Breeding Project Idea w/ Genetics

Got an idea? Share it here!

Moderators: Mystic Dragon, Xalia, Shard

Unyko
Dragon

Post by Unyko »

*attempted creating a species that used genes to determine form/looks* *got bored with it* *impressed that anyone is going to even attempt gene-mapping dragons* *sits over here with some popcorn and watches* XD
Image... Image ... Image

Post by Dray »

BAH hhahaha, you think that this is boring? You should try the generators I use for the BWR. XD That's half the reason the clutches take so long: "Ugh, I have to go data-mining for parents/grandparents/greatgrandparents traits!" *twelve hours later* "DONE! LOOK THE GENERATOR WORKS! 8D" Not that I don't love it, but I think that perhaps it's the masochist in me who actually enjoys things like this. X3
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

See I don't find it boring, but given that I don't automatically use the same ideas as others for my genes, I stick with my ferilon genes as an example, I just know that the work involved in converting them would be overwhelming to me. And just now? Overwhelming is not my thing.

I jus' want pretty dragons. :)
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
JKatkina
Ancient Dragon

Post by JKatkina »

But this isn't really a... genetic code, guys. XD Its format is really misleading, I guess. It's a dominance code that refers back to specific species, not an actual trait code. I think you could apply this to the ferilons, Shard, without getting rid of or converting what you've already got. What this code is endeavoring to do is establish what parts of your species YOU want to show up more when your species is bred out to other Nexus species! :D

I promise, this thing has nothing to do with ACTUAL genetics and isn't nearly as complex. XD It just... looks the same.
Image Image Image Image
Yakima
Ancient Dragon

Post by Yakima »

JKatkina wrote:But this isn't really a... genetic code, guys. XD Its format is really misleading, I guess. It's a dominance code that refers back to specific species, not an actual trait code. I think you could apply this to the ferilons, Shard, without getting rid of or converting what you've already got. What this code is endeavoring to do is establish what parts of your species YOU want to show up more when your species is bred out to other Nexus species! :D

I promise, this thing has nothing to do with ACTUAL genetics and isn't nearly as complex. XD It just... looks the same.
Right. I'm not getting rid of all the work I did with my Anarian genetic codes for this one. Truthfully, I really wasn't expecting anybody to latch onto it but I remember JKat and Dray started an idea (Dray hijacked my thread here about it first though I know their was a thread started that explained it more but I can't find the darn thing) but the format it followed confused me. When/where/why I came up with this is beyond me.

It does follow the basic principle of genetics with the two genes and one from each parent. But even I wasn't too thrilled in my test and wanted to see if others had ideas. I really don't think, if we do the merging thing (Btv'ki'pn type thing), that really falls into a true genetic format but it would also allow traits to keep being passed on rather then being lost just because of new blood (of course, I do think eyes have a very complex code other then the B/b that I've seen. >.<)

Perhaps if I can run a clutch or two, things will make sense. I also changed the title of it from Nexus Generic Genetic Code (or whatever) to the Nexus Breeding Code to try to avoid the confusion. So their is no need to convert codes. I'm not going with mine but they can only be used for pure-bred dragons of that species. Should I breed an Ortari with a Tavrayn or a Pernese with an Alskyrian dragon, their codes can't be used anymore because they're different. This allows for, based on what is dominate traits for the breed, a bit more structure. No, not everyone has to use it because I know not everyone will want to go through the process of figuring out codes (and they're gonna get quite long for hybrids), and will take what they like best from a breed and mash them together but for some of us codes are addicting and fun. *points to self several times* *shrugs*

@Unyko: lol Well, think of it this way, Uny. For each of the traits listed, decide how dominate or recessive you want them to be. Either you want them to have a high chance of breeding out or a low chance to breed out into the next generation. And with the added dominance level Dray and JKat suggest you kinda rank it like 1-5 (or how many their are). 1 being the highest and 5 lowest. That's basically what we're doing. XD

@Dray: :P yeah, i think i used your generator format for my Treval Generation clutches...Yakima not doing that again but it does work very well. :D

--

I think for the fatality thing their should be a set number of high-levels that determine if the egg doesn't hatch otherwise we would never get any pretty babies. :P Perhaps anything over 25 or 50% would cause a dud egg (or still born for non egg-laying types).

*gets an idea* One tiny little code could be used, too, to determine if the dragons are compatible with each other TO breed. Right now, I was thinking of Phe's Abstract Destiny which is meant to let species breed even if they're not compatible (or for more then two parents or same-gender clutches. ;) ) Granted most of our dragons ARE compatible but it's a thought. Kinda like 'M' type can only breed naturally with other 'M' type while 'T' can only breed naturally with other 'T' types? *shrugs8 Don't want to put Dr. Schroder out of a job, now do we? lol It would be like a one letter code in the beginning or something.

Oh, and my idea for colors was lost while at work. Back to the drawing board. I hate work. I get good ideas and then they get sucked away. I think it's the grease....hmmm...
~ Weyrwoman Yakima of Isla Weyr

Isla Weyr: http://www.isla.mage-circle.com
Velare Isle: http://www.velare.mage-circle.com
Treval Dragonry: http://www.treval.mage-circle.com
Alair WolfKeep
The Last Oddessy: http://www.last-oddessy.mage-circle.com
Baskar Castle: http://www.baskar.mage-circle.com
World of Sentra: http://www.sentra.mage-circle.com
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

I don't think that it's something that people have to do, it's just an entertaining side project for people who want to make some of their decisions randomized.

I just realized what time it is, so I'll have to do an example tomorrow... but I'll try to put something up for the Merideti to give an example of how you might code something, just to make things concise and succinct and more easily understandable!