New Species Idea

Got an idea? Share it here!

Moderators: Mystic Dragon, Xalia, Shard

Yulara
Fledgling

New Species Idea

Post by Yulara »

So, Rhiannon and I were talking this evening and were discussing a possible new species of dragon. We're both Asian buffs, so the new species would be a Chinese dragon in body but many more color options (possibly gem themed?). I was just wondering if anyone would be interested at all, especially since there are so few of us, before I undertake trying to find someone to do the artwork. I struggle with even drawing stick figures in proportion. LOL. If nothing else this would provide a place for odd colored... maybe duo-winged? dragons to fly or reside. These dragons would most likely have genetic codes similar to those of the Asana dragons since I love that so much.

So, would anyone be intersted in this project?
Shard
Great Wyrm

Re: New Species Idea

Post by Shard »

YUSS.

I have my group of reindeer dragons and they've got at least one 'eastern' style dragon there, I'm sure they'd enjoy company.
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
weyrwomanrhiannon
Fledgling

Post by weyrwomanrhiannon »

These would most likely have the horns/antlers of the true Chinese dragon. She would be running it by herself since I have Aneris, and she's already setting up the world they'd go in. The real problem would be getting someone to do the artwork for it since absolutely neither of us draws. She's worried it might be too complicated though because she wants there to be a possiblity for mutation in the genetics, but only a specific kind of mutation.

The world she's setting up sounds really awesome though. It has notes of Pern and Asana and her own twist of awesome to it. :)
Rider of Gold Alanath, Sr. Weyrwoman of Aneris Weyr
Kitsuneko
Ancient Dragon

Post by Kitsuneko »

Admittedly I've been slow in paging things lately, but I'd certainly be interested in learning more about these creatures, and yeah, if you open clutches, I'll probably send in a candidate or two at least. :)

I might be interested in donating templates as well, though it would largely depend on the nature of the mutations and how hard they would be to incorporate into the same template.
Darkling Dawn: Fauna Frenzy Open to candidates; flights open to males/females; rukel eggs/breedings available.
Drockh-Tallahn Castle: 3 eggs, 2 available. Females and males needed.
Sgiath Wolfkeep: 7 pups available
Sedona Weyr: 12 eggs, Deadline March 8. Chasers and a female needed.
Yulara
Fledgling

Post by Yulara »

Thanks for the opinions everyone! I have a lot of time on my hands right now, so I just thought it would be fun to do an adoptable again.

As far as templates go, Kitsuneko, the body would be the same no matter what. The only mutations or optional features I'm planning on right now are the long whiskers that you usually see on Chinese dragons (these would be absent on females), male and female versions of horns (the male version would obviously be longer and more elaborate), wings, and duo wings. Having these options available would allow me to accomodate those that might be like me and have odd dragons floating around out there from older weyrs and such that no longer exist flying at this new site. So, Pernese, Geperna, and others would be welcome to fly there. The best option I can think of is to have the main body in one layer and the optional parts each in a separate layer so that you can make them visable or not as you need them. It would have to be a shaded template since I have zero artistic skills outside of coloring, and Rhiannon might have some kind of nervous breakdown if I asked her to shade it after her ordeal with the Aneris firelizards.

EDIT: The majority of mutations would be color mutations as opposed to physical mutations. The wing mutations are really just to accomodate other species of dragons that may fly there and the resulting clutches.
Xalia
Great Wyrm

Post by Xalia »

The artist in me is intrigued by this...but Kitsuneko volunteered first so I guess I'll have to wait and watch...I /love/ traditional chinese dragons...did a clutch of them once myself...or at least a clutch where a chinese style dragon mated with a normal dragon if I recall correctly...was a lot of fun to work with! :)
Kilandaia
Tripaldi Weyr
TSCZ
Jurizlandia-Coming Soon
Kitsuneko
Ancient Dragon

Post by Kitsuneko »

If you can handle altering a template to include all the mutations, Xalia, feel free to give it a shot and I'll step aside. I have a rough idea of how it could work, but I've never really done anything on that scale before, and my drawing skills with a mouse are complete rubbish. >.<
Darkling Dawn: Fauna Frenzy Open to candidates; flights open to males/females; rukel eggs/breedings available.
Drockh-Tallahn Castle: 3 eggs, 2 available. Females and males needed.
Sgiath Wolfkeep: 7 pups available
Sedona Weyr: 12 eggs, Deadline March 8. Chasers and a female needed.
Yulara
Fledgling

Post by Yulara »

I'm very appreciative of the offers, and I'm very glad that there seems to be some interest in this project. I'd be happy to have either of you do the artwork as I know you are both skilled. I really don't want this to bog either one of you down or become stressful for you, so if one of you has more time available to work on this, by all means. There's no hurry on this at all really. It will most likely take me two to three weeks just to set up the site and get all of the details worked out. If either of you needs more details about what I'm looking for in the artwork besides my post above, you can PM me.
Yulara
Fledgling

Post by Yulara »

Okay, I have the new site up...sort of. http://veyalder.zxq.net This is the current site. Please let me know what you think. Obviously, there's no content, and none of the links actually work. However, this is the general scheme of things. Also, right now it's located under one of my other accounts, but do any of you think that it would be easier for me to relocate it to its own area so that the link would be more apparent such as zykera.whatever.com? Thanks for all of the opinions so far! XD

EDIT: Fixed the url.
Last edited by Yulara on Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

heheh... >_> Visually looks very nicely styled!

The name is so very close to Zekira. ;)
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
Yulara
Fledgling

Post by Yulara »

Thanks, Shard! Each page will be styled the same way in a different color to provide a bit of visual variety.

Whoops! I hadn't heard of Zekira. Should I change the name?
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

The World of Zekira has been my rpg world since... um... like 1984. It's on my to-Kickstarter list. Right now the web site is badly in need of revamping, but http://www.droppin-the-fork.com/zekira/ ... ra/woz.htm is its current incarnation. :)
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
Yulara
Fledgling

Post by Yulara »

Well, in that case, I will change the name since yours has obviously been around longer. XD Are there any issues with the name Veyalder that anyone might know of? I really don't want to step on anyone's toes.
weyrwomanrhiannon
Fledgling

Sorry Shard, I'd forgotten about Zekira until you said something about it. I like the name Veyalder. They'd be Veyaldric dragons then. :)

Yulara is hard at work putting everything together for this new world. I hope you guys will be excited by it.
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

Yeah that's pretty cool. :D
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
Neishai
Dragon

Post by Neishai »

I looooove long/lung style dragons. I admit that I know little to nothing about dragon genetics, so as long as you provide "can" and "can not" in the case of breeding, I'll do my best to accommodate! :)
N'tyr Phii // We're Rococo / Caer Obelisk / Voivode's horde // Planet Muto
Bonder/Sponsor Database thread!

Please contact me if you find I owe you paged dragons.
Please also contact me if you have re-homed my dragons (so I don't page them by accident!)
If you just want to talk that's great!
Discord: Neishai#8117 // Toyhou.se: Melomar
Yulara
Fledgling

Post by Yulara »

No problem, Neishai! I'm going to do my best to make it as straightforward as possible so that everyone can enjoy it, and well, once it's actually up and running, people with questions can always contact me.

Just an FYI, I'm most of the way through writing up the history. I'll probably have it finished in the next couple of days if not sooner. Once it's finsihed I'll post a link so people can read through it if they want.
Neishai
Dragon

Post by Neishai »

At the very least I'll be sure to ask questions as they occur to me. I'm excited to see the history, I'll definitely like to read through it.

Please also contact me if you have re-homed my dragons (so I don't page them by accident!)
Yulara
Fledgling

Post by Yulara »

I was bored today, so I finished writing up the history. The link to its current home is below. I will most likely be setting up a site specifically for this project on webs. I'm just waiting to make sure that no one has any issues with the name Veyalder before I make an account and can't change the name. XD

http://veyalder.zxq.net/history.htmll

Enjoy!

EDIT: Fixed url.
Last edited by Yulara on Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
weyrwomanrhiannon
Fledgling

I think the history sounds awesome. I think you thought it out really well and it makes sense.
Yulara
Fledgling

Post by Yulara »

Thanks, Rhiannon! Has anyone else had the chance to look over it? If not, that's fine. It is a bit long. LOL. Also, if no one has any issues with the current name of Veyalder, then I'm going to go ahead and start setting up the new site. Once I have everything that I have up, I'll edit the older posts with the updated links. XD
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

Yeah I agree, I liked the history, I just didn't get back here to comment. Nicely done!
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
Yulara
Fledgling

Post by Yulara »

Well it seems like webs and freehostia no longer do free subdomain hosting without already having a domain of your own in place, which I don't. So, I'm on the hunt for a place to put my new world.

EDIT: Found a good site. The new homepage for Veyalder is http://veyalder.zxq.net!
Neishai
Dragon

Post by Neishai »

I keep meaning to get back to you on this. Often I will find that at the end of the day I will have time to read new posts but not to reply! But today is Saturday.

I read the history and it sounds very intriguing. Gargoyles. I grew up watching that cartoon and even created my own characters based on them; of course I did, I did with the ninja turtles too, haha! ANYWAY. The idea of dealing with some gargoyles (good or bad) in a storyline makes me very happy! Two creatures from myth clashing on a great battlefield where humans are caught in the middle, and their story full of magic and mysteries... Sounds like a good time to me!

zxq, that sounds like a zymic domain. If it is... they've done right by me, they're fabulous for free service (and I know they have a paid service too). :)

Yulara
Fledgling

Post by Yulara »

No problem, Neishai! I completely understand about getting to read replies but not reply.

LOL. I grew up on Gargoyles as well! I loved that show, particularly Bronx. Who wouldn't love a gargoyle dog? I'm glad that people seem to like the history and that it makes sense. That's what I was most worried about because sometimes things that make perfect sense to me in my head don't translate so well when I try to write it out for someone else.

Yes, it is a zymic domain. I went through several other sites before I finally found that one, and so far I'm pretty happy with it. It seems very easy to use. None of the links work yet, but I'll gradually put things up and get things running. XD
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

Lung dragon is lung! :P

Sounds like a great idea!

My only critique is that your header .jpg images (the text at the top) might be too sharp a gradient. If you lightened up the left and right a bit, I think the word itself ('Veyalder', 'History') will pop more as a word. The rest just looks shiny. ^_^
Yulara
Fledgling

Post by Yulara »

Thanks, Dray! I was a bit worried about that, so I've changed it. It should be easier to read on the main page. I'll have the new history image up in a jiffy. XD

EDIT: New images are up. All the links now work, and I've started keeping updates on the front page. Once everything is up, and I'm ready to open it, I'll start a new thread elsewhere.