Impression and Anne's Pern.

For general madness of any sort. Check your sanity at the door.

Moderators: Mystic Dragon, Xalia, Shard

Rachael
Dragon

Impression and Anne's Pern.

Post by Rachael »

Wow. I didn't know that apparently, due to endorphins milling around like cocaine-enhanced butterflies, as Anne herself put it, "If the kids were old enough, they'd have orgasms."

...Okay, so please, everyone who has ever read Pern, or Impressed a dragon, to your character, or done anything based on Pern, may at least one of you break down laughing with me, because...

Every single person who has Impressed, ever, has orgasmed. As they Impressed.

And Anne? THERE IS NO AGE LIMIT ON ORGASMS. HOLY SHIITE WOMAN, BABYS MASTURBATE BECAUSE OF THE GOOD FEELINGS. THE FETUS PROBABLY ORGASMED WITH SORKA WHEN SHE IMPRESSED. NO WONDER MICHAEL WAS DRAGON CRAZY.

Okay, thank you guys.

And as my boyfriend said, "I like the idea of the rider sleeping with someone later and saying, '... My dragon was better.'"
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

Heh :) Anne's personal bunch of hangups are so blatantly obvious throughout the whole run of her writing. But yeah.

Gasms. :D
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
Rachael
Dragon

Post by Rachael »

I'm just rewriting so much in my head. The pleasure of finding the other half of your mind? Yeah, it's not just mental.

Anne can't decide if people have sex or not. Or if women do or not. Or if men are all secretly gay or not. Or if she's blaming the gender specificity and differences on Japanese culture... or not.

I'm so writing the next Pernese hatching anything I write with lots of gasms. "IT IS CANON ANNE SAID SO~"
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

<.< I burst out laughing the first time I read that... I think she says it somewhere in the Dragonlovers Guide to Pern? Not sure.

Does this mean there's a REASON for the white robes worn by everyone? Besides showing bloodstains better? *giggles*

>.> Some things are far too funny. Anne's sexual repression and confusion makes things so much more amusing at times.
Rachael
Dragon

Post by Rachael »

Oh yes! I mean, come now *sniiiiigger*, any "stains" can easily be bleached out of white robes. And we know those robes are used more than once, each!

I like the fact the Weyr is supposed to be a very sexual place, but like, that's never written, and it's just so stupid XD you can't say dragon mating flights influence everyone then abruptly never have anything interrupted by a green rising. Imagine meetings!

"And so, Lord Holder, we've -aah- decided that the titheeeeeeooooh, ahem, must be maaaaahahahaaaaintained--- You know what? Break for teheheheheeeeeeen~"
DNS
Ancient Dragon

Post by DNS »

mad props to your boyfriend for that line. :D i am still giggling.

everything anne says makes me groan before i read it, because she's serious. But it also brings me much amusement.
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

...Hitch me up for the next cart to the Weyr. XD

Sounds like some kinda free-love commune. X3 Only it's here to SAVE THE PLANET LOL!

Rachael, you gonna write that gasmtastic sauce into YWIAW? *cackle!*
Rachael
Dragon

Post by Rachael »

>3 I fear for the next few dragonets who hatch. *cackles*
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

XD The poor players!

"WHAT JUST HAPPEN'D?!"

At least there are not yet any pesky greens wandering around! :P
Rachael
Dragon

Post by Rachael »

Pfft! Greens are obviously the new gold, because no one seems to be able to Impress them. *hoighty-toighty strut across the stage*
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

:P Maybe they need to be made more subtle questions~?

Can't ones colour change over the course of adult-before-physical trait-changes?
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

Geddeth is still the only blue ^__^ *snuggles her pretty boy* I love him.
Rachael
Dragon

Post by Rachael »

Shade changes, but color won't start really changing until they're adults. Then, of course, all bets are off, to a certain extent.

The laughable thing is more often, it's simply the preferable answers, rather than the subtlety. I could rig questions so the most preferable answer will lead to Green, invariably, though then I'd be very purposefully rigging the process for the folks with eggs. Hmm. =P

And Geddeth is still the only blue. XD And so pretty!

I figure YWIAW is like, uh, the original created clutches. We're top heavy, and bottom light? XD
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

Psht. You could just say that Bronzes and Golds are the common stock and they simply have to squabble amongst themselves for leadership?

Besides, we all know that Greens = Fillers. XDD
Astra
Ancient Dragon

Post by Astra »

LOL, I was just thinking about Anne's use of sexuality when I was posting in Asha's thread about her parents blocking the Nexus.

Anne's treatment of homosexuality is interesting to say the least. As far as I can tell, it goes like this: gold and bronze dragons mate with each other, and their riders are straight. Brown dragons mate with green dragons, but the brownrider might have a girlfriend or two on the side, and so brownriders are bi. Blue riders and green riders will only sleep with men. Since blue and green riders far outnumber brownriders who in turn outnumber gold and bronze riders, straight dragonriders are a very small minority.

On one hand she is being very brave and progressive for including them at all during the time when the early Pern books were written, and making the VAST majority of what is seen as a manly fighter-jock-esque profession consist of homosexual males is gutsy to say the least. However, while it is implied that the majority of dragonriders are homosexual, they rarely actually appear in the book, and almost never as main characters. The attention is nearly always around the gold and bronze riders (and F'nor, who is an established heterosexual).

While McCaffrey on one hand supports the homosexual culture, she at the same time subverts it by tying sexuality directly to rank. She implicitly states that the heterosexual bronze and gold riders are "superior" to the bisexual brownriders who are then in turn higher ranked than the homosexual blue and green riders.

And dear god, here I am writing a careful analysis of the Dragonriders of Pern. QUEER THEORY, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO ME? :shock:
ImageImageImage
Xenoqueen
Great Wyrm

Post by Xenoqueen »

Cripes. So where does that leave the poor little asexuals like me, eh? XD With the whites?
Astra
Ancient Dragon

Post by Astra »

LOL yeah that would probably be for the best, as Ruth never showed any interest in mating despite his rider being heterosexual :P Otherwise you'll just have to learn to like the ghey sex, or just dread every time your dragon mates...

come to think of it, in that respect the Weyr is a lot like prison ...

ImageImageImage
Rachael
Dragon

Post by Rachael »

No, we'd end up on Golds, because we're female. Or greens; by being asexual, you are probably not homosexually identifying, and so the lack there-of of a sex drive doesn't matter - you don't need one, only your dragon does.

Ruth, the sporty white, had no sex drive, but Jaxom sure as hell did. Asexuals are the sports of the dragonriding world. "Our dragons are straight, and we congratulate them whenever we're not finding them randy!"

Anne also subjects all homosexual men, and women, to being lower caste citizens within the Weyr. They do at least have recognition in the Weyr, compared to supposedly what happens outside the Weyr (which we never actually see or hear about). Homosexual women don't exist. Duh.

Anyway, rounding back to asexuality - given the gender constraints, asexual women would ride Gold or Green, and asexual men Bronze, Brown, or Blue. The only guideline that would have to be followed would be of gender; and even then, Anne says in interviews that her Pern wouldn't allow female Bronzers, or Browners, or Bluers, but that it could happen.

BLAH just back to saying it wouldn't matter about color; your dragon would drag you along for the ride and let you be the rest of the time.

Unless we clone Ruth, and then have a brigade of the asexual, small, and prideful! (Ruth and his pride and Thomas the Engine thought-pattern!)
Xenoqueen
Great Wyrm

Post by Xenoqueen »

..... ::holds up a sign that says "Whites or BUST!":: XD No crazy-hormoned dragon for me, thanks!
Myrror
Ancient Dragon

Post by Myrror »

I dunno, Phe, it would be a good way to find out what we're missing without actually doing it. Maybe. >.>
ImageImageImageImageImage
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

Anne's Pern is severely fucked up. :(

It'd be so cool to see all sexual-preference spectrum people riding all different colours -- shouldn't it only really matter what the dragon likes, since they mention that the rider can take different partners for his/herself anyways; or none at all?

:P Just do some heavy meditation, ala Vulcans, and y'all'd be just fine!
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

Why I would always bring her issues into question:

Xena.

No one in their right mind would say "Xena shouldn't ride a gold dragon, she's BISEXUAL!! OMG!!!" *eyeroll*
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
Astra
Ancient Dragon

Post by Astra »

I would've imagined Xena on a brown or bronze, personally. Queens would be too girly and political for her, but a blue or green wouldn't know how to handle her :P But of course, girls can't ride male dragons, that's TEH BAD :roll:
ImageImageImage
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

D8 Then why can men ride female dragons?
Astra
Ancient Dragon

Post by Astra »

Because mens are better, obviously :roll:

Actually I read somewhere because all the female candidates were ONLY presented to the Queen dragons (before Path's time). Dragons have a strong instinct to choose only their own gender as riders, but the instinct to bond at all is stronger, and so if no girls are presented, the green dragons choose more effeminate men instead. Technically, if ONLY girls were presented as candidates, than the blue, brown, and bronze dragons would choose female riders. However, in Pern's sexist society, that would never actually happen.
ImageImageImage
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

>_> I want to make a Weyr just to bend those rules around. XD Durr.
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

LAWL :)

*looks at all the non-canon juicy bits we have since pre-Nexus days*

ayup. :)
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

I'm glad that other people did it first. I can't imagine how boring and kind of awkward it would be to participate in nothing but strictly canon Weyrs for long!
Rachael
Dragon

Post by Rachael »

Hell yeah, Xena would bond Gold - and be frustrated as hell. She'd prefer a brown, in my mind, because then the politics can be fucked because she's the most mobile in the Pernese army. >_> No one looks askance if a brownrider doesn't try to fly the queen, and yet they also can. So go figure!

Anne allows that, technically, anyone could bond any color, except gold for males. Because that's what she says. She also says this wouldn't be her Pern.

Also, firestone doesn't make anyone sterile. Yep, it's just 'cause McCaffrey and Kitti Ping wanted to "protect" the egg bearers. Also? The color relating to intelligence is just stupid to me. The brain case probably won't change, really, between sizes. Or even over time. A "bigger brain" doesn't work that directly, or else the Tyrannosaurus Rex would have been playing bridge at dinner. Its head is big, so obviously, its brain is too! I swear, the higher vs lower end of the dragon size and color spectrum only relates to size, color, and then strengths and weaknesses. Intelligence really isn't one, and I really, really doubt that from Faranth to Ramoth, we've too much intelligence discrepancy. Despite what that smarmy AVIAS says. It's smarmy.

The idea of dragons bonding on sexual preferences never worked for me. I could see strict gender lines, but then we have male on female with the greens, so whatever Anne. In that case, it should be ability. I could still see stretching to say Golds would still hunt for women because men would likely freak out a smidgeon more than a woman when it comes to egg laying, because you will not convince me you aren't feeling that queen laying those eggs, but even then I doubt it much.

Also, women takes care of Weyr, man takes care of War? (Yes, War Anne, because it is constantly referred to as a battle/war/whatever with Thread, so War is a very obvious word on Pern >3) Screw that. Anne herself says women are steadier in battle, both less likely to die or show off and then die. A women on a bronze? I totally see that.

I also call gip on having to feel each other's every emotion or physical state when it's so often ignored in canon. Re: the egg laying thing. >_>
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

Heh then there's the whole "in 2500 years and who knows how many actual clutches, only ONE mutant survived".

Yah. Right. After you GENETICALLY ENGINEERED them to be mutants in size and emotive states... uhuh.
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com