Dray, JKat, and others interested: Forum Based Fireborn?

Got an idea? Share it here!

Moderators: Mystic Dragon, Xalia, Shard

StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Dray, JKat, and others interested: Forum Based Fireborn?

Post by StarFyre »

So, after everyone left, Jess and I got to talking about other games we'd played, and for the second or third time today, Fireborn got brought up, along with the comment of "That was fun/I liked that system"

So I was wondering - what if, instead of trying to find a time when all of us are on (other than Monday nights) and hope that real life doesn't get in the way, we instead just do a forum-based, highly cinematic game down in the RP forum? Set up a flexible posting order, allow me to be as wordy as I love to be in my descriptions of these places, and just have fun?

I know Jess is interested in the setting that I've got prepared (It was supposed to be a oneshot run at a convention, but the convention never happened, so neither did the oneshot) And, oops Jess, I quoted the year wrong =P Because in the other game I ran, the 2008 Olympics in Beijing hadn't occurred yet.

Here's the basic rundown of the setting:
October 26th, 2007

Friday the 26th ended as quietly as an Autumn Friday in Southern Illinois ever did. That is to say, it was the weekend, and only the stodgiest of students weren't out partying. Indeed, in grand Carbondale tradition, the weekend had started yesterday for most fine folk, never mind that they still had classes on Friday. No one ever went to Friday classes except for tests, did they?

A few roving groups of students wandered through the dark, still evening, drunk or getting there, looking for the next house party or bar that hadn't yet thrown them out. Strangers stopped and chatted with one another, shouting insults, taunts, dares, and greetings. No one was excluded from the party excitement, especially with all the strange things that had been occurring around the world lately!

Chatter and rumor had been spreading lately, about some insane hocus-pocus that had been going on in London the past few days. Really, a person had to be living under a rock, as well as be deaf, dumb, and blind, to have not heard the rumors, so pervasive were they. Every news station continually played the various clips over and over again, speculation and theories ran rampant, ranging from "PHOTOSHOPPED!" to "OHGOD THE END OF DAYS HAS COME!"

The clips, all and all, weren't that long, and some of them were of terrible quality. The worst, and the oldest, was a short video taken with a camera phone, and showed a rather pixelated copper Viking ship hovering over the Thames, a chinese-looking woman standing at the rail and looking at the crowd and what looked to be a crow perched on the mast.

Better, by a bit, was a more recent video, taken by an amateur with fairly high quality gear. In that shot, a gigantic red dragon with golden horns and huge webbed wings sweeps through the sky, casually playing with some helicopters and warplanes that are firing upon him. A strange blob near the dragon's head soon catches the eye of the man recording the shot, and he zooms in as best he can, revealing... a young boy! Grinning and waving cheerily at the people in the choppers and planes, the boy is wearing white robes, and is strapped into a strange looking contraption that everyone is calling a 'dragon saddle'. It's clear that the fighters don't dare risk firing upon the dragon as ruthlessly as they could, and the red dragon casually knocks one of the choppers out of the air with his tail, then catches it before it crashes and sets it down. The video is usually cut right there, or right before there, but it does continue to show the entire battle in the sky, in which the dragon gets off entirely scot free and the choppers and planes are distinctly the worse for wear.

Even better is the news broadcast that rocked the world:

Reporter: "In an astonishing turn of events, it has been announced today that the boy and the dragon that have been seen over London recently--"

Image cuts to the video of the dragon and boy in the sky, reporter continues.

Reporter: "Are none other than King Arthur reborn and the Red of legend. We have a team currently on-site with this astonishing story. Over to you, Lance."

Lance, clearly in Trafalgar Square, not far from the fountain at its heart, is surrounded by hundreds of awestruck people. The background of the shot is dominated by the great Red. "Thank you. Today we witnesses one of the greatest miracles of our time, a visitation by the Lady of the Lake and the official declaration that King Arthur is reborn."

Image cuts to earlier, as the great Red majestically lands and kneels to allow the boy off, who walks forward to the fountain where another man is standing, speaking eloquently about King Arthur and his return as promised. Behind him, in the fountain, a vision of icy beauty is rising from the basin, her hair wild with ice and power, her skin a frosty blue, her eyes sharp. In her arms is a sword without a sheath, that she cradles like one would a child. Even through the video, it's clear that the blade is a great one, well forged and cared for.

"Step forward, young King," she proclaims softly, "Step forward and accept your destiny."

The boy does so, taking the hilt of the sword that she offers to him. As he does, first the man, then the dragon, then many of the audience bow down before him.

Image cuts back to Lance.

Lance, clearly trying to keep his awe in check: "As you can see, the proclamation was an astounding one, but who can argue when a real live dragon is standing right next to you, and a woman rises from the fountain... It's unbelievable, it truly is, but I must urge all of you watching to believe. The Once and Future King has finally returned as promised!"

Needless to say, discussion ran hot and fast all over the world concerning these strange videos and declarations, though London, at least, seemed to be taking the announcement as complete truth. The Parliament was in the process of arguing over who got to play regent for the boy-king, and the current Queen, Elizabeth, had made a declaration that she would be regent for the boy-king, stepping down from her place as Queen as her oath demanded.

All this happened only a week before, and very little else, not even the war or the recent Hollywood scandals, could make it into the news. Other strange things, such as a brief shot of a strange green light covering the Pyramid of Giza, or news that a rebellion was occurring in China to put the rightful Emperor back on his throne, were second-page news, and everything else more mundane was shoved back to nearly the sports pages.

It was into this atmosphere of excitement, speculation, and drunken glee that it happened...

Midnight, Saturday the 27th, 2007

It started small, a quiet little rumble that shook a few plates in the cabinets and maybe knocked some poorly balanced knickknacks over. People from the west coast or other seismically active areas got a chuckle out of their less-well-versed-in-earthquakes Central kin, who, if they noticed it at all, cried things along the lines of "THAT WAS AWESOME!" or "SWEEEEEET, ANOTHER EARTHQUAKE!" or did funny things like pretend to surf on the floor.

But even those accustomed to earthquakes were terrified when the real thing hit. Buildings shook, walls buckled, poorly built structures collapsed under the strain of the heaving, flexing ground. Off in the distance came the unearthly roar of mines caving in and pulling streets, buildings, cars, people.. everything down, like great hungry mouths of the earth.

It was over in minutes that felt like centuries, and the survivors stood, sat, or lay stunned and at a loss. Some people, knowing that no quake ever had just one shock wave, chivvied people into hurrying outside before the next one hit.

People closer to the center of the town, where the University was located, immediately got the second horrible shock of the night as soon as they looked to the sky. It started with the horrified shriek of a young woman, who pointed towards the University and could say nothing more coherent that "OHGOD! OHGOD! LOOK! OH MY GOD..!"

Puzzled, people glanced towards where she was pointing. For some, it took longer to note than others, but no matter how drunk they were, they couldn't ignore the cries of "THE TOWERS! THE TOWERS ARE GONE! OH MY GOD!!"

For the three 17-story dorm towers were indeed gone. Instead of dominating the relatively low skyline, there was nothing but some wisps of pale smoke and dust. Nearby, the smokestacks of the coal plant were also gone... and the great roar and harsh light of coal-fire painted the night an eerie red-gold, casting the light that had let the onlookers see that the towers were indeed gone.

It was then that the second shock hit, sending people to their knees amidst the cacophony of already damaged buildings topping to the ground, mixed with the screams of victims and the roar of fire and explosions from broken gas lines and downed power.

The night seemed to last forever, as shock after shock hit and sent the city to its knees once more. The last remaining mine shafts finally gave way just before dawn, collapsing with an angry roar and devouring more of the area.

When the sun rose, it was a glorious, beautiful Saturday morning, not too hot, not too cold... but it shone down on a scene of utter devastation. Very little was left of the city, and with no power, no easy path out, and little hope of rescue, the few remaining authorities were doing their best to keep order.

Some people, too stunned by the complete destruction, wandered aimlessly through the wreckage, pawing half-heartedly at a pile here, a pile there. Other people, bound and determined to do their best, had rolled up their sleeves and gone on one of several tasks -- searching for survivors, gathering supplies, or trying to keep the shocked people from injuring themselves. Here and there, a few people went rogue, looting for all they were worth just because they could, not because TVs and radios and expensive things were useful, but for the principle of the matter.

And still others, a rare, small few of the survivors, had the Mother of All Headaches. Not from drinking, though some of them may have been doing that the night before, but from sheer INFORMATION OVERLOAD.

Here and there they could be found, curled up in balls, clutching their heads and muttering about dragons and flying and Mythic Era and magic. Other voices clambered for attention in their minds, some more sane than others, but all saying the same basic things, and all knowing one thing:

We are Broodmates.
JKatkina
Ancient Dragon

Post by JKatkina »

If we do this next summer, I'm game! However, two evenings a week devoted to gaming/roleplaying is pushing the limits of what I can handle with this year's workloads -- which will probably start to show as the year goes on... so I would LOVE to play some Fireborn, but would have to wait for some time for it to be feasable.
Image Image Image Image
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

That's why the concept was to do it on the forum as a "post as you can" game.
JKatkina
Ancient Dragon

Post by JKatkina »

Oh jeez, that's what I get for replying to something during one of my 2:30am bouts of insomnia. XD Sorry. I didn't see the "instead of".

That said, I still am not sure I could commit to another roleplay, even a post-as-you-can forum one. I'd be untenably slow. I do have the feeling that as the year goes on, I might even start missing the monday roleplays, given that most fourth years in second semester hardly have time to sleep, much less internet....but we'll see, I guess.
Image Image Image Image
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

... That's okay 0.o Because I don't remember replying to you. *pokes brain* .. Er, at least it was coherent?

In any case, I'm not trying to guilt you into anything =P I'm very accustomed to how players get as the year goes on -- fury, I was a GM who tried to run every Saturday for the past two years, despite being in classes and running for other students who were in classes. Generally what ended up occurring was the game would 'break' somewhere around a week or two before finals, come back at the start of the next semester, then do the same thing at the end of that semester.

.. Hah. My last game actually ended midway through Spring semester, because I was quite literally falling apart about that point, being a 4th year on graduation track who couldn't get to class about half the time from headaches. Yeah. It was awesome.

Er, anyway =P we could always call a general pause around times that you start getting slammed, totally take all the expectation of you posting from your shoulders. I dunno. If you want to try, it's up to you =P *heaps weight of decision of JKat's shoulders*
DragonFlight
Dragon

Post by DragonFlight »

I'd love an excuse to play in a game instead of DMing/STing one of my own. It's nice to be a player sometimes. And Fireborn definitely interested me. :)
Database Being Revamped

'Epic' is most concisely defined as something that, were you to do it in view of a person in real life, they'd pretty much have to sleep with you immediately to maintain order in the universe.
I sneezed. It seems to have reshaped reality. My bad.
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

I'd be interested, though you know how flaky I can be. Never the less I would make an effort not to leave people hanging for more than a day or two at a time!
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

Ooh, interest, momma likes interest. =P

DF: I'm actually the opposite, I like running better than playing in most cases, so I've never come across the "I wanna play!" desire in myself. Bit strange, but then again, I do like being in (relative) control of vast quantities of things, so... =P

Dray: Flaky I can deal with. Flaky I can definitely deal with. I've had such flaky players before that I couldn't even get them to respond when they were sitting right across from me and their chars were the center of attention.
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

Ha ha, sometimes I do that, though it's more that I can't think of something on the spot to reply with when I'm in person. Shouldn't be too bad when I'm on the forum.

Where should we start, if there's enough interest for this? Make up a character sheet?
DragonFlight
Dragon

Post by DragonFlight »

Oh, most of the time I like telling the story better....except I haven't had the opportunity to play in someone else's game in almost five years now. So I'm very much in the mood.
Database Being Revamped

'Epic' is most concisely defined as something that, were you to do it in view of a person in real life, they'd pretty much have to sleep with you immediately to maintain order in the universe.
I sneezed. It seems to have reshaped reality. My bad.
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

The people that go flaky on me usually weren't even paying attention to the game. Blaar. Anyway!

If y'all would like to do this, first step is, as always, creating characters.

As Carbondale is a college town, there's a handful of different "positions" your characters could be in:

College student: As the most obvious position, characters here would be between the ages of 18 and "Whatever, I'm a grad student, leave me alone". Depending on the degree-path, nationality can also range from native born locals, people from Illinois in general, people from Chicago, a rare few people coming from places all over the rest of the US, to Koreans, Japanese, Indians, and Chinese. Engineering (especially Computer and Electrical) and Computer Science are fairly heavy with non-native students coming from those places.

Local: Locals range from professors to people who've probably lived in Carbondale for their entire life, and likely their parents' entire lives as well. Most of these would be your average middle-class white folk, unless they're professors, at which point the distribution changes to match the distribution of college students. These would mostly be "full adults", unless they're local kids who decided to go to the local college (either SIUC or John A Logan, the local community college that's just outside of town).

Local Children: I'm not letting you play any child under the age of ten. End of discussion =P But I will let you play kids between the ages of 10-17 if you really want to.

Also! A few changes to builds. You are perfectly allowed to build from the Player's Handbook for background, dragon type, etc, but you can ALSO build from here ( http://fireborn.org/index.php/topic,100.0.html click on the links to any of the Backgrounds) for human background, and here ( http://fireborn.org/index.php/topic,104.0.html ) for major and minor dragon breeds. Here are addition fighting styles that can be used ( http://fireborn.org/index.php/topic,125.0.html ), and more powers/edges/legacies ( http://fireborn.org/index.php/topic,82.0.html ).

Mixing and matching between book and Fireborn.org is also allowed.

TRUE CHANGE TO BUILD!
Every character, no matter what age, background, or the like, will start with 10 heritage points and 10 humanity points to spend. You will have a "ghost hoard rank" of 1, which puts you at awakened rank 1 and all that entails as per normal rules. These points, however, come at a cost -- you gained them during the night, while your mind was effectively forced open and information shoved into it about who and what you really were. While you may have felt 'odd' or 'out of place' in your life previously, or strange things might have happened around you, you now know that you're dragons from the past, reborn into human shells. How you deal with such sudden knowledge is up to you, but you have it. You also have an active Group Mind connection with people you may or may not have met before in the past, and little control over it at present.

The true cost of all this: When you figure out whatever your karma pool is supposed to be, make note of that... and then divide it in half and write that down below your full pool size. Your forced awakening has temporarily harmed your ability to draw upon karma, and your maximum pool size is thus reduced by half.

Also, the earthquake has, for the most part, taken much of your stuff with it. I will assume that all characters have cell phones on hand (this is an American college town, after all), though at this point, with the power out and most cell towers knocked over, they're not much use. You can spend 'money' during character build to have a satellite phone, but please keep those sort of choices 'in character', and not just a player-made decision to have a way to communicate with the outside world.

Any questions about building characters, about the town itself, etc, feel free to ask.
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

Group Mind: Facebook that you can never leave.

D:

Ha ha, awesome! I think it may take me a while to build the character, as I haven't read over the rules for aaaaages, but I'm looking forward to this! If I have questions can I ask 'em here?
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

Yep. Here, in chat, anywhere you'd like, really.

Also: Group Mind is my original introduction to THAT SONG over an unblockable channel. So, blame my old group of players for what Rohe did =P
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

I am scarily wondering if I should remake another Sanger as a professor here... :)
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

I'll be terrified, but run with it =P

Who I really feel sorry for would be the other PCs... after all, they'd have Group Mind with the man =P
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

Well, with a version. :) In his unadulterated form, Istvan is actually a nice guy. He wanted to be a track star when he grew up, and would have been able to compete in the Olympics he was that good. But... interventions by his nemesis took him down a radically different path.

But yeah I really should. I totally love playing any version of him, exploring different ways to use the same essential template. Which PH version is this? Since I have a couple different ones, but not very recent (no 4th in other words, and I think I don't have 3.5, but I may have 3... not positive). I'll check out the links.

He'd definitely be an instructor of some level, either a track coach and/or a sciencey type.
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

Fireborn's actually a completely different system than D&D. Made by Fantasy Flight Games, a division of Blizzard, it's a d6 based system technically set in modern day London. Until the GM decides to screw with another area.

The "Base" premise is that, millenia ago, there was another era called the Mythic Era, in which magic existed, the Atlanteans were a force to be reckoned with, Egypt (known as Keheb back then) was ruled by an Immortal Man, the Elven courts, Summer and Winter, inhabited what is now northern europe, England, and all those areas, and dragons flew through the sky (along with a lot of other mythical critters like Titans, who were/are the greatest enemies of Dragons, due to some no longer remembered disagreement between the two races). There's even cat-people.

Dragons and every other race that wasn't human-based used magic (known as "Karma" in this system) instinctively. Eventually, a few dragons started teaching magic to humans... and something started happening. Now called 'taint', due to its effects on any creature based in magic, a darkness started spreading across the world, and really evil, nasty versions of mythical creatures started appearing, or formerly kind creatures went ballistically evil. Things happened, people tried to remove taint from the world, and instead pulled the plug on both karma and taint. Everything that required karma to live either vanished or went into deep hibernation in karmic wells. Now, millennia later, on the Chinese New Year in 2001, all that was reversed, and karma flooded back in... in London. Things went downhill fast, people started finding that all those ancestral charms and spells that the knew worked, and, uh... others went power mad.

Of course, ICly, not many people know all this, though the rising incidence of "weird stuff" is getting harder to ignore. This, of course, culminates in the setting I'm running for this one in that a Mythic Era Dragon (who never died and was reborn) is flying around in London.

Somewhere in this disordered directory is the Player's book for Fireborn: http://www.silveredmagic.com/downloads/

The Gamemaster's book is currently corrupted, though I think the rar file has everything in an uncorrupted format, if you can open that. Lost Lore is a collection of mostly GM-specific things, though there are some corrections printed for the player's book in it too. Character sheets are _FB_Scion and _FB_Dragon. Scion is for the modern era, Dragon is for Mythic Era.
jess d
Dragon

Post by jess d »

*pouts* I can't find my books, and I wanted to start working on a character

Annoyingly, I just saw the books while hunting for other things, and now they don't seem to be where I thought they were!
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

Well cool because I loathe the D20 system ;)

Also, today I absolutely ruined my right middle finger, splitting the nail horizontally across via a quickly slamming car door. So I'm glad I finished kotor this morning, but I don't even want to touch my mouse, and typing with a major missing digit is hard. ugh.
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

Owie, Shard! Feel better!

StarFyre, I was amused by the prospect of this: can we make our dragon-characters into Nexus dragons? XDD I know, probably not at all, but hee hee.
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

Shard, ow >.< Get better soon! I hate injuries like that.

Dray, do you mean, use a Nexus dragon as the basis for the Mythic Era dragon in the game, or use the Mythic Era dragon character as dragon-dragons in our insanity that is dragon collection? =P The one thing you will realize reeeaalll quick about the Mythic Era dragons is that they're nigh Godlike. In fact, lots of them posed as gods to varying civilizations throughout the Mythic Era.

I don't have a problem with you taking the dragon you create for the Mythic Era and importing it into the Nexus, so long as you don't have a problem with the insane power gap that will show up between our normal species and the Mythic Era Dragons.

For one, they never die. Never. (Barring two exceptions, one of which I created myself for the other Fireborn game I ran. But even still, those two exceptions are incredibly rare.) When a ME Dragon is 'slain', their corpse disintegrates and they're 'out of the action' for an unknown period of time -- they spontaneously regen as a 'bestial' form of themselves at another location and take between 5 to 50 years or so to remember who they are and what their skills are. At which point.. Back in action, baby!

They have a Brood, always, though whether or not they play nice with that Brood is completely up to them. Some Broods stick together like BFFs, some go their own way and only show up to help one another at times of trouble, others... well.. others would prefer their Broodmates to die. Horribly. In a fire.

Another thing is that, by the lore, while ME Dragons have genders and do play hookie with humans, elves, whatever interests them (and occasionally have children by those people too), they are effectively 'neuter' while with their own group. No one knows what the frick created Dragons, but they don't hatch from eggs, don't have clutches, etc. Of course, that might change if you introduce an ME Dragon to Nexiian dragons, who actually do the nasty =P As stated, it's not because they can't, but because, well... they don't o.o;; Dragons exist, have always existed, and when they die, they spontaneously regenerate out of the ether. Why would we create more?

=P If, after you've created your ME Dragon, and you're still cool with unleashing that on the Nexus, you can do so. If you want me to draw an image for it, I will, so long as you give me a good description ^^;;