REdesign-A-Dragon Contest!

For contests and challenges, free for all to join and create.

Moderators: Mystic Dragon, Xalia, Shard

LakotaWolf
Dragon

REdesign-A-Dragon Contest!

Post by LakotaWolf »

Hiya!

**This thread will be edited with more info, but right now I just want to get the basis down**

A long time ago, in an era lost in the mists of history, when I was 13 or 14 or so, I bought a pewter dragon statue at Medieval Times. It was a little thing holding a round, faceted green gem, and I immediately named it Alec, after a real-life friend of mine (who died/disappeared two years later) and started creating stories around the character. Eventually I had a whole world invented, and other dragons, each with their own "element" (fire, earth, stars, darkness... you know, the usual tripe. Alec's element was "life")

Basically the plot went something along the lines of... eons ago, dragons and humans lived together, then humans got greedy, slaughtered dragons wholesale, and the Dragon Council (Alec included) opened up a great big Gate to another world, where they fled. They kept tabs on Earth, their homeland, by "choosing" humans that they could speak to telepathically and "see" through their eyes, etc. Basically, bonding, but I made this up BEFORE I ever read the Pern books, so I wasn't ripping off the old biddy :p Besides, the dragons and their human "chosen ones" were literally worlds and universes apart, so no "riding" here.

Alec's design/look was based off of the pewter statue, except that he was green instead of pewtery. Over the years I forgot about the Dragon Council and the stories I wrote of them, and only recently I found some of my old drawings and thought... I want Alec and the rest of the Council back :D ...but I realized I hated Alec's old design, I kind of always have, because it didn't look like him as he felt in my heart... if that makes ANY sense :}

So I've decided to propose a redesign contest! I will post images of the statue and my old pictures of Alec, and a vague idea of what I'm looking for, and then I'll open the floor to all of you to redesign him! I'm NOT looking for "excellent quality" artwork, I'm just looking for a concept, so don't feel like you can't enter if you don't think your work is phenomenal :} This is open to everyone!

I'll run it for probably a month, and I'm thinking the prize will be something like $30 worth of art supplies or $30 of whatever the contest winner wants. If the winner feels nervous about letting me know their shipping address (for when I purchase the prize and get it sent to the winner), then we could work out something else.

What does everyone think of this? If it gets favorable response, I'll edit this thread and post all the images, details, descriptions, etc XD I'm so excited! Also, if it goes well, I might open the floor to other contests to redesign the other Dragon Council members as well.
Lakota Windfang Sheean,
Professional Misanthropist
http://www.splintyr.com

Letting the days go by - Let the water hold me down
Letting the days go by - Water flowing underground
Into the blue again - After the money's gone
Once in a lifetime - Water flowing underground
Asha Wermyst
Dragon

Post by Asha Wermyst »

YES, FUN!!

I'll have to settle for lots of candis and flight dragons if I win, though. I can't give out my mailing address, which sucks.
jess d
Dragon

Post by jess d »

I wouldn't mind trying this out; have been inspired to try drawing new critters lately
Silver Midnight

Post by Silver Midnight »

I'd like to give it a try.
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

Awesome! This sounds really neat.
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
Xalia
Great Wyrm

Post by Xalia »

If I can find time I'll give it a try... :)
Kilandaia
Tripaldi Weyr
TSCZ
Jurizlandia-Coming Soon
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

@_@ Art supplies? *dies* *requires* I'm in, just give the word!
Samber
Dragon

Post by Samber »

OOOOooooooooOOOOOOoooooooohhhhh....

*is so totally in*
Skysong
Dragon

Post by Skysong »

I'm in!

I've always been interested to see what would happen with an online art contest where there's a 'real' prize involved. I've been tempted to hold one myself, but I've been a bit nervous about doing so >_>;
Fuzzy
Dragon

Post by Fuzzy »

meow? *ponders what to get with $30, thumbs up*
<a href="http://oacmagicisle.co.cc/">The OAC!</a>

(Bonding urls pending due to geocities crash... )

Post by Guest »

I'm thinking about being interested :roll:

hells, count me in!
seraaches
Fledgling

Post by seraaches »

sounds like fun. . . ^^ hehe is this still going to happen? lol
Hawkings Crest

"While I have no clue wot you're saying, I have deduced that your imagination has no coherence wotsoever."
~Kyouya-sama, Ouran High School Host Club