Dragon ACEO trade?

Got an idea? Share it here!

Moderators: Mystic Dragon, Xalia, Shard

Fuzzy
Dragon

Dragon ACEO trade?

Post by Fuzzy »

Hey everyone. :3

So I just got 4 little packages of ACEO-sized Strathmore paper for $2 each (the size won me over >0< ), and it reminded me of how badly I miss/loved the WTF dragons and the monthly exchanges and everything.

So it got me wondering.

Who here'd be interested in an ACEO-dragon-trade? Or any adoptable-critter ACEO trade? (I still love my Ojee/Ferojilon, but thanks to website scamming and IRL issues, haven't been able to bring 'em back and just cram 'em out. And the last couple rounds of 'em I had, no one seemed interested.)

It's an idea. :3 I'm itching to bust out the markers, inks, colored pencils and sparkly pens. (Primarily the sparkly pens. XD )

Dragons would be unique, and possibly 'breedable' with other ACEOdragons/critters/what have you. :3 They're small and semi-quick to do, and I figure the back as having a little family tree one could fill in as they bred, if we ever bred them w/ each other. (Otherwise, this'd just be a cute, fun ACEO-critter-trade thing, with date/name/etc on the back.)

Any interest? ^oo>

~CD
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Process:

1) Doodle up some dragons on small papers! (This can be solid-white index cards, any paper cut down to a smallish size that doesn't bend too easy, or ACEO papers (2.5" x 3.5")

2) Have fun! Make a pair and give 'em offspring, or just doodle randoms. Give 'em abilities, too, if they have 'em, and write them on the back, their name, gender, your name, a date, the number ACEO this is (dragon 1, 2, 3, 4billion, etc). A family tree could also come in handy.
Draw 'em by hand, print out outlines you drew into the PC, use whatever media you feel like!

3) Post 'em if you got 'em! See who wants to trade you for the equal number you're giving. If you have four, and two people want two of them each, you receive two ACEOs from each person.

4) Mail time! PM the people you're trading with and exchange addresses, then mail them out! Confirm when you receive them so the senders don't panic. :)
Hint: if you're worried about bending or water damage, put 'em in a plastic sandwich baggy and write "DO NOT BEND" on the envelope.

Interested People!

CD
Dray (4 available!)
Mud
Shard
Tygryph
Kendarath
Xenoqueen?
Unyko[/b]
Last edited by Fuzzy on Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
<a href="http://oacmagicisle.co.cc/">The OAC!</a>

(Bonding urls pending due to geocities crash... )
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

I'd be interested! :3 I have some cards around somewhere, though they're more like cue-cards instead of the size... so I'd probably need to cut them down. I don't have money to mail them out right now, unless they were in, say, batches... make it worth the sending.

:P It would be neat to get a batch, do some breedings, send a mixture of the breedings and the ones you received to another person... say that you'd have to have the cards on you in order to do the breedings for 'em? That'd be fun!

Let me know what you have in mind. :)
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

What does ACEO mean? I've seen it plenty of times on Deviantart, but... no one has ever said what it is, exactly...
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
Fuzzy
Dragon

Post by Fuzzy »

"Art Cards Editions and Originals". O_o Wonky name, but "ACEO" sounds funny to me (I say "Ah-chay-oh" XD ). Basically an old custom like business card swapping back during the Renaissance or somewhen in midieval times, and now it's for fun/small art trades. =3

I originally looked into a livejournal.com ACEO trading community, but it was invite-only t,t So I've been craving ACEOs for a while. XD
:P It would be neat to get a batch, do some breedings, send a mixture of the breedings and the ones you received to another person... say that you'd have to have the cards on you in order to do the breedings for 'em? That'd be fun!

Let me know what you have in mind. :)
Hmmmmm. ^o.o> Yeah, we could even do a couple per person and then send 'em out to said recipient and get theirs for us. I'm not sure how the breeding would work, in retrospect, yet. [/quote]

Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

I'd imagine that... say you had a couple of dragons that you liked on cards that were mailed to you, you'd draw up a batch of offspring, then mail them out. You could make a batch of starters, or two starters and some offspring, and split them apart as you mailed them out to people. If you were looking for a specific kind of dragon, you could post a note up on the Nexus asking if anyone has it. Then, maybe show off your current collection of dragons and trade an appropriate number back?

It would be neat if there was a system like the Ojee or Ferilon have, with lots of nifty traits... but that might get too complicated. XD Whatever you guys like! (It'd be like a real-life version of the Nexus now. XDD Maybe without the candidates, though!)

Post by Guest »

huh, that would be really cool if we could somehow do big batches of them so everybody has a chance to get one.. printing out linework onto the cards and colouring by hand maybe. That might cheapen the whole "unique art!" aspect of it though :/ either way, I'm interested!
TyGryph
Dragon

Post by TyGryph »

Wow. Ojee. I was just thinking of my Squall this morning (but now I don't remember why I was thinking about it).

This sounds a lot like what I was doing when I was breeding my ojees. (I just found these back in the last week or so...) I printed them on 3X5" index cards, and their stats on the back...

Image Image

How how big is this ACEO-sized paper, Fuzzy?
Kendarath
Dragon

Post by Kendarath »

I think that this would definitely be a cool idea. It's nice to see actual physical pieces of art sometimes. :)

(>.> No I haven't already chopped some Mayfair paper down to size due to happy-muses, of course not.)
ImageImageImageImage
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

I'm'a do a batch of these for shits and giggles tonight. I'll scan and post them in a bit! :D

Any ideas for me while I'm working on some?
Fuzzy
Dragon

Post by Fuzzy »

I'm having a huge nostalgia streak now. >-<

PS: Phoenix, if you read this, a friend of mine was mentioning she missed your website and wanted to fix her Ojee's pedigrees, but your Ojee went MIA from the 'net. XD I know I'm askin' a lot, but if you have the info pages, we'd both be much obliged.
huh, that would be really cool if we could somehow do big batches of them so everybody has a chance to get one.. printing out linework onto the cards and colouring by hand maybe. That might cheapen the whole "unique art!" aspect of it though :/ either way, I'm interested!
No it wouldn't!! You're still putting time and effort into it. :)

ACEO paper is small! 2.5" x 3.5". :)

@Ty: that's so cool that you printed 'em!! ^_^

I'm gonna see if I can get me my Ojee site back.... *prods Geocities thoughtfully*[/quote]

Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

Also, Ty, that's freaking cool. :D What a good idea!

I also like the idea of scanning things in and colouring them up and then printing them out again... I think a mixture would be pretty sweet.

Dude, you guys have me sidetracked into thinking about this now! *jovial fistshakes*
Fuzzy
Dragon

Post by Fuzzy »

xD woohooo! *shakes fist back at you* I knew you'd like this kind of crazy stuff! x33

I'm also thinking that any ACEOs can have a background or lack thereof- it's all up to the artist.

Good news on a random note: Magic Isle will be up online sometime tomorrow for whatever you guys might need it for 0.o A friend of mine found a spot to host it free for me :)

And I still have the images of all the ojee everyone ever made. ^^ Includin' yours Dray >:3 <3 And yes, I still love 'em!

Maybe we can extend the ACEO trade to categories...

Category:
Dragons (I could even offer some from my own dragonry, come to think about it... )
Ojee
Ferojilon
Salir
Yibbatith
(Your critters here!)
Last edited by Fuzzy on Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

I'm happy with dragons at the moment. O_o I just 'finished' the first one and it's pretty darned tiny! I'm not sure if I'm doing it right (do we want the names on the front, or is all the writing on the back?)
Fuzzy
Dragon

Post by Fuzzy »

XD Yeah, they're pretty small :D

Dragons is fine =3 I'm happy for any of the above. xD;

Writing on the back is preferable, so it puts more focus on the critter.

I wanna see! xD

Xenoqueen
Great Wyrm

Post by Xenoqueen »

Fuzzy wrote: PS: Phoenix, if you read this, a friend of mine was mentioning she missed your website and wanted to fix her Ojee's pedigrees, but your Ojee went MIA from the 'net. XD I know I'm askin' a lot, but if you have the info pages, we'd both be much obliged.
I do still have aaaaallll my Ojee and files and whatnot, and a place for them on the web--that I never finished updating to my new "style" of webpage given the community flopped. :P

The Sanctum still exists ( http://xenoqueen.deviant-uprising.com/Sanctum/index.htm ) but the Ojee section is quite not-uploaded. >_>
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

How's this?

Am I doing it right? XD What should I put on the back?
Fuzzy
Dragon

Post by Fuzzy »

O.O;; you just did that just now!?

[dies of sheer awe]

Wow. @_@

You could put like... Born at Dray's house or something, with a date and/or "ACEO 1" or something. =3

Kendarath
Dragon

Post by Kendarath »

Maybe something to do with abilities as well? In case any of us feel the urge to draw them breathing fire etc? Then we know what kinds of abilities we have to play with?

*is having trouble drawing small enough to get the whole dragon on the card* XD
ImageImageImageImage
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

Woot, I'll do that! :3

I'm having trouble, too. :x Maybe if we bumped up the size a bit (like Ty's ojee cards) or didn't worry too much about size, it'd be a little easier? I've got some cue-cards which are a better size for this!

Abilities coming up... along with a second dragon! XD I'm going to try to draw some offspring from these two and then maybe another new one. These are fun!
Fuzzy
Dragon

Post by Fuzzy »

XD I'm gonna be sticking to my 2.5 x 3.5 paper since I got it (and suck at bigger sizes/have a bias with index cards), but as long as it's a smallish paper that people are comfortable with using, that'll be fine. :D

@Kendarath: That's a GREAT idea! We should definitely do that :)

@Phee: HI! Thanks for the URL :) Upload at your leisure. x3

So how many dragons/critters should each person get in their trade? Should it be even? (ex: I draw 2, whoever I'm trading with gives me 2)

Should it be randomly done??

Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

I think that we should decide numbers on a case by case basis. "How many do you have? I have three... I can trade you whatever!" :3 That way people don't feel pressured to have to draw a tonne to trade back and forth. We could do individuals and batch-sets... whatever people are comfortable with.
Fuzzy
Dragon

Post by Fuzzy »

That'd be fun. :D

How do we know when to send them out? (ie: to avoid any "you-send-first"s that might not reciprocate with their own)

PMing addresses would be suitable for privacy, though.

Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

I haven't done ACEO's before... the mailing part, at least. XD I'd imagine that giving addresses via PM and telling people the date that you're planning on mailing them ahead of time would be the best bet!
Kendarath
Dragon

Post by Kendarath »

And we have the benefit of at least sort of knowing the people that we'll be doing the trading with, or at least knowing where they hang out, so we can ask them what's up if they do forget.
ImageImageImageImage
Fuzzy
Dragon

Post by Fuzzy »

Yup. =) Always a good thing. Hopefully we'll never have any blacklisting!

Uh. How do we determine who to start off with again? XD

Edit: Darn/ gotta run. Be back tomorrow @ noonish :)
Last edited by Fuzzy on Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

I was thinking that once I have a couple more done, I'd post them up and say, "I'll split these up into batches of two, but no less -- take your pick, and let's trade!" wasn't thinking of doing it in any order!
Kendarath
Dragon

Post by Kendarath »

(am actually Maerwynn due to insane laziness)

I love this. I, unfortunatly, cannot draw anything other than circles and pishos and trianglemen so XP I'll look at Rath's pretty dragons that she receives :D
ImageImageImageImage
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

:P You could team up with Kendarath and suggest kinds of dragons to draw, maybe?

As for me, bazam!

Second super-random dragon. XD I have no idea what I'm doing... they're not really even very pretty. I think I'll do a Pernese Gold next... just for kicks and giggles. :P
Kendarath
Dragon

Post by Kendarath »

:D I like them. The shape of their heads is really fetching, and I especially like the colouring on the second one (shiny!). The tentacley hairy things are cool too :)
ImageImageImageImage
Unyko
Dragon

Post by Unyko »

Oooooo, dragon!doodles! :D I was a little wary of this whole trading thing at first, but... tiny!dragons are always fun to send off/get in the mail. *has been doodling on envelopes/in cards for -years-* XD; And hey, I have a whole pack of little 3x5 cards!
Image... Image ... Image