Fantasy Book - Gemstones?

Sometimes you just want to express your opinions and have a healthy debate with your friends, but anything that turns into deliberate attacks/flaming will be shut down. Don't take anything personally, remember that we're all friends, and remember it's your choice if you start reading. :)

Moderators: Mystic Dragon, Xalia, Shard

Fantasy Book - Gemstones?

Post by Guest »

Okay, so this has been bugging me for months. I have to characters, that I started writing a long time ago (well, actually, they were one of the last ones I wrote... so 4-5 years ago? perhaps?)... ANYWAYS... these two were inspired, I thought, by a book I'd read, but I cannot for the life of me remember what this book was, or anything more then a very basic memory.

A coming of age ritual, was that gemstones were put along a persons spine. The more gems, the more powerful the person as I recall (magicwise? but even that I'm not sure of).

I know it's a huge longshot, but I was wondering if anyone else had a clue what books I'm thinking of. (It is possible it all came from a dream instead, but I find that less likely).
Xenoqueen
Great Wyrm

Post by Xenoqueen »

I know a trilogy, Anne Bishop's Black Jewels, wherein gemstones represent a person's magical aptitude, but they're not along the spine. Also it's color, not number.

Post by Guest »

Yeah, it's definitely not Black Jewels... I know that series inside and out. I am wondering if it was a mix of that with something though... melding in my head... lol.