Also Wedding and Honeymoon

Going to be gone for a long time? Just got back from a trip? Keep us in the know here!

Moderators: Mystic Dragon, Xalia, Shard

JKatkina
Ancient Dragon

Also Wedding and Honeymoon

Post by JKatkina »

I should have posted this a couple days ago before we actually left, Dray and I will be on and off out of contact for the next couple of weeks! My brother's getting married, and the whole shindig is out on one of the Gulf Islands in BC. It's gorgeous, and busy, and we're spit-roasing a lamb, and the internet is dubious at best. The wedding itself actually happens this weekend, but after that we're babysitting my brother and new sister-in-law's dog over their honeymoon, so we're staying out here for an extra week and a half (BEST babysitting job EVER).

We're going to be earning our vegetables, too, which is pretty cool! A super-duper awesome hippie lady a mile or two down the road says she'll put us to work and send us home with veggies, which is just keen, because everything on this island is expensive and even more so if you want organic from the stores. Can you tell I'm ecstatic to be out here? lol

I'll be popping on now and then to check on candidate submissions (deadline is the 1st of September now -- really, if you can get it in before Dray and I go back to Calgary I'll be just peachy) and check for questions and such. It just may take me a couple days to get back to anyone! Lazy island life takes precedence! ;)
Image Image Image Image
Starburst
Ancient Dragon

Post by Starburst »

...I swear I knew this, but you and Dray live in Calgary? :O that's pretty insane considering I live here too. and the smoke in the air from the forest fires in BC is making me really sick.

Anyway, have fun. I envy your lazy island life. XD
Molly
Meridian Weyr | Caer Nova | Perigee Castle | Starfall Dragonry
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

Hahah veggies from a hippie farm :D It all sounds like tremendous fun, enjoy!!
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

Sure those veggies aren't laced with something that's making you ecstatic? =P But seriously, have fun out there, you two! I envy you the island adventure.

(After looking up Calgary, for I am an ignerant-Americaaaan... yeah, I totally envy you those temperatures, as well. =P )
JKatkina
Ancient Dragon

Post by JKatkina »

Starburst wrote:...I swear I knew this, but you and Dray live in Calgary? :O that's pretty insane considering I live here too. and the smoke in the air from the forest fires in BC is making me really sick.
:O I didn't know this! Actually, Dray and I moved to Calgary five-ish years ago to go to ACAD. We're originally Edmontonians...well, I am, and TL almost is, she was out in the 'burbs. Man, we should get coffee sometime!

StarFyre, we pay for the nice summers in winter. It gets fierce! But yeah, you should totally come here, and warm up after that ridiculous chilly weather!

Also, bahaha, wacky tomaters indeed. I kinda wish; that would be hilarious to see my whole family getting so very... happy.
Image Image Image Image
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

Illinois (at least the part of it that I'm from, not where I am currently) gets some stupid-fierce winters as well. Not much in the way of blizzards (usually), but ice storms? Yeah. We got those plenty, and because of where we were...

c.c I usually joke about it these days (especially to people like Nessie, who are from areas that don't get much in the way of snow), but it's really not much of an exaggeration for me to say "We never got off of school, unless it was six/seven feet of alternating snow and ice, with gale force winds... and if the winds didn't cooperate, we still had school." >.> Course, now I'm in an area that maybe gets a foot of snow that sticks around for a day. =P And still no snow days.

On the other hand, I could totally go for visiting you guys some summer to escape the 90F+ with 90%+ humidity weather here in S. Illinois. Maybe I'll flee to north next summer =P
JKatkina
Ancient Dragon

Post by JKatkina »

Hahaha, go north young Nexiian! Actually, that'd be pretty cool. Your winters sound as bad as ours... well, okay, don't tell any other Calgarian I said this, but they sound a little worse than Calgary's. At least we have chinooks, I guess.

And we have a couch to crash on! Should you ever pass this way.
Image Image Image Image
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

Yeah, in the area of Illinois that I grew up in, once the snow came down, that was it. Maybe we'd have some nice days where the snow would melt a bit, but all that'd do would add another layer of ice to contend with.

I really wish I had pictures of it, but a couple years back there was an ice storm so bad that it destroyed perfectly healthy trees, and sent a branch that was about six inches thick (with about two inches of ice coating it) spearing down through the windshield of one of my parents' cars. Totally smashed the windshield, then came crashing down on the rear end of another car they owned that was parked next to it and put a nasty dent in the metal. I totally love the aftermath of ice storms (so pretty!), but geeeeh. I will never, never drive through one again if I can help it.

And mm, couch... Y'know, maybe when Joe's out on a long research trip next summer (he had several this summer, so I don't see next summer being any different) I'll come visit. Fury knows I've wanted to meet more Nexiians in person.
Yakima
Ancient Dragon

Post by Yakima »

And I live between you and Star in Minnesota (well, sorta, in a round-about-way :P)! Mwahaaha! Our winters can get bad. Or we just have no snow at all. Minnesota is weird. We've had a few Christmas' with no snow - and a few Halloweens/Thanksgivings with snow.

I wish I could travel to see some people. I think the only one I could go see is Ty because I believe she's in the twin cities. :P Now, if I knew where she was I would go find her and say hi but...er...cities are confusing unless I know exsactly where I'm going and have a map/GPS. :( So no surprising Ty, I guess. Heh
~ Weyrwoman Yakima of Isla Weyr

Isla Weyr: http://www.isla.mage-circle.com
Velare Isle: http://www.velare.mage-circle.com
Treval Dragonry: http://www.treval.mage-circle.com
Alair WolfKeep
The Last Oddessy: http://www.last-oddessy.mage-circle.com
Baskar Castle: http://www.baskar.mage-circle.com
World of Sentra: http://www.sentra.mage-circle.com
TyGryph
Dragon

Post by TyGryph »

I was easier to find when Quachir and I both lived in St. Cloud...

but if anybody's visiting MN, I can totally meet you at the Mall of America without trying too hard.