Hurricane Katrina

A place for old threads that are just too important to delete. Talk to a Mod if you think a thread should be moved here.

Moderators: Mystic Dragon, Xalia, Shard

Mystic Dragon
Great Wyrm

Hurricane Katrina

Post by Mystic Dragon »

Hopefully all of you know of the devestation that's going on in the southern states right now. If not... where have you been?

Anyway, someone from one of the groups I RP with put this up in her livejournal. She's given several links to agencies trying to help the surviviors of Katrina. Please, if you can spare anything, help them out. Not one of us knows the kind of hell they're suffering.

http://www.livejournal.com/users/blackt ... 59345.html
https://renaissancebookpress.com/2017/0 ... tlin-caul/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Keilin Alyr
Dragon

Post by Keilin Alyr »

I was actually wondering why no one has posted about this disaster as of yet. I only kept quiet about it because I wasn't sure if people were going to react angrily to something off topic or emotionally frightening. ^^;

I can't remember exactly what I had wanted to post earlier, and my apologies for thread-jacking, but here's a link I thought some of you would find helpful. Noah's Wish is an animal-welfare organization that focuses on helping animals during times of disaster. This organization helps pets who may have been abandoned due to strict shelter policies against animals.

I volunteer at an animal shelter, so the safety of the pets in the Gulf area is a large concern for me. After all, places like the Salvation Army and the Red Cross do amazing, wonderful things to save people, but their hands are tied concerning animals. I was hoping some of you guys might feel the same.

http://www.noahswish.org/
Tebsiqeu
Egg

Post by Tebsiqeu »

At sixteen, the only thing I really can do right now is donate money..but I don't know about anybody else, but I really want to help. I know local Red Crosses are also accepting donations of clothes, non-perishable food, ect.

It just sucks because I'm a firefighter and I can't do anything because of I'm too young.

They're doing a telathon tonight in the U.S. at 8 o'clock EST on all the major affiliates: CBS, NBC, ABC, ect. They did one just like it after September 11th and the Tsunami disaster.
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear."
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

Thanks for the link to that animal shelter organization Keilin! That's pretty much the thing I would want to donate to. The red cross organization here where I live is known to be corrupt and not working toward what they're saying, so I kind of automatically mistrust that org. But still, I'm sure that for the local area that org is just as good as any.

I really hope that the violence abates before the people trying to help get hurt too. It's ridiculous that so many people with nothing left already, will be willing to rape, shoot and pillage when they could be heroes.
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
Keilin Alyr
Dragon

Post by Keilin Alyr »

Ah, now I remember what I was going to ask. Do we have any members here who live in Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, or any of the other affected states? I'm hesitantly lumping Arkansas, Kentucky, Tennessee, West Virginia, and parts of western Virginia in that array as well, since I know there was some nasty flooding and tornadoes associated with Tropical Storm Katrina inland. Call me paranoid, I suppose.

On that same line of thought, is everyone accounted for in those areas? Hiatus included... I'd hate to find out that someone who was on a month-long break ended up losing their house. :(

Tebsiqeu, I didn't know you were a firefighter! At least you'll be able to contribute your current efforts towards some good someday. Right now, I'm pretty low on the grunt totem pole. I shovel poop and refill food dishes once a week... fat lot of good that'll do in the long-term, but at least the cats seem to appreciate it. *chuckles*
Kitsuneko
Ancient Dragon

Post by Kitsuneko »

I'm in West Virginia, but there's been no severe weather around here that I know of, thankfully.
Darkling Dawn: Fauna Frenzy Open to candidates; flights open to males/females; rukel eggs/breedings available.
Drockh-Tallahn Castle: 3 eggs, 2 available. Females and males needed.
Sgiath Wolfkeep: 7 pups available
Sedona Weyr: 12 eggs, Deadline March 8. Chasers and a female needed.
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

I don't know, unfortunately. I think there's a few of us in Texas but parts east of there I can't say for sure.

There's a mapping thingie on the Elfquest collector's site, I wonder if that's something we could have. It's really kinda neat. I will look into it, I've thought of it for here since seeing it the first time.
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
Tebsiqeu
Egg

Post by Tebsiqeu »

I'm in Virginia..but in central VA..we got nothing but wind from Katrina..thank the stars above..
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear."
dracosinfernoweyr
Dragon

Post by dracosinfernoweyr »

I'm in North Carolina, and all I think we got was a windy day with a little rain. Until that mega huge gas-scare we had on Wednesday, because the pipeline that supplied us was shut off/damaged due to the hurricane. Hoo boy was that a fun day! O__o

I think I'd rather be without gas for a while than without a home, though... or a family member.

I'm going to try and find a place to donate blood 'round here somewheres. It's about all I can do right now, as I can give blood more easily than money ^^;;
~Kayla, what is that I don't even
+ Char Listing + LJ +
Asha Wermyst
Dragon

Post by Asha Wermyst »

I'm in NC, too.......we got several thunderstorms where I was, but not much else.

I'm keeping watch for more hurricanes, too.....the gas is back on in my territory. Finally.
Skysong
Dragon

Post by Skysong »

There's several people on LiveJournal who are donating a dollar for each comment they get on their post. If you want to post and help out that way, here's a few that I've found:

http://www.livejournal.com/users/errantpenny/15013.html
http://www.livejournal.com/users/shadbolt75/53974.html
http://www.livejournal.com/users/meinnim/788230.html
http://www.livejournal.com/users/shivacat/96655.html
http://www.livejournal.com/users/squirr ... 78490.html

Since I'm so poor in the money, I want to see if I can get a group of people together to donate blood. Not sure how much that would help, but I want to do something..
Samber
Dragon

Post by Samber »

Me and my family are thinking of offering to have people come and live with us... we're in Wisconsin, kind of far away, but we have room if my brothers share rooms (they each have their own right now) and we have two cars, two computers, and a fairly big house... dunno if it'll work out, though.
Luna
Fledgling

Post by Luna »

hey guys, I live in florida, and as for disaster aid I cannot stress enough that the only thing you can send that would be useful is money.

I lived through Andrew, a storm almost as bad as Katrina except for the sheer size, and in the weeks after we had hundreds of people driving through our state 'offering help.' Laundry soap...butterball turkeys..etc...

Not what we needed, and definetly not what those people along the gulf need from us. Now Shard, I'm sure there is a way to bypass your area of the RC and donate directly to the gulf chapter, and the same goes for everyone else. I for one have donated, and plan to donate as much as I can. I've been there, and after having Katrina sweep overhead as just a cat. 1, I don't want to imagine the horror it wrecked as a 4.

As for housing people...I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the areas that were the worst off house the poorer people, and while I'm sure some of those people are decent hard working americans...please keep in mind that hurricanes give DAYS worth of notice to get out and it's been a known fact that New Orleans would be devastated should anything above a cat. 3 hit. And unfortunately some of the people who remained and now want to claim shelter are people who stayed for the express purpose of looting.

Not a nice thought..but there it is. Please, if your family wants to house refugees be cautious, my neighbors want to do it, and we are not thrilled since said neighbors are not the nicest of people. They just feel it is their religious duty and wil probably do nothing else to help whomever they take in. Which means no checking of who they take in. Just be careful, I beg of you. Disasters are ripe with scammers who are -waiting- to take advantage of good people.

-Luna
Mystic Dragon
Great Wyrm

Post by Mystic Dragon »

If you read through the livejournal entry that I posted you'll find several donation places available aside from the RC. Most of it uses PayPal too.
https://renaissancebookpress.com/2017/0 ... tlin-caul/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mystic Dragon
Great Wyrm

Post by Mystic Dragon »

While I do still encourage people to donate to the hurricane charities, especially given America seems to be attracting them like moths to a flame these days, I'm going to close this thread down due to inactivity.