Why yes, I am quite possibly insane

Got an idea? Share it here!

Moderators: Mystic Dragon, Xalia, Shard

Kitsuneko
Ancient Dragon

Why yes, I am quite possibly insane

Post by Kitsuneko »

So, I've been working the last couple days on a project. I kind of miss Pern, and since I have all kinds of purebreed Pernese dragons at Darkling Dawn just kind of sitting around, I decided to create a good old-fashioned Pernese Weyr. The catch? I plan to eventually have a full roster of about 540 dragons (not including weyrlings), complete with 17 wings plus the queen's wing. So far I've got about 80 dragons from Darkling Dawn; that's almost 3 wings worth of dragons (with 30 dragons in a wing).
...Anyway, I'm really not familiar with the online Weyr thing as far as timelines and locations and whatnot are concerned. Right now, I think I'm setting it in the 10th pass, in the southern Cibola region, but I'm open to advice on that. As far as storyline goes:

A miscalculation by Aivas means that 200 turns after Thread was thought to be gone forever, the 10th Pass starts with the dragons disorganized and vastly unprepared to fight Thread. New Weyrs are popping up as everyone scrambles to prevent Thread from doing too much damage to the planet. As one Weyr finds that they're stretched too thin defending too large a territory, they decide it's time to found a new Weyr. Only problem is, they have no queens to spare, and precious few fighters, for that matter. They can get the Weyr started, but the dragons will have to come from somewhere else.
A young bronzerider named S'rey is one of the riders selected to build this new Weyr, and while searching for riders to help, he stumbles onto Darkling Dawn. They've had a few problems of their own with intelligent and deadly predators called deingons poaching their civilians, but they have a thriving dragon population, many of whom are descended from Pern, along with their riders. Some of them decide they would rather live on their home planet and agree to go back with S'rey, including no less than three queens!
There is one other problem, however. It takes a lot of resources to build a Weyr, and the only one who can afford to supply them is the Lord Holder of Sedona Hold, Tuan, and he doesn't like new things such as bizarre colors or non-human entities; the new Weyr cannot afford to get on his bad side, which means that non-human riders, unbonded dragons, and most dragons of rare color or non-Pernese ancestry will have to stay behind--or be willing to lie their pants off about it. What Lord Tuan doesn't know won't hurt him!
S'rey's new allies give the new Weyr--also called Sedona Weyr--a fighting chance, but there's still far too many empty weyrs that need to be filled...

I'm still pondering how clutches are going to work, and I'm probably not going to run them very often anyway. Since I know it's probably too much to hope that I'll get enough candidates to match up all the hatchlings in a fair amount of time, I'll probably have a lot of NPCs to fill my Wings.
General rules about the Weyr: Candidates must be human, or close enough to be able to pass as human. Not everyone at the Weyr will be aware of alternate universes and whatnot. :P I'm also going by Dragonchoice's Impression theory, so cross-gender bonding will mostly be males on green, and females will only rarely, if ever, Impress male dragons. Most mating flights will be one of my queens rising and may or may not be open to everyone.

Oh, the fun I shall be having... XD
Darkling Dawn: Fauna Frenzy Open to candidates; flights open to males/females; rukel eggs/breedings available.
Drockh-Tallahn Castle: 3 eggs, 2 available. Females and males needed.
Sgiath Wolfkeep: 7 pups available
Sedona Weyr: 12 eggs, Deadline March 8. Chasers and a female needed.
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

Heh, you know I'm in for this :D
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

I'm assuming that you'll want candidates that Impress to stay at the Weyr, right?

I'm not sure if I'll have a tonne of time to write for candidates but I can throw some your way to help fill out the blues and greens. :)
JKatkina
Ancient Dragon

Post by JKatkina »

Oh goodness, I'm reading that information about the impression theory... this is interesting:
Kitti put a clever twist on the fire-lizard template when she created dragons: the starving newborn dragonets would be driven to seek not food, but one to provide food. Impression, not consumption, was made the dominant instinct of the hatchling dragon. ...

Impression, then, was turned into the fundamental necessity for a dragon to survive the first few minutes of its life. Without Impressing, a dragonet cannot eat; without eating it will quickly succumb to starvation. Dragonets who fail to Impress die: a harsh but necessary solution to the potentially disastrous scenario of rogue dragons.
So really, even on Pern, theoretically, dragons could bond to dragons? The important thing is finding someone who can find you food... but that doesn't necessitate a human. A queen that offered food to her offspring could make a GIGANTIC DRAGON FAIR like a firelizard fair. Chriiiist.
(I'm still reading through it though, so maybe I'm wrong. XD)

/derailment
Image Image Image Image
Kitsuneko
Ancient Dragon

Post by Kitsuneko »

The Weyrleaders would prefer it that way, yes, but they would not refuse someone that wanted to transfer somewhere else once they had gone through weyrling training. OOCly, I'm not that strict. :D Of course, I'm going to be bringing in dragons of my own from other Weyrs when possible as well, so it kind of evens out.

(EDIT) JKat, I had an idea for an AU Pern like that a long time ago, where humans had all mysteriously left generations ago, so the dragons essentially formed webs of Impressions between dragons until each queen basically had a fair of her own. :D
Darkling Dawn: Fauna Frenzy Open to candidates; flights open to males/females; rukel eggs/breedings available.
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

Massive dragon fairs would be awesome! I think that there needs to be a Weyr like that... you start off with a random hatchling and accumulate more from there!

Not exactly traditional, but it'd be neat.
Naeodin
Dragon

Post by Naeodin »

.... i missed old fashionism.

I WANT
Kitsuneko
Ancient Dragon

Post by Kitsuneko »