How many options per month?

Poll ended at Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:14 am

One theme per month is fine.
83%
Two theme options per month, please.
17%

Total votes: 12

Post by Guest »

I have another idea for the themes.. The periodic table of elements. A lot of these elements have very unique properties :D
Unyko
Dragon

Post by Unyko »

Dray wrote:So we'd have to follow the theme that's selected from the month if we want to participate, right? O_o How will the various themes work if someone wants to write instead of draw? XD Forgive me if I sound dense: I'm really slow today.
Dray: I want to say yes, but because the themes will be so broad and the requirements so open, the end result can be pretty much whatever you want. XD Basically 'take this thing (music/photo/animal/season/whatever) and use it as an inspiration for your dragon! :D' So a feline theme could end up with lion-like fu-dog!dragons, little kitten dragons, or even just dragons with cat markings. A winter theme could be dragons that are adapted for cold weather, or have white in their coloration, or have some sort of winter/ice/snow-themed abilities.

Does that make sense? ^.^; And/or is that broad enough to allow for personal interpretation/artistic license?

Writing would be about the same. Take this thing and write a story that's inspired by it. Song lyrics are easy, here. And photos. (At least, they would be easy for -me- to make a story from... I dunno about anyone else.. ^.^;)
eccentricbirdie wrote:I have another idea for the themes.. The periodic table of elements. A lot of these elements have very unique properties :D
Hey, I never woulda thought of that.. hmmm.. you've got a point there, too. X3 This could be fun! *imagines a hydrogen!dragon, or a radium!dragon* XD
Image... Image ... Image

Post by Shard »

How about two per month, that way we can just decide, and then do the other later if it comes up again? That way folks can dodge a bullet a few times. :D
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
Unyko
Dragon

Post by Unyko »

I guess I could pick the first and second most popular options and let people choose their favorite... but I had been planning on only using an option once, and then removing it from the list, so we don't have repeats. ^.^; Would it still be best to have two options if they'd both be taken out of the running after being chosen for a monthly theme?
Image... Image ... Image

Post by Guest »

I would think one theme would be sufficient especially if they are broad themes and especially if they are going to be eliminated. (repeats are boring! hehe)
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

XD I'd love to see loldragons as a theme, somehow... maybe next April Fools, or some other appropriately silly day?
Unyko
Dragon

Post by Unyko »

*snicker* Yeah, that'd be fun for April Fools. X3 If this ends up running long enough to reach next April, I'll totally use that theme. :D

And as for the one/two themes per month, I'm gonna go set up a poll. Let you people decide. XD
Image... Image ... Image

Post by Dray »

Hey, Unyko, do you still have the list of themes that were not turned into the month's giveaways, yet?

I was wondering... maybe we could reboot this, but perhaps, if people wanted, we could do it Gather-style where the dragons created for the month were put into a hat and distributed randomly? Then, if you had a more rare version, people could ask for them specifically?

That takes away a bit from the idea of getting to pick and choose colours and patterns, though we could set it up so that we have a thread where the creators ask "GIVE ME COLOURS/PATTERNS/ELEMENTS/ETC!" and participants can give them out, and then whomever's in charge of the giveaway can make sure to match them up! The person in charge of that month's giveaway could also put up a thread with the blacked-out previews, if you guys wanted to run things with a hint of spoiler?

Anyways, just tossing some ideas out. I liked these a lot and felt that some of the dragons that came out of them were fascinating and original. It would be keen to see more -- perhaps making it possible to make a mix of purebreed wilds and offspring/clutches, or something like that!

Also, I think that it would be a great thing for me to think up some pureblood dragons, which I could then advertise on deviantart and perhaps other places to draw in some new blood. X3 I feel a little odd giving away offspring, because I think newbies probably get inundated with all of the info that goes with them!
Starburst
Ancient Dragon

Post by Starburst »

^ seconded.

I miss the monthly giveaways a lot.
Molly
Meridian Weyr | Caer Nova | Perigee Castle | Starfall Dragonry
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

I do too. I still have my gem/zodiac ones that I need to finish and get out :(
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
Unyko
Dragon

Post by Unyko »

Awu, you guys really wanna start it up again? I'd actually been thinking about it a lot, recently. And yes, I do still have the list. :3

You've got some awesome ideas there, Dray. :D I like the idea of a gather-style giveaway. And as for people and their colors/etc.. preferences, that can be a field to fill out in the signup, so we can match appropriate dragons with people that'll like 'em. (So someone who despises the color yellow doesn't get matched to a bunch of yellow dragons, and so forth.)

And now, some questions of my own. ^.^
Would you still want me to run the thing, or does someone else wanna take over? Also, would you like to keep running it once per month, or would you rather have it be every two months? (Or have them overlap a bit, run every month and continuing on for two months, so that the next theme starts halfway through the previous round, giving people who take longer some time to finish the one theme, but also people who get their dragons finished quickly something else to work on the next month?)
Image... Image ... Image

Post by Starburst »

I'd volunteer to take over but we all know how reliable I am... >.>

And I'd say have them overlap a bit, considering that the Nexus has been kind of slow as of late. Gather-style sounds pretty awesome but I feel like I said that already... yeah. I'm excited either way XD
Molly
Meridian Weyr | Caer Nova | Perigee Castle | Starfall Dragonry
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

Lessee... Week 1: voting commences!
Week 2: final result displayed, second place goes back into the pool for next month (if I recall correctly!)
Week 3-4: drawing of images commences; those who wish to give their images out on their own have until the end of week 6 to make their adoption threads!
Week 5: Collection of images commences
Week 6: Signups commence; dispersal of images; voting on the next round begins!

That'd make it about a month and a half, with a good two weeks to draw things!

I'd like to help out if possible! Maybe we could switch off who does the collection and dispersal parts, since I know that would probably take a lot of itme?
Unyko
Dragon

Post by Unyko »

So am I seeing that week one and week six would overlap? That's a pretty awesome timeline, too. *ponder* As I'm seeing it, there would basically be a whole month to draw.. which is awesome.

Here's what I'm reading out of that, broken up a bit further:

Days 1-7 (wk 1): voting
End of Day 7, beginning of Day 8 (end of wk 1, beginning of wk 2): results posted; once people see the results, they can start on their entries.. there doesn't need to be a whole week devoted to this ^.^;
Days 8-35 (wks 2-5): drawing/release of individual adoptions - images for mass giveaway due by the end of day 35 (end of wk 5)
Days 29-35 (wk 5): colletion of images for mass giveaway (I would also suggest the signups for the giveaway also start here)
Days 36-42 (wk 6): dispersal of images, wk 1 voting for next round

Yes? No?

And the whole switching off thing sounds like a FANTASTIC idea. :D Should we start week 1 the first week of January? *excited*
Image... Image ... Image

Post by Shard »

It sounds fine to me! I would love to continue making things... :)
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

That sounds great to me! whomever's in charge of the gather-style giveaway can also be in charge of reminders: "HEY GUYS, if you're giving stuff away, now's the time to start!"
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

Hey folks, I'm in charge of this month's dragon-draw -- I'll be putting three options up to a vote shortly here, but I just wanted to remind you that if you have any suggestions for themes, please add them to this thread! There is a list of current ones in the first post by Unyko, just for reference if need be!