Welcome!

For general discussions of any sort that don't fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Mystic Dragon, Xalia, Shard, JKatkina

Myrror
Ancient Dragon

Post by Myrror »

Myrror: *pounces on Lilu*

Catdragons: *eye Bunnydragons* >.>
ImageImageImageImageImage

Post by Guest »

*pounced?!* O_o k'oofl!? Hi?

Bunny dragons: *eye cat dragons back*
Poet: *skip over, flirt at nearest catdragon, do cartwheel* ... *WINK!scamperoff*

... *blink?*
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

Hehehe, if I read correctly, the bunnydragons are considerably larger than catdragons, are they not? Or am I misremembering the size of catdragons?
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
Myrror
Ancient Dragon

Post by Myrror »

Catdragons are whorlings. They range in size of housecat to larger than pernese golds. Like most dragon whorlings >.>
ImageImageImageImageImage
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

ixris wrote:Anyway, nice to meet you! :D I plan to be active-ish with Uny for the next couple months, then probably start playing my own tune more towards the new year. Since November exists between now and then. o_o And November owns my soul.
DX The nexus keeps eating my unread-coloured eggs -- I completely missed your reply!

Anyways, busy due to NaNo, or due to school/work?

Post by Guest »

Dray wrote:DX The nexus keeps eating my unread-coloured eggs -- I completely missed your reply!

Anyways, busy due to NaNo, or due to school/work?
Fail on eaten eggs!

o_o do things other than nano exist during November? (I've already warned Uny she's going to be doing the cooking and leaving food objects in front of me. I forget to eat as it is any time I'm writing. I'm really really bad in November. >_>;; )
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

One day I'm going to try NaNo. XD In the past I've always had stupid amounts of school work to contend with -- best of luck ahead of time!

Post by Guest »

Oh, it's fantastic. o__o; I love having to find time to do it. The one year I had a massive paper, several exams, and a full-time job (40 hours, and I miss getting that much. *annoyed growl*).

This year, I've been called out on my Assistant Group Supervisorship (I work in daycare; it means I can do what a teacher with a degree can do just on work experiance, and it annoys me, because now I'm alone with ten kids any given day with no adult interaction until playgroup. XD) so I have lesson plans and stress and trying to meet the bills and rent and still have fun while churning out 50k.

I ... don't think I'll have a problem, but I might not get many books read in the meantime. XD;

You should do it this year, Dray. It's awesome fun!

... *remind self to coerce Uny into it, too* >:3
Unyko
Dragon

Post by Unyko »

*impervious to coercings!* X3

Seriously though. I'm gonna have enough trouble getting used to working again (and feeding the both of us) to come up with any kind of story material. I'm already having trouble finding things to write about for -short- stories, much less 50K.

Unless you think I could get away with completely re-writing my first nano. Or just using nano as an excuse to write a meeeeellioooonnnnn short stories/updates for my already-written stories. *snrk*

Besides, without nano, I can work on coloring dragons and stuff. X3

And also: Yay! Lilu onna Nexus! :D *glee and dance*
Image... Image ... Image

Post by StarFyre »

o/ Lilu.

Nice to hear that someone else is doing Nano as well. Though I'm going to be attempting to juggle class, work, EVE, and writing and make it through. I've done it 2 years out of the 3 I've participated, so I'm hoping for the best this year.
Astra
Ancient Dragon

Post by Astra »

I plan to do NaNo this year :D I'm pumped for it, to be honest. Although the web site is down *single tear* I won NaNo in 2005, but in 2006 I had serious IRL problems, and in 2007 I chose that time to come down with strep and was literally non-functional for almost three weeks. By the time I could drag my sorry behind out of bed, it was WAY too late to catch up. But this year ... I ... Will ... Redeem myself! I still haven't decided what to write, though. I have a couple ideas.
ImageImageImage
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

o.o 50k IS a short story...

fer me.... heheh. :)

I didn't finish one year, but came back the next with enough to fill that gap up so I don't feel so bad about it. I always do another chunk of my history of the World of Zekira for my rpg background, and I know where it's heading now - since it's a 10 thousand year history and all, it's kind of long. Long. With a lot of begetting, since it follows one family line the whole time. But they'll be immortal soon. Well, one of them, heh. Finally leading up to the main character... after 5 years....
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

My first win was with the first half of the story of Naalavas and Yuvigon. This year, I'm actually intending on writing the version that is (currently) going to be the version that I want published eventually.

Which, except for the characters, has.. nothing in common with what I wrote the first time through. Blargle.
Astra
Ancient Dragon

Post by Astra »

Heh heh me too. One of my ideas is to write the sequel to my 2005 novel, though so much has changed in the intervening 3 years that I'm going to have to re-write 2005 eventually anyway. It's practically unrecognizeable now. And also even though I reached 50k, I don't think I ever actually finished. 50k was about half way through, sadly -- right when things were getting interesting.

And Shard, yes, I've had a dragonrider story or two that went over 50k, though to be fair, that was including the hatchling, Weyrling, and adult stories.
ImageImageImage

Post by Guest »

*shifty look* I'm nefarious for attempting to be one of the double-nano'ers. Either two plots, or 100k by November 31st. >__> Many of my dragon stories lately approach that infamous 50k. I type fast, and I don't think about what I'm writing, and that's the only way I can operate, or else I stall, stone-cold. e_e;

My first win was back in 2003 (x__x revision, revision, revision in the years since), then again in 2005 ('04 I crashed and burned. XD sophomore slump statistics, go!) where I left the plot at 50k right where the MC got shot in the middle of a battle (personal motto: be mean to your characters. It's entertaining, and makes for good storytelling. >:3 ). In 2006 I wrote almost 140k of death-to-vampires (ashes ashes :D!), and last year I wrote 75k, because my story actually squicked me out so badly I had to stop. o_o;

This year, I know exactly what I WANT to write, but then, what I WANT to write, and what I DO write, it's never the same. >__>; I WANT to write YA Fantasy, but that's so-ho-ho-HO not my genre. x__x Ew. But it's what I want, so it's what I ought to do, y/n? XD

*annoyingly overachiever at nano* ._.; It is my life, sadly.
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

@_@ You guys are amazing, you know that? I just want to remind you in case you ever thought otherwise.

XD And you are severely tempting me... even if I'm not a very good or prolific writer.

I'd be interested to see chunks of a 1 or 2K words at a time uploaded this year for sharing purposes! :o That'd be fun!

Post by Guest »

I would upload if I wasn't seriously working at being published one day. I welcome people to read my drafts, though, since feedback is fucking wonderful, and I need what help and opinions I can get.

But really, you ought to nano this year. That's the entire POINT of nano. It's to give you the "time" you "never had" to write that story you've been wanting to do. It says "you have november. you can take Thanksgiving off. The rest of the time you have to write 1725 words (1667 if you do your quota turkey day, too, or don't celebrate it :D ), and you can do that! That's less than 2 hours every day.

Doooo iiiitttt. Doooooo iiiiiit. XD *TEMPT!*
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

As with Lilu, I'm for srsly trying to get published (and not taking myself too serious in the process =P I know the odds of actually getting published, thus, I'm going to write for myself first and enjoy the damn process). ^^ But also as with her, people reading my drafts is <3.

And sometimes "less than two hours a day" is much, much more time than I, as a college student who's also working to support myself and my fiance (he's working longer hours than me, to be honest), has. But hey, I'mma give it a shot. The challenge motivates me to start writing ^^

Post by Guest »

StarFyre wrote:As with Lilu, I'm for srsly trying to get published (and not taking myself too serious in the process =P I know the odds of actually getting published, thus, I'm going to write for myself first and enjoy the damn process). ^^ But also as with her, people reading my drafts is <3.

And sometimes "less than two hours a day" is much, much more time than I, as a college student who's also working to support myself and my fiance (he's working longer hours than me, to be honest), has. But hey, I'mma give it a shot. The challenge motivates me to start writing ^^
W00t! Potential writers of the world ... uh, do something! XD *STRIKEAPOSE!*

As for the giving-yourself-less-time-than-that-thing, there's always lunch and less sleep (you're in college, you don't need sleep. XD) and... oh, these are bad ideas most students already do to themselves. X3 Good luck with your pursuit, StarFyre. :D
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

Out of curiosity, has anybody ever set up a round-robin type NaNo where you pass some writing back and forth? XD I think it'd be fun to write that much every other day, then get the next 'chapter' to read and reply to. X333

Post by Guest »

I really love round-robins, but they're against the rules of nanowrimo. :D I used to do them with RL friends in that year I spent pretending I attended college (le sigh. XD). Most of this is because I love sharing characters with people and things like that. There's that air of "SURPRISE!!! you didn't think mary was a carpenter in a past-life, did you? :D! HOW USEFUL!" that you don't get much anywhere else. XD
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

Just wondering if someone could sticky a post with the Newbie Help Guide somewhere in General? o.o I -think- it's in the welcome forum, but it'd be nice to have it somewhere that we can easily see, too! Might help new folks get adjusted a little quicker (and if more people access it, maybe it will get more editing and stuff! :D)
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

I was wondering, about the mods... two of the three of them aren't around anymore for most of these forums. Can I propose that we take Mystic and Xalia off of the list? XD
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

I'd kinda like to propose that Dray be promoted :)

Also there IS a new member out there that I just recruited from DA. :D

Hopefully she'll be here and approved for use, soon!
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
JKatkina
Ancient Dragon

Post by JKatkina »

Shard wrote:I'd kinda like to propose that Dray be promoted :)

Also there IS a new member out there that I just recruited from DA. :D

Hopefully she'll be here and approved for use, soon!
Seconding this proposal!
Image Image Image Image
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

I do sort of lurk moar, don't I? XD I am not the most amazing mod when it comes to conflict, but I suppose that we really don't have to worry much about that, these days!
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

Most I've modded in the last .. I dunno, year or so, is removing duplicate posts. :)
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
AnilyxStormsword
Egg

Re: Welcome!

Post by AnilyxStormsword »

Hi everyone!

Under a different name, this is Tai (if you all remember me). I see very familiar names here! Quachir and Shard and Yakima, Xalia and a few others as well! :D How are you all doing? Glad to see a lot of the old members are around. Wow, I didn't think anyone was still at this. I'm going to have to get a few candidates and such written up. Hope all is well with everyone. It's great to be back.

Weyrwoman Tai
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

I think I may have only shown up after your participation, though it's really neat to meet folks who were doing Weyr-based adoption things before I joined the Nexus. :D I hear that Yakima's kind of busy with school, though there's a frenzy of Pernese dragons over here, (The forum thread with updates and such is here!) if you're looking for Pernese-style dragons.

As for the other active fare on the forum right now, I'm also running a forum-based ongoing event in this thread where I give away a variety of species of dragon, sometimes as a straight-up 'sign up and get one for free', sometimes as rewards for events. I'll keep the first post updated with the current clutches available; just post at the end of the thread with a candidate and which clutch you'd prefer to participate in.

I know that a bunch of folks are busy with school at the moment, so there will probably be more happening in a couple of weeks. Starfall Dragonry only has two eggs left from its first wild clutch of Asana dragons -- the corresponding thread is here. Kitsuneko's Fauna Frenzy is still open, I think, though she mentioned that she was pretty busy at the moment with school! (The forum thread is here for that. X3) Lastly, there's the annual Winter Gather that's underway. Feel free to submit dragon or pet images that are winter themed along with other folks, and they'll be mixed up and given out around about the middle of January!
Kitsuneko
Ancient Dragon

Post by Kitsuneko »

FFFFFffffffff, I know I recognize the name, I just can't quite place which Weyr you ran! XP Welcome back, anyway. As Dray said, the Fauna Frenzy is open and accepting candidates if you don't mind a short wait; I probably won't be working on it until after next week when I finish finals.
Darkling Dawn: Fauna Frenzy Open to candidates; flights open to males/females; rukel eggs/breedings available.
Drockh-Tallahn Castle: 3 eggs, 2 available. Females and males needed.
Sgiath Wolfkeep: 7 pups available
Sedona Weyr: 12 eggs, Deadline March 8. Chasers and a female needed.