A more recent read?

For general discussions of any sort that don't fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Mystic Dragon, Xalia, Shard, JKatkina

Midori
Dragon

A more recent read?

Post by Midori »

Well I think around 90% of us started off with Dragon Riders of Pern but I was wondering what have you read more recently?

I have been reading this Discworld series. Which I'm enjoying I think to much. So anyone heard of Discworld? Or is there something else that's keeping your attention. ^^

Post by Guest »

I love the Discworld series! I actually just finished "Making Money" last night. As always, an awesome read.

I'm really voracious with books (love, love to read!). :D

Currently I don't know what to pick up next, I have a dozen stacked up just waiting.
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

I recently re-read the first two Majipoor books, by Robert Silverberg. I'd had them for many, many years, and I know there are about 5 other books I haven't ever read. Such a great world he's got. Equal parts fantasy and sci fi, and like all Silverberg's works - superbly written. you can just fall right into them.
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
JKatkina
Ancient Dragon

Post by JKatkina »

Anybody who's into young adult fiction should check out stuff by Tamora Pierce. I suggest Terrier and Bloodhound, or the Song of the Lioness quartet. Total girl-power books. :D
Image Image Image Image
Xenoqueen
Great Wyrm

Post by Xenoqueen »

Currently working through Stephen King's newest, Under the Dome, during the slow moments at work. My favorite author, that man.
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

Much love for both Terry Pratchett and Tamora Pierce.

I've recently been reading anything of Jeffrey Carver (StarRigger universe, etc) that I can get my hands on, along with the Obsidian Trilogy and its sequel by Mercedes Lackey and James Mallory. Also on my "hmmm" lists are the newest Jennifer Rardin book about Jaz Parks (well written vamp books, if you like that stuff), the Patrica Briggs "Mercy Thompson" novels, and Feast of Souls by C.S. Friedmann (though I keep almost picking it up, then going "uhuh, frig that, remember what happened in the Coldfire Trilogy? And this is supposed to be its spiritual successor in a way. I don't feel like being made to care heart-and-soul for characters that're just gunna die.")

For good measure, there are science books on the reading list as well, like "Simplexity: Why Simple Things Become Complex (and How Complex Things Can Be Made Simple)", "The World in Six Songs", and "Blink".
Kitsuneko
Ancient Dragon

Post by Kitsuneko »

I just finished reading the Codex Alera series (Jim Butcher), so now I'm re-reading the Bartimaeus Trilogy by Johnathan Stroud. I highly recommend both of them, along with the Dresden Files, also by Jim Butcher.
Darkling Dawn: Fauna Frenzy Open to candidates; flights open to males/females; rukel eggs/breedings available.
Drockh-Tallahn Castle: 3 eggs, 2 available. Females and males needed.
Sgiath Wolfkeep: 7 pups available
Sedona Weyr: 12 eggs, Deadline March 8. Chasers and a female needed.
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

If you're in to graphic novels, the Walking Dead series (about zombies XD) has really gained popularity. I hear that HBO is thinking of picking it up as a series on TV, even! XD It's nearly 100% exactly like an RP that JKat and I were in a few years ago, so maybe that's part of why it tickles my fancy.

Hell Boy and all of the BPRD books are pretty fun -- interesting and deep mythological research obviously went on to make 'em!

Pride of Baghdad was really good, but sad. (It's about lions who escape the zoo in a war torn city. :x)

There are lots of others that I have my eyes on, but don't have the money for yet. XD Maybe for Xmas someone will get me a gift certificate to my local comic shop. Oooh that would be heaven!

Post by Guest »

I love the Walking Dead series! I've always been a bit of a zombie nut, but as the author of the series explained, am often displeased by the fact that stories about zombies are never ongoing. You can't cram years of surviving zombies into one movie, after all. ;) I'm excited to hear HBO might pick it up, too! HBO always does such good series.

I don't read many other graphic novels, though. :) The few I've stuck with have been random ones I've come across and enjoyed. Parasyte was one of those, a Japanese horror graphic novel. It can be read online, which is fortunate, since it's LONG out of print:
http://www.onemanga.com/Parasyte/

Other than that? I'm into horror and fiction but try to stay away from hardcore fantasy novels (if it has dragon in the name... LOL). In fact, the only read I ever read Dragonriders at all was because I saw Sapphire's site and was like, "WTF is this Pern buisness, anyway?"
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

Hehe, at the convention a couple years ago I got Charlie Adlard to do me a Sanger.

Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

That's terrifying! XD

Also, a note to those who like to pick up books that have pictures of dragons on the covers, you may not like 'Touched by Venom'. I got it (second hand!) because I thought it would be lulzy, but it wound up being rather disturbing AND a downer! That'll teach me to judge books based on their cover!