Defiently NOT Nexus related but...

Come and show off your masterpieces!

Moderators: Mystic Dragon, Xalia, Shard, Dray

Yakima
Ancient Dragon

Defiently NOT Nexus related but...

Post by Yakima »

So, i was bored (funny how I'm board the day an expansion to the game comes out...*blink*) and decided to pop back and check up on the Nexus. I really do miss Falas clutches...Flynnth is probably sulking on her weyr ledge glaring at me...

Anyway, I drew this and wanted to show you all that I can now draw people! (well, a dwarf and a hobbit...but they're humanoid. :P)

The dwarf is a friend of mine's character (named Cocah) and the hobbit is mine.
~ Weyrwoman Yakima of Isla Weyr

Isla Weyr: http://www.isla.mage-circle.com
Velare Isle: http://www.velare.mage-circle.com
Treval Dragonry: http://www.treval.mage-circle.com
Alair WolfKeep
The Last Oddessy: http://www.last-oddessy.mage-circle.com
Baskar Castle: http://www.baskar.mage-circle.com
World of Sentra: http://www.sentra.mage-circle.com
Houka Ryuu
Hatchling

Post by Houka Ryuu »

That's a pretty great picture. And I love the colors that you chose for them. ^_^ What is the dwarf's name? Although, with that pointed hat, he kind of reminds me of those cute garden gnome statues. *blink blink*
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

It's definitely the hat that's causing the garden gnome appearance... but I love it!

:D Yakima, your people are getting better... I really like the dwarf, I think he's turned out quite nicely. The hobbit, too! The colouring on the dwarf especially is gorgeous. I really like those colours.

:c Too few people to really run dragon clutches, I feel like... I know how you feel, but on the other hand there's still the mountains of unpaged guys that I have and so many characters that I'd have to write for... sort of blows my mind!
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

Brighter colors on the dwarf and you have the Travelosity gnome ^_^

I do like it though - you're getting pretty good with all that. Eventually, I might put more focus into my art again... at the moment, I'm mostly fiddling with worldbuilding and random skibbles that I don't even both scanning, much less coloring. I just haven't felt very creative for a while (well, outside worldbuilding, but I swear that's a whole different type of creative).

That, and in another few months (barring my paperwork going missing AGAIN), I should be back in school for my Master's work. Mmm perpetual boredom leading me to do things I swore I wouldn't do (in this situation, going for my Masters in the same university I got my Bachelors from, though at least I kept to my "Not gonna do it in the same department! Compsci can go eff itself!" declaration).
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

What kinda world building, Starfyre? Like... writing, or some kind of map-making craziness? (Both are cool!)

Wow, it's awesome to see so many of my friends go for Masters... makes me wish that a Master of Design would make any sense for my major. XD Best of luck... although I suppose we won't really be seeing you very much around here once that starts up. ^^;
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

Mostly I've been writing thoughts down in some of my little black books of doom (I have like.. 20 of them =P though I haven't had a chance to use some of them yet), setting up various societies and interactions between peoples... I do make the occasional map, too. It's fun!

Hah, yeah, Masters work is a bit time consuming >.>;; My husband's doing his PhD work now, so we'll both be really busy.
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

At the very least, having a couple dozen little black books lying around gives you a chance to de-stress when needed. :P
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

Truth. And they're all pretty small - the ones I've been using lately are cheap little things with only about 80 pages in them. Good for detailing out a single society or rough outlines of a story, not much else.
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

...Never the less, that's kind of an awesome idea. Have a book-shelf devoted to a world and fill it up with notebooks about the specific cultures or something? Heck yeah!
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

That's pretty much where I'm going with it. I've got 3-ring binders for the languages I've been building, and my little notebooks for the various cultures, and lots and lots of pens so I can color-code my bits of information.

Well, that and I like writing in colors, since I never got the chance as a keed in highschool to annoy teachers to death with funky colored pens =P
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

XD I think I love you right now. I used to do things like that in my spare time with 99% of my childhood. When I was packing up for the first move, I found a pile of binders up to my hip full of random world-building stuff (mind you, since it was from child/teenager-hood, it was pretty terrible... XD) and it kind of blew my mind that I had done that much stuff for so many different projects. One day I'll be able to focus like that again!

Seriously, though, when you get things organized and such, I would love to see a photo of 'em all. That sort of world-building shenanigans is close to my heart. ^_^
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

*laughs* It's all currently sitting in our closet, vying for space with the clothes we can't bother to put away, some stuffed dragons, my sewing supplies, and other random bits of art stuff =P Well, what isn't currently piled haphazardly atop my desktop computer.

I don't have much (only have three binders at the moment) but it's been slowly growing over the past few months!
delyar
Dragon

Post by delyar »

I've been buying small not-quite-pocket-sized sketchbooks and using them for all sorts of random note making and doodling for world stuff (along with real life stuff too). It's fascinating to look back on but also crazy when you realize you have an entire cupboard full of old sketchbooks (I didn't move my notebooks with me but they would've taken up sooo much room).
Character Listing
Site Listing - Links to All Sites (Link back here if confused!)
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

Having to throw them away because you don't have room to store them is definitely the worst feeling, when moving. They're not necessarily super valuable, but there's a sort of "I put SO much time into that!" feeling, going back and looking over old work. It's nice and pings the nostalgia factors of the brain. ^^;
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

Sadly, no matter how much room my stuff takes up, I rarely/never throw anything I've done away. I'm faaaaar to much of a packrat to feel comfortable doing so. This, then, leads to the fun exercise of "How ze heck are we going to move ALL THIS STUFF?!" <.<;; *whistles innocently*
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

Heh, Kat's like that, too. I go through stages of packrat, "wtf, too much stuff, get rid of all of it!" and then "aw man, if I'd just held onto this thing from five years ago until now, I'd be so happy!" ... and back to packrat again. Luckily, she helped to save some stuff from the latest purge, so I feel a little less awful than I suppose I could have. ^_^"
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

No stages here, just ultimate obsession of packratty-ness =P I've got pieces of art laying around in folders from when I was ten. Also - every single sketch for Akelara from the very first to the very last. And several other images. I think I've only actively destroyed one story, and that was from 6th grade and made me cringe so badly that I actively burned the printed copies that I had. (Yeah, yeah, extreme reaction, I know =P What can I say, I was going through a rebellious teenager stage and was trying to purge all remembrance of that story from my life.)
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

Heh, destruction is just another portion of the creative process. </saccharine>

I don't think I've ever burned anything, though we were forced to do that in our first year at art college. If it weren't a collage to begin with, it might have had more impact... but as it was, I had already disavowed the value of the thing before the burning started, so it wasn't so rebellious anymore. XD
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

When we were moving out of our old apartment over the summer, I found a copy of one of Todd McCaffrey's books that our other roommate left behind. <.< One lighter and a bottle of rubbing alcohol later, book-roasted s'mores were had!
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

WHAT.

*torn between cackles and horror* XD You are probably the best person ever.
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

Or the worst, depending on your opinion of book burning. Lemme tell ya though, that book totally had it coming.
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

I've never bothered to read the Todd-written stuff. I was getting out of my Pern phase at that point and had found some of the story lines lacking the same oomph that they'd given when I first picked up the series. It's too bad that they were so disappointing, though. I'd love if the folks writing Pern had taken things in different directions from the usual gold/bronze-rider drama. Blues and Greens were totally where it was at, man!
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

Yeah, don't bother reading the Todd stuff. It's just... totally not worth it in the slightest. All the retconning, plus the badly written dramatics...

*shrugs* Honestly, in my opinion, the boy should make his own worlds to play in, instead of writing in mommy's world. She finished the series up, got rid of the redstar, killed the MasterHarper, and while I'm not doubting that there are other things in that world's history that could give one-offs of decent quality, it's just not really worth it.
Yakima
Ancient Dragon

Post by Yakima »

rofl you two hijacked my thread. You're silly.

And yes, I know he looks silly with that hat but at the time that's what his player was having him wear all the time. It's suppose to have a pipe on it. I think it's a sun hat...We don't get much control over colors but we can dye some items. This just happens to be the colors (as close as I could get) to what they are in-game. My hobbit has been wearing that freakin robe since she was level 6 or 10...can't remember. She just got to 66 tonight. :P

Funny thing is we get to have houses in the game and one of the decorations he has in his front lawn is...Garden Dwarf Statue. :P

The dwarf's name is Cocah. Full name is Cocah Colah (Coca Cola...:P)

Thank you. My hobbit (Kynta Kelldot aka Super Hobbit if you were wondering) has taken over just about every project she could. She's my little smart ass of my group of characters. But she's fun. (Started a story here: http://stormcrusaders.guildlaunch.com/c ... gid=226353 about the entire Kinship...It might become my NaNo project...maybe...dunno)

Oh, and one reason i've not been around is because of school myself. Going back for graphic design. :P

*giggles at the book episode* I don't mind the books but they do need new stuff. That's why I loved writings stories for Falas Weyr/FGPC Weyrhall/Dark Moon WeyrHodl. I try to keep it somewhat traditional but when you have Genetics and a silly elf running around killing himself, well, it just makes the traditional Pern so much more bearable. *raises a toast to Philippe and K'man and the gang while plotting drawing real pictures of them rather then the silly portrait renderings*

Dray and Starfyre, you may continue hijacking my thread now. :P
~ Weyrwoman Yakima of Isla Weyr

Isla Weyr: http://www.isla.mage-circle.com
Velare Isle: http://www.velare.mage-circle.com
Treval Dragonry: http://www.treval.mage-circle.com
Alair WolfKeep
The Last Oddessy: http://www.last-oddessy.mage-circle.com
Baskar Castle: http://www.baskar.mage-circle.com
World of Sentra: http://www.sentra.mage-circle.com
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

*blink, looks up at thread* Well dayumn, we did hijack the thread, didn't we. 0.o;; I suppose we are silly, then! =P

I think the hat is adorable, and I totally understand the lack of color choices. I mean, to be fair, palette swapping things gets annoying after awhile, even if that's all they really do for about 50% of the various items. That, and I think the whole thing started out as being yet another way to tell different effects and stuff apart (or at least that's how stuff works in Diablo <.< which is about the extent of my experience, outside of Aion, and I didn't play Aion very long. And I'm not counting EVE, because EVE has spaceships, not clothes =P)

Also, lol, garden dwarf statue ^^ Did you know that they sell travelocity garden gnomes? Saw a whole stack of them at Farm and Fleet earlier this summer, which greatly amused me.

I'm frankly a bit grawr about the school, seeing as they lost my paperwork, but I have to balance that with the fact that the professor I want is on sabbatical this semester, aaaannndd... I'm not entirely sure whether "You annoy me" or "Eh, that's a nice break" wins out.

Frankly, I long ago lost interest in Pern. It just... doesn't speak to me anymore. It's so... rote, I suppose. Ah well, to each their own =P