January Dragon Species Gather!

Giveaways or draws, contests or freebies, this is where to go for critters being given out in a non-clutch format.

Moderators: Mystic Dragon, Xalia, Shard

Pick a January Theme!

Animals: Amphibians
60%
Elements
10%
Nature: Natural Disasters
20%
Image Inspiration - see below for details
10%

Total votes: 10

Dray
Dracolich

January Dragon Species Gather!

Post by Dray »

Welcome to this month's dragon draw and giveaway. If you've been around for 2009, this is roughly the same giveaway as Unyko was running for several months, though there are a few twists here and there!

Everyone:
Whether you plan on participating or not, if you want a dragon from any of the giveaways, you sign the form that will go up in this thread. Artists can include examples of their creations, and participants can ask for specific colours, number of critters, and make more specific requests if they want; at the end of the cycle, I will be posting up a giveaway thread from which you can pickup your dragons -- sort of like the Winter Gather!

Participants:
There are two ways in which you may participate. The first is to create a template (or limited run of uniques, if you'd rather not make a template) for the giveaway. This can be a random dragon, a breeding, etc... Whatever you deem appropriate. The specifics of the dragon are completely in your hands. For this month's theme, please see the info listed below for ideas, or you may do your own research.

The second way is to write a story around the theme. This can be a place for the giveaway dragons to live, a character learning about the subject in question, or whatever, so long as it is also inspired by the monthly theme.
Participants do get perks, however. I would suggest that anyone doing a limited run of dragons (as in, not enough for everyone, whatever reason you have; a breeding, or a handful of uniques) hold off on their giveaway until the end of the month, when you know who is definitely participating (unless you don't really care who's participating or not, in which case.. *shrug!* it's up to you!). Participants will usually have a better chance of getting one of those few dragons.

Lastly, while we're hoping to run this Gather-style (you draw the new species and make up info for it, then mail them in to me to be given out at the end of the month) if you would rather give the dragons out yourself, please feel free to do so!

Non-Participants:
If you're not planning on participating, you need not worry about any of the above. Simply fill out the forms and wait for the giveaways. However, as I said in the participant section, you'll likely have a better chance of getting in on limited run or more rare dragons if you're a participant.

January's Themes (Vote on one in the poll section above!)

Animals: Amphibians
Fairly straightforward theme, though whether these dragons are based on a particular amphibian (like poison arrow frogs, or mudpuppies), a group as a whole (frogs, salamanders) or just amphibians in general (sea-and-land, gills or not, moist critters), is entirely up to you.

Elements
This theme covers the four classic elements, as well as things like spirit, metal, wood, light, dark, time, etc... Pick one, or all, and use it/them as inspiration for your dragon(s). :D

Nature: Natural Disasters
From drought and frost to tornadoes and volcanic eruptions, pick one or several as a basis for your dragon image!

Image Inspiration
Use the following image as inspiration for your dragon; whether they would have originated/been born from this place, be drawn to it, have caused it through some ability, or otherwise have some link, is up to you.

Calender of Events
Voting ends in 7 days, on January 10th!
January 11th through to January 31st: The winner has been resolved and you may start drawing your dragons!
January 31st through to February 7th: Either set up your giveaway thread, or send in your images to dracothrope@gmail.com for the mass giveaway!
-Forms for artists will be set up in this thread to include information to go with the dragons, if necessary.
-Forms for participants and non-participants will be set up in this thread to request dragons from the mass giveaway.
February 8th through to February 15th: Giveaway time! We'll also set up the next voting round!
Last edited by Dray on Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:23 am, edited 6 times in total.
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

Two more days until the poll is closed, but it looks like we have a pretty clear-cut winner, this time around! :P
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

Alright, so the winner is 'Amphibians!' You have until January 31st to draw your dragon/dragons! 'Natural Disasters' will be shuffled into next month's poll, and the other two will disappear into the pot to reappear another day.

Have fun! ^_^
Starburst
Ancient Dragon

Post by Starburst »

Totally already drew mine. XD

At first I had zero inspiration for amphibians but then... I did. And I'm proud of the result. Can't wait to see everyone else's!
Molly
Meridian Weyr | Caer Nova | Perigee Castle | Starfall Dragonry
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

Awesome! I just got my idea; haven't finished it up yet, but I'm excited to see yours! :D
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

Heya, folks! This month's challenge is due on the 31st, which is five days from now! Originals, breedings, recolourings and one-offs are all welcome -- the goal is to get new drawings done, but since the Nexus is so cricket-chirpy, I'm guessing everyone is pretty busy. Therefore, if you want to do some re-colourings (with or without new backstories for the critters) please feel free to do so.
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

Hehehe. Chirrup. Chirrup.

Chirrup.

*grins, goes off to see if she can get any comp to connect to the scanner*
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

I'm having such success with SAI that I may never draw on paper again for this sort of stuff. Wheee!
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

Also, because I just finished, have a sneak peek!

Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

ooooh! So pretty!

I have been dealing with real life things and haven't started my work yet... >_> we'll see what happens.
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

I'm really old fashioned =P I lovesies my pencil and paper... except when I don't (ala the thunderbird/scaleydragon image, where I've basically been redrawing it from scratch in Photoshop)

*makes grabbyhands at the Dray outline* It's even better cause I have an idea of what that fully looks like! <3<3

EDIT: 5 hours of typing my made up language later, I am incapable of typing english words. Hee.
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

If you can't make it to this month's for drawing, you can still snag some critters (depending on how many come in, I s'pose! X3) Next month, or the one after that will be around, too!
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

I'd like to get an idea of how many people are signing up to get adoptables this month, so I am going to open the claiming form a couple of days early! Participants who are drawing: you still have until the 31st (this Monday!) to finish your images!

Claims Form
Your Name:
Participating?: (Are you submitting dragons/making your own giveaway thread?)
-If you're participating, do you mind if you get one of your own images back in the shuffle?:
Max # of creatures you'd like?: (You can include 'any' if you don't want a max)
Favorite Colours:
Least Favorite Colours:
Repeats?: (If there are more dragons of a type than adopters, do you mind taking two of one type?)
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

Meeooww ^^

Your Name: Starfyre
Participating?: submitting
-If you're participating, do you mind if you get one of your own images back in the shuffle?: don't mind
Max # of creatures you'd like?: any
Favorite Colours: dark colors
Least Favorite Colours: pastels
Repeats?: sure
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

Might as well add my own name! ^_^

Your Name: Dray
Participating?: Yup
-If you're participating, do you mind if you get one of your own images back in the shuffle?: That's fine!
Max # of creatures you'd like?: Any
Favorite Colours: Anything Brown/Gold/Blue/White; Red/Black/White, Blue/Achromatics
Least Favorite Colours: Neons/saturated colours
Repeats?: Sure
Kitsuneko
Ancient Dragon

Post by Kitsuneko »

Claims Form
Your Name: Kitsuneko
Participating?: I was intending to, but I'm not sure I'll get around to it by the deadline. School's a killer this year. >.<
-If you're participating, do you mind if you get one of your own images back in the shuffle?: If I manage it, sure!
Max # of creatures you'd like?: Any
Favorite Colours: Blue, Black, white, red
Least Favorite Colours: Don't care
Repeats?: That's fine
Darkling Dawn: Fauna Frenzy Open to candidates; flights open to males/females; rukel eggs/breedings available.
Drockh-Tallahn Castle: 3 eggs, 2 available. Females and males needed.
Sgiath Wolfkeep: 7 pups available
Sedona Weyr: 12 eggs, Deadline March 8. Chasers and a female needed.
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

Thankfully I do have a drawing done, now I just need to decide whether to run it with a set number of images, or what. :)

Your Name: Shard
Participating?: Yes
-If you're participating, do you mind if you get one of your own images back in the shuffle?: I don't mind!
Max # of creatures you'd like?: maybe one of each if it's possible
Favorite Colours: for this one, bright blue, bright green (dark, not pale), yellow, black
Least Favorite Colours: pinks
Repeats?: I wouldn't mind
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
Xenoqueen
Great Wyrm

Post by Xenoqueen »

Oh what the heck.

Your Name: Phoenix
Participating?: no ^^;
Favorite Colours: black, red, any bold/bright color
Least Favorite Colours: pastels, dull colors
Repeats?: don't mind
Unyko
Dragon

Post by Unyko »

Oh, crepes on a crumpet. *still working on image* D:

Your Name: Uny
Participating?: Trying to! If I don't finish by the end of the day, I'll edit and change this to a 'no'. :<
-If you're participating, do you mind if you get one of your own images back in the shuffle?: Uh, see above. XD;
Favorite Colours: blue, white, black, gray, red
Least Favorite Colours: yellow, pink
Repeats?: Wouldn't mind at all. ^.^
Image... Image ... Image

Post by aireona93 »

Your Name: Airy
Participating?: Couldn't!
-If you're participating, do you mind if you get one of your own images back in the shuffle?: N/A
Max # of creatures you'd like?: 2
Favorite Colours: Black, white (I know they aren't really colors... but nonetheless), blue, yellow
Least Favorite Colours: pink, orange
Repeats?: I'd prefer not, but I will appreciate whatever I get. :)
~åi®¥

Image ImageImage
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

Dragon Art To Be Sent to dracothrope@gmail.com

Please include as the subject title: "January Dragon Gather"

If you want to set up your own thread and give away your images yourself, please feel free to do so any time between January 31st and February 7th!

The Gather Images Form
Your Name:

(And for each dragon -- you can include more or less information if you want!)
Dragon Name:
Abilities:
Additional Notes:
Original Artist:

I will be compiling images and making a website very similar to the Winter Gather; the results should go up on January 7th!

On that note, I'm happy to host February's Draw&Gather thing, unless anyone else wants to take a turn at it! ^_^
Starburst
Ancient Dragon

Post by Starburst »

Hodamn, almost forgot about this. *colours furiously*

Your Name: Molly
Participating?: Yep.
-If you're participating, do you mind if you get one of your own images back in the shuffle?: Nope.
Max # of creatures you'd like?: Doesn't matter!
Favorite Colours: Purples and blues, but anything colourful works.
Least Favorite Colours: None in particular.
Repeats?: I like variety but I don't mind. ^^
Molly
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

Okay, so the giveaway starts tomorrow; we would also start another round, but since it seems like the Nexus is pretty dead right now, maybe we should hold off on that?

I dunno, what do you guys think?
aireona93
Dragon

Post by aireona93 »

I wanted to get in on this round, but just didn't have time. I'd like to try for the next round, so I'd be cool with going ahead with it. I can wait too though. :3
~åi®¥

Image ImageImage
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

Well, I've got my image and need to color the one request for it, but right now real life has pretty much blown anything I can do :(

Though I love getting stuff. And I'm still good at putting it up lol. Actual art and anything other than dealing with money issues and mom, and legal crap and ... ugh.

Tell reality to stuff it, please?
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

4 days, and I still have no internet outside of very VERY poor quality "provided by landlord" hotspot wireless. Mediacom needs to die in a fire >.< and get back to providing my frickin landline.

So, I can read the Nexus, but I can't upload anything, because my connection starts timing out if I try to push ANYTHING through it (hell, it takes 'bout 3 minutes to load the Nexus page to begin with, and 'bout 2 to load a pure text page. Sigh.)

Sigh.
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

Okay, I'll toss up some things to decide from for the next round; if it's quiet, it'll just be quiet. ^_^" I'll get the pickup pages set up for what I have, though!
Starburst
Ancient Dragon

Post by Starburst »

After an unexpected turn of events I lost my four-year-old laptop on Friday night. Poor thing just petered right out and died. I have my new one now, and i THINK I can squeak in under the wire and get some submissions in. I hope it isn't too late. If it is, I'd still like to receive some critters.
Molly
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

Sorry about missing the deadline, guys! I was pretty sick yesterday, and stayed in bed for most of the day. I'm a bit behind, too, but I'll have the pickups up by the end of the day; they shall be very quick to do. XD
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »