Internets and yous!! (aka help Astra with school maybe?)

For general madness of any sort. Check your sanity at the door.

Moderators: Mystic Dragon, Xalia, Shard

Astra
Ancient Dragon

Internets and yous!! (aka help Astra with school maybe?)

Post by Astra »

Hello everyone. I'm working on a project for my folklore class, and I was wondering if anyone could help me by answering a few quick questions. My project is on internet lore and forum culture, particularly with regards to internet memes and l337 or net-speak. Yes, this really is for school, lol. I just have a few quick questions and any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Have you ever used any l337-speak, chat-speak, or other internet slang? If so, what and to what extent?

What is your immediate impression of someone who extensively uses l337-speak or chat speak?

How familiar are you with various visual internet memes (lolcats, "do not want" pictures, various plz accounts, etc)?

How about verbal memes ("In soviet Russia...," "The Cake is a Lie," etc)?

Do you generally find these amusing, or are you just annoyed by them?

If you find them amusing at first and then they become annoying, how quickly does this change occur?

Have you ever posted a meme in a thread? If so, which one(s)?

Which memes are your favorite, and which are the most annoying?

Thank you very much to anyone who fills out my little survey! :)
ImageImageImage

Post by Guest »

Im stupid.. what are memes?
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

Have you ever used any l337-speak, chat-speak, or other internet slang? If so, what and to what extent?

-- Yes, I use the occasional Leet in chatting and a lot of "lol" and such in regular posting and email communication.

What is your immediate impression of someone who extensively uses l337-speak or chat speak?

-- Depends on whether I think they're doing it to be funny or doing it because they don't know how to spell properly in the first place. I think considerably less of those who adopt it purely out of failure to properly grasp English.

How familiar are you with various visual internet memes (lolcats, "do not want" pictures, various plz accounts, etc)?

-- Pretty familiar with some, seen some bleeding over into other genres from what they started.

-- I recognize most, but don't necessarily 'get' all of them.

-- Most of them are still quite amusing to me. Some of them will never go out of style, in my opinion. (IMHO!!)

If you find them amusing at first and then they become annoying, how quickly does this change occur?

-- Very slowly if at all. By the time I'm sick of seeing something so is everyone else, and that's often when the 'parody' starts.

-- I have done the occasional DeviantArt 'swiped list', and I've created a couple "Motive" posters; I keep meaning to upload some pictures of my cats for the lolcats lists.

-- Lolcats will never, ever go out of style so far as I'm concerned. I love cats, and animals in general, and I love how people are affected by them.
-- Most other memes are a little weaker, since many are based on specific games or events, which you really need to have 'been there' for. (I don't own any of the games from which certain things have come, but I do see em for what they're worth: as a statement "the cake is a lie" can be made into so many things).
-- My least favorite meme is simply put: Myspace. I don't think it's necessary. People need to figure out how to make a real page that doesn't clog the interweb tubes, and stop being so damned emo. :)
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com

Post by Guest »

- I use smilies in everything I type (has trouble keeping them out of school reports), and I throw the regular "lol" and "rofl" around in real life. I never used l337-speak because it confuses me no end.

- I can't read l337-speak so I'm kind of annoyed by it.

- Hardly know them, I do know about memes though! Oh but if lolcats are those pictures of cats with captions on them then I love those ^^ I see them a lot in the lj-groups I visit

- *points up* Had to read a book about memes, but I'm not too deep into it. The meme that memes are not real is strongly present in me so I can be a nice little copy machine ^^ I generally don't bother with them much.

- Generally I don't mind them if I can understand what they mean. It's kind of hard to come forth and ask about something when everyone around you seems to know what it is (peer pressure)

- I use the abbreviations (lol, rofl, lmao, brb, bbl, bbs, etc)

- If that l337 speak is a meme I find it annoying :)
Graeth
Dragon
Location: Burninating all the peasants who live in thatchedROOF COTTAGES!!

Re: Internets and yous!! (aka help Astra with school maybe?)

Post by Graeth »

Astra wrote:Hello everyone. I'm working on a project for my folklore class, and I was wondering if anyone could help me by answering a few quick questions. My project is on internet lore and forum culture, particularly with regards to internet memes and l337 or net-speak. Yes, this really is for school, lol. I just have a few quick questions and any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Thank you very much to anyone who fills out my little survey! :)

Yes, to the point where I've used LOL out loud.
My impression is that it is my duty to silence them...if that's an impression.
Do not want, I can has (x), the list goes on.
In soviet Russia-thread bumps you, The cake is a goddamned lie, flying spaghetti monster.
They are amusing...most of the time. 'PWN' is just plain stupid in a can.
They get annoying when people use them on a regular basis, even IRL. Theye're meant to be extra seasoning, used at least every seven words apart or farther.
No, not me, not ever.
Favorite? Probably 'Your character as a SSBB character' one...but that's like the only one I know.