Nexus Colonization Adventure!

For all your update needs.

Moderators: Mystic Dragon, Xalia, Shard

Dray
Dracolich

Nexus Colonization Adventure!

Post by Dray »

Based off a big old chunk of text here, I'd like to invite everyone who's interested in world-building, dragons, and the Nexus to participate in a little game I've set up.

This 'choose your own adventure' game focuses on building a world that Nexus characters will soon be able to colonize and personally explore. Elements of role play will be interspersed with more simple 'suggest options, watch outcome' gameplay. Pull up a seat and drop a comment if you're interested, as I'll be leaving this open for a roll-call for a couple of days to round up interested parties!

JKatkina
Ancient Dragon

Post by JKatkina »

:D! Interested.
Image Image Image Image
aireona93
Dragon

Post by aireona93 »

Interested! Though it'll be hard for me to be super involved.
~åi®¥

Image ImageImage
Kitsuneko
Ancient Dragon

Post by Kitsuneko »

Definitely interested.
Darkling Dawn: Fauna Frenzy Open to candidates; flights open to males/females; rukel eggs/breedings available.
Drockh-Tallahn Castle: 3 eggs, 2 available. Females and males needed.
Sgiath Wolfkeep: 7 pups available
Sedona Weyr: 12 eggs, Deadline March 8. Chasers and a female needed.
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

((Cool, I'll be posting a new blurb in the next couple of days. Just giving everyone a chance to see before moving on too far!))
jess d
Dragon

Post by jess d »

*is intrigued*
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

((Sorry for the wait! I was trying to make a better animation, but haven't quite figured it out yet. Better ones hopefully in the near future!))

You blink out of the cold non-space of teleportation over the first designated point of a new land, one recently plotted for exploration and, potentially, colonization.

Immediately, you are struck by the sensation of the atmosphere. It is....

(Choose one from the following or make up one of your own!)
Cold, Hot, Wet, Dry, Dark, Bright, Noisy, Silent, Windy, Still, etc.
JKatkina
Ancient Dragon

Post by JKatkina »

Bright!

(ps: Dray says everyone can pitch in a word and she'll extrapolate from all of our rad input, so do eet! do eeeeet!)
Image Image Image Image
jess d
Dragon

Post by jess d »

Cold!
Kitsuneko
Ancient Dragon

Post by Kitsuneko »

Windy.
Darkling Dawn: Fauna Frenzy Open to candidates; flights open to males/females; rukel eggs/breedings available.
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

((gif may kill your computer, but I'm trying something fancier, here! If it doesn't seem to be doing anything, let me know... I'm still experimenting a lot.))

Circling this blastedly bright and windy landscape, the first thing you notice is the cold air that tries to lift your wings and throw you off course. It's only with some difficulty that you manage to right yourself and, circling tentatively, you get to work scanning the land below.

(Pick a square or squares on the grid to indicate natural phenomena, and choose one of the following, or make up your own! You can also use generic terms: "North, South, East, West, Center" if you'd like.)
Hills, Forests, Lake, Mountains, Swamps, Grasslands, Cliffs, Ocean, Desert, Icelands, River, Caves, etc.
JKatkina
Ancient Dragon

Post by JKatkina »

Hmmm! Let's see...

E3, river!
Image Image Image Image
jess d
Dragon

Post by jess d »

C7, Forests
Kitsuneko
Ancient Dragon

Post by Kitsuneko »

C2, Mountains
Unyko
Dragon

Post by Unyko »

F8, CAVES :D

*glees a little*
Image... Image ... Image

Post by Dray »

You take note of the mountainous region, snapping a picture for the databanks as you attempt to keep a steady course through the wind. A high set of mountain peaks marches diagonally from north-west to south-east, and towards the south you spot some cracks in the range that might prove to be a cave system. On the south side of the range, a quick-running river winds a course parallel to the mountains, while on the north side, a heavy mixture of deciduous and coniferous trees march away out of view. Despite the coldness of the area, it seems that these plants have adapted to bear the frost in order to capitalize on the extreme light.

You decide that you have scanned enough of the area, and teleport to the second of five locations.

You blink out of the cold non-space of teleportation over the second designated survey point, quick to take in immediate sensations of the atmosphere after the gusty surprise from the last point. You sense...

(Choose one from the following or make up one of your own!)
Kitsuneko
Ancient Dragon

Post by Kitsuneko »

(Wondering how a river runs parallel to a mountain range when water flows downhill...other than that, looks neat. XD)

Wet!
jess d
Dragon

Post by jess d »

Noisy :)
JKatkina
Ancient Dragon

Post by JKatkina »

Gonna "bright" it up in here! :3
Image Image Image Image
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

You are immediately drenched and rebuffed by the resounding noise and rain that seems to be a constant, here! The brightness of your previous location has not abated; it's really very overwhelming. Never the less, you are determined to make a proper survey, so you find a stable circling route and begin to look the area below you over carefully.

(Pick a square or squares on the grid to indicate natural phenomena, and choose one of the following, or make up your own! You can also use generic terms: "North, South, East, West, Center" if you'd like.)
Hills, Forests, Lake, Mountains, Swamps, Grasslands, Cliffs, Ocean, Desert, Icelands, River, Caves, etc.
jess d
Dragon

Post by jess d »

C6, swamps >.>
Unyko
Dragon

Post by Unyko »

B8, lake! :D

(And rivers can flow parallel to mountains, so long as the opposite side of their banks is also somewhat raised. Water flows downhill, but it does so at the lowest point of whatever ravine it can find or carve out for itself. :3 *salute* *scamper off to work*)
Image... Image ... Image

Post by JKatkina »

Southwest, ocean!
Image Image Image Image
Kitsuneko
Ancient Dragon

Post by Kitsuneko »

A4, Plains
jess d
Dragon

Post by jess d »

Hmmm, this sounds like a very wet region XD
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

((I've got an image drawn up but haven't had time to animate it yet! It's coming! Sorry for the wait!

And yeah, re the mountain/river thing, I was imagining that there's probably more mountains on the other side of it hemming it in.

This region will hopefully be a fun one to explore one day. >:D))

eta: actually, while I'm working on this, now's a good time to ask you guys to start thinking about a colonization party! Once the five regions are mapped out, colonization pamphlets will be sent throughout the Nexus. Each player can bring up to five dragons (whether they're bonded or not) and up to ten human/humanoids/intelligent bonding fodder (both bonded and not, in case you would like to keep a candidate pool on hand!)

The colonists will be screened to keep out any parasitic and/or Nexus-dangerous species like xenodragons or balespawn (though that's not to say that you can't slip one in... it will just probably be a point for contention, later!)

We'll eventually be deciding how the location will be governed -- if you want to bring in a would-be tyrant, you can try to have a take-over; if you'd like to bring in a would-be Weyr woman, you can try to debate first-flight rights, etc!

We'll also eventually be deciding how the home base will be built! I'm going to be setting up a build-grist cache and price different kinds of settlement styles: Weyr-tunnel based, above-ground, basic prefab vs. natural, local resources, etc. Each player can vote on what they like best after we've decided what we like the most... from there, each player will be able to divvy up the remainder of the cache to spend on their individual characters.

Lastly, I'll be working on making tiny sprites for your leaders or other characters of import (or I'll make a template and you can pixel-art cover them!) :3 They'll be about 50x50 px tall and you can use them to manipulate the map even if I don't have the technology to allow you to move them around by yourself...

so that's what's on the docket!
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

Torrential rains gust about you as you survey the land below. To the north, the edge of a huge set of plains drops down into a muggy, swampy jungle, filled with water bodies large and small. These all drain away through a dense delta into the ocean to the south and east. It appears that you've teleported into the middle of a rainy season's thunder storm: the crashing waves of a rising tide coupled with the calls of the wildlife below are causing quite a stir!

You think that you'd probably better get out of here...

You still have three more locations to scout before returning with information on where to settle!

For the sake of celerity, Please list general conditions for the next three locations. Either choose from the list below, or make up your own!
Choose x3
Kitsuneko
Ancient Dragon

Post by Kitsuneko »

1. Let's have something dry this time. :)

2. Dark

3. Noisy
jess d
Dragon

Post by jess d »

1 - Windy

2 - Silent

3 - Hot

Also, I love the survey map for this region! Looks awesome :)
Unyko
Dragon

Post by Unyko »

1 - Sunny

2 - Chilly

3 - Humid
Image... Image ... Image