Nidus Corona Dragon Clutches

Giveaways or draws, contests or freebies, this is where to go for critters being given out in a non-clutch format.

Moderators: Mystic Dragon, Xalia, Shard

StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Re: Random Dragon Giveaways

Post by StarFyre »

*throws link your way* Terminys: http://www.silveredmagic.com/candis/terminys.html

I'm going to go with my standard comment that if you want to keep giving me dragonborn, I seem to be missing a few yet =P

Your Name: Starfyre
Preferences: (which clutch do you want?) Uhhh.. Geperna at the moment
Candidate 1 Name:
Species: humanoid
Appearance: neat, pale
Personality: unusual, responsible, proud

Candidate 2 Name:
Species: humanoid
Appearance: colorful, exotic, macabre
Personality: careless, moody, intellectual
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

Derp question: do you happen to have a list of the ones I gave you? XD I don't know if you mind repeat colours or not, but I'll try not to repeat if I know which I've done already!
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

Cherri is a Silver Dragonborn
Diri is a Red Dragonborn
Cleyr is a Black Dragonborn
Psy is a Copper Dragonborn

^^ And no, I don't mind repeats, but those are the ones I have.
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

StarFyre
Rider: Glinnyndir
Species: Dragonborn (Diamond)
Appearance: This unusual dragonborn is the last of her kind, coated in glistening scales that refract the light into rainbows when polished to a sheen. Most of them are frosted over, however, unpolished or cut or purposefully smashed to hide the qualities which have made her race so sought after. Glinn wears travellers robes with deep, heavy hoods, as well as thick gauntlets which cover her muscular arms. She does what she can to hide her scales from sight, though she has to wear down her horns, lest their translucent, glittering bounty be revealed to those who would hunt her for her body's treasures.
Personality: Glinnyndir is a rare variety of Dragonborn, her body producing natural quantities of diamond-mimicking scales that grow over time. Some think that her and her kind might be mutants, somewhat like others treat dwarfism or polydactylism in other species; Glin's parents were certainly not Diamond-types, though her odd colouration did run in her mother's family. Because of the demand for diamonds, and the regenerative capabilities of a Dragonborn's scales, Glin and other Gemstone-type Dragonborn are frequently hunted down and imprisoned, their scales plucked by those who seek easy wealth -- and Diamond-type Dragonborn are considered the most rare as sought after. Glin, for all of her research, has never come across mention of another Diamond in living memory... though she did make the mistake of revealing her identity to some would-be allies after a series of failed attempts to escape enterprising, evil masters.
Glinnyndir is still on the run, though she knows better than to flaunt her appearance to anyone. She doesn't much trust anyone, and has a way of pissing others off after a quick assessment; this is usually to put people at arm's length.

Netwi'Suah's Quest for Glin
The sparkling orange dragon peers down at the heavily hooded creature standing before her, flicking her tail and tasting the air with her reptilian tongue. "So so so serious," the Geperna entreats, blue-hued eyes whirling in merriment. She squats over her clutch of eggs, bringing up two claws to tick-tack-tick upon her nose in thought. "If you wish to bond one of these," Netwi'Suah remarks, picking up a tiny egg and rolling it down the length of one arm, bumping it off her wrist and catching it, crooning, in the palm of her other hand -- all this before tucking the precious little life back beneath her belly -- "you'll need to prove that you won't be a stick in the mud about caring for one of my children. Having a sense of humour is important, you know!"

She flicks out her tongue again, testing Glinnyndir. "Bring me the most amusing item you can find. Then I will allow one of these little tykes to take you up on your quest... or whatever it is you're here for."

(Depending on the kind of item you bring back, a different colour of Geperna will bond your character. For reference towards Geperna's generic likes and interests the old Mythicalae page is still up. There are also some colour hints on Netwi'Suah's page under 'offspring'.)
delyar
Dragon

Post by delyar »

Oh this looks like awesome fun!

I'll reformat my 30-gryph page to be more... useful and then throw one of those at you this weekend. (And a belated huge thank you for combing through that mess for prior matches, jeez, what was I thinking?)
Character Listing
Site Listing - Links to All Sites (Link back here if confused!)
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

Pthpt, it wasn't too much of an inconvenience. X3 I usually wound up hunting for cracks to fill in between bonded characters, and it was nice to browse through once in a while and look back over old dragon images!
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

Yaar, here we go. The puzzle Glin's talking about is this: http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/games/d86f/ (because thinkgeek is my god, I mean, what..? =P)

http://www.silveredmagic.com/candis/glinnyndir0.html
delyar
Dragon

Post by delyar »

Your Name: Delyar
Preferences: (which clutch do you want?) Geperna :D
As before, pick me an unattached one from: http://characters.lambeosaurine.com/30-gryph/index.html (Now with + to indicate those with bonds.)

Candidate 1 Name: Tamos
Species: Human
Appearance: Tamos is a moderately attractive young man with distinctive curly black hair that brushes his shoulders and dark skin. He is of average height and solidly built with a preference for dark coloured clothing. He rarely makes eye contact as most find his bright blue eyes unsettling considering his complexion.
Personality: Despite his broody appearance, Tamos is quite cheerful and quick to crack a smile. He is not particularly charismatic but is accepted as a nice guy by most people he meets. He is quiet and keeps his personal life and thoughts very private.

Candidate 2 Name: Jumi
Appearance: Jumi's blond hair is in two long braids that touch her waist. She has dark brown eyes and lightly freckled skin. She prefers to wear flowing dresses in shades of green or blue.
Personality: To put it simply, Jumi loves everything. She gets excited and passionate about the smallest thing, especially if it involves science in some form. She is constantly buzzing with interest and energy for some project, though she does not necessarily focus on one for very long. As a result, some consider her absent-minded and eccentric.
Character Listing
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

StarFyre
Name: Glait'Neey
Species: Geperna/Pernese Mutt
Colour: Green
Father: Brown Pernese Dragon, Eyaith: http://dray.pegaruny.com/Dragons/Flis.htm#Eyaith
Mother: Kagayaki Orange Geperna, Netwi'Suah: http://dray.pegaruny.com/Dragons/Neli.htm#Netwi
Size: Medium-Small
Height: 7'
Abilities: Psionics (Telepathy, Teleportation), Green Fyre (Green Hypnotic Breath Weapon)
Personality: Explorer, Agile, Laid-Back
Bond: Glinnyndir

Delyar
The sparkling orange dragoness eyeballs the youth with the curly brown hair who has approached her clutch, an air of mute skepticism firmly etched across her beak of a muzzle. "Oh. OH! You're not here to clean up around the nest? You're here to bond?!" She lowers her head, one blue eye peeled as she looks Dugataer over more closely. "Yes, I see, you are fairly handsome, for a boy-child, I suppose." The Geperna smiles wryly, if a dragon can be said to smile and not grimace with a mouth full of such pointed teeth. "Tell me, little boy," she puts on her craftiest voice, "if a horde of six-thousand malicious bug-people were to come storming in on your family, and you and your bond could take only your family or the vastly more expensive heirloom your family has been hiding for generations -- hypothetically, of course -- what would you pick? Humour me," she interrupts him before he can open his mouth. "My children deserve to know whether they're going to be defending lives or riches if they wind up going with the likes of you." She smirks, settling heavily over her brood, awaiting the response to her supposedly clever question.
delyar
Dragon

Post by delyar »

I wrote a story and everything... all to add a paragraph. It just happened, okay?

http://characters.lambeosaurine.com/30- ... y-dug.html

I originally had Oifu'Nest bringing him over but oops no teleportation so I couldn't add in a surprise family reunion. I am disappointed. :(

Edit: Oh yeah and I might end up retconning some of the boys' ages to try and bring my timeline more in line with your timeline. I assume that won't mess up your end of the records, though! (PS: Awesomely detailed timeline. I am impressed/jealous.)
Character Listing
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

I'm just excited to see written things for these. :D It's fun to read your guys' stories!

Delyar
The glimmering orange dragoness gave a raucous laugh and then jolted, startled, as one of the eggs beneath her began to rock. "You didn't fail," she chided, "it just means that this little bloke is about to shatter shell if you happened to turn and walk away. That is, his name will be--"

She had rolled the wobbling egg out from under her, the ovoid shape already sporting hairline cracks that were being worked hard upon. A tiny, glimmering head poked through, satiny brown beneath the fluids of his confining egg shell. ::I'm Duait'Neey:: the little brown said, struggling to free himself. ::Could... could you help me, Dugataer?:: the sound of apprehension and embarrassment coloured their new mental link. The brown was eager to get to his new bond... but there was an element of self-sufficiency that he also would have liked to cultivate!

Name: Duait'Neey
Colour: Kagayaki Brown
Father: Brown Pernese Dragon, Eyaith: http://dray.pegaruny.com/Dragons/Flis.htm#Eyaith
Mother: Kagayaki Orange Geperna, Netwi'Suah: http://dray.pegaruny.com/Dragons/Neli.htm#Netwi
Height: 8'
Abilities: Psionics (Telepathy, Teleportation), Modified Brown Fyre (Brown Insulating Breath Weapon: Sprays a brown foam which encases anything touched in a hardened membrane that can crumble open from the inside, insulating anything inside from outside attacks.)
Personality: Noble, Warrior, Arrogant

(If you want to snag the timeline stuff, I'm pretty sure that all of the javascript stuff is up on my site for the nabbing! :3 It would be kind of neat to sync up adoption agencies, though I'm not sure yet if that would wind up producing scads of extra dragonets that nobody can find time to page! XD)

StarFyre
(I had forgotten to do a hatching blurb for you in my rush last night! Apologies!)
Netwi'Suah had butted her nose down close to Glinn's proffered puzzle, intrigued by the little thing. "What is it?" she asked, sniffing the interlinking wooden blocks.

"It's a puzzle," the dragonborn replied, shying away a bit as the Geperna grew too close -- she didn't want Netwi to notice the colour of her scales, after all. Instead, holding up her arms, Glinn' did a demonstration by fiddling with the links, removing one or two, and holding the pieces out.

The shiny Geperna considered, then chuckled. "That's rather quaint. Oh!" She lifted herself up, then scraped out a little mottled egg that had begun to shake. The egg gave an explosive crack, and a deep green shape unrolled in a tangle of limbs and floppy, hatchling-stunted wings. ::It's not quaint,:: the little dragoness announced, ::it's interesting!::

"How would you know, you didn't even see," Netwi'Suah chided her daughter.

The baby Geperna took a moment to click her beak-like muzzle. ::I can see it all in my heart... no, that's the wrong one. In my mind's eye.:: She continued to unsort herself, then wound up waddling to the dragonborn. There was a low croon to her voice as she said only to Glinn', ::if you feed me, I'll keep your secret safe forever... fair trade?::

::Hold up the party!:: A second dragonet had squirmed out of his shell, and now he was squawking most unbecomingly. Netwi'Suah was not making much less noise: she looked displeased that all of her brood were finally fighting their ways out of their shells! ::I'm going with you!::

Glait' looked over at her brother, casting him a look of well-mannered amusement. ::So long as I'm fed first, I don't care whether you ride upon Glinnyndir's cap.::

Name: Glanit'Neey
Colour: Blue
Height: 8'
Abilities: Psionics (Telepathy, Teleportation), Blue Fyre (Blue Illuminative Breath Weapon)
Personality: Intelligent, Agile, Perceptive
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

Ooooh, pretty blue to go with the pretty green! Thankee, Dray ^^ They'll be up as I get a moment.
delyar
Dragon

Post by delyar »

Duait'Neey is somehow the most adorabley difficult to say name. :3 Thanks Dray, he's so cute!

And yeah, the difficulty is that the Deragonray (why why did I pick that name) was open for 6 years or so before I went on hiatus and then another 4 passed before I decided to blow up the place, so I don't really know where in my timeline to sync up with your year 0. Did you bychance make an SCD->Nidus Corona timeline/conversion point that I could attempt to work from? (Since Ckrenachithanth hatched from ESD's first clutch and bonded at SCD... that could provide a tenuous link.)
Character Listing
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

Unfortunately, my Star City timeline was pretty much non-existant. Since Ckrenachithanth bonded from clutch 4, I would say that from Clutch 4 to the last batch of clutches at Star City would have been at least 6 years, since there were only 5 functional hatching bays. So from then until just before Star City was overrun by xenos for the second time would probably have been about ten years; Nidus Corona would have been set up around that point, too. So... more or less guessing, Ckrenachithanth and Sowfesh would be 19 years older now if you were syncing up your timeline? XD That's a lot of time!
delyar
Dragon

Post by delyar »

And Duait'Neey is up. :) http://characters.lambeosaurine.com/30- ... ts14b.html

So Nidus Corona would have been founded in my year 19 (3 for Ckrena to grow up, 6 to end of clutches, 10 to xeno infestation). This Geperna clutch is in year 9, so that'd be more like my year 28... where did you get 19 from?
I had been placing NC clutches at my year 10 but operating with my own present at year 20. Luckily time travel fuckery can explain away some set age discrepancies (Charashien/Leralythir mainly).

Moar dragons?

Your Name: Delyar
Preferences: (which clutch do you want?) Geperna
As before, pick me an unattached one from: http://characters.lambeosaurine.com/30-gryph/index.html

Candidate 1 Name: Hadir
Appearance: Hadir is rather chubby but has a surprising amount of grace and bounce despite his bulk. He has olive skin and curly dark brown hair that he usually tries to tie back into a ponytail. He always has a grin plastered on his face.
Personality: Hadir is much more manipulative and conniving than he appears. He does his best to endear the leaders to him but he only cares about his own success. He is very ambitious and yearns for a life of luxury.

Candidate 2 Name: Amija
Appearance: Amija is very tall for a woman - an observation exaggerated by how thin she is. She walks with a bit of a hunch in order to avoid hitting her head on doorways, something that still happens with annoying regularity. Her right arm ends in a stump as a result of a nasty fight with a rogue hydra years ago. Her skin is dark from too much time spent in the sun but her grey eyes are sharp enough to pick out a mouse in a field from 20 meters off.
Personality: Amija is older than the average Novo with a wealth of experiences under her belt. She has traveled across worlds, across universes, and seen things that the fresh-faced youths she is grouped with can only imagine. As a result, she can come across as quite gruff and condescending. She refuses to let anyone pity her for her injury.
Character Listing
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

Delyar
As the first of the eggs cracks open and spills its shiny brown dragonet contents on the sand in front of Dugataer, the dragoness reluctantly turns her eyes upon Lakuyko. "You look like a much more intrepid little git," she tells him, her whirling blue eyes leering down. "For you, a quest." She scrapes out what looks to be a tiny carved hummingbird broach from one of her scales, admiring it in the light as its glossy, polished wood reflects the sunlight and Netwi'Suah's own burnished hide. "Take this," she tells Lukuyko, "and trade it with the locals... or go further, if you like. Bring back something for yourself and your prospective bond. Make several trades. I want to see exactly how well an enterprising young human like yourself can be." She gives him a toothy grin, hinting at interested, shifting eggs as she shows off a flash of shell here and there beneath her.
delyar
Dragon

Post by delyar »

Ooh this'll involve some thought. I like it.
Character Listing
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

I have a sort of over-map for the various Niduses that I have set up:

It's kind of lame since I'm guessing at climates and temperatures and stuff, but blueish and tall peaks == impassable frigid mountain wastes more or less, the greyer/tanner colours are dryer areas, that teal-ish colour is temperate rain forests, mid-green is less rainforesty-woods, and the chunk around Nidus Corona is a mixture of parkland/flatland. this is pretty much my first map ever... don't judge meeee!

I'll try to get a rough layout of Nidus Corona itself later; they're based off of a loose central area for nests with a main street and some concentric roads for niduli.
delyar
Dragon

Post by delyar »

It looks awesomely retro, actually. I like it!
Character Listing
delyar
Dragon

Post by delyar »

Hey Dray,
a) does NC have a barter system or a monetary system (or a combination of both)?
b) does NC have a merchant's quarter or where else would Lakuyko be able to go to trade?
c) I am totally using random Custos, I hope that's ok!
Character Listing
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

Corona has a strange mish-mash of money and trade, wherein a bunch of people came from different places that had everything from the most basic trading to electronic credits. In the last few years, a common currency has emerged wherein humanoids and dragons have been fleshing out a time for money/items and vice versa. The Archmaegera in conference with the Nidus Leaders draw up a full inventory of stores, and after learning the cycles of their territory have also drawn up what basic items like food and the elements of shelter (they're still building the Nidus and require a plethora of goods to set up the infrastructure for the niduli of the residents!) Wealthy Nidus residents can exchange the currency that they brought with them based on a fluctuating scale compared to other Nexus places for food and basic imports -- there is a market for offworld goods in the town center -- though generally commerce within the Nidus is based upon trade of resources or time. Since the dragons and humans are such massively different sizes and have different capabilities, a human boy couldn't take over the duties of dragon hauling stone from a quarry... but he might repair an article of clothing, curry or buff the dragon's fur or scales, or chase down a smaller creature that has darted into a space that the dragon can't reach.

As for the merchant's quarter, Nidus Corona is based upon a concentric ring structure, vaguely similar to Nidus Avengaea or Star City: the center field plays host to Nidus-wide events like Gathers -- the Sun Festival every summer is a popular destination for tourists and locals alike -- and is ringed by the Nidus Hall, which is itself separated between a commons which house a cafeteria, hostel-like sleeping and bathing areas for tourists and novos, and the council office rooms and records rooms. A portion of the central, circular field is roofed over and a sandy nesting area extends from out into the open to within a nesting building, with a few different pits in case there are broody, fighting females at the same time. In the first couple of years, the sands weren't properly heated through and this accounted for the high rate of dud eggs that had been produced, though improvements were hastily put into place to enhance the quality of life for the parents who had to suffer through that. A good portion of the rest of his inner ring is devoted to small businesses such as tailors, butchers, bakers, produce sellers, a hospital, a school room (including a small branch for young riding pairs, as taught by the Decurio), and the LC -- a tavern set up before nearly anything else and named by its proprietor, 'the Lower Caverns'. All of these buildings are dragon-proportioned, with high roofs, swinging doors, and raised floors to avoid the runoff that comes with the Nidus' months-long rainy winter.

There are two main roads that form a cross-section in the center of the Nidus, with the North-South running road called 'Wharf Lane', and the East-West road called 'Main Lane' -- they shorten to 'Wharf' and 'Main' respectively. Wharf runs, appropriately, down to the main wharf that juts out into the head of the enormous river mouth. A fish market has set up here, though others who have talents that transmute to products have joined in to sell their own goods -- whether it be the dragon who blows magic glass, or the smith who is selling his extra little creations. The market grows more eclectic the further from the Wharf it roams, as a second, off-world market began to sprout up in the area of the teleportation hub that was originally used in the field a kilometer or so from the Nidus' centre. A sort of joining-up of the two is beginning to take place, with buildings meant specifically to hold the Nidus' excess produce to be transported off-world, and imports brought in to supplement the resources the Nidus can provide for itself -- the two markets are busy at different times, with the Wharf typically being the one that locals use, and the Main being the one that tourists use (there are a few franchise monoliths that set down in all parts of the Nexus, including a Daemon spell-weaving stand for creature comforts!) Main market is also often used by the human and humanoid village called Paganus Corona, which is a sister settlement to the Nidus, composed mostly of human families who fish and have begun to set up farms. There are a few non-rider families living amongst the Nidus as well, and a couple of dragonrider pairs that are stationed at the Paganus, but the twin settlements were mostly separated based upon the tradition of the Hold, and the disparate living requirements of the much smaller humanoids from their larger dragon companions.

Back at the Nidus, housing is beginning to become available as individual niduli are erected around the concentric ring roads that loop around the main field. The inner circles are more permanent, with finished, polished wood siding and slate roofing, heated stone floors, etc. From the third road out, things take a turn for the 'work in progress', where the roads are grassy and unfinished, and the niduli look more like huts that provide the bare basics. On the first ring road facing south, there is a large chunk of property that has been set aside for council members: well to do and quite-large niduli for the Prima, Primus, and the Optimas and Optimus, as well as the Archs (the heads of accounting, healing, and internal community stuff.) Since this tradition of a sort of oligarchy composed of Gold and Bronze riders is squarely rooted in Pernese culture, it's come to clash with the more forward-minded residents. In that sense, Duxes and Optios (leaders of the teams which bring in resources and maintain the Nidus) tend to hold real sway in what actually happens, and, being elected, they represent their Ala-members and a small constituency which usually means the Ala-members' families. Arches are elected, too, while the gold and bronze riders -- and those who manage to schmooze and socialize their way into that ring -- are often seen as figure-heads. They do a great deal of coordinating with other Niduses planning defenses of the growing Paganus and Nidus both, as well as fielding off-world diplomatic work. Usually they are given their title only if they are willing to live up to the public eye. So far, none of the gold or bronze riders have managed to tarnish the trust that's been given them, even if one of them is a hydra-riding badass.

There are a few other areas of note: a sauna built to dragon proportions and maintained by Yon'choai'aeth that has had its various uses, a slowly growing orchard west of the Nidus maintained by a number of interested parties, a rock quarry north of the Nidus rich in slate and chalk. Though the Nidus was built upon flood plains, there are hilly protrusions East of both it and the Paganus, and islands hinting at tectonic movement (and perhaps ancient vulcanism) to the West where river meets ocean. When the tide changes, the river will occasionally reverse its flow up past the Paganus (which is East of the Nidus by a few kilometers). This change is not as swift or mind-boggling as, say, the Saint John River in New Brunswick, but it's enough to stir up the sea life and provides ample opportunity for residents to snatch up that which is left behind at low tide.

As for the Custos, that sounds fine! If they have magical abilities to create items and have the right personality for it, I'm sure they'd be fine with whipping something up in trade for your character. XD I'm not sure what the deal is with the hummingbird brooch, but you could go so far as to say that it was an item that Netwi'Suah won on a bet and might actually have some value, if you're stuck.
delyar
Dragon

Post by delyar »

Wow! That is incredibly thorough and gives me a lot to work with. Thank you!

I'm sure I can figure something out about the brooch. Lakuyko's mother was a jewelry maker (I didn't even make that up for this to be easier, it's in the prologue I wrote back in 2004), so I'm thinking of having him appraise it and then wheedle his way up to bigger things. I'm just not sure what I want to end with - which makes this more fun.
Character Listing
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

I've very loosely been using the reply you guys come up with as the option that the stereotypical colour-of-that-choice would approve of, though when it comes to certain of them it's kind of hard to think of ways to pair folks off. XD

What a coincidence with the jewellery thing, though! :D Cool!
delyar
Dragon

Post by delyar »

And finally finished up that story! It kind of got away from me so I apologize for the questionable morality and length.

http://characters.lambeosaurine.com/30- ... y-lak.html
Character Listing
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

That was awesome! :D I'd forgotten what it was like to read about folks wandering around your own location. There's something really fun about that. Thanks!

Delyar
By the time that Lakuyko had returned to the nesting grounds, the boy and his dragonet had been escorted out for the newly-hatched's first meal... and Netwi'Suah did not look too pleased in the meantime. Moreover, as the youth returned with daggers in hand, a tiny, green-haired woman was flitting around the sparkling orange dragoness with a look of concern. She spotted Lakuyko and frowned intensely. "What are those?" she demanded, interposing herself, ridiculously, between the youth and the dragoness -- not to mention her clutch.

"Relax," the Geperna replied, tongue flicking out as her neck craned about to regard the young man. "That's one of the candid--novos, rather, I sent out a few hours ago. It's about time," she complained, grumpy as a newly brooding mother. "These things have been rocking incessantly since you showed up. Or maybe it was that other boy... it's hard to tell with foolish hatchlings." She gave a whoof of annoyance as one of her eggs jounced against her belly, and she shoved it forward. "Behave, you'll have your time in the sun!"

The human woman did not seem quite as nonchalant. "Then what are the daggers for?"

"Oh, let him through, for Spider's sakes," Netwi'Suah retorted. "Come here," she told Lakuyko.

"What do you think of these?" the young man asked, putting the daggers on display to best catch and throw the scintillation of the sun that was beginning to dip low in the sky.

Nelli, still frowning, peered at the blades as Netwi'Suah eyed the weapons. "Worthy of any dragon's hoard," she announced, self-satisfied more than anything.

"You're letting this righteous little git bond one of your children?" the woman hissed at her bond.

"It's that or farmer's daughters," Netwi'Suah retorted, crossing her arms over her chest, eyes a-twinkle.

"I'm sorry," Nelli turned on the young man, crossing her frail looking arms over her chest, "but you don't strike me as the sort who gives much care to newborns."

Lakuyko, annoyed at this sudden obstacle after so many months of waiting, replied, "and why is that?" He hefted his blades... she was really no threat, but at the same time, Netwi'Suah was the woman's bond. What if there was a last-second change of heart? Lakuyko scowled -- if he was barred from the Geperna's clutch, there was no telling when he'd bond... if he ever did. And if he thought that being dumped in SULA to wile away his sorry life was depressing, at least the canyon-city wasn't built mostly with wooden and stone huts.

"Have you ever raised an infant?" Nelli asked, gesturing to the human as though his machismo were enough to defend her point.

Lakuyko replied, "I can do whatever it takes. Watch," he demonstrated. The egg that Netwi had rolled out from under her had come within reach. Now, jouncing, it bumped against his boot and Lakuyko dropped to one knee. He wedged the point of his blade into one of the recently formed cracks, wedging it open... a small head popped out, but in the process the young man's blade nicked her sopping wet muzzle. It was hard to see the red of the youngling's blood against the shimmering red of her hide, however... the sharp scratch flamed up against Lakuyko's own cheek, and the youth hissed. ::That hurt, you numbwit,:: a youthful voice sounded in his mind. ::Why don't you give that blade to me? It's my present, isn't it?:: The dragonet was doing good work of breaking herself out of the shell regardless of the damage. With a furious few kicks of her hind legs, she was free, uncoiling vibrantly red wings and tail as she wobbled up onto her feet. ::Feed me now,:: the red Geperna demanded, regal. The look was somewhat marred as she lapped at her own muzzle painfully.

Name: Lanait'Neey
Colour: Kagayaki Red
Height: 7'
Abilities: Psionics (Telepathy, Teleportation), Modified Red Fyre (Red Glowing Breath Weapon: A blast of intensely warm red light that can either warm a target area to comfortable or very uncomfortable temperatures, depending on the length of the time the beam is used.)
Personality: Fierce, Protective, Single-Minded

That night, Lakuyko and his young charge, Lanait'Neey, had been put up in the Tiro's building. It was a well-heated lodge steeped in the scene of cedar planks, the floors and walls polished to an amber shine. Other Tiros had been set up in the barracks-like room as well, though Lanait wanted nothing to do with them. She had picked an alcove far from the other young dragonriders and demanded that Lakuyko set up there. She didn't want anyone else stealing him away, she said. She didn't want him stealing away her prized hoard, either, for she demanded that Lakuyko tuck his daggers under her couch, and further demanded that he wasn't to touch them unless his life depended upon it, or else she'd give him a reason for his life to depend upon it. She was quite the little bully, but she assured the young man that she had his best interests at heart. Lanait'Neey had, apparently, skipped the stage of youthful innocence in favour of the all-knowing genius of the recently pubescent.

Lakuyko had not liked the barracks setup much more than his new bond did, but it was hard to protest when the Decurio was a twenty-foot tall hulk of a dragon just waiting for the young man to smack talk around. The Decurio's helper, a robotic woman who said little, at best, had not given him much to work with when he'd hoped to argue a separate bit of housing. Never the less, once Lanait had settled him in, Lakuyko had taken some time to drift off to sleep. The sharp pain that woke him was completely out of the blue -- or black, as it were. It was as dark as the middle of the night, and the young man couldn't see a thing. The Nidus seemed to shut down roughly after supper, and there were only a few pinpricks of light over the doors of his outward-facing alcove window from the tenants across the street. Coming too, the human felt another sharp scratch of pain across his nose. "What's going on?" he hissed.

He found out soon enough as Lanait hissed and a rosy glow of fiery light emitted from between her teeth. A second dragonet was illuminated, pinned under the red Geperna's paws. Both of them were scrapping like kittens, the latter black enough to fade into obscurity the moment that Lanait paused to take another breath. ::One of those is mine,:: the new dragonet demanded, kicking violently at Lanait with her hind claws.

::He got them for me:: Lanait retorted, maw gaping. Now a faint light was broiling up again from her throat.

"Stop it!" the human had dropped to his knees, imposing himself between the two Geperna dragonets, physically pushing them apart. "Who are you?" he demanded, glaring down at the little, shimmering black creature.

::I'm your bond,:: the black replied, ::unlike this pretender. And I don't even want those stinking daggers. I want gold and if you expect me to stick around, you'd better get it quick.:: golden radiance cascaded through his thoughts as Lait'Neey reinforced her verbal demands.

This was ridiculous. Lakuyko had no need for two bonds... but these two dragonets were both latched firmly to his mind already, and besides, if he had two, that would more than make up for his long wait. Genetic pools be damned, he had an opportunity here... so long as Lait and Lanait didn't rip one another's throats out first...

Name: Lait'Neey
Colour: Kagayaki Black
Height: 9'
Abilities: Psionics (Telepathy, Teleportation), Modified Black Fyre (Black Fluid Breath Weapon: Sprays a black fluid which encases anything touched in a preservative membrane, much like a tar pit.)
Personality: Brutish, Ambitious
delyar
Dragon

Post by delyar »

I love these girls! They are fantastic and totally work with him being a belligerent jerk. :D Oh I am so excited.

EDIT: And they are up!
http://characters.lambeosaurine.com/30-gryph/
I just used your version of the story because it was so in character. :)
Last edited by delyar on Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Character Listing
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

Glad you like. :3 Lakuyko's refreshingly horrible~
delyar
Dragon

Post by delyar »

Yeah, I realized my guys are generally all really nice and decided to deviate from that. I didn't refresh before editing, so see above about them being up and me using your story. :)

Going to let somebody else snatch up some Geperna. For all that Lakuyko doesn't care about the gene pool, I think having 4 Geperna with the same mom is enough! (Especially since 5/550 is 9% of my total dragons.)
Character Listing
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

O_o For some reason when I check Lakuyko's page, I don't see it updated. Any chance that you updated but didn't upload his specific page?

Also, they've been out for a while, but just thought I'd update with the latest Landwerlen batch! There are a totally of eight kits who are intrigued by the Nexus. Most of them want to sneak off with novos who are either fire or ice themed (or both, if you want to get super cliched. :P) Most will sponsor, but one or two might have gotten their paws on a bonding scroll when the Archmaegera wasn't looking.
delyar
Dragon

Post by delyar »

Should be fixed now! I wouldn't be surprised if I'd blanked on actually uploading it.

EDIT: Holy crap those Landwerlens are super pretty!
Character Listing