Been scarce myself

For general discussions of any sort that don't fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Mystic Dragon, Xalia, Shard, JKatkina

StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Been scarce myself

Post by StarFyre »

Yo! So I noticed there's a bit of activity on here, so I should probably post an update for myself <3

In the past month, I've actually found a job and have been working regularly as a programmer. It's nice to be employed for what I trained for =P

I've been really out of it, in all honesty, been doing some rping on another site, tho even that's been on the back burner the past couple weeks. Dray, I did get your email, but I haven't had a good chance to sit down and reply. Short answer is: no, I didn't end up switching the domain over to my control -- I think there was something else I needed to ask you for, and then a lot of stress ended up coming down around the end of Nov and into Dec so I ended up forgetting.
Dray
Dracolich

Re: Been scarce myself

Post by Dray »

Congrats on the new job! I hope it shapes up being a good sink of your skills and a place to feel satisfied. I hope the backburner stuff doesn't have to stay too backburner, either. Sometimes RP is just the thing if you're craving some creative outlet.

No worries on the transfer thing... I wound up cancelling my hosting service but I believe I still have the domain name. Let me know when you get some time so we can work on transferring it properly, as I'm hoping to sever ties with dreamhost for good.
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

Thanks ^^ It was definitely an "omg, at last!" sort of thing; I'm really not highly employable from an experience or contacts standpoint? (love the catch 22 of "you must have experience to work here / can't get experience without work" thing). Amusingly enough, the work I did on building the backend for the Nexus database actually landed me this job? I'm currently a contract employee through a temp agency, and am working for a small start-up sort of place (tho without the normal start-up money woes because they're under the aegis of a great big umbrella company that's been around for over 80 years), but if things go well in another month or two I'll be hired on as a permanent employee.

=P I've got tons of creative outlets -- two rp sites, fanfic writing, tumblr friends gained through fanfic writing, a bit of art on occasion but not often anymore. Basically whatever floats my boat XD I've had to pull back on everything I do since I'm not at home 24/7 anymore, but I'm finding my balance again.

As for the transfer -- do you have time this weekend? I've got a three day weekend since I worked on Sunday this week (crunch time fun time!) and I can spare some time to trying and figure out the intricacies. Tho I might need to involve the husband, since he's technically the owner of this server plan. We'll see.
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

Wow, why are you unsatisfied with dreamhost? It's been highly recommended to me, but then I'm on freaking godaddy and just... no.
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

(Site5 is the host of the Nexus, and husband and I have had no complaints about them in all the years we've had this service. I keep considering switching silveredmagic over to site5 but then I consider how much effort that would be and just shrug and stay with inmotionhosting because they're not immediately awesome in terms of the plan I have compared to site5 but their tech support has been great the few times its mattered. Just FYI.)
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

Sorry for the wait, Starfyre, I've come down with a throat infection over the weekend and have been pretty MIA. I'll have to wait until next weekendish I think.

Dreamhost was fine, but when my FTP program, Filezilla, began acting wonky, I decided I wasn't using the site for much so I decided to close the account. Except it wouldn't close, and it wouldn't close, and they kept having niggling little things I was supposed to check that weren't part of the process the last time I'd checked. Because I wasn't super invested in it one way or the other I kept paying a dumb tax when it was time to pay up again. :I It was super frustrating that they kept changing around the method by which you were supposed to hold them accountable.
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

No worries, next weekend should be fine and open as well xD The reason I have a three day weekend is now live, so I shouldn't have to spend extra time at work.

Huh, that sounds like a right big mess, and pretty frustrating I agree. I'm glad you've mostly parted ways with them at this point, considering all that run around.
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

Less a frustration and more just 'I am so over this right now' haha!

I'm glad your project pushed through! I hope it's a beaut!
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

XD Well, considering the work I did was entirely behind the scenes and dedicated to permission locking areas of the program to various permissions, I'll go with "didn't cause any major fires as a result" which isn't ENTIRELY true because MISCOMMUNICATIONS WEEEEE~

(One user-group came in and found themselves completely locked out of the program because of the way things were deployed and then I don't end up finding out about this until an hour after I get in this morning, HI. GOOD THING WE'RE STILL IN BETA.)
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

They should know things like this can happen! Oh well, at least you know you've got a solid inbox to work through for the day. ;)