Weird email from (?) jess?

For general discussions of any sort that don't fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Mystic Dragon, Xalia, Shard, JKatkina

Shard
Great Wyrm

Weird email from (?) jess?

Post by Shard »

I got this in my email yesterday/today... It doesn't sound legit, as anyone who knows me knows I can't possibly lend any money to anyone (hell between mom and me, we've overdrawn and risk having NO checking accounts at all, at this point...) ...

This sender is DomainKeys verified
"Lady Elina" <jess_8472>
View contact details
To:
jess_8472@yahoo.com NOTE THIS, to and from are the same
Am in a hurry writing you this note, i hope this message didn't came to you as a surprise? And is very urgent. I could barely think straight at this point.
You are the only person i could reach at the moment, and i hope you will come to my aid, because something very terrible is happening to me now, i need a favor from you, i had a trip here in United Kingdom.
I am presently in Sheffield and I'm having some difficulties. I misplaced my bag on my way to the hotel where other valuable things were kept along with my INTERNATIONAL PASSPORT, unfortunately for me all my money got stolen.
I feel so ashamed because i am so stranded and idle. Deeply in pains.
I will like you to help me with a loan of $2,000 to pay my hotel bills and also return back home. I will refund the money to you as soon as I get back home.
I have spoken to the Embassy here but they are not responding to the matter effectively, I'm so confused.
Hope to hear from you as soon as possible today.

Lady Elina

http://www.geocities.com/jess_8472/index.html

... Anyone else receive this? Because I suspect that her account's been hacked, I don't think she'd ever have cause to 'only contact me' given that she has access to everyone here. If it's legit I would worry about her, but ... I dunno.
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

I'd seriously doubt the legitimacy of the email. While I could see Jess *possibly* reacting this way in a total *omg* moment -- she's Navy, and every interaction I've had with her makes me believe she's a very calm, cool-headed person -- and no mention of the Nexus? That doesn't sound like one of us.

I can see sending you the *omghelp* email, because, frankly, your email is the one that a lot of us know off hand, or have in our address books. But not asking this to be forwarded to the Nexus?

And phrasing like "i am so stranded and idle. Deeply in pains" -- what? Again, setting off my spam sensors here. Considering that she was posting as recently as yesterday, with no mention of going out of country or whatnot... yeah.

Now, I'm going to feel like the worst person in the world if this *is* legit, but I can't help but think it isn't.
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

Yup. "she" claims to have only been able to contact me, but doesn't mention me by name, or anything. So, I'm guessing haxxorz. :(
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

Hacked for sure! She doesn't 'speak' that way, in as far as I can recognize her word usage -- How do we go on to let Jess know, now?
Mystic Dragon
Great Wyrm

Post by Mystic Dragon »

Oh, I got that too. I laughed and deleted it. Obvious hack/spam attempt.

>.> *disappears into the shadows again*
https://renaissancebookpress.com/2017/0 ... tlin-caul/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;