Impression and Anne's Pern.

For general madness of any sort. Check your sanity at the door.

Moderators: Mystic Dragon, Xalia, Shard

Rachael
Dragon

Post by Rachael »

Shard wrote:Heh then there's the whole "in 2500 years and who knows how many actual clutches, only ONE mutant survived".

Yah. Right. After you GENETICALLY ENGINEERED them to be mutants in size and emotive states... uhuh.
Exactly. Someone over in another forum was arguing that Ruth was a sport because he was broken out of his egg, and he was the only one broken out of his egg. BULLSHIT. Anne's books have clear examples of dragons simply not hatching, and while some are deformed, others are entirely perfectly formed. Others lack the strength to break shell - and with help, a perfectly healthy BRONZE was hatched in "Ever the Twain." Ruth is a bullshit answer to a bullshit cause of trying to get the all perfect Jaxom to be both a rider and a holder - and a RUATHAN TOO. He is thus the most powerful individual on Pern. His dragon times perfectly, doesn't respond to mating flights, doesn't impeed Jaxom's own sexual drive, doesn't really criticize Jax, probably knits for fun, and can carry four full grown adults no problem.

And he's Ruathan. I'm sorry, but that whole Ruathans being specialer than most other people? I don't like XD
Astra
Ancient Dragon

Post by Astra »

He's also only like 1/8 Ruathan and inherited the Hold on a technicality like his father before him (I'm not sure if it was 1/8, actually, I don't have a copy of Dragonflight with me, but it was some small percentage), and even then only because the only real member of the Ruathan royal family left had to go off to become Weyrwoman. Hmph. I also don't understand why Lessa was a sympathetic character in Dragonflight and then from the second book on she's represented as a psychotic bitch, but that's an argument for another day.

And we are far from the original topic. Point is, they ALL HAD ORGASMS! :lol:
ImageImageImage
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

If my next dragon was Gordon Freeman I'd be having way more than that :)
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
DNS
Ancient Dragon

Post by DNS »

Dray wrote:Anne's Pern is severely fucked up. :(

It'd be so cool to see all sexual-preference spectrum people riding all different colours -- shouldn't it only really matter what the dragon likes, since they mention that the rider can take different partners for his/herself anyways; or none at all?

:P Just do some heavy meditation, ala Vulcans, and y'all'd be just fine!
IT is. Man, I hate canon pern. I always played noncanon when I roleplayed it, becuase it's just.. so much more interesting. It always offended people, for some reason, even though I kept it to the people who also enjoyed noncanon. strangeness. :D
Even accepted and valid MOO's ignore canon rather frequently. :D Saw it all the time on Harper's Tale, which is what I always think of when i think of pernese MOOstyle rp. :D Anne's pern is impossible to work. It changes every goddamn book anyway, so I have no idea how people keep up with what's canon and what's not. :3
I've always had hellamorefun on my little fucked up version of pern anyway. Whoo for noncanon.

I'm always a little bit amused, too, by the whole concept of switching people out during mating flights. Half the time, Anne seems to hate the concept and be morally offended by it, but once you mention that bronzes fly greens and men ride both greens and bronzes, she suddenly changes her mind and says that, oh, no, it's just the bronze that mates with the green, the bronzerider always sleeps with some chick from the lower caverns or some shit.
Rachael
Dragon

Post by Rachael »

DNS wrote:Half the time, Anne seems to hate the concept and be morally offended by it, but once you mention that bronzes fly greens and men ride both greens and bronzes, she suddenly changes her mind and says that, oh, no, it's just the bronze that mates with the green, the bronzerider always sleeps with some chick from the lower caverns or some shit.
Remember, only Manly Men Impress Bronze. And everyone's sexuality is defined as straight or gay. And everyone wants to be raped. Period, end of sentence, that is how you get to be a Weyrwoman girls, and if you don't like it... Impress a Wher. 8D
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

XD Fuckit. Let's neuter them all and call it a day!
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

I really want Ty's girls-only clutch to hatch...
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

:O I didn't know she had one of those!
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

Yeah and I've got a perfect, perfect perfect girl (or two) for it, that I've essentially finished, and ... kinda waiting it out to see if it'll be run... I dont' even know how many or who else has applied.
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
Rachael
Dragon

Post by Rachael »

Such a clutch exists? Oh, purr. Purr.
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

Yeah. I think we need to pester Ty when she gets back over the weekend? :D
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

>.> Might have something to do with the Flurry? D:
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

Nope. This is the "pernese all female candidate" thing which I think she wanted to clear out some of the existing normal sands first. Asked me in the thread (the bonus points thread, what it was called I forget) whether I had anyone pernese for breeding to it, which I do. :)
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
Shadow
Dragon

Post by Shadow »

Not to derail the topic, but I had to say this. Has anyone ever noticed that in the first book, DragonFlight I believe, she switches Canth's color between bronze and brown? I mean, one page he's a small bronze and the next he's a brown, and in the index at the back he's labeled as a brown. Also, in I think DragonSinger, he's really really big.
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

All I remember is that he was huge for a brown. Maybe she hadn't made up her mind in the early stages and didn't edit it out?
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

In the dlg2p they list it as both, I recall that because I actually wrote a web page with all the already-canon names, while we didn't want to overlap them in pernese cyberpetting.
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
DNS
Ancient Dragon

Post by DNS »

Shadow wrote:Not to derail the topic, but I had to say this. Has anyone ever noticed that in the first book, DragonFlight I believe, she switches Canth's color between bronze and brown? I mean, one page he's a small bronze and the next he's a brown, and in the index at the back he's labeled as a brown. Also, in I think DragonSinger, he's really really big.
They also state Mnementh as having scales in dragonflight, too. :D maybe it;s ust the fact that i have a really really old copy, but in the first few chapters? the dragons have scales. and the wher is nothing like whers in later books. that wher was my favorite character for the longest time.
._.

the first few chapters of Dragonflight were also a standalone story, before she made a novel out of them. ._.
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

the first few chapters of Dragonflight were also a standalone story, before she made a novel out of them. ._.
That would do it right there. XD

I remember reading several stand-alones that authors have turned into novels and were completely changed around... give 'em time to sort things out (or in Anne's case, to make a bigger mess of that tangled skein of yarn? :P) and things look a lot different!
Rachael
Dragon

Post by Rachael »

Anne was pushed to make the first few chapters into a novel by publishers, which makes sense because they capitalized, but is sad because they create an interestingly rocky beginning.

And by the lols, they're rereleasing the Dragonriders of Pern series as a young adult series, meaning they've dumbed it down, so kids of today don't read like kids of yesterday. *headdesk*
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

o.o How did they dumb it down? D:
Rachael
Dragon

Post by Rachael »

I refuse to read to find out XD

Take out the dubious rape/sex scenes?
Xalia
Great Wyrm

Post by Xalia »

DNS wrote:the first few chapters of Dragonflight were also a standalone story, before she made a novel out of them. ._.
That's actually how I discovered Pern...read the short story that became Dragonflight in an anthology of fantasy stories back when I was in high school. XD
Kilandaia
Tripaldi Weyr
TSCZ
Jurizlandia-Coming Soon
Astra
Ancient Dragon

Post by Astra »

Lol neat. I actually found out about the Dragonriders of Pern through cyberadoption, as dumb as that sounds. There was some Weyr ages and ages ago that had really nice dragons, and so I was interested in making candidates, and had no idea what this whole "Pern" business was about. I ended up reading the Harper Hall trilogy first. They're still my favorites of the series. Anne's writing style is too slow moving for my taste, but in such a short medium she really had no choice but to refrain from boring me to death. Granted, I also liked All the Weyrs of Pern because it had dragonriders in space suits /hangs head in shame.
ImageImageImage

Post by Guest »

Rachael wrote:And by the lols, they're rereleasing the Dragonriders of Pern series as a young adult series, meaning they've dumbed it down, so kids of today don't read like kids of yesterday. *headdesk*
o.O
(/parental rant)

I find that truly sad. Society is catering to the lazy, ignorant beasts most of the children of today have become. I actually feel sorry for those kids...stuck in a society where it's ok to be more than semi illiterate because they don't want to make time to sit and read a book more than 100 pages long...

The works of art that have been crated by writers of today and yesterday are being butchered so that whole "No child left behind" crap can say it's working...it is a sad day indeed. :(

What's next, a PG version of Moby Dick where they have to change the title because it's not politically correct enough? *shakes head*
(/end rant)

Had to get that out of my system...do not take offense, please. >.<;;
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

I blame parents for not holding higher standards for their kids. They're actually the lazy ones, imho, since they don't bother to participate, challenge, or do any kind of higher expectations toward their offspring. That's a huge generalization of course, but ... ugh.
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

To be fair, we're "the lazy, ignorant beasts" to our grand and great-grand parents' day, and I'm not sure if there was any generation where children weren't held in disregard (or distress! XD) by their elders!

YEAH WE'RE GETTIN' OLD~!

:P Find a Big Sisters program and read to children; the only way that people (un-developed or not!) will learn is if we're active in teaching!

Post by Guest »

I had a whole other half to my rant...but figured I'd offend someone somehow, heh.

And yeah, it is the parents who are to blame. The children are only the product of their selfishness and unwillingness to bring their children up with discipline and routine...rather they let the kids walk all over them because society has said it's wrong to discipline your children, even in your own home.

I really feel old now, lol. I'm part of that "lazy" generation, and now I see how much damage it has caused. :(

And yeah, even though my daughter is only 8 months old, she's playing with books, not electronic toys. I'm not one of those over zealous mothers who wants their child to be the next Einstein, but I do want her to be literate enough to eventually be able to read and understand the classics without having to turn them into the next Barney book.
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

Semi-back-on-topic: D: People do some weird things to enforce Anne's canon!

I was poking around Acorn Rack again today (yay boredom at work. XD) And some folks have made an m-preg Pern in which all the women have died and ONLY men are left... only some have become manly hermaphrodites?! D: WHAT?!

XDDD That both amuses and highly disturbs me.

Meanwhile Idasu Weyr seems to have the same idea about sexuality and colours: "Sexuality does not play a role in who Impresses what color, and neither does gender"

"(excluding the metallics)."

BOOO.

So close and yet so far from LGBT tolerance. :P
Rachael
Dragon

Post by Rachael »

That's because only gays are tolerated, and only as long as they're not, you know, leading.

I am going to be doing a Pern writing project where the gender bias will hold true, but the sexuality will not. What you do in bed does not correlate to how well equipped you are to lead people. I respect the fact Anne has her own world, but when I choose to play in it, I choose to follow a gender and not sexuality bias. (And that gender bias includes limited men on greens, and women on blues. Booyah!) Given how the most prominent numbers are green and blue, despite what the books explicitly show, I'm not exactly hell bent on getting women on bronzes and browns. The only real advantage comes out for Bronzes as Weyrleader, and Wingleaders, though Blues have been noted as wingleaders and wingseconds. And I argue that early Pern, as in the 1st Pass, had all their tiny dragons flying the length of fall. So greens weren't tiring first, OMFG.

M-Preg Pern just reiterates why I don't like M-Preg. (THe real why is becaus I like things to be well written and not PWP, but most all M-Preg situations I've come across are... PWP.)

Also, to Dracleia: I agree. And I agree that children are lazy, as are parents. I don't think anyone escapes that blame, and I know kids who simply don't want to get into reading because it all bores them, because they're never introduced to topics they like. Having worked with middleschool and highschool kids, this was their largest complaint. And they're largely of hispanic origin (the kids I worked with) and their tastes were so amazingly wide. Some of those kids loved "Of Mice and Men," while others were more up for reading "Zodiac" after the killer and cases in San Fransisco.

I wouldn't be surprised at a PG Moby Dick - but the YA label itself is, like the metaphorical cake, a lie. Kids can understand and interpret and ask questions and also misunderstand and develop by reading works which we might jump up to censor them from. I don't want to - though I probably won't be handing my potential children romance novels with the express hope they find literary value inbetween the sheets. ;D
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

PWP? (Or are you using it in a different context?)

9.9 Tolerance ought to be linked with acceptance, rather than with 'grudging', yaknow?

It'd be interesting to see a Weyr where it was only gender bias, as you're talking about. X3 It'd be rocking to see lesbian Weyrwomen and/or gay Weyrleaders, or anything in the spectrum between. A transgender leader would just be unheard of. XD