Amphibian Dragons from Shard

Giveaways or draws, contests or freebies, this is where to go for critters being given out in a non-clutch format.

Moderators: Mystic Dragon, Xalia, Shard

Shard
Great Wyrm

Amphibian Dragons from Shard

Post by Shard »

Okey! Since I had to sit around in court a few days ago I got a lot of drawing done in the waiting area. (public service for me, I can't pay fines from not having insurance ;) )

My amphibian would love to have froggy colors. Or, whatever colors you'd like it to have!

So if you'd like a Kshaufroggie, just tell me some colors you would like, and/or a pattern linked to a real frog/animal. Images help.
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

^^ Oohh, shard-artses.

Randomize me? Something bright and colorful, I think ^^
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

Sorry for the lateness, I've been distracted. ^^;

Could I snag something that's mostly black but with bright markings?
Kitsuneko
Ancient Dragon

Post by Kitsuneko »

I'll take one! In dark-to-light yellow as seen here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Litoria_tyleri.jpg
Darkling Dawn: Fauna Frenzy Open to candidates; flights open to males/females; rukel eggs/breedings available.
Drockh-Tallahn Castle: 3 eggs, 2 available. Females and males needed.
Sgiath Wolfkeep: 7 pups available
Sedona Weyr: 12 eggs, Deadline March 8. Chasers and a female needed.
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

Sorry for not responding :D

I'll get started on these shortly :D
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
Xenoqueen
Great Wyrm

Post by Xenoqueen »

Count me similarly distracted! Shardragons are spiffy. I'd love to nab one inspired by the strawberry dart frog. :D http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/s ... /view.html
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

Okay.... I don't really have any specific info on these guys but I sure do love em. :)

** They are amphibious - their life cycle starts in the water, where females and males come together generally in groups, fertilizing willy nilly. Good going, willy!

** Eggs are tended by volunteers, generally younger adults or very old ones.

** At hatching, the very soft and somewhat small (ostrich-egg) eggs open to reveal something akin to those fancy schmancy newts with the tendril gills. They will spend a few years in this stage, slowly losing the frilly bits of their skin. As they grow in size, reaching around 30 feet long total as adults, they lose more and more of their 'membranes' including the webbing between their toes which becomes more or less useless if they spend time above ground, though if they remain in and near water much of their lives, or if they have the parentage for it, they might keep the webbing.

** They can live up to 70 or 80 years.

** EDITED TO ADD** If they are cross bred with another dragon species, the eggs will still be softer than normal. Preferred non-type are sea-going, amphibian, wingless, ground burrowers, etc; and cold-blooded dragons (rather than warm blooded/fur bearing, they prefer hided/scaled).

** They are almost always found near fresh water or lightly mixed sea, and do not do well in polluted areas.

** They are reasonably intelligent, but would do very well with a strong-willed bond to tell them what to do, or override their instincts. They aren't going to be winning any chess contests. However, they are excellent at sports... They are intensely social, and only the biggest, oldest ones seem territorial, and even then, those are the ones often tending the offspring pools, which is a good thing.

** Those legs allow them to leap improbably great distances. Since they have no wings, they're going to be found in the water, on the ground, and in trees near water. Their tail, while not truly prehensile, does act as a good rudder and for balance while in trees, and to a small extent can be used as an extra limb to grasp large things. (they could hold something with their tail, and manipulate it with their hands.)

** They don't have magic, or much in the way of psionics. However they communicate over great distances using their prodigious voices. Their lungs, when finally developed, can almost cause damage when they 'croak'. Their throat has a large extending sack -in both males and females- which can be used not only to hold unruly food items, but be used very similarly to a bagpipe's bag. Their songs during breeding seasons are not to be missed! They don't have "lyrics" but I'm sure the BudWeisEr song is on their list... ;)

** Their coloration indicates their toxicity. The brighter they are, the more dangerous they taste. Think about this: they, like the Xenos, are toxic *because something hunted/hunts them*... However, that's only if actually eaten - at most, someone could be harmed by a cut on their skin or something, though I wouldn't recommend licking them. o.o Probably, if you want to, choose from among the toxicity/edibility features of my easterxenos... ;)

** They eat anything they can fit their very wide mouths around. They have wide, sticky tongues, and like frogs can catch things in mid-air. On their world, (which I haven't determined and might just wind up being nowhere, it's not important) they tend to feast on huge insects, but anything like fish, birds, small mammals and other edibles is fair game. They do tend to try for things that don't sting back, or have lots of bony protrusions, as that fouls their digestive system a bit. >_> they vent at high velocity.

** So much for me not knowing much about them. :)

** They don't have naming conventions, and likely without a bond they have no names anyway, so if you have one with a bond feel free to name it whatever you like. If they don't get a bond, don't expect them to learn a name.

I think that about covers it.

Now on with the show.

Starfyre!

You wanted bright. :)

Dray!

I lub this one, the fracturing of the colors I think turned out pretty well.

Kitsuneko!

I loved how the textures on this one came out. I didn't soften the final result, I think it looks best this way.

and Phe!

So. Bright.

Link back to http://www.droppin-the-fork.com/dragonsites/ for the time being. Some day I might put an index in there. More than likely that won't be for a while. :)
Last edited by Shard on Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

Oooh, awesome! I love the subtle markings on the black parts of mine! Thanks so much! :D
Xenoqueen
Great Wyrm

Post by Xenoqueen »

Geeee~! That texturing is cool! X3 Thank you!
aireona93
Dragon

Post by aireona93 »

*Pokes head in*

May I request one? :D

If I can, I'd love to see these colors: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Dendr ... s.7037.jpg
~åi®¥

Image ImageImage
Shard
Great Wyrm

Re: Amphibian Dragons from Shard

Post by Shard »

(cough) updating this, you can link to the kshau-protectorate.com/dragonsites if you wish :D
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
Trix
Egg

Post by Trix »

I somehow missed this. If you still want to make some, Can I get a bright green treefog-coloured one :D
.-~°*°~-.,.-~°*°~-.,.-~°*°~-.,.-~°*°~-.,.-~°*°~-.,.-~°*°~-.,.-~°*°~-.,.-~°*°~-.,.-~°*°~-.,.-~°*°~-.,.-~°*°~-.
https://www.lantessama.com" (buttons to all my adoption places and a link to all my adoptees and candidates
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

(Gotcha, and will be working on that :D )
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com