Supernal Clutch!

For all your update needs.

Moderators: Mystic Dragon, Xalia, Shard

Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

Hmm, yep, looks like there are a couple of spots left open. :) So long as you follow the rules, reposted below, I still have the template so I'd be happy to make another. ^_^
Dray wrote:-Sponsors require a storybit.
-Sponsors must be 'good' aligned, or at least not 'evil'. Morally ambiguous characters are okay, but when push comes to shove they need to be the kind who will do the right thing and think of the greater good.
-One per person.
-No pure-white Supernals.
-Supernal colours will be based off of the parents to some extent (here and here respectively) but some colours will be loosely linked to your story in some way. Your character's appearance, personality, homeland, or OOC background may have some effect on the offspring. Colours will combine to create a specific unique ability for your dragon.
-First-come-first-served until the dragons run out!
-Dragons must be paged within one month of receiving 'em or I take them back.

When you have a story done, give me a link along with the character's name and I'll return with a dragon for you. No waiting for the entire clutch to fill!
delyar
Dragon

Post by delyar »

Woah these are awesome. Are there enough spots left for me to work something up as well? :D
Character Listing
Site Listing - Links to All Sites (Link back here if confused!)
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

There's about three spots total that are left! :3
Unyko
Dragon

Post by Unyko »

@.@ *determined to get candidate in this time, for reals!*
Image... Image ... Image

Post by Dray »

Ha ha, take your time. XD There's not a huge rush for them!
delyar
Dragon

Post by delyar »

I didn't realize how rusty my short story writing skills were! I miss how much the Nexus made me write.

Anyway, I decided to send you Charashien (or Char, why did I give everyone such. long. names) and his story is up at:
http://characters.lambeosaurine.com/kids/charashien/

I included a bit of a blurb about where he lives but let me know if you need more clarification.
Character Listing
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

DELYAR

When the little fiery dragon appeared over the forest canopy with Charashien on his back, the first thing that the pair noted was the muggy heat of the noon-day sun, and the breeze thick with the smell of ocean salt blowing in from the west. Looking down on the Nidus, they could easily tell which residents had chosen to make their own additions to the place: there was a patchwork of clearings down below, separated by various depths of tree-cover between them. There was a haphazardness to the construction below, and nothing appeared to be built with a thought towards human dimensions. Everything that they could spot below was huge. This looked like the right place, and no doubt about it.

There were other dragons in the air, some simply leaping into the air and flapping awkwardly just above the tree-line to get from place to place. Others were circling high above on updrafts, observing the lands below. A few specks marked dragons that were sweeping up and down the coast-line, hunting, or looking for a place to bask in the sun. One particular dragon was winging up to meet them; not a Supernal, but a brightly-coloured dragoness with pink wings, yellow and orange fur, and a mane of silver that seemed to glisten and crackle faintly. When she drew close enough, it became apparent that her silvery bits were actually afire, and the smell of faintly singed plastic wafted over to them when she circled upwind.

~Newcomers, welcome!~ she greeted, levelling out and gliding alongside them as they circled overhead. ~Are you the two that were to meet with the Supernals?~

We are, Runyath replied after a moment, given that the wind was strong enough to whip away Charashien's spoken words.

~Oh, excellent,~ the dragoness replied. ~I'm Lad'lhaky, by the way. It's so good of you to come. There have been a few... misunderstandings with the other humans who've shown up all by their lonesome.~ She grinned toothily Charashien's way, adding, ~I suppose you're bonded already, then?~

They didn't really have a chance to answer, as their guide folded all eight of her wings -- the four on her back, and the four near her tail-tip, and dove to one of the larger clearings. As she took to the earth, they could hear bells jingling -- and indeed, it looked like she had a few strapped to her tail. Summer, then, did not necessarily seem to be her preferred season.

Never the less, the pair more cautiously descended. As they did, Lad'lahky held her tail aloft and rang the bells upon it, and the two felt intense heat -- realized that, somehow, the dragoness was manipulating the light around them to form a spotlight. ~Announcing the presence of that human you were waiting on!~ she bugled, muzzle pointed towards a relatively low out-jutting of rock and earth. Her ears were perked forward, her wings held partly open as if she were intensely alert. The newcomers could tell that she was grinning, and not entirely kindly, either.

From the den came a burst of fire, swirling towards them with alarming speed. Lad'lahky yelped, dodged to one side, and bristled as the fiery creature -- a bird, it looked like, came back for a second pass. Runyath, with Char still mounted, was forced to hop back a few steps as Lad'lahky disappeared into a haze of steam, her form lost to the sound of roaring water. Even so, they felt weighted down for a moment by sea-water splashing out in a wall against them as the fiery bird came between the two parties, and super-heated steam exploded when the watery spell made contact with the creature.

Runyath was bowled backwards, very nearly crushing his rider to avoid being burned. When the water vapour had dispersed, Lad'lhaky was nowhere to be found, but a great patch of yellowed grass suggested that she had teleported away to avoid the same sort of burning. The bird was gone as well, but two fully mature Supernals were poised, bristling, atop their den. Just then they did not look so majestic; they looked angry, which lent them a predatory, almost feral look.

When they realized that the two who remained were to be their guests, they lowered their hackles... and that seemed to greatly reduce their size. Char realized that they were mostly mane and dazzling white feathers when they stood on the defensive like that. "Are you alright?" the grey and red one asked, the first to step down from the outcropping and to the mossy ground. Her tail whipped back and forth, still agitated by the presence of the brightly coloured dragoness.

Runyath, having recovered his feet, looked mildly put out... his skin was tender and blisters had formed where the steam had hit him full-force. Charashien seemed to have been shielded from the brunt of it both by his friend and by his riding gear, which was small comfort.

The Supernal came closer, nosing at the bipedal dragon to look over his wounds. Her mane fluffed up in disapproval, and after a moment, Runyath felt the stinging pain of the wound dissipating. In fact, it looked as though he was healing with great rapidity. "I'm sorry about that," the Supernal apologized. "The last few that we've had here, Lad'lhaky has run off with some cruel trick or other. I was worried that she was about to do the same to you."

Charashien had a moment to slip down from his friend's back, landing on soft ground, taking in his bearings. Now that there wasn't a wind whipping about them, he had a chance to speak. "She didn't have a chance to do anything too untoward," he assured, "she brought us here, after all, didn't she?" He pulled the riding-cap from his head, feeling a little less as though he had to worry about scruffy brown hair in the presence of creatures who seemed to be composed half of huge, fluffy manes.

The blue and silver Supernal, he noted, had stepped down from the outcropping as well, and five smaller heads were peeking out from around his feet. Four looked very similar to the parents he'd identified as Raminiel, the mother, and Dimasasehiel, the father, though the fourth was red and was capped by tiny flames that licked the air. Another sponsor, perhaps? Or a wayward adoptee?

Dimasasehiel looked the pair over with a regal, faintly disapproving air, "You two are bonded?" he asked.

"Not exactly. Runyath is simply a friend," Charashien replied. He had the feeling that bonding was something that not many of the dragons here approved of. Putting this out in the open might help to assuage any worries of human privilege that that might entail.

"Hmm," Dimasasehiel replied, not deigning to voice anything else about the matter. Instead, he settled himself on the ground, gesturing with one gold-clawed paw for the pair to come forward. "We were informed of your intended arrival beforehand, which is appreciated. Come, sit here," he indicated a well-worn patch of earth that seemed to be a gathering point for the family, "and tell us a little about yourself. We have food and drink if you prefer -- you're now our guest, which means that if the likes of that misguided cretin bother you again, you are under our protection."

"That's appreciated," Charashien replied diplomatically, doing as the Supernal asked and, quietly nodding for Runyath to do the same. The Esling settled himself as well, if somewhat reluctantly. He was not the sort to participate in sharing circles, preferring to keep to the outskirts if he could... but for Charashien's sake, it looked like joining in would be the most polite thing to do.

A few of the younger Supernals had followed their father tentatively out of the den. Settling themselves mostly opposite the newcomers, Charashien was treated to an array of colours that were mostly similar to the two adults. Again, the fiery-looking creature that looked so out of place amongst these furry, feathery dragons settled next to one of the older, more developed of the Supernal children. It seemed curious but withdrawn in the face of the newcomers, crossing its fire-covered wrists and wrapping its two fiery tails around itself. Strangely, it did not burn the ground beneath it, nor the Supernal that it leaned comfortably against. The black and red Supernal settled a wing somewhat protectively over the creature, ears perked forward to the human and Esling, though it and the other children remained silent until spoke to.

Introductions were made: Charashien was given a mouthful of Supernal names to remember, in turn offering his full name to them -- it seemed like a fair enough trade! Telling of his childhood, of the explosion of his people's original home and the building of SULA, he paused only when Dimasasehiel brought food -- thankfully human appropriate food -- and of all of the trials and tribulations that came with it. He spoke of the visit that was about to happen, finding himself willing to explain the otherwise tiring events to the Supernals, and was surprised as they each in turn piped up with their own suggestions. It was strange, he found, that the lot of them seemed so intrigued by politics. They were living in the middle of nowhere, after all, in a den made of dirt underground. How did they manage to seem so versed?

A Reddish young female with a warmly silver mane seemed the most intrigued. She was younger than her red and black sister, and a little more scraggly looking, but her mind was sharp and she listened carefully as Charashien told his tale. "Peace talks might seem as though they would provide a weak face," she finally admitted, "but they allow your people a foot in the door... you could always send some accomplished spies in with your official party to gather information.... right?" she glanced to her mother, who gave the faintest of nods. Encouraged thus, she continued, "and in the mean-time, as you discover their weakness, you could always use your diplomatic ties with the rest of the Nexus to find creatures who were willing to aid your cause. Like us, right?" She puffed up, looking a little proud of herself.

"Maybe not with such obviousness," Charashien had to admit, "but I think you might be on to something." He had to grin: she looked so pleased with herself that she might as well be preening.

The day drew on, and the newcomers found themselves put at ease by the family of Supernals, despite their rocky introduction. It turned out that the pair sitting across from them were lately connected. Zopatael, the red and black Supernal, was not so much the sponsoree of the fiery Gyujtoan, Koyziqme, as the guardian whilst the strange, fiery creature grew to learn the Supernal's ways. They both seemed a little wonder-struck (or perhaps wander-struck was a more appropriate term!) by Charashien's plan to wander with whichever Supernal would have him to meet other Nexus leaders. The three children each seemed curious, as well.. but once their tale-sharing had come to an end, it was the silver and red Supernal who approached him the first chance that she could. It was coming on night, now, and the group had broken up to take a break and allow the children -- and the newcomers -- some time to assess where they stood.

"I'd really, really, really like to come with you," she told him, glancing briefly from Runyath to the human. She was small enough that even with her long neck, she still had to look up at him. Her ears were half laid-back, her tail twitching nervously. "I mean, it all sounds fascinating, and I would love to see the rest of the Nexus! Koyziqme and mother tell such tales, and we haven't been further than Nidus Corona, and to go off world?" She fluffed up a little, unable to contain her excitement. "Please choose me!" she eventually begged, looking ridiculously hopeful.

Charashien had to grin at the youth, replying, "it might sound like a lot of fun now, but..."

"No, it does! I don't mind if it's boring!"

"It's not the boring so much as the difficult people," he advised.

The young dragoness -- Plenipoteniel was her name -- fluffed up, her scraggly silver hair looking rather ridiculous as it stood on end. "I can deal with difficult people! I live here, don't I?" she gestured with the sweep of her wing to the Nidus as a whole. From the sounds of it, the place was full of it's own characters... and with them all being dragons with powers to match a mage...

"I'll give it some thought," Charashien replied, not unkindly.

The youth deflated again, apparently guessing that he had meant that he'd already had his eye on one of the other two. That did not dissuade her, however. She bothered her again a little later as they sat around a crackling fire, as a few other Nidus dragons joined them for roast deer. The heat of the flames was enough that they had to sit well back -- there were a quartet of the creatures on to roast, after all! Plenipoteniel settled down next to Charashien in human form, her hair reflecting red flames as she crossed her arms over her chest. She looked like she was perhaps thirteen in this form, barely a teenager and still quite child-like. "If you choose me," she greeted, getting straight to business, "I'll help you deal with any old mages who come up to make your life trouble, and I'll listen to anything that happens around SULA, and go with you wherever you get sent to next. I'm smart, I won't screw anything up!"

The human looked the girl over, straight faced despite the urge he felt to laugh. She was very persistent! "So you'll tamper with all of my hard work, cause mischief around my parent's home, and make a bad reputation for me when we greet other Nexus leaders?" He felt that he could get away with teasing... Plenipoteniel merely threw her hands up, exasperation clear in her expression.

"Don't worry," he replied, highly amused by the ruffled stare she was casting his way. "You're the most clever one here, anyways. Of course you can come with us."

The young Supernal suppressed a squeal of excitement, covering her mouth over with both hands. Instead, she stood with a rigid back, extending a hand. She spoke with deadly seriousness when she replied, "shake on it, then."

And they did.

Name: Plenipoteniel Imabrosia
Species: Supernal
Colour: Red-Silver
Size: Medium
Shoulder Height: 14' (when not size-shifted)
Abilities: Breath Weapon (Lightning), Fire Immunity, Heal Others, Shapeshifting (Human, Lion), Size-Shifting, Teleportation, Verbal Speech,
Unique Ability: Fiery Double: Can create a double made entirely of fire; this can take the form of a Supernal, a bird, or with greater concentration, a smaller flock of similar-looking creatures.
Personality: Intelligent, Politically-inclined, Persistent
delyar
Dragon

Post by delyar »

Ahhhh. :D

I was grinning and giggling aloud to the point of my roommate asking me wtf I was reading. She's even more awesome than I expected! :D Thank youu.
Character Listing
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

So glad you like her. :3 I think that I'm making up for not writing Nexus stuff in ages with that behemoth. Glad it was fun to read, too. XD Hopefully they can get up to some trouble together, and I hope I didn't write your guys /too/ out of character. Char seems like he's a lot of fun... let me know if there are other stories with him in the works!
delyar
Dragon

Post by delyar »

They were pretty in character actually. :) I'm liking how Char is shaping up, plus it's fun to fastforward and write old characters as adults dealing with their own beligerent children.
Character Listing
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

I hear you on that. >:D I'm really enjoying reading about SULA. It mirrors Nidus Corona in a way, and I've been having a lot of fun writing about characters who are relocated and making do with the shenanigans that happen because of it. It's a lot of fun!
delyar
Dragon

Post by delyar »

I never thought I would actually enjoy writing about politics but it can be a lot of fun (if complicated like woah). It's also neat to just let characters separate and NOT get along instead of trying to shove them all together.
Character Listing
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

Agreed! It can be difficult to follow other's politics if they don't give a fairly clear backstory as to what's happening with the different characters... but when that IS given it's kind of interesting to see how things fall to pieces. Skipping forward and seeing the aftermath of such shenanigans is pretty fun, too.
delyar
Dragon

Post by delyar »

Absolutely. It also helps that I've been reading A Song of Ice and Fire, which does an excellent job of mixing fantasy and politics (but also makes me feel extremely juvenile in comparison). I'm glad I gave you enough backstory for it to make sense - I was really concerned it'd be a confusing mess!
Character Listing
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

There was a bit of confusion, mostly because I didn't really know all of the characters or the history -- I almost feel like in stories like this, having wiki-style links to the appropriate characters and events would not go amiss. XD It might look cheesy but it might also be helpful for those who are reading the stories.

A Song of Ice and Fire's been really popular, lately! I'm glad that you're enjoying it... it was a lot of fun to read (still haven't picked up Dance of Dragons yet, d'oh!) It really does help with the "holy hell, politics can be complicated," thing though, I agree. >:3
delyar
Dragon

Post by delyar »

I had to look up some of the characters myself so I'm not at all surprised. I tried to stick to the ones I mentioned in some BWR stories, but that's hardly helpful after how many years? I'm working on a database of all my characters, which will include brief bios and links to all the stories they appear in.

I finished ADWD a couple weeks ago. It was better than AFFC in my opinion. :) HUGE though, it's the only one I bought in hardcover and is heavier than one of my cats.
Character Listing
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

I'm so tempted to pick it up, though we're trying to pare down our belongings, so it might have to be a post-move treat.

I can hardly remember all of my own BWR dragon characters, if that helps to give you an idea of where my memory's at. XD It really has been too long.
delyar
Dragon

Post by delyar »

It's probably best not to add it to the list of things to move. That thing is like 5 lbs or so. HUGE.

And yeah no worries. I realized what I was doing about halfway through writing and was like "what the hell, Dray won't remember any of these guys anyway, what are you doing?". Nobody should be expected to remember other peoples' characters for more than about 3 months, I think.
Character Listing
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

To be fair, I'm hoping to keep going with that Nexus Offshoot thing, and in that case hopefully there will be cause for the characters that we bring to interact on a semi-regular basis... so hopefully there'll be a chance for people to remember one another's chars for longer!
delyar
Dragon

Post by delyar »

Hopping over to read the manifesto. :D
Character Listing
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

It's huge, I warn you!

I'm going to have something more concise up here shortly... I'm just working on some art to go with it to make it a little more fun and entertaining. XD *madly colours!*
Houka Ryuu
Hatchling

Post by Houka Ryuu »

Although I'm not really done yet with re-organizing and stuffs, I figured I might as well send you a link before I entirely forget about it. Here's Odd Kelavasdatter. Her story isn't overly long unlike my other personas. Hopefully, there's enough in there but let me know if I should add more to her history.
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

HOUKA RYUU
It had taken the dwarven girl some time to make her way to Nidus Silva, on foot and with her very strange appearance. Eventually she did arrive, however, as the sun cracked up over the eastern horizon. The forest floor where she arrived was still dark, almost cavernous... something that the young woman could appreciate, surely. The little dragon that had helped her to teleport here was away again almost as quickly, leaving the dwarf completely on her own.

She was uncertain of what to do, quite honestly. Lighting an orb to cast a path before her, she turned a slow circle. She saw a faint amount of early morning sunlight filtering through from the east and, noting that the rest of the forest was pitch black, decided to head in the one direction that might offer more clues.

Odd wandered her way into a large clearing, paused along the tree-line, blinked her green and purple eyes. Were those...? Could they be?

She spotted a pair of fluffy young dragonettes playing with one another, stretching in the cool morning air before tumbling together, wrestling and enjoying the day. Were these the Supernals that she had heard so much about? Odd stood at the edge of the woods, unsure what to do, as yet. Should she move forward and introduce herself... or wait for some sort of signal? She hadn't had a lot of experience with dragons, after all! She simply wasn't sure!

It looked as though she soon wouldn't have to decide: one of the two young dragons had spotted her glowing orb, and a moment later, the two came bounding over.

"Hi!" the elder of the two greeted, the younger of the two quickly echoing his brother. "What's your name?"

"Um, Odd," the girl replied. "I'm Odd."

"Odd?" The young Supernal scoffed. "That's your name?"

"Yes?" Odd replied, feeling a little sheepish. Yet another creature had stumbled across her and found her strange...

"Well, that's okay, I guess. My name is Tesquiel." The Supernal fluffed up, his purple mane looking even more like a koosh ball than it already had.

The younger of the two Supernals gave a squeek, eyes darting between the two of them. "Tesqui," he peeped, "she has the same eyes as your fur!"

Tesquiel looked shocked, but then, leaning up to peer into Odd's eyes, he had to admit that they were exactly the same. "It's true," he replied, voice in awe. "Why are you here?" he suddenly asked, voice officious.

"Uh... I had heard about Supernals," Odd answered honestly. She, too, was surprised by the coincidence. Could it be that there was some meaning there?

The youth looked absolutely smug. He was certain that that was the case. "Well then, you're made for me," he replied and, taking her hand gently between his teeth, he urged her into the clearing. "Come with me! Father and mother need to see it to believe it!"

Name: Tesquiel Imabrosia
Species: Supernal
Colour: Green-Purple
Size: Medium-Large
Shoulder Height: 16' (when not size-shifted)
Abilities: Breath Weapon (Lightning), Fire Immunity, Heal Others, Shapeshifting (Human, Lion), Size-Shifting, Teleportation, Verbal Speech,
Unique Ability: Stasis: Can create a stasis field that will preserve whatever is caught within it.
Personality: Demanding, Honourable, Leaderly

Hope that does okay for you! X3 I couldn't resist the mis-matched eyes shout-out.
Houka Ryuu
Hatchling

Post by Houka Ryuu »

He is wonderful. And I love how their colors match each other. :3 I'll get him paged soon.
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

If his colours were reversed, I just realized he'd totally have a Joker getup. O.O

Glad you like, though! No huge rush, just let me know if he winds up on a different page!
Houka Ryuu
Hatchling

Post by Houka Ryuu »

Well, Tesquiel is up. Here's the address:
http://personas.houka-ryuu.com/dragons/tesquiel.htm