder ornaments in tow. Within minutes, Myrah'Care had made her way out of the den and into the blazing sunlight of the flight fields. One great pump of her wings later, she was airborne.

Golden rays of light slide off the silven queen's hide as she ascended higher and higher into the azure sky. Her wide-spread sails caught on an updraft and sent her soaring above the Warren. When at last she was high enough, she sent a quick warning to her rider before diving into the icy chill of between.

Seconds later, Mystic and her entourage appeared in the air above Clan Akelara. As the dragoness dipped lower over the sprawling buildings and dens, Mystic gave her Talitha's directions. The silven queen hardly needed them, however, for the large, black spot amidst the shining agency was easy to pick out.

Myrah'Care landed with a soft thud outside the dark sand's entrance. Furling her wings neatly to her sides, she padded into the gloomy cavern with nary a backwards glance. The dragoness held her head high as she bypassed the nest of hydras and xeno-beasties, ignoring their taunts and hisses with the haughtiness only attained by those in high positions of power.

Soon, Talitha's little alcove came into sight with Oni standing guard just outside. Myrah gave a brief nod of greeting to the black and red Hathian before marching herself bolding past. By the time she had fit her long body into the secondary cavern, Mystic had already slipped down and was eating up the distance between herself and Talitha with quick, wide-spaced steps.
https://renaissancebookpress.com/2017/0 ... tlin-caul/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JKatkina
Ancient Dragon

Post by JKatkina »

((Mwahahaa!))

Stomach roiling with the worst case of nervous nausea Talitha had experienced in years, the small woman hurried to stand and meet Mystic, distress clear on her face. While Naia had been gone, Tally had done nothing but think herself in frightened circles, unable to stop thinking about the presence of Hedoro and Cheran and Onithris, convinced that any one of the three would show up at the entrance to Suna's sands, smirking, and Demon would answer. And there'd be nothing Talitha could do. Though Onithris still blocked the black-haired girl off, her fears were carrying over to her gentler dragoness, and Sunaka was agitated, shifting and re-settling herself, whining. But now Mystic was here, and Mystic always knew what to do. Even Onthris seemed slightly calmer at the presence of the mageess and her bright bond.

Naia leapt from her perch on Mystic's shoulder as soon as her own human came into view, crooning smugness about a job well done and winging to meet Tally even though the young woman was far too preoccupied to give more than a cursory greeting.

"Mystic," she greeted, sounding wretched as she came to a stop in front of the other woman. She was wringing her hands unconsciously. "Thank you for coming, thank you... I don't know what I'm going to to, I just don't know, this was all so bad to begin with, but now it's even worse, I just--"

Onithris had quietly turned around, now settling her lithe bulk behind Mystic. She snorted at her bond's flustered babbling, eyes narrowed. ~What she means to say,~ announced the Hathian, ~is that Hedoro, Cheran and... Onessa are here.~ The slight hesitation before that third name heralded Oni's withdrawl from the conversation, turning away as abruptly as she'd deigned to butt in. Tail lashing, she stalked back to sentry duty, suddenly uncomfortable.

"Y-yes," Tally confirmed miserably, swallowing and trying very hard to calm her roiling stomach. "They're here. And, and Navidad, she said the twins are very angry with me, but I'm terrified to leave Suna here all on her own, and now that H-Hedoro's here, I... oh, Mystic, I don't know what to do," concluded the small woman, eyes on the sand below, shrinking into herself miserably.
Image Image Image Image
Mystic Dragon
Great Wyrm

Post by Mystic Dragon »

((XD YAY!))

Mystic stood before the agitated woman, switching her attention from Talitha to Onithris and back as required. When both were done speaking, the mage opened her arms and wrapped them tightly around Talitha's shoulders.

The girl was given no chance to protest. She was hugged, whether she liked it or not, then held back at arm's length.

"Are /you/ alright?" Mystic inquired. Her voice was expectedly hard, but not without due concern.

Myrah', meanwhile, curled herself up on the sand behind Onithris and swivelled her head around to eye the black and red Hathian. It wasn't difficult for her to figure out what had bothered Oni so. She had been through the same not long ago, but fortunately for her, Baneo' had turned out to be more like his parents then they had expected.

She continued to stare. Her intention was not to be rude, but she could scarcely look away from the normally aloof dragoness; now so distraught.
https://renaissancebookpress.com/2017/0 ... tlin-caul/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JKatkina
Ancient Dragon

Post by JKatkina »

Onessa could feel eyes on her. And, feeling them, was made uncomfortable. At the best of times the dark dragoness didn't liked to be stared at, and this was far from the best of times. She couldn't take her leave of the situation either, as she might otherwise, lest she leave her sister and bond among strangers who, though they were trusted, were not quite trusted enough to keep them safe in this dark place.

She had heard of the missing egg of Myrah's cherished clutch -- living at the Warren, it was impossible to not have -- and what had become of it. She knew the silven matron had the same kind of dark in that piece of her past, but Oni was not a 'sharing' kind of personality. And her child had not ended up so completely at odds with her as every one of Onithris's had. The brooding rage and guilt at that would likely never die down in her heart of hearts, even though she would play the stoic. And so, shooting a dull red glance over her shoulder at Myrah'care, she asked in a very deadpan mindvoice, ~What.~

On the smaller end of the scale of those present, Talitha had all but broken down into a childish fit of howling tears in Mystic's comforting grip, but bravely she bit her lip and subsided after a single noise of distress. She held herself, hands clutching her own elbows and shoulders hunched, Mystic's question making her hesitate, and look up at the mage with wide eyes.

"No. Yes. Mystic, I don't know," she finally whimpered. "I'm, physically I'm safe, and I'm fine, but... ohhh. Are the twins really that mad at me?" Talitha finally asked, sounding pathetically guilty.
Image Image Image Image
Mystic Dragon
Great Wyrm

Post by Mystic Dragon »

"They're upset, as well they should be." The mage replied sternly. Not trusting Talitha's own judgement of herself, she began to inspect her for any cuts or bruises. "I've told them to stay away until I have everything sorted out. What happened here?"

Myrah blinked, her mind jumping in startlement. She hadn't expected to be found out, but it was too late to look away now.

~I know you are troubled.~ She sent to the brooding dragoness. ~You can trust Navidad and myself to watch over them if you require some time to yourself.~
JKatkina
Ancient Dragon

Post by JKatkina »

~No,~ Onithris half-growled, looking away again, over the dark sands filled with dark mothers. It didn't help that she hadn't told Talitha the whole story; she hadn't let her bond see just who was with Hedoro when she had seen him. And it would not help Talitha's mental state to know that Teliree was present in Clan Akelera. ~They are my sister and my bond,~ she continued, by way of explaination, continuing to avoid Myrah's gaze. ~I entrust their safety to no one.~

Mystic's affirmation of the state of the twins only made Tally wilt more, making it hard to examine the small girl. (She looked alright otherwise, however -- no serious injuries, though she had bags under her eyes from too little sleep and too much worry.)

"I didn't know how to get word to them," Tally tried to explain, miserable. "We, we just got caught, as soon as we 'ported in, and then I was afraid to leave Suna here alone, and Oni wouldn't listen to me, she wouldn't bring a message home. And Suna was afraid to teleport once she recovered. She doesn't want to hurt the eggs."

She knew in her heart Mystic was not the one she should be making excuses -- no, explaining the situation -- to. But she was a lot guilty and a little afraid about her husbands right now... and Mystic had asked her to explain, besides. So Talitha took a deep breath, and tried to think of where to start, feeling very helpless standing there on the shifting sands.

"Oh... dear." She sighed, a little embarrased at the story. "Well, Suna' was near rising, and we thought we'd surprise the boys and have a flight away from home... a, a vacation, or something, I guess... we were teleporting around, looking for a nice place to stay. I'd heard about Clan Akelera, I wanted to come see if it'd be a nice place to stay." She swallowed. Now came the hard part. She leaned away from Mystic just a bit, towards Sunaka, and spoke very quietly and quickly. "We teleported in and the frenzy was happening. They tried to get us out of the sky, but they weren't fast enough. They got me off her back, but another dragon got her before they could do anything else." Talitha shivered, and Sunaka shifted and turned away from the pair of humanoids. "And then when she was okay again, when she recovered, it was too late to teleport back, and I didn't want to leave her, and Oni was being stubborn." She didn't say how she'd been so flustered and disturbed that she'd forgotten that she could have sent Naia with a message; she still felt stupid for that oversight. So now she stood silent, having told the tale as quickly and painlessly as possible, and awaited Mystic's judgement.
Image Image Image Image
Mystic Dragon
Great Wyrm

Post by Mystic Dragon »

It was difficult for the mage to supress her shock. She looked from Suna to Tali, her face losing some of it's bright flush. In that quickly uttered explanation, the Red Mage had learned more than she wanted to.

A Hathian, one of her precious Hathians, had been hurt. A knight of the Lead Wing and good friend was in danger because of it. Hydras were breeding.

And Hells would be raised to atone for it.

Despite the fury that was boiling inside her, Mystic retained an outward appearance of calm. She put her hands on Tali's shoulders, her grip solid but gentle, and fixed her with a look.

"Listen closely, Talitha. You are going to stay right here. Don't leave Suna's side for any reason. Navidad is here to protect you, but she cannot do her job unless you are safely hidden away.

"Now I'm going to try working some things out with the people in charge here. When I'm done, the first thing I'll do is send the twins to you. Unfortunately, their bonds will not be able to join them. There are too many dangers to consider." The mage paused, her sympathy for the nervous girl twinging in her gut. "I'll visit when I can and I'll send Hope by with things to make you more comfortable, alright?"

Meanwhile, Myrah was not about to let Oni brood in peace. The silven dam's eternal calm was often a soothing salve on hot tempers, but could sometimes get the opposite effect. She was accustomed to both responses.

~Your concern for them is admirable.~ She says softly to the irate Hathian. ~There are many who could not show half the dignity you have. However, you need not punish yourself for what happened here.~
JKatkina
Ancient Dragon

Post by JKatkina »

Talitha's throat closed at the mage's actions, her words... more than anything, the intent behind them. She had been right. Mystic understood, and now the capable woman was going to help. A knee-weakening wave of relief and gratitude swept over the humanoid mutt. She knew it was impossible to quite express that gratefulness through words, or even gaze, but goodness knows she tried.

"Thank you, Mystic," she choked, a little embarrasment rising as tears grew in her eyes. "Just... thank you..." And then she nodded, vehemently agreeing with those terms, having been intent on doing just that all along. "I will, I will, oh, thank you."

Then there was just one more thing to make sure of before she could let her friend leave in a whirl of robes and dignity as she always did. She reached out a hand, not quite grabbing at the blonde woman, but staying her movement for a moment while she gathered her thoughts and words.

"Could you... could you tell the twins, I'm sorry about all this, and... and I love them?"

Between the dragons, Onithris was still not looking at the Geperna silver. A broody Oni was not a violent one, once someone got past her initial defensive anger, and so Myrah had lucked out, in a way. Had the dark Hathian been anything but pensive, she might have been priming for a verbal battle.

~I don't plan on punishing myself,~ replied she lowly, quietly. ~I plan on guarding them till we can leave this place.~ A pause, as Onithris glanced over her shoulder again, this time at Navidad, and snorted. ~I am glad your rider sent help. Even if that help is disagreeable.~ Oni hadn't forgotten her and Navi's rocky introductions.
Image Image Image Image
Mystic Dragon
Great Wyrm

Post by Mystic Dragon »

Mystic had half-turned towards the main cavern when her sleeve was caught. She looked back on the shorter woman, a pitying expression filling her eyes.

"They know." Mystic reassured her with a gentle smile. "But I will remind them. And then they will tell you themselves."

Myrah bowed her head in acknowledgement of Oni's thanks, no matter how they were phrased. ~You are welcome. Just as you wish to protect them, so do we.~

In the shadows of the room, Navi ducked her head low and bared her fangs at the black and red female. She looked almost vultureish with her wings half-splayed and her talons dug deep into the dark sands. A fearsome image to behold, but not in the least bit hostile towards those in the room. Navidad could be brutish at times, but her heart was in the right place.
JKatkina
Ancient Dragon

Post by JKatkina »

Hearing it from Mystic was good enough for Tally for now; hearing it from her lovers would be better, but she trusted her friend's judgement in these matters. Talitha began to feel comfortable that the twins would forgive her for all of this. That was one painful worry salved, in any case.

She let her hand drop, giving her back a tentative, tiny smile. "Okay," she said, and ducked her head a little and releasing the Red Mage to leave on her buisness once more.

Onithris, sitting at the entrance, watched Mystic now, taking note when the human departed this section of the dark sands. She breathed the tiniest of draconic sighs, feeling her bond's relief, allowing her own self a bit of relaxation in the face of Tali's partial release of tension.

~She has many people protecting her, that one,~ Oni commented, thoughtful, having turned her gaze to her own bond briefly. ~One would think she of all people would have the resources, and know how, to stay out of trouble.~ Though acerbic, Oni's tone was the result of concern. ~I don't know what to do with her.~

((And now, me for bed! XD I will reply tomorrow. *squirms with happy*))
Image Image Image Image
Mystic Dragon
Great Wyrm

Post by Mystic Dragon »

Mystic left then, striding out of the small hide-away without a backwards glance. She already had a laundry list of things she needed to acomplish, not the least of which was making sure that something like this would never happen again.

Myrah'Care was slow to follow, taking her time to stand up and adjust her wings so that they lay neatly against her sides. She kept her head bowed low to Oni, a single, star-lit eye staring fixedly at the demon female.

~Perhaps you need only do what you do now.~ The queen spoke gently. ~For without your aide, she surely would have seen more danger then she has already. She is a lucky one.~

Before she left, Myrah had one more thing to say. She paused in the doorway, lithe body half-turned towards the lightning-marked dragoness skulking behind them.

~Navidad, stay close at all times. These are your charges, and soon one will be your partner.~

"You don't have to tell me twice." The black female snapped her head up smartly and saluted with the tip of one wing.

For a moment, Myrah considered the response, then nodded approvingly and wheeled around to follow after her bond. The small grouping of Tris'Hathian citizens were left alone once more.

((Fastforward to when the twins arrive?))
JKatkina
Ancient Dragon

Post by JKatkina »

((X33 I can't think of anything to post -- I'm saving a visit from Hedoro for later... so yeah, time-skip I guess? You wanna post first or shall I re-set the scene? ^^))
Image Image Image Image
Mystic Dragon
Great Wyrm

Post by Mystic Dragon »

((You set it. By then, Mystic would've sent Hope on with a few of Talitha's things. Books, clothes, pillows. Things to make her comfortable. It would take a few hours for the twins to appear.))
JKatkina
Ancient Dragon

Post by JKatkina »

The day had begun to wane by the time that Talitha had finally calmed down. It helped that Hope had arrived, as said by Mystic, to deliver all the comforts of home to the stranded woman, with that supremely confident attitude that the draca always seemed to have about her. Naia had 'ported off to lend a claw, and by virtue of knowing Tal's mind, returned with a few of her favorite comfort-books. So now, stocked up with a couple of changes of clothes, extra blankets, a few pillows, nonperishable food and snacks (Talitha, distraught, hadn't even realized she was so hungry till the scent of jerky wafted to her sensitive nose), and a few other comforting knickknacks from home, she was closer to content than she'd been in... oh, many days now. The blankets had gone into a nest, of sorts, on the sunny side of Sunaka's white hide, leaving the lengthening shadows for Onithris and, likely, Navidad.

Those long hours were quiet ones between the dragons and humanoid, with very little conversation passing even between Sunaka and Talitha -- really, the only pair there who was on speaking terms then. Onithris was too lost in guarding with every ounce of her not-small self, and Navidad... well, she intimidated the gentler personalities in the small alcove, good intentions aside. Sunaka was brooding quietly, and Talitha was with her mentally even while otherwise losing herself in the pages of her book. Only Naia was active, now digging about in the sand, now teleporting off to socialize as flitters do with the flits and equivalent creatures of Clan Akelera.

No one disturbed them, and no one thought to come and visit after Mystic's departure, and so as the sky began to darken around the edges, Talitha realized she had a choice as to what she wanted to do tonight, now that she had blankets.

The sands were soft and warm, especially padded as they were now, and in her hybrid form the young woman didn't lose heat as readily as a human might. So she put her book face down beside her and tilted her head back to look up at her brighter bond, smiling a little. "Suna?"

Sunaka had nearly been dozing. The warm sun on her hide was like honey, and with both she and her bond calmer after Mystic's visit, the stress of their ordeal as well as the quickness of draconic pregnancy, were starting to inexhorably display its effect on her. ~Mmm?~ Her mind-voice was drowsy.

Feeling those waves of -- well, almost relaxation, really, radiate off her bond, Tally smiled a little more, for the moment ignoring the tight knot of tension and unresolved fear sitting in her stomach. "Can I sleep out here tonight?" And then a large draconic muzzle was in her field of vision, as a suddenly purring Sunaka nuzzled at her. Grinning now, she scratched behind those lovely long horns of Suna's, hugging around her neck with her other arm.

~Of course, Talitha.~

Rider and bond stayed like that for long minutes, sharing a moment of calm in this break from the emotional storm, until a chittering Naia's reappearence made Talitha look up and release the white dragon, holding up an arm for the golden flit to land on.

"What's wrong?" she asked the agitated creature, but couldn't get a clear response. Still, Naia's alarm made Talitha nervous, and so she stood against Sunaka and looked out towards the alcove's entrance, uneasy. Long minutes passed... and nothing else, except the gradual calming of Naia. The black-haired hybrid sat back down slowly, and tried her best to get back into her book, writing it off to flitter flightiness.
Image Image Image Image
Mystic Dragon
Great Wyrm

Post by Mystic Dragon »

Mystic had been worried about the treatment Talitha would receive. She had put all her effort into ensuring that she and her bonds were safe, and that Navidad would be able to constantly monitor that safety. The Red Mage had predicted that dealings with Clan Akelara would be the most difficult part of the day, so arriving home to find one twin broken and the other missing had left her considerably shocked.

With Hope busy delivering comfort items to Talitha and the Warren being too big a place to find one man with her telepathy, Mystic had no choice but to start looking on foot. She was relieved, therefore, when a few minutes of searching yeilded some helpful clues.

M'lor had locked himself up in their den to brood over what his brother had had to say. Dracoth was there with him, providing a mountain of support with his stoic, silent presence. Merlinth and T'lor, she learned, had taken off for the ocean.

It had only been a short jaunt from there to find the sulking red-head, glowering down at the sunlit water from a precarious ledge. Far below, Merlinth was happily splashing about in the shallows. To say he was oblivious to his rider's problem would be rude. However, the happy-go-lucky blue didn't really know how to deal with this particular problem. Not even his bright optimism could break through T'lor's dark mood. So instead the Denner had taken to chasing after Tek and Tec, trying to splash the two bronze flits without completely drowning them.

Mystic dismounted from Myrah'Care's back atop the cliff, a few feet higher then T'lor's perch. She knew the way down well enough, having preferred that lonesome spot to the bustle of the Warren many times herself.

"Fancy yourself a bird?" She inquired jokingly of the red-head when at last she sat beside him. T'lor remained silent. Mystic sighed and turned her gaze out on the ocean. "Talitha is safe, in case you were wondering. She misses you and asked me to remind that she loves you."

The blue rider snorted dismissively.

"You don't believe that?" Mystic inquired with an arched brow.

"She loves me so much then why'd she take off again?" He replied angrily.

"Ah." Mystic gave a sagely nod, drawing out the single statement. "I see what has you upset. However, you're quite wrong." She paused a moment, sensing his grudging interest in her words. "Sunaka was close to rising. She was searching for a place to have the flight. What happened was an unfortunate mistake."

"So what? She expects us to run over and comfort her?" T'lor regretted the words the second they left his mouth. He was truly concerned, however his mood still made him snappish and grumpy.

"She expects you to forgive her for something that wasn't her fault." Mystic retorted in a no-nonsense tone. "You are her husband, and despite all that's happened, her greatest concern is for you."

The two sat in silence for a few moments; T'lor reflecting on her words and Mystic waiting for them to sink in. At last she put her hand on his shoulder and gave it a gentle squeeze. Before the mage clambered back up the cliff, she gave him some parting instructions. "M'lor will be heading to Clan Akelara soon. If you wish to join him, I suggest you hurry up and get Merlinth dried off."

M'lor was far easier to talk to. Upon hearing the explanation, he forgave all and nearly tried to leave without Dracoth in his haste to see Talitha. Fortunately, Mystic reminded him. She also noted to herself that she put more effort into keeping this family together then she did dealing with the Council. That thought made her smirk.

A few minutes later, the twins arrived over the tall towers and sprawling landscape of the Clan. They sent Tek and Tec ahead of them, scouting out the ground for a place to rest the dragons. Mystic had warned them of the dangers of taking them into the Sands, so they wanted a spot close enough for the blues to keep an eye on them, but far enough away that they wouldn't be turned into hydra food.

Somewhere in their quick jaunt around, the two bronzes managed to scare a few other flits. They sent their owners happy images of squawking maws and flapping wings, momentarily distracted from their job. T'lor set them back on track, and soon began to praise them when they darted inside a dark cavern filled with brooding demons.

The twins stuck close to the wall until they reached Talitha's little alcove. Wary glances fixed on the hydra and xeno spawn, and more than a few times T'lor was ready to draw his sword and start swinging. Fortunately, they made it to their destination quickly enough that no problems occured.

Once inside, M'lor locked onto Talitha and immediately ran to embrace her. T'lor, ever the withdrawn one, took his time.
JKatkina
Ancient Dragon

Post by JKatkina »

It was Onithris who saw them coming first, and her burst of surprise made her sister and her bond look up. Sunaka fully rose to her feet, facing the alcove entrance, bright head held high like a beacon to see over the clutching dark mothers. Talitha scrambled to her feet tried to look where her bonds were both focused, but her short stature prevented that, so she ducked inside Sunaka's mind and took a quick peek out through her eyes.

She inhaled a breath and held it; here came the moment of truth, such as it was. The twins were coming.

The small woman stood motionless, frozen as her partners arrived, eyes wide and following their progress.

And then M'lor was there, and T'lor behind him, and she was being scooped up by all too welcome arms, warm and firm and wanted, and she wrapped her arms around M'lor tightly too, and burst into tears.

Too many days of tension, and then finding out they were angry at her, and now this... it was a release of tension for Talitha, the torrent of tears and hiccuping sobs that she was helpless to stop. She clung to M'lor relieved beyond belief that he was here, and hugging her, and through the tears came a similar torrent of words.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorr-sorry -- I didn't mean to -- I'm sorry for disappearing, I didn't mean to, they said you were angry -- I re-really didn't mean to, w-we just, just got caught, and then -- couldn't get a message home.... m-missed you..." She trailed off into a little whimper.

But she hadn't forgotten the other twin either, knowing him, knowing he'd be standing back, and right now, she wanted anything but for him to stay away longer, possibly still stewing in bad feeling. She raised her head and looked over M'lor's shoulder with wet, reddened eyes, looking at T'lor and asking him without words to come to her, just lookng at him in askance, wanting his assurance that he still loved her.
Image Image Image Image
Mystic Dragon
Great Wyrm

Post by Mystic Dragon »

T'lor did his best to continue looking irriated. He crossed his arms over his chest, set his jaw, and stared pointedly at a spot on the wall that held absolutely no interest for him.

However, that imploring look burned a hole into the back of his head. He could feel her need as if it were a hook wrenching at his gut, twisting and turning every few seconds so that he had no choice but to notice. Yet despite his awareness of her presence, he also felt his brother's like a harsh, arctic wind.

Since their argument in the den, neither brother had spoken to the other. M'lor was still too ashamed of what he had said, and T'lor had yet to forgive him. The tension between them was nearly visible, tempered only by their mutual love for Talitha.

When T'lor stood a few feet away, parallel to his twin, M'lor reluctantly drew away from Talitha and took a step back. It was as much communication as the two would share for now.

A look passed between the brothers for only a moment. Then M'lor walked away, and T'lor moved forward to embrace Talitha.
JKatkina
Ancient Dragon

Post by JKatkina »

The chilly exchange did not go unnoticed by Talitha, and as she threw her arms around T'lor and nuzzled in to give him the same treatment she'd given M'lor, the knowledge began to dawn upon her that her husbands were angry... at each other. And she didn't know why... though considering the conditions, it was probably in some way her fault. As she clung to T'lor she realized this new information hurt, but more than that, some part in the back of her mind was angry. At their argument, she supposed, in the way that the last straw breaks the camel's back. None of the rest of this series of horrific events had left her angry, just devastated, but the addition of a silly fight between the boys on top of everything ignited the small and admittedly rather unintimidating flame of Talitha's anger.

Nevermind that the rest of her knew that 'silly' was probably not the correct descriptor of whatever had passed between the two men; fights of the magnitude that would cause that much chill between them did not happen often.

So after clinging to him for several long moments, she pulled back from T'lor, stepping away and rubbing her eyes furiously, looking between them. "What happened?" she demanded of the pair, voice trembling but perhaps more forceful than expected. "Why are you angry at each other?"
Image Image Image Image
Mystic Dragon
Great Wyrm

Post by Mystic Dragon »

T'lor closed his arms around Talitha's shoulders and held her tightly to his chest. He buried his face in her hair and breathed in the heady, natural odors of woman and nature. Though he was relieved to be holding her again, his mind was divided. M'lor's words kept repeating in the back of his mind, like a bully taunting a crying child.

Did he really believe that Talitha was like their mother? Was he looking for some kind of lost parenting in her? She was his wife. He loved her /as/ his wife. And yet he couldn't shake this feeling of something suddenly being very wrong.

Damn M'lor. He had done this to him. He had made it so that T'lor couldn't even take comfort in Talitha's safety.

The question caught T'lor off guard. Now that she was no longer pressed against him like a safety blanket, he felt naked and open. His composure cracked and blank startlement showed on his face.

M'lor, meanwhile, was being uncharacteristically distant. He stood with his back to the pair and kicked at the hot sand beneath his boot. The thrust of his lower lip put a severe sulk on his face, but no one could see it.

Damn T'lor. It was his fault that M'lor was upset right now. If he hadn't started that stupid argument, then both of them would be giving Talitha the comfort she needed right now. Not catering to their own ill moods.

And yet... the more optimistic of the twins mused... if they continued like this, Talitha would find out why they'd been arguing. She was already demanding an answer. Telling her the truth would only make things worse.

"It's T'lor's fault." M'lor blurted with a sullen edge to his voice. He knew, without looking back, that T'lor was staring at him in horror right now. "I wanted to bring our stuff so that we could stay here with you, but he said it'd be too dangerous."

T'lor's jaw nearly hit the floor. He was /lying/ for him. His brother, the one that couldn't lie to save his life, was telling Talitha a fib to save him some face. Later on, he would have to ask him about the reasoning, but for now he had to keep up appearances.

"Uh... yeah." He said, turning to face Talitha again. His face was unusually white. "We'll stay for however long we can and come back often, but we can't be here all the time. I- I'm sorry."
JKatkina
Ancient Dragon

Post by JKatkina »

The small woman looked back and forth between her husbands, a little confused. That was it? They were acting strange... a little thing like that? But, she supposed, this all was stressful on the twins too, no doubt. Even they would develop some friction, if they had been feeling... well, anything like Talitha had been. And a secret part of Tally badly wanted it to be true, didn't want to deal with any more serious conflict. So she bought it, the tension in her unwinding a little.

She stood where she was, but offered a smile to M'lor. "It's alright," she told him. "I, well, I didn't expect you would stay," she admitted, not wanting to tell him, now that the idea had crossed her mind, she really wished they could, "but, I mean, it would be nice if you could visit..."

She trails off, feeling almost shy all of a sudden, and very solemn. "I do have to stay with Suna, though. I'll... I might come back home to visit, if Oni starts to listen to me again before the clutch hatches." She let a little of her irritation with the dark dragon creep into her voice briefly.

"I am sorry about this, you know," she blurted quietly before either could respond. "You have to know, I didn't do this on purpose, it was an accident, and then, I, I panicked, I guess.." She wilted. She still felt horrible about forgetting to send Naia with a message. It might have saved a lot of unhappiness on both sides, it seemed, and it really had been an awfully stupid mistake!
Image Image Image Image
Mystic Dragon
Great Wyrm

Post by Mystic Dragon »

"I'm going to check on the dragons." M'lor stated abruptly. He set his shoulders back and marched out of the room without a second thought. In all truthfulness, he didn't have room to spare in his confused mind for another worry. Not only was he still angry with his brother, the only family he'd had for decades, but now he also had the guilt of lying to Talitha hanging over his head. The boyant, optimistic face he usually showed to the world had all but dissapaited under this new facade. Some time later, after he'd had a while to calm down, he would reflect on his actions and realize that he had been playing T'lor's role. This would only dig him deeper into his self-made guilt cycle.

T'lor made half an effort to follow his brother. His feet remained firmly planted in the sand while his torso twisted and one arm stretched towards the red head's fleeing figure. The other arm was held at an angle, half way between Talitha and himself. T'lor had never felt so torn in his life.

It took him a moment to realize that M'lor needed some time alone. The two brothers had never fought so badly in their lives. And while he was still concerned, he could not willingly leave Talitha alone again.

Not after just getting her back.

T'lor returned his full attention to the small woman and offered her a weak smile. "It's okay." He soothed, reaching out to lay his hands on her shoulders. He had an uncontrollable desire to hold her again, as if letting go meant forever. "Mystic explained everything to us."
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

((Tossing my characters in so that you have a reference of what's been going on in Clan Akelara's side of this whole mess during everything else that’s been going on... please forgive the length..))

Selverat glanced once more at Krethae, then up at his bond, "Tell me again why you want me to do this alone?"

"It's a good experience for you, Rat," rumbled Kerkael, the tip of his tail switching back and forth through the air, "It will teach you humility and responsibility."

Krethae nodded, "Besides, they put you in charge, not us."

He sighed as it finally dawned on him why the other two were so insistant, "Thanks for the ego boost, you two. I'll see you later... if I survive."

Steeling himself, he paced the rest of the way down the corridor to Yikaeri and Revent's chambers, squaring his shoulders and taking a deep breath before finally gathering the nerve to step inside.

Yikaeri was pacing, much to the annoyance of her mate. A steady, restless pacing that threatened to drive him insane. She was supposed to be the calmer of the two, and here she was fretting and ready to snap his head off at the least little provocation.

"Please," He finally gathered the nerve to speak, "Kae, you're making me uncomfortable."

She whirled on him, wings mantling for the briefest of moments, "How you can take it that well that there's a clan of... of... beasts just west of us, I'll never know!"

His tail barbs clanged against the floor, bringing her out of her threatening pose, "I'm not, I just refuse to work myself up about it. Our clan is growing faster than theirs, and many of our new recruits are able defenders. We'll be fine."

"Selverat said that some renegade called a frenzy. Who knows how many of those beasts are out there now? In their eggs or already hatched and growing. Do you want to stake the lives of everyone here, of our children and the last of our race on some guess that we're still stronger than them?!"

"Calm yourself, mate. We'll deal with this, just like we dealt with... before. We'll ask others for aid, if we must. But we will not give in to panic or worry, understand?"

Before Yikaeri could respond with anything more than a resigned nod of her head, his head snapped around to the doorway as Selverat walked in.

"Ah... Summoner, Sorceror, I have the report of the frenzy, as you asked.." Selverat squared his shoulders again, walking forward deeper into the den as soon as he was acknowledged by the gaze of both dragons.

A small ice sprite appeared at his side, taking the sheaf of papers out of his hands before vanishing and reappearing perched on Revent's shoulder.

Revent arched his neck to glance once at the sprite he had summoned, then swung his head back to Selverat. There was something wrong here. The man was too nervous, and too obviously trying to hide it. Something drastically wrong -- even worse than the fact that the dark frenzy had occurred in the first place -- had happened.

For a brief, un-Sorcerer-like moment, Revent wished it was Oarlaer in his place, because he was sure he didn't want to deal with the news Selverat held.

"Well?" he finally rumbled, after letting Selverat squirm under his gaze for a long moment, "You have something else to report?"

"Y-yes, sir."

"Spit it out, then. How much worse could it be? We have a growing clan of beasts to our west, they called a frenzy without our knowledge, and now have eggs on the sands that will hatch at some point."

Selverat swallowed visibly, "Well, sir... it's like this. We thought we'd sent out warnings to everyone, that the place was offlimits for the time of the frenzy but..."

"But?" Revent rumbled, positive now that he was going to hate this.

"A female showed up in the middle of the frenzy. A white, sir, and by Krethae's vouching, an innocent. She was caught..."

Yikaeri hissed in anger, "You let an innocent get captured?! You..!"

"We tried to keep the beasts off of her!" Selverat snapped back, "Do you think I'd willingly permit something like this to happen?! Krethae did what she could for the girl and the dragoness, but they were both incoherent with shock. And then the girl, the white, and a black and red female retreated to a small section of the new sands that the beasts carved out, and won't let any of us near her. We don't even know where she hails from!"

Revent slashed the air between his mate and one of his few friends with his tail, trying to break the two out of their battle. When that didn't work, he clenched his jaws for a second, then bellowed, "Enough!!"

To his relief, the two stopped glaring and turned to look at him in shock. Before they could interrupt again, he resumed speaking, "What's done is done, we can only move on from here. ‘Rat, what breed is the dragoness?"

The man frowned, tapping his lips with a finger before responding, "Hathian, for sure. As is the black and red."

Revent nodded, "Then we need to contact Mystic about this, she'll know who they are and where they hail from."

"And if they're one of hers?" Selverat tentatively responded.

"We'll cross that ripwind when we get to it. For now, we need to contact someone about this. It may not be our fault, but I refuse to just let this sit. Stay a moment, ‘Rat, and I’ll have a letter for you to deliver."

Revent watched as first Selverat sank wearily into one of the few chairs in the room, then his mate resumed her agitated pacing at the far side, before curling back up in their nest and beginning to dictate a letter to the ice sprite. He felt sorry that he had to keep Selverat up and working a bit longer, but he truly didn’t trust many others with this... nor did he want to insult Mystic by sending a simple flitter, even if it was a Chanis.

A few brief moments later, the ice sprite appeared on the table next to Selverat, offering up a sealed scroll for him to take.

With a heavy heart, Revent watched as his friend took the scroll, bowed once to the both of them, then strode out.

Selverat waited nervously, having been directed by some helpful soul to where the Red Mage’s office was, but found himself at loose ends when he realized that she was out at the moment dealing with ‘an issue.’

He had a sinking feeling that he knew what issue it was.

~Be calm, bond-mine, you’ll be fine.~ Kerkael settled himself more comfortably in the sun, sending a wave of calm washing over his nervous bond. He had faith that his bond could deal with anything... as long as the man wasn’t ready to pace himself into exhaustion from nerves.

Giving a half-hearted smile, Selverat leaned against the wall outside Mystic’s office, trying to keep his hands from toying nervously with his red locks, and desperately attempting not to fidget. He was Revent’s friend, his leaders’ trusted man, and, currently, the representative of Clan Akelara.

He hoped desperately he wasn’t making himself a fool as well.
JKatkina
Ancient Dragon

Post by JKatkina »

((Hey Mystic, are you still interested in potentially starting this one up again for a bit? I have a dramallamatastic bit written that we could use as a jumping-off point.))
Image Image Image Image
Mystic Dragon
Great Wyrm

Post by Mystic Dragon »

((Totally! Go for it!))
JKatkina
Ancient Dragon

Post by JKatkina »

((Hey StarFyre, this next post is a chunk from what I've done so far of Teliree's story, so if you want to get it all at once when I send it in, you may want to skip over this part. XD ))

He had learned to recognize those two dragons on sight. Knowing what the twins meant to Talitha, the sight of those two blue and black beasts they called bonds elicited a deep roiling hatred in Hedoro. But the man's steely control over himself meant that he never let on as much, and his calculating mind knew that the hated sign of the twin dragons was more use to him than harm. Watching their silhouettes moving restlessly in the distance, he could assume their bonds were nearby but not with them, and there was only one place that those two wretches would be. That, of course, meant that, for the moment, he would leave Talitha alone.

Not for his sake, of course. Cheran lingered in a place he'd staked out at the edges of the sand, separated from the brooding mothers but clearly keeping his own vigil. No, Hedoro was not in danger. "Daddy," a young voice prompted him urgently, and a small hand tugged his. "Can we go in, please? It's cold."

He looked to Teliree. She looked back with pewter-colored eyes, her dark brows pulled together. She was the spitting image of her mother, and Hedoro looked at her for a long moment before responding, "hmm." He looked back at the dark line of the sky; night was falling. It was definitely past Teliree's bedtime. Those two restless omens were still lingering, showing no signs of preparation to leave. He'd come back out once she was settled. "Yes, we can. Come. I'll make you some tea." Holding his daughter's hand, he led the youngster back to their rented quarters, his pace a patient amble alongside her shorter stature.

He would leave Talitha alone for now, because forcing her daughter to see her with men other than her father would be cruel.

Teliree was growing like a weed. She was almost four years old, but she was growing up far faster than a human would, and much faster than Hedoro's mixed blood would cause. By his reckoning, the child looked as if she should have been seven or eight years old from a human perspective. He didn't have any idea if that was normal or not for someone of Talitha's bloodline. One more reason her mother should be here, he thought, feeling the familiar bloom of anger that Talitha's abrupt exit after Teliree's birth brought forth in him. He was back outside again, having settled the girl into the small room that had been set up for her. Teliree was not a candidate, not in the technical sense -- but that was the only sense in which she was not. He had gotten them placed in the makeshift candidates' quarters, arguing closeness to the sands and Hedoro's bond, and Teliree had been present at the two waves of hatchings that had occurred so far. But by every rule of this place, she was too young to be considered for bonding.

Hedoro didn't care. Cheran had caught a magnificent queen, and it made every kind of sense to the man that his daughter would bond one of Cheran's great children. He had been teaching Teliree about the idea of bonding since she could understand it, and if there was anyone who was better prepared, Hedoro couldn't think of them. If he didn't get approval before the next wave of hatchings began, including the tantalizing eggs brooded over by the Azonese royal dragon Cheran had mated, he would bring his daughter onto the sands himself.

Enthroned on his bond's great forepaw, leaning against his mighty chest and haloed by four slit-eyed heads, Hedoro watched the last blue light fading away behind the wintery cloud cover. The heat Cheran threw off soothed him, and incrementally the man relaxed, but his eyes never left the indistinct shapes of Merlinth and Dracoth far on the other side of the sands.

Then the hated pair stirred, and wings resolved themselves from the mass. Hedoro sat up, prompting Cheran to stir too and swing all four heads up to alertness, so that ten sets of eyes tracked the Denner pair as they took off. Black and blue and blue and black disappeared quickly from the inky sky, and Cheran rumbled. ~Do you want to go to her now?~ the mighty beast asked.

Hedoro looked in the direction he knew Talitha was, and frowned deeply. "Not tonight." Now that the twins were gone from this place, he could sleep easily knowing that Talitha was sleeping alone. He pushed himself off of his bond's paw and went for his own quarters.

Teliree had never met her mother, not counting the single day as a newborn she had spent with her before the Warren riders had snatched Talitha away again. Her world was her father, and because her father's world was her mother, Teliree knew she had a mother, and that her mother was -- amazing, wonderful, and also bad and disobedient. Her mother made her father angry, and sometimes hungry, she supposed. Talitha Ferrin herself, however, was like a mythical figure to Teliree.

The morning was a chilly one, and Teliree traipsed across the sands bundled carefully in warm layers that already showed signs of disassembleage by little hands impatient with the bulk. Eggs like great glacier-tossed boulders towered in the pastel morning light and threw bright blue shadows with clean, sharp edges. "If one calls to you, or you are interested in one of them, try and send thoughts to it. Better yet, touch it," Hedoro told his daughter as they went, though his voice was distracted and the words spoken as if by rote. "That way, they will already know you when they hatch." Teliree knew all his instructions, anyways, and she also knew which eggs to avoid because their mothers would growl at her. The huge dragons didn't scare the girl (Cheran was bigger than most of them), but she didn't think that she wanted to bond a clutch that wasn't one that Cheran had fathered. She had spent a lot of time with his eggs, leaning against them, talking to them, so one of them would have to pick her. Still, the girl held out a hand to brush against the eggs they passed on their walks too, just to make sure they didn't feel left out. It wasn't their fault that they weren't fathered by dragons as great as Cheran.

Today, they were going to a part of the sands Teliree had never been to. "Your mother's dragons are over there," Hedoro had told her before their walk today. "And with luck, your mother will be there too." So Teliree was excited, but she kept ahold of it, and didn't skip or prance. Her daddy never did, even when he was really excited -- and she could tell that today he was excited. Or something like it.

Her gloved hand brushed another eggshell, but Teliree's grey eyes were focused in a squint in the direction of the protected nook that sheltered Sunaka. There were at least three big dragon-shapes, and then she spotted a fourth, but it took off and winged away. Maybe her mother's dragons had friends there, too, or other dragons that were clutching that needed protection. But which ones were her mother's? There was a big black and red one, a green and red one, and one that was mostly white. Hedoro rarely spoke of her mother's dragons, and most of the time, Teliree didn't mind. But right now she did.

As they approached, the large black one stood up. Teliree's eyes slid up the dragon's interesting winged forelegs, up to her head, and then she watched with fascination as Onithris's hackles rippled and slowly, slowly stood up. Hedoro stopped, and so Teliree did too, but the girl was already looking beyond the growling Hathian, to Navidad, who was watching with hawklike care but had not stirred, and Sunaka, who had frozen in her tracks and was looking at the approaching pair of humanoids with wide eyes.

Teliree pointed. "Is that one my mother's?" she asked of her father, and he seemed startled. He followed her finger to Sunaka and said, "yes, and that one." He nodded in the direction of Onithris, who had lowered her head and was still hackled.

Teliree chewed on her glove, and then pointed again, at the orbs that surrounded Sunaka, mostly buried in the sands. "Those are her eggs." This time she only got a nod. They were beautiful. Smaller than the ones that Hedoro had sired, their shells gleamed soft and creamy in the rising light. Their dam was dazzling too, her long, slim body clad in a hide as white and creamy as her eggs, and her wings iridescent and oscillating between the same blue of the delicate morning sky and a rich, bright golden hue. The young girl was so entranced, looking at Sunaka and then at the hathian's eggs and back again, thinking hard at the bright eggs, that she didn't notice when a small, black-haired woman stepped out from where she had been concealed on the other side of the dragoness.

The girl tugged at her father's sleeve, pointed at Sunaka's eggs again and said, "I want to go see them. Can I go see them?" When he didn't answer, she repeated herself, and Hedoro put his hand on her toque in warning. She frowned, and then shook the expression away, before she finally saw Talitha standing there.

She looked at her father, and didn't have to ask.

Hedoro finally, cautiously resumed his walk forward, and Teliree followed along, almost bolting on ahead in her impatience. Onithris's growl broke into a snarl, and then abruptly halted when the small woman across the sands lifted a hand slightly, but as they passed the hathian, her lashing tail belied her rage. They stopped again, twenty feet away from Talitha, and Teliree thought she could see this stranger of a woman trembling. Hedoro pressed his palm against Teliree's back, and the young girl started forward with her own suddenly eager footsteps.

She stopped, not entirely sure why, about halfway to her mother, and Hedoro's voice came from behind her, though she didn't think the words were meant for her. "Say hello to her." His voice was low and strange, warning and instructing, and Teliree began to feel uneasy.

Her mother's eyes had lit upon her and stayed there, but her expression, too, was strange and Teliree's uncertainty mounted. "Hello," she hazarded, just in case Hedoro had been talking to her. "You're my mother."

Talitha was definitely shaking, and Teliree thought she looked sick. She glanced behind her, but Hedoro was no help, looking only to Talitha. Teliree tried to smile at the woman, and she tried again. "I'm Teliree. Your dragon is pretty." Talitha shook her head minutely, and Teliree bit her lip. She had said something wrong.

"Talk to her, Talitha," came Hedoro's voice again, and this time he was growling like Teliree had never heard before. Something was going very wrong, and the girl couldn't figure out what.

Then Talitha turned and bolted, covering her face, and she screamed "No! Get out!" as she disappeared around Sunaka again; the white dragoness curled around her bond and Onithris leaped into action finally, lunging at Hedoro with a hate-filled roar, echoed across the sands by Cheran as he felt the threat to his bond. Teliree screamed and ran to her father, who grabbed her up and ran in great strides off of the protected sands.
Image Image Image Image
Mystic Dragon
Great Wyrm

Post by Mystic Dragon »

((Starfyre, if you want to jump in again, Revent would be told that Mystic was still at Clan Akelara.))

It took Mystic less than an hour to receive word of the disturbance on the black sands of Clan Akelara. Little more than fifteen minutes to mount up and ride out through the chill void between worlds. She had only just returned to Tris'Hath, just long enough to feel the kiss of humid, muggy air seeping beneath the airy fabric of her dress, and then she was off again. Myrah'Care hadn't even been able to land.

The cool night air surrounding the seething sands felt cold and alien against the Red Mage's skin. She longed for the comfort of her own bed and a cool breeze fanned by magically inspired leaves. She wanted nothing more than to be at home with her husband and son, but that was the life of a simple married woman. She was the Red Mage, the Dragon Mother, the Princess of Lanutha, and the bloody fool who had a penchance of attracting every kind of trouble imaginable. One day she would have to teach people to deal with their own problems. Unfortunately, that was not her mission that particular evening.

Myrah'Care waited beyond the sands while Mystic strode purposefully towards Sunaka's little alcove. Her red robes rippled around her ankles like licks of flame, constantly snapping and dancing over the cooling sands. The night may have robbed her surroundings of their definition, but she remained luminous. Her staff was a bolt of gold tapping out her quickened pace and her eyes were two spotlights in an otherwise lightless night. The subtle glow made her as easy to pick out amongst the dark sands and darker creatures dwelling on them as a bonfire lit in an enclosed cave. Yet she had no fear. Mystic had put down enough hydras in her day to know that she could protect herself should any feel the urge to attack. She almost wished they would simply for the release it would offer.

The evidence of the scuffle was visible to her shaprened senses long before she reached Sunaka's resting place. Mystic bypassed Onithris without so much as a glance and afford Navidad little more than a nod of acknowledgement. The brooding queen had played her part well, getting word off to Mystic almost before the fight had ended. Now Mystic stood before Sunaka thanks to her work and folded her hands calmly before herself. The staff stood at an angle, slashing across her front with a vivid glow that put fire on her red silk.

"Sunaka," the mage stated calmly. "I wish to speak to Talitha. Please send her out."
JKatkina
Ancient Dragon

Post by JKatkina »

When Teliree and her father had made their swift exit, Talitha had hidden at Sunaka's side, sheltered by those great sails that rendered the fading sunlight soft and murky. She was still there, pressed against Sunaka's smooth flank, but her eyes were dry. Too dry. Her slight frame still tremored intermittently.

She had known Hedoro was here. It was impossible to miss Cheran's huge bulk on the sands. What had caught her unprepared had been the presence of the girl, so that Teliree's arrival at Sunaka's alcove had shocked Talitha, and Teliree's introduction had been devastating. She had been able, frequently, to forget the girl even existed; she had kept Teliree a secret for so long from everyone that mattered to her that sometimes it had seemed that the little girl herself was a secret, an abstract concept, not a person whose mere existence threw Talitha's world into confusion.

She hated Hedoro. Teliree, on the other hand, terrified her, short-curcuited her.

So it was that when Mystic arrived on the sands, the warning she received from Onithris went unheeded, and even the sound of the mage's voice only produced brief acknowledgement from the woman's scattered consciousness. It wasn't until Onithris stirred as if to cut in that Talitha roused herself, lit by a moment of panic, to silence the black Hathian. She hadn't put it together, couldn't imagine why Mystic was here, and didn't want to give the other woman reason to think something was wrong.

Sunaka stirred on the sands, and looked at Mystic with wide eyes. She trusted the Hathian-loving woman implicitly, though, and after a long moment, she ducked her head beneath the wing that sheltered Talitha and nudged the wan figure. Tally clung tight to that great muzzle, and then finally stepped forward, looking lost in the darkness. She kept a hand on Sunaka's flank, into which the dragoness leaned worriedly, and said, "Hello, Mystic."
Image Image Image Image
Mystic Dragon
Great Wyrm

Post by Mystic Dragon »

The mage's face was a stony mask, lined with age and limed in the soft golden glow from her eyes. She looked Talitha up and down then held out a hand to beckon her forward. The girl had a habit of getting into trouble, even moreso that Mystic herself. What made it worse was Talitha's meek, mousy personality. Sometimes the mage had to wonder how she survived all the trouble of Onithris and Hedoro and the odd dark shadow that lurked within her own thoughts. The twins most likely, she mused to herself. The two brothers had always been fiercely protective of each other and now that they were wed to her, they were worse than brooding dragons over a clutch of eggs.

"Did he hurt you?" Mystic asked in a soft tone. Though her face was unreadiable, the familiar concern was in her voice and her actions. Busy as she was, she always tried to make time to help her friends.
JKatkina
Ancient Dragon

Post by JKatkina »

Talitha stared at Mystic uncomprehendingly for a moment before understanding flew between the three bonded minds like electricity and Onithris looked at Navidad, inhaling a hissing breath through teeth. ~I should have known,~ the black Hathian said lowly.

The small woman winced, and looked across the sands at her friend with pained uncertainty. Then finally, she shuffled forward in small steps, as if some magnetism were holding her back, and shook her head. After all, Mystic had to mean physically, right? And Hedoro had never hurt her. Even after Talitha had realized she was afraid of the man, after he had begun to terrorize her in earnest, he had never laid a violent hand on her, and that still held true. But Mystic's concern belied the fact that she knew Hedoro had visited, and that fact scared Talitha too. Teliree was a secret, a private burden, a fact that could easily shatter her life. Mystic might not let her keep her secret.
Image Image Image Image
Mystic Dragon
Great Wyrm

Post by Mystic Dragon »

Mystic's fingertips caught Talitha's chin and held her head in a grip no tighter than a kitten's paw as she examined the girl up close. Even when approaching those she trusted, Talitha held herself back. The girl was terrified of everything, and for good reason. Onithris' over protectiveness didn't do much to help. The more she snarled and growled, the more Tally would feel justified in being frightened of her own shadow.

~Calm yourself,~ Mystic sent cooly to the brooding black Hathian. Her mental tones were molten golds and reds, flowing in and around the thought patterns of the dragons like a warm gel. Being a telepath, Mystic was always burdened with the sounds of draconic speech. It was a constant bustle of noise in her mind, even when she actively sought to block it out. Sometimes she had to envy the other riders who could only hear their own dragons. ~Navidad was acting on my orders. She will continue to do so as well.~ The mage's golden eyes slid up to meet the iridescent whirl of Hathian irises. ~I wish to keep an eye on Talitha as long as she is here. The situation is too delicate to leave unattended.~