Ordivacian RP

Bring your characters to life!

Moderators: Mystic Dragon, Xalia, Shard

StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Re: Ordivacian RP

Post by StarFyre »

Karjan exhaled through his mouth, a near-noiseless 'aaah' of excitement-understanding-desire. ^What were you saying, about the early days of wormholing?^

Lajira's mouth curled downwards in a moue of annoyance, as she shot her brother a look. As much as she had loved those early days, filled with thrills and danger the likes of which Capsuleers had never before encountered, they were none-the-less filled with danger. More than once the two of them, along with their companions, had found themselves suddenly overwhelmed, their ships turned to scrap around them by the Sleepers.

"So, we've got an unknown danger, dark, unmapped tunnels, and no time to collect reinforcements," Idein spoke blandly, as he summed up Zuri's information. "Capsuleer, my declaration remains."

"We could call the rest of the squadron down from the Genthier," Shaltach suggested with a shrug, as she started to check her supplies. "It would take them some time to reach us, but the extra firepower might be useful in the end. Or it might be overkill, by frankly I'd rather have reinforcements on the way now rather than when we're struggling to stay alive."

Karjan tipped his head back, dark eyes staring sightlessly at the ceiling as he relayed the order through Aura. Shaltach was correct. Issuing the order now was preferable to waking up on the Clearview, knowing that they were out of time. Frankly, he would prefer not to have to activate his soft clone, but had to face the knowledge that it was growing more and more likely the further into the planet they went. His little adventure had grown beyond his wildest imaginings, an adventure the likes of which he had been unable to have since those first, wild days in wormhole space. Even Null Sec had paled after a while, losing its spice in the wash of daily life.

Once you live with a certain level of danger as common place, you started requiring more and more to achieve the same thrill. Hunting pirates and being part of a wolfpack and fighting for territory had been fun, but then... it wasn't. He grew accustomed. He grew bored.

And now he wasn't.

It was glorious.

Even if he had to put up with self-aware AI, and silly baseliners. It just added spice to the whole thing.

^You could return,^ Karjan said moments after Shaltach had asked for other DUSTers to be deployed, and after his implants had finished cycling the data of the deployment. ^That shell needs to be recycled anyway. I could terminate it now, and you could take command of a Stratios. We packed planetary probes.^

Lajira frowned, then shook her head. ^Planetary probes are meant for resource scanning, not tunnel scanning. It would take me nearly an hour to modify one to work that way. Not useful.^

^Tch,^ Karjan replied, as he brought his gaze back down to his sister, then shrugged. ^It was a thought. A map would have been useful.^

"Reinforcements are on the way," Karjan spoke in local common, deigning to allow his translation implants to do their job for once. "ETA a half hour to this point. Idein, I want your map data on stream, just in case something happens to us."

"Yes sir!" Idein replied, as he nodded to Karjan. "If I may ask--"

"Gaihir's leading, yes."

"Thank you, sir."

"Are we ready?" Karjan asked, as he glanced from Idein to Shaltach to his sister. It was amazing what the threat of direct danger, in unexplored regions, did to Karjan's level of 'friendliness', though his face still reflected no emotion other than brief micro-expressions. Faced with the unknown, Karjan thrived.

"Aye," Shaltach agreed, as she finished checking her equipment and putting it in order.

"Aye," Idein concurred.

Lajira quirked a smile at her brother, as she fell into the somewhat unpracticed habits of a fleet member. "Aye."

"Good. Let's hunt," Karjan announced, as he gestured for Shaltach to lead the way into the unexplored darkness.

Shaltach drew her ion blade once more, and lit it as she lifted it above her head, then started down into the darkness, her steps sure and surprisingly quiet for all her armor. Unlike before, on the way to the tower, all four of them were surprisingly quiet and professional, a warlike edge to their movements reflected even in Lajira, the friendliest of the four.

They were now operating under Fleet Protocol, and their silence reflected that.

((Fleet Protocol = "shut up and let the fleet commander talk" =P But seriously, if Smyth can understand the Gallentean there, she's in for a rather disturbing conversation. I mean, casual mentions of recycling/terminating "shells" so that they can have an eye in the sky? ahahaha... Oh Karjan... *sweatdrop* ))
aireona93
Dragon

Post by aireona93 »

((Sorry for the slow down! I am in the middle of grading for the end of the semester and I get married on Sunday! CRAZY BUSY!))
~åi®¥

Image ImageImage
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

((Oohh, I hope your wedding goes well, Airy! Make sure to get some relaxation in there somewhere, before you burn out on grading and wedding prep!))
aireona93
Dragon

Post by aireona93 »

((Thank you! It went well and buzzed right by. I can't believe it is over. Hahaha. But we had a great time roadtripping through Scotland afterwards, so that was great. XDD Now I just need to get through Phoenix Comicon and then I will come back and get to writing. I am on four different panels, and somehow I fell into an organizer/leadership role for two of them, so it is kind of crazy.))
~åi®¥

Image ImageImage
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

((Nice! I'm glad you had fun ^^ Try not to burn out through overwork during the comicon =P Especially if you have that much to juggle and organize.))
aireona93
Dragon

Post by aireona93 »

((FINALLY! I am in the Dominican Republic for the summer now... working on "field work." But mostly just doing my analysis from Santo Domingo. God, the whole thing is a headache. I have people bailing out left and right and ugh. Not happy today. But whatever, I am planning on trying to do a good amount of sightseeing while I am here. So that's good.))

Zuri noted the bits of conversation from the other half of their party, as well as their marked change of continence. She had caught some of their transmissions, but not enough for her to have a full understanding of what they were planning. The AI drafted a subroutine to record her observations on these strangers. They were not from a sector that the Federation had much data on. It was aware of it and its denizens, yes, but there were no details in the files. They were discussing interesting technologies, however, and that always piqued Zuri's interests, for better or worse.

Smyth also picked up on the sudden change in the way the rest of the group was operating. Their organization and silence reminded her of the work that she had once done, back home… Smyth missed her team, and their seamless understanding of one another. But alas, they were all gone now. She was all that was left, and that was the only reason that she could bring herself to travel this far out into the universe with Zuri. The two constructs worked well enough together, but Zuri was more freeform than Smyth was used to, and she had started taking after the AI, despite a lifetime of training that had taught her to do otherwise. Now, she fell in line behind the others, and found herself feeling oddly at home.

Zuri offered Ciren a questioning glance once the rest of the group moved off into the darkness. The little dragoness frowned up at the AI.

"Well," Zuri said. "Are you going with them or not? You can't stay here alone; it's only a matter of time until the company picks up that someone is down here and comes to clean up the mess." Ciren let out a little growl, but knew that the strange creature was right. She could either follow after the humans, or go back to the outside world that she knew. Either would likely result in death, especially after what she had been privy to in the tower above. The older dragons would want her now… At least down here, there were new things to be seen… and maybe, just maybe these humans could pull something off to save all their asses.

Ciren didn't answer Zuri, but rather, turned on her own and set off to catch up with the others. She saw well enough in the dark, and the two-legged beings were relatively slow. It was quite surprising how effective humans were at killing dragons, considering how small and weak they were. But every Ordivacian knew how dangerous they were. Most adults always tried to kill them on sight, to do anything less would be asking for trouble. There were those that left with the humanoids, left Ordivak. No one knew what happened to them, but Ciren couldn't help but wonder if she was one of those dragons now… she might as well have been. How did she let this happen to herself…? Perhaps she wasn't as smart as she had once thought.
~åi®¥

Image ImageImage
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

((Ouch, sucks that you keep having people bail on you. I hope that starts to go better than it's begun! And sight seeing down there sounds like a fun experience ^^ ))

As they moved deeper into the tunnel, Karjan lit and looped a glow light around his left wrist, the soft chemical light providing a steady illuminance while leaving both his hands free for combat. A quick flicker of communication with Aura and a burst of data later, part of his vision fuzzed out, overlaid with translucent menus and a modified fleet window. His lips twitched downwards for a microsecond, before smoothing back out; it was nice to know his optical implants were capable of this, but he disliked the limitations it brought along with it.

Quickly, he mentally flicked the screens around, arranging the menus to better suit his tastes and to minimize those he had no use for. Behind him, Lajira stuck close, her own glow light clipped to her right wrist and her gaze constantly scanning the walls and the darkness around them.

Lajira glanced behind her as Smyth fell in line with them, flashing her a cheerful smile that was so at odds with the otherwise warlike poise the female Capsuleer had taken. Still verbally silent, she sent her brother and the two DUSTers the info that Smyth was with them. When Ciren hurried to catch up to them, looking both thoughtful and wary, Lajira sent that along as well, but otherwise all methods of communication between the four had fallen silent.

It had been so long since she was actually part of a wolfpack, Lajira mused, as she turned her gaze back to the tunnel they were traversing. And yet the silence didn't sit heavy upon her, but rather wrapped comfortably into a low hum of anticipation and readiness. They had been ever so jittery and raucous when they first landed, and now that sharp edge had been worn down at last as they settled into their roles.

Her gaze darted to Smyth for a moment, before turning away again. Curiousity spun through her mind, a web of maybe's and what if's that she truly enjoyed. What must the woman think of them now, that they were capable of this level of order? Would she consider them even more dangerous than she likely already was? Oh, to pick the woman's mind apart!

In the lead, Shaltach had switched her helmet to low-light vision, which gave her a better view of the coming tunnel than just what was revealed through her use of an ion blade as a light source. She kept herself relaxed, ready to react the moment something appeared. Though she wasn't that far ahead of the rest, she knew exactly the role she had fallen into was that of scout, and that Karjan was relying upon her to report clearly and accurately anything out of the ordinary that she spotted the moment she spotted it.

--

High above Ordivak, a squad of DUSTers were prepping the last of their armor and equipment. Their Commander was standing ready at the launch bay, helmet latched closed and examining the stream of data sent from Idein's helmet and through Aura to him. Gaihir had chosen his favored Heavy Frame, and packed as much firepower into it as he could, including the (probably very necessary) Forge Gun. If he had to play cavalry for those two foolish Capsuleers, then he was damn well going to lay waste to anything that stood in front of him.

"Ready?" he barked, as the sounds of movement dwindled away behind him. At the agreement of each of his squadmembers, Gaihir nodded and took a step into the launch bay. "Then off we go, children!"

Snorts and grumbles followed his announcement, but they all followed along. Soon, ten streaks of light were falling through the atmosphere, heading directly for the area around the tower where they had been informed the known secret entrance to an underground tunnel system was located.

Cavalry was on its way, boys and girls. Try not to die before they arrived.
aireona93
Dragon

Post by aireona93 »

((I've decided that it is a good thing. I have less data to deal with now, and thus, I can get done faster. I am also trying to go to Haiti anyway just for fun, so I signed up for a tour. It is super last minute, but I am really excited about it.))

Lajira’s questions were unbeknownst to Smyth, of course, but the construct’s mind was drifting further and further away from those thoughts. She was on edge, a knife’s edge, and it felt like death was around the corner. All of her instincts were screaming at her to turn back, to avoid the greatest unknown… had she had time, she might have wondered where these fears came from. If Zuri was right about her inability to die a physical death, then why were the old human instincts still in her? As it was, Smyth’s mind didn’t dwell on these things either at the moment. She was concentrating on the moment at hand, all her senses trained on the darkness that fell in behind them as they passed. Being at the end of the line meant that she would watch their rear… or help watch the rear. The behavior of the rest of the group had triggered Smyth’s training, but she knew that she wasn’t a part of their unit, not really… and that made things uncomfortable, to say the least.

Ciren trailing after her didn’t help much either. The little dragonet was a survivor to be sure, but she wasn’t a soldier, and it wasn’t even clear how much of a fighter she really was. It was easy to forget that the dragon was just a youngling. Dragons were such large, fearsome creatures; even the small ones seemed as much a danger as an adult humanoid, probably more so. That didn’t mean that Ciren knew what she was doing… certainly not down here. This was Corin’s territory not the Ordivacians.’ Even so, Smyth figured that Ciren would serve as another pair of eyes in the back; if anything, the little dragoness was sure to be well attuned to her surroundings. That was a skill that no living Ordivacian could do without.

Zuri stayed behind. She could reappear when she needed to, and for the time being she needed to explore all of the systems that Corin had connected down here. There was plenty of data to be mined and a myriad of things to be learned if only she could hack her way in. These tunnels were maintained, and they might serve as a backdoor into something interesting. At the very least, the AI could clue the group in when Corin became alerted to their presence, which was bound to be sooner rather than later…

Zuri’s visible form flickered out of existence, and as if on cue, the hallway in front of the group let out a strange groaning sound, as though the metal that made up its walls was being twisted and shifted. Smyth readied her weapon, and Ciren pricked up, trying to ready herself for whatever strange thing might be about to happen. The groaning, metallic sound continued and the lights in the tunnel began to flicker on and off, at first randomly, and then with a strange rhythm. At the strobing became more of a pattern, the sounds coming from the walls began to take on a strange new character, sounding more and more like a voice, although the words were unintelligible. Behind them, when Smyth turned to insure that nothing was coming up the passageway that they had already come through, the lights were popping and a really, subterranean darkness was taking hold.
~åi®¥

Image ImageImage
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

((Whoops, sorry. Summer trouble and then Pokemon Go ate my life, ahahaha... ^^;; Did you have fun on your tour?))

Shaltach kept advancing steadily down the tunnel, charged ion blade and low-light vision on her helmet doing as much as they could to light her way. But even that couldn't penetrate far -- there was just something about the way tunnels worked that left them difficult to see down. Frankly, she hated tunnels the most. No telling what was around a bend, or hidden behind a side-shaft that wasn't visible from afar. They were like buildings, only worse.

She paused when the walls gave a strange groaning sound, warily scanning the world around her with senses and technology. She couldn't see any true shifting or movement in the walls, but that sound didn't fill her with confidence.

Idein took the few steps up to her, standing shoulder to shoulder at her side as the sound continued and the lights started to flicker.

"Ever feel like you're trapped inside a beast?" Idein muttered, as he drew his rifle and brought it to his shoulder. There was nothing yet visible that he could shoot, but having his weapon out felt better than scrambling for it at the last minute.

"Didn't need that mental image," Shaltach replied. Her helmet filtered the pulsating lights out, but it was still disorienting, especially combined with the strange groaning noises.

The sound of popping lights drew her gaze temporarily over her shoulder, and she grimaced at the darkness that was setting in.

"Sir."

Karjan's gaze shifted to look at Shaltach, his expression remaining flat even as he pulled out and snapped a second glow light around his other wrist. "Keep moving." His attention moved slightly to take in Ciren and Smyth behind him, then to the darkening tunnel behind them.

His fleet windows stood out sharply against the descending darkness, ghostly outlines that did nothing to illuminated the darkness around him. It felt like they were being herded down, chased by an unseen foe just beyond their senses. Even Aura could pinpoint nothing, not being designed for probing the depths of a planet. His translator could make nothing of the sounds that were emanating from the walls now, but there was a certain linguistic quality to it that chilled him to his bones. While the idea of the planet itself being alive was absurd, he would not ignore the possibility of something large, dangerous, and probably very pissed being down here with them.

So. He warned the squadron of DUSTers that were hunting their trail, alerting them to the oddities they were currently experiencing, then turned to urge Shaltach and Idein on.

With a firm nod of agreement, Shaltach turned back to the way they had been heading, and continued on, her pace just a touch slower in deference to the descending darkness and the sounds of... something that continued to echo through the tunnel.
aireona93
Dragon

Post by aireona93 »

((No worries! I know how it is. XDD I am far more troublesome for this RP than you. But I think we are doing pretty good! Especially considering that we have to adult these days.))

Neither Ciren nor Smyth made a sound as the lights went out. The inky blackness wrapped around them for a few brief moments, before they both realized that a new source of light was starting to illuminate the tunnel. Thin, but widening lines of what looked to be bioluminescence was weaving its way through the tunnel walls, which now looked to be made of a strangely translucent material. The colors of the lights within the walls shifted from a cool blue, to a purple, red, orange, yellow, and finally white.

"That's not any sort of technology that I've seen in Corin's records," Smyth informed them all. "So, they didn't build these tunnels, they just added onto them." She briefly wondered if her voice could be heard over the pattern of sound that was still filling the underground space. Her companions seemed well equipped though… one way or another, they would be fine. And Ciren was listening, if the look of concern, or what Smyth supposed was concern, was any indication.

"If this isn't the humans,'" the little dragon said. "Then who?" Smyth shrugged as they kept moving forward. She kept her gun at the ready, and she hoped that Ciren's survival instincts were primed. The lights in the walls, while maintaining their color now, flickered in and out, making the space behind the group very hard to see through.

"Whoever was here before the humans, I guess," she mused. "The only people that know the full history of this world are Corin, we don't have records from before the settlement… which in retrospect probably was not a mistake on the part of the company." Smyth trailed off. The sound in the tunnel was growing louder, more instent, and more and more like… a voice.

The group came to a fork in the tunnel. Either side looked exactly the same. Even the patterns of lights in both directions twisted and twirled through the translucent material in exactly the same pattern. There was no way to tell which way was better. Smyth tried to comm Zuri but the AI did not respond.

"What now?" She wondered aloud to the group.

"I think we need to go that way," Ciren pointed to the left. Smyth follow where she was pointing, and could see no reason why the dragoness would prefer that direction.

"Why?" She asked.

"I don't know really," the dragon admitted. "Something about that sound… I just think it's telling us to go that way." Smyth decided to leave it up to their companions whether they would follow the young dragon's advice or not. Perhaps their ship would give them more information on the tunnels or maybe they had data on the planet from before… anything would be helpful at this point.
~åi®¥

Image ImageImage