Kalyturn's Semi-Annual Breeding Contest - Now Open!

For contests and challenges, free for all to join and create.

Moderators: Mystic Dragon, Xalia, Shard

Dray
Dracolich

Kalyturn's Semi-Annual Breeding Contest - Now Open!

Post by Dray »

The random trait signup is closed, and random traits have been picked, thanks to a random number generator!

List of Traits to Breed for in January, 2008

46) Complementary color scheme (Meaning schemes like yellow/purple, blue/orange, red/green)
33) Accessories (Jewelry, Items, etc.)
41) Fox Tail

Breeding Rules
1) Each parent dragon must have a page and must not have been created solely for this contest.
2) Breeding must be done between a male and a female dragon (of mature age) without any magical or technological tampering to make them compatible. (Size shouldn't be a huge issue, unless one is tiny and the other is massive!)
-2a) For traits that are not necessarily a part of the dragon (like 'accessories' or 'tattoos'), parents must display some form of this trait and it is assumed that the markings or accessories are passed down. Dragons possessing cyborware, rune branding, and those that have restrictions against passing on items or markings aren't considered eligible for these kinds of traits.
3) The offspring must be posted by January 31st in order to qualify. The offspring may be posted in this thread.
4) When posting the offspring, a link to each parent is required. Stats (Name, abilities, personality, etc) are optional with the offspring!
5) All participants must sign up between January 1st and January 7th, but may start drawing their offspring immediately!
6) (Pending) Participants must be okay with possible minor alterations, such as for cyborware, as Kalyturn will be issuing awards that may be redeemable for such.
7) Notification that the dragon was created for this contest should be noted in the image: something like 'for Kalyturn's Breeding Contest' needs to be included to be eligible in the contest AND to allow awards to be redeemed upon them!
8) Participants retain rights to use the template they created for this contest in any way, in any form. Only the offspring included in this contest needs to be allowed to have alterations, the rest are yours, and I won't touch 'em!

Prizes
First Place: The winner of this competition receives the ability to do whatever he or she wishes with all of the offspring drawn for the contest. Whether she wishes to page a number of them or run a giveaway is up to her! The winner also receives a Breeding Champion award (either a plaque or a cup, I haven't decided yet. XD) which may be redeemable at a later date.
Second Place: Second place winner will receive a 'Breeder's Choice, 2nd Place' award, redeemable at a later date.
Third Place: Third place winner will receive a 'Breeder's Choice, 3rd Place' award, redeemable at a later date.
All Participants: All participants will receive a 'Kalyturn's Breeding Contest, Participant' award, redeemable at a later date, along with a flit-sized pet that shows the traits picked for the contest.

Participant Sign Up Sheet
Your Name:
Your Email:
Favorite Complementary Colour Scheme:
Favorite Kind of Accessory:
What temperament flit/jracini would you like?:

(As a disclaimer, I won't be participating in this contest to win. XD I may enter a dragon for whoever DOES win, but since I'm running it, it wouldn't be fair to win myself a prize!)

<hr>

Old Updates

The notes have been sent by flitter and email, and all of the top breeders and geneticists have been summoned. The event? Kalyturn is hosting a breeding competition. Her services have been humbly submitted for your use; her home has been extended to you for the duration of the competition.

The quarry? The perfect dragon. Read on for further information.

Stage 1) Now accepting random traits. Suggest as many traits as you want until the 31st. Remember that these traits will be ones that we'll need to breed for, so be careful about getting too wild!

Stage 2) A list of traits is picked (Between 2 and 5) and the breeding commences! Previously paged dragons from your collection must be used to try to create offspring as close to all of that listed as possible!

Stage 3) Voting -- whoever has bred the dragon closest to the one described by the listed traits wins!

So, load your favorite traits into this thread. They'll be added to the second post down.
Last edited by Dray on Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:51 am, edited 4 times in total.
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

List of Traits
1Long neck
2Thick limbs
3Bronze
4Webbed frill along spine
5Bony plates along head
6Ram's horns
7Spots
8Single-tined wings
9Thickly furred
10Sharp-tipped tail
11Four claws on the paws
12Rounded ears
13Scaled belly
14Elaborate markings
15Bipedal Stance
16Solid Eyes
17Feathered Wings
18Split horns
19Long snout/head
20Feathers
21Whiskers
22Duowinged
23Ears
24Serpentine
25Fins
26Straight horns
27Tattoos
28Antennae
29Glowy-bits (markings or bobs)
30Scaly Belly
31Extra Legs/Wings (or combos)
32Racing Stripes
<strike>33Accessories (jewelry, items, etc)</strike>
34 4-tined Wings
35Mandibles
36No eyes
37spikes/spines down the back
38jaguar spotted
39fur covered or has patches of fur
40multiple tails
<strike>41fox tail</strike>
42glowing eyes
43Catlike body
44Flaming eyes
45Metallic somewhere
<strike>46Complementary color scheme</strike>
47Monochrome color scheme
48Analogous color scheme (for those three, see http://www.wellstyled.com/tools/colorsc ... ex-en.html)
49BIG claws!
50Long-haired tail
51Nocturnal
52Flightless
Last edited by Dray on Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:15 am, edited 13 times in total.
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

An example! (feel free to list as many as you like, but if you come up with more later, please make a new post instead of editing the first -- that way I can easily see what's new!)

Long neck
Thick Limbs
Bronze
Webbed frill along spine
Bony plates along head
Ram's horns
Spots
Silver Midnight
Dragon

Post by Silver Midnight »

Single-tined wings
Thickly furred
Sharp-tipped tail
Four claws on the paws
Rounded ears
Scaled belly
Elaborate markings
Still gaming? Take a look at Atonement RPI.
Myrror
Ancient Dragon

Post by Myrror »

Bipedal Stance
Solid Eyes
Feathered Wings
Split horns
Long snout/head
Feathers (other than wings)
ImageImageImageImageImage
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

Thanks, those are updated! ^_^

Post by Guest »

Whiskers
Duowinged (got to give the draks some opportunity :wink:)
Ears (not just rounded lol, you could make these pointy)
Serpentine (even if I can't draw that to save my life)
Fins
Straight horns
Tattoos
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

Let's see.... (others nabbed a couple I would suggest anyway)

Antennae
Glowy-bits (markings or bobs)
Scaley Belly
Extra Legs/Wings (or combos)
Racing Stripes
Accessories (jewelry, items, etc)
4-tined Wings
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

Any other suggestions for random traits? This part of the contest closes tomorrow, and then the next part begins. :) You don't have to be a participant to suggest random traits!

Post by Guest »

spikes/spines down the back
jaguar spotted
fur covered or has patches of fur
multiple tails
fox tail
glowing eyes
JKatkina
Ancient Dragon

Post by JKatkina »

Catlike body
Flaming eyes
Metallic somewhere
Complementary color scheme
Monochrome color scheme
Analogous color scheme (for those three, see http://www.wellstyled.com/tools/colorsc ... ex-en.html)
BIG claws!
Long-haired tail
Nocturnal
Flightless
Image Image Image Image
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

The random trait signup is closed, and random traits have been picked, thanks to a random number generator!

List of Traits to Breed for in January, 2008

46) Complementary color scheme (Meaning schemes like yellow/purple, blue/orange, red/green)
33) Accessories (Jewelry, Items, etc.)
41) Fox Tail

Breeding Rules
1) Each parent dragon must have a page and must not have been created solely for this contest.
2) Breeding must be done between a male and a female dragon (of mature age) without any magical or technological tampering to make them compatible. (Size shouldn't be a huge issue, unless one is tiny and the other is massive!)
3) The offspring must be posted by January 31st in order to qualify. The offspring may be posted in this thread.
4) When posting the offspring, a link to each parent is required. Stats (Name, abilities, personality, etc) are optional with the offspring!
5) All participants must sign up between January 1st and January 7th, but may start drawing their offspring immediately!
6) (Pending) Participants must be okay with possible minor alterations, such as for cyborware, as Kalyturn will be issuing awards that may be redeemable for such. Secondly, notification that the dragon was created for this contest should be noted in the image: something like 'for Kalyturn's Breeding Contest' needs to be included to be eligible in the contest AND to allow awards to be redeemed upon them!
7) Participants retain rights to use the template they created for this contest in any way, in any form. Only the offspring included in this contest needs to be allowed to have alterations, the rest are yours, and I won't touch 'em!

Prizes
First Place: The winner of this competition receives the ability to do whatever he or she wishes with all of the offspring drawn for the contest. Whether she wishes to page a number of them or run a giveaway is up to her! The winner also receives a Breeding Champion award (either a plaque or a cup, I haven't decided yet. XD) which may be redeemable at a later date.
Second Place: Second place winner will receive a 'Breeder's Choice, 2nd Place' award, redeemable at a later date.
Third Place: Third place winner will receive a 'Breeder's Choice, 3rd Place' award, redeemable at a later date.
All Participants: All participants will receive a 'Kalyturn's Breeding Contest, Participant' award, redeemable at a later date, along with a flit-sized pet that shows the traits picked for the contest.

Your Name:
Your Email:
Favorite Complementary Colour Scheme:
Favorite Kind of Accessory:
What temperament flit/jracini would you like?:

(As a disclaimer, I won't be participating in this contest to win. XD I may enter a dragon for whoever DOES win, but since I'm running it, it wouldn't be fair to win myself a prize!)
Xenoqueen
Great Wyrm

Post by Xenoqueen »

So we can't go the genetic-manipulation route even for size? Hmm. Dang, I had a near-perfect pair, but I've got the tiny/massive issue there. Ack. XD Back to the drawing board. Can't sign up if I don't have a working pair.... ::rummage::
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

Rules clarification please: "ONE generation" pair male and female, and "Must be dragon"? (I'm pretty sure it's only one generation, but less so on "must be dragon".)
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

No genetic manipulation for this contest, nope! If this competition is a success, I'll set up a contest specifically for your genetic engineers and mages to participate, with far more traits to try to combine for. >:D

Eta: If by 'one generation' you mean that you're required to get your entrant in one breeding, then yes. >_> I don't even know where to begin classifying dragons between generations in character, unless they're both from the same bloodline.

'Has to be dragon'? They should be of draconic size; flits come in a huge range of colours and many are click-and-takes that the participant didn't have to work at all for, but if you'd like to use creatures like gryphons or... I don't know, unicorns? they're fair game. So long as they were earned or acquired in a giveaway within the Nexus (or in Myrror's case, through dragon whorling giveaways) they're good to go.
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

Okay! That's an excellent bonus lol. Fox taillll, heeere fox tailllll....

Also: these dragons can have *loads of other traits too* right? Cuz.... boy they're gonna wind up having them heh. ;0___0
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

The clearer the three traits that are listed, the better chance participants have of winning since you can see that the participant filled the requirements, is my thought (though in the end, the winner is chosen by voters!) If you want to include lots of other traits, go for it. :D
Xenoqueen
Great Wyrm

Post by Xenoqueen »

Alright, found some passable alternatives. Not as fun as my original set, but...hey, I can always do that one on my own, if I want. XD

Your Name: Phoenix
Your Email: thexenoqueen@gmail.com
Favorite Complementary Colour Scheme: blue/orange
Favorite Kind of Accessory: Uh...gloves?
What temperament flit/jracini would you like?: Surprise me
Kitsuneko
Ancient Dragon

Post by Kitsuneko »

:3 I have a crow-dragon I need to page.

Your Name: Kitsuneko
Your Email: silver_storyteller@yahoo.com
Favorite Complementary Colour Scheme: Not a fan of complementaries, really, but...Yellow/Purple?
Favorite Kind of Accessory: Ear--or tail--rings
What temperament flit/jracini would you like?: No preference
Darkling Dawn: Fauna Frenzy Open to candidates; flights open to males/females; rukel eggs/breedings available.
Drockh-Tallahn Castle: 3 eggs, 2 available. Females and males needed.
Sgiath Wolfkeep: 7 pups available
Sedona Weyr: 12 eggs, Deadline March 8. Chasers and a female needed.
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

Your Name: Shard
Your Email: kshau_protectorate @ yahoo.com
Favorite Complementary Colour Scheme: blue/gold
Favorite Kind of Accessory: piercings and/or junk (chip bags, books, golden hoards, etc lol)
What temperament flit/jracini would you like?: no idea
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
Myrror
Ancient Dragon

Post by Myrror »

Accessories confuse me...they're not part of a creatures DNA, so how could it be bred?
leilay
Hatchling

Post by leilay »

This is such an awesome idea. :) I don't really have enough dragons to participate this time (just the color scheme is hard, much less the other traits), but I am going to *love* to watch. ^^ Maybe next year, for me! (or the genetic one, if that comes about)
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

Accessories might be things that a parent passes down to the children -- some dragons, like those born from Azon way back when, actually did hatch with rings and piercings in place for whatever reason.

I think for the purpose of this competition, if the parent is wearing something (or has piercings, or displays similar accessories) then you can have them pass on to the children. Call it imitation, or tradition, or "wear the god damned bracelets, brat!" XD

Starburst also gave away a lot of dragons that had accessories. I don't think that cyborware or rune branding form Phoenix's agencies count... though Phe, if you want to change that, let me know.

eta: I added some dragons to the database for people who'd like to supplement their own collections, Leilay. I don't know if they help, but they're there if you'd like to use 'em! :)
Myrror
Ancient Dragon

Post by Myrror »

Passing down does not equate breeding. Tradition or no, if the traits have to be bred, a 'passing down' of something the offspring would not be born with would not work.

Unless you change the rules for this.
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

Since a number of traits include things that would need to be passed down (tattoos are in there, too) and other members of the nexus have used 'em in a hereditary fashion, the 'accessories' trait stays. I'll broaden the rules, in that case. ^_^

(Mmm, semantics.)
Xenoqueen
Great Wyrm

Post by Xenoqueen »

Rune-Branding is definitely not "pass-down-able" here, but I don't see why Cyborware couldn't be. :)
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

"But mooo-ooooom! you can't stop me from getting piercings, look at daaa-aaaad!!"

:)

The idea of trinkets being "inherited" is not genetic, but hoarding is, so.... >_> okay that was a stretch lol.
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
Myrror
Ancient Dragon

Post by Myrror »

Well, that's better. I was just saying that they couldn't be passed down through breeding due to DNA and all with how the rules were before. All it needed was a rule-tweak.

I do understand passing down, though. I have a kat whose son and granddaughter wear chains because he does.
Unyko
Dragon

Post by Unyko »

Your Name: Unyko
Your Email: unykness@pegaruny.com
Favorite Complementary Colour Scheme: blue-purple and gold <3 (or black and white, if that's an option. XD hey, they're opposites! *laff*)
Favorite Kind of Accessory: piercings or bracelets/tailets/etc...
What temperament flit/jracini would you like?: *shrug?* cute? XD;;

Oh, this is gonna be -fun-. X3!
Image... Image ... Image

Post by JKatkina »

Your Name: JKatkina
Your Email: jkatkina at gmail dot com
Favorite Complementary Colour Scheme: Orange and Blue
Favorite Kind of Accessory: Gold chains yo! Like Mr. T!
What temperament flit/jracini would you like?: Dunno. XD Anything really.
Image Image Image Image