2011 Christmas Giveaway

Giveaways or draws, contests or freebies, this is where to go for critters being given out in a non-clutch format.

Moderators: Mystic Dragon, Xalia, Shard

aireona93
Dragon

2011 Christmas Giveaway

Post by aireona93 »

Storybits!! by Starfyre and Airy XDDD
In the Fenda:soan year of 0410.84, Dr. Hineth Rona'de discovered an ancient ship built by the mysterious Primoris species- whose empire once spanned several galaxies including the Milky Way. This piece of technology turned out to be definitive evidence that the Primoris were a draconic species, which was something that the proud Dr. Rona'de had been trying to prove since she started her archeological expeditions. However, instead of returning to the Federation with her find, the doctor disappeared and took her find with her.

The Federation began to track the rogue dragon, but she managed to evade her pursuers for over a standard year. During this time, it appears that she was able to figure out what the purpose of the Primoris ship was. Although the doctor kept her studies of the artifact mostly to herself as she neared her decision to abandon her oaths to the Federation, her use of the technology has made its purpose apparent to Federation scientists as well. The Primoris Find, as it is now referred to, was a seeding vessel. In other words, the Primoris appeared to have used it to terraform worlds and then seed them with draconic species designed to survive in whatever conditions were present on the target world. In 0411.84, Dr. Ronda'de used the Find on Orcus, a small world on the fringes of the human home system, and while she failed to terraform the world, she did manage to leave a new draconic species behind.

Unfortunately for the Orcus, as the new species has taken to being called, without the proper terraforming, immediate extinction was certain. However, the Federation was tracking Dr. Rona'de very closely, and they discovered the species that she had created before they perished on their dead homeworld. Currently, the Alliance is working to protect the Orcus. Many of them have been evacuated from their homeworld, and efforts are being made to create a hospitable cityscape for them to live in on their homeworld. Several members of the species, after being evacuated, have also set out into the Nexus- curious as they are about other draconic species.

The Drakkar, on the other hand, were an old race, though perhaps a bit... too old. Their society had risen to a peak of superiority, conquered their vast world with the help of their two-foot kin... and then crumbled. Greed had driven a splinter group to extremes and the entire population paid for it. Their cities in ruins or completely obliterated from the map, their society broken, their two-foot kin mostly killed, the Drakkar retreated back to the mountains that had given birth to them and began the painstaking work of rebuilding.

And then the strangers came. Huge creatures that made even the largest Drakkar look like a hatchling, accompanied by some of the strangest two-feet that the Drakkar had ever seen. Terrified of this unexpected invasion, the already fractured society fractured further, fleeing to the four corners of the world. In the terror and confusion, one group of Drakkar linked their magics to their leader, an Air Drakkar by the name of Ennokah, and teleported away. They meant to escape to an island that Ennokah had found in his youth.

Where they ended up was an entirely different matter. A dark, cold place, with air so thin they could barely breathe. In a panic, and too exhausted to teleport the entire group once more, Ennokah extended what remained of his magic and hastily anchored it to form a large bubble of atmosphere. But the effort cost him mightily, and he, already old and worn from the teleportation, passed on. Jarred from their merge so abruptly, it took precious hours before the remaining Drakkar could continue what Ennokah had begun.

And so, their little refuge formed - Airs to anchor the atmosphere, Fires and Lavas to drive the temperature up, Earths and Woods and Waters to attempt to coax life from lifelessness, and the rest to watch helplessly as their comrades did everything in their power to keep them from dying.

This unnatural spot of life on such a lifeless world drew the attention of the Federation, who were already there and moving the native Orcus dragons from the planet. And finally, the rest of the Drakkar clan had a purpose - to keep their brethren from harm. Having never encountered other intelligent species before (and their two-feet didn't count, as they were nothing but little Drakkar that walked on two legs, had lost their wings, and, in general Drakkar belief, had hit every branch on the ugly tree on the way down), and having only recently fled their homes at the invasion of creatures that could easily kill them by accident because they didn't see them there, the Drakkar weren't best pleased with strangers. It would take some doing for the Federation to prove themselves friends.

At 6am this morning, I decided that it was just wrong for there to not be at least one Christmas giveaway at the Nexus- so here I am!
No details yet, but I will tell you that I am going to be handing a new species out! Complete with loads of information and perhaps a little story blurb (depending on how I feel). I should be able to get some more information up soon.

Also, no pressure to post whatever you get. That kind of sounds bad, but I'd like to give out as many as I can and I think the idea of trying to get stuff posted has stopped alot of really busy/stressed people from hanging around. So, let me know if there's any interest (hopefully there will be), and I will start to get things going!
Last edited by aireona93 on Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~åi®¥

Image ImageImage
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Re: 2011 Christmas Giveaway

Post by StarFyre »

Hah! Interest here ^^ I was thinking about doing one too, but I kept trying to type something up and kept coming up blank. If you want to recieve something too, I could take a moment later tonight or tomorrow to do sooooo. Wanna?
aireona93
Dragon

Post by aireona93 »

Of course! I love getting dragons!

Hm- it might be fun to set up an RP for these guys too! If anyone is interested in that!
~åi®¥

Image ImageImage
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

Oohh, this might be a good time to introduce the Drakkar, since I have all their info done, and an RP would be fun!

((for the record - http://www.silveredmagic.com/images/ran ... t_fire.png <-- Fire Drakkar))
aireona93
Dragon

Post by aireona93 »

Now would be the perfect time to introduce them! XD! That looks totally awesome, Starfyre! GEEZ!
~åi®¥

Image ImageImage
Starburst
Ancient Dragon

Post by Starburst »

Holy crap Star that is amazing. O____O WAAAANT.

Aire, you're not the only one thinking that there should be a Christmas giveaway - I was thinking about doing one too XD But I'm very excited to see what you've got in store!
Molly
Meridian Weyr | Caer Nova | Perigee Castle | Starfall Dragonry
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

So, Airy, do we want to do things separately, or throw something together together?
aireona93
Dragon

Post by aireona93 »

Hm... it could be interesting to try to do something together- although the back story that is developing for the species that I'd like to give out is a little outlandish. I wonder how we could put the two giveaways together?
~åi®¥

Image ImageImage
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

Well, the Drakkar are attached to no specific world whatsoever. I could always do something along the lines of egg-traders coming through *grins* Though more than a few of them would be really, really scarred with how possessive/protective Drakkar are of their eggs.
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

I'm interested too! I'm working on a template as well (just a breeding, not a fancy new species!) but I'd love to do an exchange. I enjoy paging things... it just sometimes takes me a while (a whiiiiiiiile) to get things down. ^^;

Anything you arrange, I would love to participate in!
aireona93
Dragon

Post by aireona93 »

Sweet, guys! Starfyre, if you'd like we could chat about my idea through some messages so that it doesn't get spoiled for everyone else- then we can decide how to make our giveaways connect.

I thought I would be more productive today, but so far I just have a head shot and a general body sketch. It's a pretty crazy looking species though- if I do say so myself. XDDD
~åi®¥

Image ImageImage
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

Sure, that sounds great. Feel free to PM me (larger PM boxes ftw! ^^)

Hahaha, you're trying to be productive on Xmas day? Blasphemy! =P
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

I shan't have time to communicate about making any event-based things -- Kat's and my families are both pretty grabby-hands about Xmas so we spend very little time on the computer as compared to usual... but I'm stoked to see what foments!
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

lol grabbyhands. I'm currently at loose ends as mom is finishing up the feast and everyone else is off doing their own last minute wrapping.
delyar
Dragon

Post by delyar »

If you want to make it a more-than-two theme exchange thing, please post about it. :) I may actually have time to join in.
Character Listing
Site Listing - Links to All Sites (Link back here if confused!)
aireona93
Dragon

Post by aireona93 »

To sign up for these guys- just let me know that you're interested and let me know what neon marking color that you want. XDD Oh... also, in case it was missed- story bits are in the first post!

Orcus Info

Species Name: Primoris draconis sp. 90482

Other Names: Orcus

Homeworld: Orcus 90482

Federation Status: Allied

Primary Class: Created Draconic

Intelligence Class: Class 7: Self-aware; telepathic species

Population Class: Group 2: 5,000 or under

Lifespan: 45 SFP (90 SY)

Average Height of Adult: 4.6 Meters (15 Feet)

Age of Sexual Maturity: 10 SFP

Coloration: Common base colors for Orcus skin are greys and dark blues which match the color of their frozen homeworld. They generally sport bright, neon stripes on their faces, and the tips of their limbs. Their scales are generally a darker shade than their skin, and their manes are usually a dark grey color.

Diet: Like much of the Orcus physiology, the diet of this species was designed to match the resources available on the ice world where they were seeded. Without any ecosystem to speak of, the resulting species was left to feed primarily on frozen methane- which their specialized tongues can bore out of the icy surface of their planet. They will also consume minerals found in the rare patches of rocks scattered across the dead surface of their world. However, these sources of minerals and energy is not enough to keep full grown Orcus alive for longer than a few months. At this time, the Federation is working to supplement Orcus dietary needs through artificial means, but their extremely specialized digestive system has made this fairly difficult. Research is ongoing.

Gestation Period: 1 SFP

Development: Orcus development is extremely slow- and the exact reasons for this pattern is not yet known. Female dragons will carry developing clutches of 2-3 hard shelled eggs inside them for nearly 2 SY. After being laid, these eggs may take any where from 3-4 SFP to hatch, and siblings of the same clutch may not hatch at the same time. The triggering mechanism for individual eggs is not yet understood, as resource availability does not appear to be a factor in a lab setting. While unhatched, there appears to be very little growth or activity within the eggs, and for the most part, it would seem that the unborn hatchlings are in a sort of suspended animation. The low temperatures experienced on Orcus appear to be the ideal environment for Orcus nests, and higher temperatures have resulted in mutations and early death for the young dragons.
Without natural instincts for protection, or a culture to impress the importance of knowledge preservation- parents often leave their eggs and young unwatched and untaught as soon as their eggs are safely laid. Mated pairs often stay together, and further family connections may form later on in offspring's lives- if they happen upon their parents in adulthood. Family members seem to have an innate instinct for kin recognition, and while parents and offspring do not often remain together for long, they maintain peaceful relations.

Physical Description: The Orcus, with their close genetic connection to the ancestral dragon, sports the six limbed body common to draconic species. However, their mid-body limbs, which are general seen to serve as wings in most dragon species, lack membranes or feathers, and appear to act more as climbing and digging aids more than anything else. The Orcus are also known to raise themselves up on these limbs so that they may more easily use their forefeet as hands. Much of the Orcus body is covered by smooth, thick skin, although they also sport layered scales along their necks and limbs. They also have a thick, fibrous mane covered and protecting their necks, bellies, and long tails.
Like the rest of their bodies, the Orcus head is a variant of the general draconic skull. They sport the predatory, wedge shaped head, and also sport a crown of jagged, skin covered horns. Unlike most dragons, however, members of the Orcus species lack anything more than an indication of an ancestral mouth. All eating is done with the use of a specialized tongue which can be extended from twin openings at the front of the Orcus muzzle- all that remains of nostrils. The Orcus also have two sets of standard eyes, and five sets of small compound eyes lining either side of their face.
Senses: While their vision is not particularly acute, they have two sets of main eyes which are extremely sensitive to light, and several sets of compound eyes which appear to be attuned to movement even in near pitch blackness. They completely lack a sense of taste, but members of this species have an impressive sense of smell which allows them to track down methane deposits over long distances. They also lack a true sense of touch, but are well attuned to even minuscule temperature changes around their bodies.

Emotions: Standard

Communication: The Orcus communicate primarily through the use of telepathy, however, they also send hormonal signals to eachother, and may communicate with gestures of their long tails, and shifts in their body temperatures.

Anatomical Specialties: Most of the Orcus' body is kept at a very low temperature, with only key points on the body being warmed by the internal processing of methane within the Orcus body. Areas with key organs and muscles groups are covered by fur, and are located near these warming methane digesting organs.

Breeding Compatibility: Compatible draconic species that are able to mate and rear young in low temperatures.

Breeding Notes: Members of this species prefer to mate with their own, and a relationship of several years will be necessary for them to mate with individuals of other species.

Species Abilities: Telepathy

Special Species Abilities: N/A

Social Organization: The Orcus are a generally solitary species, however, as mentioned above, they spend their younger years with two to three other young dragons of their age, and will then spend much of their adult life with a devoted mate. Otherwise, they do not appear to naturally organize into large groups, and there is little instinctual demand for a command structure of any type.

Religion: N/A

Culture: N/A

Relations: As this is a fairly new species, they have yet to gain themselves a reputation of any sort- good or bad. Those that know of them consider them somewhat strange, but not without reason. They have no culture to speak of, and many of them, having been seeded on their homeworld, lack any sort of childhood experience.

History: The history of the Orcus species truly begins with the discovery made by Dr. Hineth Rona'de in the year 0410.84. The Nexus Dragon archeologist, whose work primarily focused on the ancient Primoris Empire, discovered a derelict Primoris ship near the core of the Milky Way. While still reporting to the Federation, Dr. Rona'de had deduced from her find that the mysterious Primoris species was draconic, and in fact, may be the mother species to many of the draconic beings found throughout the modern universe. However, shortly after the final report detailing these finding, Dr. Rona'de ceased communications and using the power core to her Alliance craft, activated the Primoris ship. At this point, it can be assumed that Dr. Rona'de had realized what the ship was for, and decided that the only proper way to study it was by active use (which, due to the technology's seeding process, would have been illegal within the Federation).
The world of Orcus was seeded with Primoris species 90482 in the Alliance year 0411.84. Due to the Federation's efforts to locate the rogue doctor, the species was found a few short months after being engineered and seeded… and before they could succumb to extinction. Since then, the Federation has evacuated 75% of the population, and has begun construction on a central city that may support the Orcus enough to allow most of them to return to their home. Most of the evacuated individuals do hope to return to Orcus, as their unique biology makes them most comfortable there, but a few have wandered out into the Nexus as well.
~åi®¥

Image ImageImage
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

Oh man, this sounds so epic and awesome! :D Count me in!

Name: Dray
Neon Colour: Yellow?
JKatkina
Ancient Dragon

Post by JKatkina »

Oh whoa. Thumbs up on these guys; they're rad, and they have a cool backstory!

I would love one. As for the neon color, how about orange?
Image Image Image Image
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

^^ I know, aren't they awesome? Airy art triumphs agaaaain.

I'd (clearly) like one, Airy - how about green?

Also, yes, I'm involved in this, but the Drakkar will be up later (likely tomorrow) because I'm currently too pissed to do anything (and I don't have access to photoshop anymore). My brand new HD died. Again. Grrrrr.
delyar
Dragon

Post by delyar »

Ooh this is so cool!

Name: Delyar
Neon Colour: Neon green!
Character Listing
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

Race name: (s) Drakkar (dra-kar), (pl) Drakkari (dra-kar-ee)

Size: 6-8 ft tall at the shoulder, 25-34 ft long from nose to tail tip, 25-35' wingspan from wingtip to wingtip. Females are larger than males.

Speech: Verbal, projective empathy

Food: Carnivorous, with the occasional foray into fruit and sweets

General Skills:
  • Elemental-based Teleportation - this holds true for all but the four "end tier" elements, being Celestial, Infernal, Aether, and Void, who travel through the medium of air, fire, light, and shadow respectively
  • Linked Teleportation - the ability to link with another dragon to be pulled along when they teleport as a 'passenger'
  • Projective Empathy - the ability to project emotions to those around them, though they can also pick up emotions from those around as well
  • Breath Weapon - based on their element
  • Drakkarel's Gift - the ability to share their magic with any bond they have

Mates: Drakkar are not naturally monogamous, though there are some who do mate for life. Drakkar females look for a mate with good coloration and who can impress them both verbally and physically

Clutches: Drakkar females will build a nest in a safe, guarded location to have their clutch - caves, defendable gullies, and other such nooks are preferred. They will lay between three and five eggs at a time, about once every three years. The eggs are heated with their bodies. Males have nothing to do with the clutch outside of bringing food to the female, who will not leave the nest until her eggs hatch.

Elements:
  • Fire - Base element, bright reds, traditional Fire breath, fire based magics
  • Water - Base element, bright blues, Water breath - powerful jet of water, water based magics
  • Air - Base element, pale blues, Ferocious Roar - powerful cone of sound, air based magics
  • Earth - Base element, browns, Petrification - an expanding blast that petrifies anything caught in it, earth based magics
  • Steam - Secondary element, Fire x Water, greys, Steam Jet - a blast of superheated steam, Illusion based magics
  • Sand - Secondary element, Earth x Air, pale browns, Sandstorm - a blast of sand and wind, sun based magics
  • Lava - Secondary element, Fire x Earth, dark reds, Inferno breath - super hot fire breath, blood based magic
  • Lightning - Secondary element, Fire x Air, bright yellows, Lightning breath, lightning based magics
  • Ice - Secondary element, Air x Water, cyans, Ice breath - freezes foes, ice based magics
  • Wood - Secondary element, Earth x Water, greens, Acid breath, plant based magics
  • Shadow - tertiary element, Lava x Wood, dark blues to black, Shadow breath - strips those caught in it of sight, shadow based magics
  • Light - tertiary element, Lightning x Ice, pale yellows to white, Light breath - blinds those caught in it, light based magics
  • Celestial - rare tertiary element, Lava x Steam x Lightning, gold to bronze, Sun's Fire - burns but also acts as bane to any with a weakness to the sun, order based magic
  • Infernal - rare tertiary element, Wood x Dust x Ice, dark brown to rusty, Chaos Beam - randomly transforms anything caught into it into anything else, from inanimate to animate, chaos based magic
  • Aether - rare quaternary element, Celestial x Light, pale rainbow, Wounding Breath - unheals anything hit with it, injuries reappear from most recent to ancient, Healing based magic
  • Void - rare quaternary element, Infernal x Shadow, dark violet, Fearful Cry - causes those who hear it great fear, even to the extent of death, Spirit based magic

To gain one of these pretties, just fill this out:

Name:
Element Preferred: (base or secondary only)
Number: (between 0 and 20, if you want to try your luck at gaining a rarer tertiary or quaternary element)
delyar
Dragon

Post by delyar »

Collect ALL the dragons!

Name: Delyar
Element Preferred: Sand
Number: 4
Character Listing
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

Delyar, perhaps we could attempt a side-project to snag allll of the Drakkar elements? :P (Like I have time at the moment... still, one can dream! XD)

out of curiosity, what happens if you breed two not in that list, like Wood x Ice? If one managed to snag a rare tertiary, could it breed backwards to the base elements? :D

Name: Dray
Element Preferred: steam
Number: 8
Starburst
Ancient Dragon

Post by Starburst »

Both are gorgeous!!

Name: Starburst
Neon Colour: Purple

and...

Name: Starburst
Element Preferred: Ice
Number: 18
Molly
Meridian Weyr | Caer Nova | Perigee Castle | Starfall Dragonry
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

Dray wrote: out of curiosity, what happens if you breed two not in that list, like Wood x Ice? If one managed to snag a rare tertiary, could it breed backwards to the base elements? :D
Wood x Ice has the potential to breed you an Infernal =P

To answer the actual question, though, yes. All elements have a chance to breed the bases (and Air, Water, Fire, and Earth can always breed each other), though the further up the tree you get, the rarer that chance gets. I'd give you percentages, but I'd actually have to play pairing generator in order to get it all right =P
JKatkina
Ancient Dragon

Post by JKatkina »

Name: JKatkina
Element Preferred: Lava! :D
Number: 14
Image Image Image Image
aireona93
Dragon

Post by aireona93 »

Name: Aireona
Element Preferred: Wood
Number: 9
~åi®¥

Image ImageImage
aireona93
Dragon

Post by aireona93 »

Here are the gifts for you all! Most of the details that you need to know should be in the species info. Let me know if you have any questions.

Dray
Name: Up to you

JKat

Starfyre

Delyar

Starburst
~åi®¥

Image ImageImage
aireona93
Dragon

Post by aireona93 »

I also forgot to mention that I would love to run an RP with these guys if anyone else is interested!
~åi®¥

Image ImageImage
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

That sounds interesting! What sort of game would it be? I haven't gotten around to paging mine yet, but if you're hoping to do a backstory, that would be fun to include in the paging process. :D