Is The Nexus.....

Got an idea? Share it here!

Moderators: Mystic Dragon, Xalia, Shard

DragonFlight
Dragon

Is The Nexus.....

Post by DragonFlight »

Has anyone out there considered whether or not the Nexus is an actual place in our realms/worlds/cosmologies/universes and so forth? Anyone given any thought to what sort of place it would end up like, if it mimicked the sort of information exchanges we do in the forums? Basically, what would it look like or be like if the forums of the Nexus became the actual place, the Nexus?

I got to musing on it, and then couldn't stop. I could see it including a series of embassies, though that might get crazy dangerous with some of the darker stuff. What sort of control or jobs would the admins actually have? Anyone imagining yet? XD
Database Being Revamped

'Epic' is most concisely defined as something that, were you to do it in view of a person in real life, they'd pretty much have to sleep with you immediately to maintain order in the universe.
I sneezed. It seems to have reshaped reality. My bad.
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

I'm seeing something totally Bar At The End of Universe style. *shifty eyes*
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

Heheh. Yeah, like many forums it has a very distinct feel to me. For me though, more of a suite or mansion - perhaps a large hotel (hotel california? ;) ) with a lounge, a library, spa, and gaming rooms...
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

I'd say something more mansion-like. We are a bit of a family, if a rather dysfunctional one. I mean, look at how often the "core" group of people goes piff-reappear-piff-reappear. When all's said and done, at the end of the day, we do actually care about this place and about each other. And usually hotels are more of a "passing through" feel for me (probably all those two day trips out to NJ and back as a lil keed).
Xenoqueen
Great Wyrm

Post by Xenoqueen »

StarFyre wrote:I'm seeing something totally Bar At The End of Universe style. *shifty eyes*
Bar? Naw. Internet Cafe! XD
delyar
Dragon

Post by delyar »

I could totally see it being some weird space-bar nook like in the Star Wars movies. :P People show up, chat, sometimes you don't see them a while but then they crop up and it's all HEYYYYY.
Character Listing
Site Listing - Links to All Sites (Link back here if confused!)
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

Either that or some vast... farm... or ranch if you will, of dragons being trotted out and passing hands between acreage neighbors. XD
JKatkina
Ancient Dragon

Post by JKatkina »

Shard wrote:perhaps a large hotel (hotel california? ;) )
"You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave".... yep, sounds about right. XD

I like the mansion idea though I imagine something smaller. We are not a HUGE forum. XD Maybe a big old rambling house... because we do have to have a yard. For Shard to chase the kiddies off of. >.> :D
Image Image Image Image
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

Oooh, like that house from that 'calling on dragons' book or whatever it was called, with the house that has multiple rooms that come out of nowhere?! :D
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

An entire place made of Rooms of Requirement :)
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

Mmm, rambling houses, the best kind of house! It ain't a house till I can get lost in it, find a couple rooms and some people I'd nearly forgotten about, then find my way back =P
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

I'm half tempted to get the forum names changed.

Debate / Discuss = Bar Room Brawls
RP = Get a Room!
Updates = The Nursery

:D
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

XD Like we don't confuse newbies enough as it is!
Astra
Ancient Dragon

Post by Astra »

JKatkina wrote:
Shard wrote:perhaps a large hotel (hotel california? ;) )
"You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave".... yep, sounds about right. XD

I like the mansion idea though I imagine something smaller. We are not a HUGE forum. XD Maybe a big old rambling house... because we do have to have a yard. For Shard to chase the kiddies off of. >.> :D
So it's like a roach motel for dragons? D: Sorry, whenever I hear the song "Hotel California," I think of those old roach motel commercials. "You can check in, but you can't check out." I'm a bad person :P

I always thought of "the nexus" as being like a place between worlds, not unlike the interstellar flux in Jeffrey Carver's star rigger series (http://www.starrigger.net/riggerbooks.htm). I'd never thought of it being an actual place, though. I kind of like the bar at the end of the universe idea. A place where the freaks of the universe (and their semi-normal dragons) can hang out and get a beer, or perhaps some chocolate milk. It'd need to be pretty big, of course, to accommodate the larger dragons, unless everyone had shrinking spells cast on them before entering.
ImageImageImage
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

Dray wrote:XD Like we don't confuse newbies enough as it is!
Oh, come on, you know we've been around long enough that we can start pulling the insular card.

... And it's scary, but we actually are old enough as a group to do that 0.o;; You know, I first joined when I was just barely entering into highschool, and now I'm talking about grad school, research positions, and what I wanna do with my life. Yeeeeeeesh.

Hmm.. but new blood is so tasty... ... *looks thoughtful* ... Hmm.. become insular with inside jokes everywhere, or keep arms open to welcome new blood to devou-- er, I mean, play with. ... That doesn't sound much better, does it? =P

Oh! Thank you Astra! I'd been trying to remember the name of the Starrigger series forever! I love those books so much, but only ever borrowed them from libraries, so the names never really stuck in my mind.
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

We should also have a theme park.
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
Yakima
Ancient Dragon

Post by Yakima »

*shakes her head* Yep, you've all gone weird on me! XD
~ Weyrwoman Yakima of Isla Weyr

Isla Weyr: http://www.isla.mage-circle.com
Velare Isle: http://www.velare.mage-circle.com
Treval Dragonry: http://www.treval.mage-circle.com
Alair WolfKeep
The Last Oddessy: http://www.last-oddessy.mage-circle.com
Baskar Castle: http://www.baskar.mage-circle.com
World of Sentra: http://www.sentra.mage-circle.com
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

"Gone"? :D
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

Randomness: when I read Phe's 'godshard' ability in her crazy monsters, I immediately lolled, "yep, that's our Shard~!" X3
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

Pffffflol
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com