Clan Akelara Updates

For all your update needs.

Moderators: Mystic Dragon, Xalia, Shard

StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

A half-year later..

While not everything I'd _like_ to be finished is finished, I'm slowly working my way through the pages, one at a time, and changing them.

Most notably, the new layout is (finally!) in effect on the Akelara site. When I finally realized I was using the files on my C drive more often than the files online, not because the ones on my drive had better/newer information (though they do, in many cases), but because I could actually read them... well.

In other news, the Alaiskya info pages are updated, with some wording changes, as well as a table with marking-pictures and a table of color-to-magic correspondence. It'll be further cleaned up later, but the information is pretty accurate (except for some of the things about clutching, but blar).

The Myrsilk info pages are updated, all the way through the first page of the Elements. The second page is almost finished (only Blood left to described and color), and the third page has all the marking colors listed (though Moon needs a description, and all of the elements on that page need body and secondary colors listed).

There's the very tiny bit of a start of the Aiji Kamui.

... I'm sure there are other things that've been changed (and that need to be changed), but I'm starting to get burned out for right now, so tis off to do some mindless slaughtering/looting in Fate. ^^
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

High five! That's great progress, congrats!
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

Thought y'all might want to see where my muse has been this past week >.>;; And as a bonus, get to see what the continent that Akelara is on really looks like.

Akelara, Vecira, and Koshi Keidai are marked, nothing else is.

The lake to the west of Akelara is where dragons that can swim in freshwater (and need water) go. The bay just south of that is salt-water, and is where other water-dragons can go.

The various greens are forest (in general) - the darkest green is jungle, slightly lighter is 'forest-forest' (broad-leaf trees), lighter (like what's around Vecira) is coniferous. Green-brown sections (like that south of Akelara and north-west of Vecira) are savannah/plains regions (well, more similar to what's here in the midwest, I think). The really, really light greeny-pale region in the very tippy-top north of that continent is taiga/tundra. The strip of brown next to the mountains that Koshi Keidai is in is plateaus, same with the little section at the very south, next to the little east-west strip of mountains. (There's no desert in those regions, though it's very dry, because despite being in the rain-shadows of fairly high mountain-ranges, those areas are _also_ sitting right next to the ocean, and thus there's enough rain coming in to keep some vegetation growing).

Vecira is in an 'old range', similar to the Appalachians. Still 'mountainy', but, really, more 'big hills' than 'tall mountains'. Koshi Keidai is in a 'new range' like the Rockies.

There are two other major continents, some big islands, and (lots) of little islands in some areas that I didn't/forgot to paint in.

So! Continent two:

Really bad photo, because I didn't take fifty shots to find the one my hands weren't shaking on >.>;;

Nothing of real interest here. Another massive mountain range, some plateaus, more jungle, another really big lake... nothing distinctly mine is in place here, though some Everrealm Wilds might eventually take over part of this continent. I might do something over here, eventually.

Onto continent three:

Mmm, desert. This is the tallest mountain range on Nyracii. The land to the west of the range is literally barely-above-sea-level, while the land on the east of the range is several hundred feet higher. That desert is where the Alevaharin of mine technically live. Eventually, I might actually set up a proper Pride page, like Clan Vecira has.

Though not shown (because Starry is a doofus who forgets things like axle-tilt), the world is on an earth-like tilt, though it spins a bit slower (28 hour days instead of 24) and has a year-cycle that's approximately earth-like (378 days, or there-abouts - leap year once every three years instead of four). It has two moons - a greater, called Idolais, that's approximately the size of our Moon, and a lesser, called Mimar, that's roughly 1/3rd the size. Tides are fun, but not omgwtf-evil, though you do need to be careful about being on the beach when Idolais and Mimar are in sync.

Speaking of beaches, I seem to have forgotten to paint those in. Very well, assume (in most cases) there are beaches on the seashore. Exceptions would be most of the east shore-line on the third continent (cliffs), and the south-east shoreline on Akelara's continent (also cliffs). I'm sure there are other exceptions, but those are the two I can think of off hand.
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

EEEEE :) So freaking cool!

So I'm not the ONLY one who makes planets! (I have both the Otherforest and Zekira done on styrofoam balls!)

What'd you make it with?
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

Yay, double post.
Last edited by StarFyre on Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

>.> A 6 inch wooden ball (or maybe it was 5 and a half, I forget at this point), with a metal eye-hook screwed into it to hang it with, aluminum foil padded all around the ball, then sculpey extra-firm grey modeling clay over that. Then, because I forgot and bought waterbased acrylics instead of pure acrylic paints, I had to go out and get a glaze to glaze the clay with. At which point, I then painted, then sealed the paint with more glaze.

I could probably use it as a beatin' stick and it wouldn't break >_>;;
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

That is so freaking cool! Great job, Starfyre! :o I really like it!
JKatkina
Ancient Dragon

Post by JKatkina »

Holy man, that is just an epically cool idea. :D
Image Image Image Image
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

The Myrsilk elements are now complete, with descriptions and color charts for every element.
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

Cool, now that will make it much easier to develop offspring :D Excellent!
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

I'll do the Seasons next. Those might be a bit harder to quantify in a way that makes sense, though.

Thing is, I think I'm coming down with something >_<;; These past two days, I've slowly started sleeping more, and my stomach's been bothering me. And I just feel.. blargle. Guh.
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

Love the way that you present the elements (especially the gradient charts! What a good idea!) I hope that you're feeling better, soon!
Keilin Alyr
Dragon

Post by Keilin Alyr »

Honestly, I like the Season writeup as it is now, especially if ti would be difficult to translate into color swatches. For some reason, it seems appropriate for the Seasons to have a bit of mystery to them, since they're meant to be an uncommon variation.

As for your feeling under the weather, I swear it wasn't my fault. Mine doesn't seem to be going anywhere anyway. *douses the man-eating virus with green tea and cough syrup* Seriously, feel better soon. It would suck to follow up being productive with feeling ill.
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

The thing with the seasons is that they're supposed to be very distinctly mottled. Well, for example, take a look at any Season I've put out there (for the most part) ala this page: http://www.silveredmagic.com/akelara/h3result.html

That sort of variation and mottling isn't easy to quantify, exactly. Not the way I did the Elementals.

I might just add swatches for the markings, because those don't change and they're a bit more complicated than Elemental markings (and I'm pretty sure I got Winter wrong on the write-up).

Opinions? Should I try to quantify the Seasons, or are the descriptions good enough?

Good bet is that my roommate got me sick, actually - she's got a mild case of the flu, or somesuch, so... yeah. -.-;; So I get it over the weekend I'm supposed to be spending with friends.
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

Hmm, the descriptions are probably easier in the long-run, though if you took a stab at the swatches, I would definitely not say no to 'em! I really like them on the element page... if you can find a way to add to the complexity of that, then go for it!
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

I'm tempted to just lift sections of dragon and plop 'em down and say "THESE COLORS, DONE SOMETHING LIKE THIS! c_c;; DON'TSHOOTME..."

=P
JKatkina
Ancient Dragon

Post by JKatkina »

You could do a swatch of what kind of mottling you expect them to have! Like a chunk of hide on the page for people to see. Different than the elements, yes, but the seasons are different enough to warrant that.
Image Image Image Image