Attack site Whhhhhaaaa?...

For general madness of any sort. Check your sanity at the door.

Moderators: Mystic Dragon, Xalia, Shard

Attack site Whhhhhaaaa?...

Post by Guest »

There's something seriously messed up going on with my hosting server today...

Several times today I tried to log in and the site wouldn't load, and now today I can login but apparently can't view any of my files. AND, if you try and go to any of my pages, it says it's a reported attack site.

Should I be majorly worried about my account? I know sometimes servers are weird and this might be a temporary problem the company will fix, but do any of you have experiences with this sort of thing? Should I at this point be kissing my pages goodbye?
jess d
Dragon

Post by jess d »

Which pages? I tried the link in your sig, and the pages seem to be working fine...
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

Did your security settings get changed somehow? Site works fine and doesn't come up bad for me in firefox.
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com

Post by Guest »

Huh... I just tired it again and it works for me too. O_O I guess whatever the problem was they fixed it?

That's a relief, even if it makes me look like a doofus. XD

Post by Guest »

Nope, spoke too soon, it's down again...

Post by Guest »

It's been more than a week and it still says the site isn't working. Now, the page just doesn't load at all, and neither does the website's server page:

http://cp8.awardspace.com/

Anyone have ideas about what I should do? At this point I can't even access my files to upload them and try and find a new host. :(
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

http://www.awardspace.com/ is this the page you're looking for?

Post by Guest »

Sort of? It's the same site, different portal. It works, but when you go to login and enter your info, the page doesn't load, and all the pages of my site still won't either.

I'm really worried because this has been going on for a while now, so it could either be some weird firewall my computer has against this site (unlikely?), or the site itself not working. To even contact support with a ticket you need to login, which apparently I can't do.

:(
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

Try calling them. I'm sure they have a phone number somewhere on that site.

Post by Guest »

AWESOME news on my site (not).

Well, it's been 1 1/2 months since my site went down. I ended up finding a thread on the support forums (the only active thread in a largely inactive forum) where I found, to my shock, that there were MANY other users, free hosted and paid accounts alike, whose sites had suddenly gone down without warning and could also not login to make a support ticket.

Eventually, I learned, someone called BILLING to find out the trouble. The server our sites were hosted on had crashed and was being repaired. They estimated 2 days of repair.

2 days passed. Not only was nothing back up, but there was still no word from the company.

Someone called billing again and this time they were told "so sorry, it's taking longer than expected. Now an estimated week."

So a week went by. Still nothing.

FINALLY, after 3 WEEKS of no service and no official word, we get a guy on the forums who is an admin and doesn't seem to speak perfect english, saying THERE IS NO ESTIMATE ANYMORE when the service will be restored. Mind you, this is the first ANY of us had heard about any of us from an official representative of the company.

So basically, since I was SUPER SMART and didn't have backups for all my pages, I have to wait it out to get them back. It's already been 1.5 months now that I've been hanging out waiting for my site to come back online, and this company has been jerking us all around. Very unprofessional.

Sorry. Had to rant. I'm assuming most people aren't following the plight of my unfinished webpage and my dragon/beastie collection, but considering I'd just about finished re-doing them from when geocities croaked, this is about as welcome as icewater in my pants.
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

Wow what is the company you're buying space from? That's really, really shady.
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com

Post by Guest »

Awardspace.com

I would not recommend them. ;) It's sad though, because before this I had no complaints at all about the service. Live and learn!
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

Wow, that really sucks. I'm sorry to hear about all this shit that's happening to you -- it's why I always keep everything computer-side (and have a secondary backup on yet another machine) before uploading it to silveredmagic.

If you end up looking for another host (if you were paying for the service): go either inmotionhosting.com (my host) or http://www.site5.com/ (my fiance's host for the econ website -- if I wasn't so satisfied with the service I've been getting through inmotion, I'd switch to site5, because the deals are a bit better in terms of what you get)

Post by Guest »

I got so spoiled on Geocities that immediately after it announced it was closing I sort of turned my nose up at pay-hosting sites. It seemed (at the time) that paying for hosting would be frivolous of me. I think I've just been schooled though. ;)

I'm keeping those links, thank you! :) I still have to wait for my files to be accessible to me again, but at very least I can say I've learned a lot and won't repeat my mistake of having no backups of files.

Post by Guest »

I thoroughly second the suggestion of site5. I've been with them for 3-4 years now and have had only a couple of minor issues (which were my fault - my calender date being wrong caused me some issues logging in for a while, but that was my fault I hadn't noticed I'd accidentally changed the date lol) and they were still very helpful with sorting.

that said, If you don't want to pay, I'm more then happy to host you. I probably only using 10% of my webspace so have plenty spare.

Post by Guest »

Sorry this is late, for some reason the topic didn't light up!

That's a very generous offer of you Tiiyn! I might think about it... Honestly though, I might feel a little weird clogging up someone else's hosting with my random crap. ;)

Once I get my files back (I hope it's a "When" and not "IF") I'll take a look around and compare deals. I think I can afford my own hosting so long as it's with a reputable site that people I know are happy with! I'm quite wary now; after all, I might be using a free site, but the site that I'm on also offers paid hosting, and clearly they're not about good customer service.

Post by Guest »

Saints be praised, the webhost finally got my site back online!

Now comes the long and difficult task of uploading ALL of my files and pictures to my computer, one by one. I have quite a collection, apparently. After that, I'll be joining a new host and re-uploading everything, which will also take a while, but at least now I have a chance to get everything.

Whee!
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

Oh thank goodness.

When I was first starting out on the net, I used a lot of Yahoo's built in page builders, and so when they killed the protectorate's page, I lost about half a dozen unique riders (thankfully I knew who they were and what their dragons were, but the info itself was gone). So it's great that you've got access again!
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com