Not swearing is wrong? 0.0

Sometimes you just want to express your opinions and have a healthy debate with your friends, but anything that turns into deliberate attacks/flaming will be shut down. Don't take anything personally, remember that we're all friends, and remember it's your choice if you start reading. :)

Moderators: Mystic Dragon, Xalia, Shard

Samber
Dragon

Not swearing is wrong? 0.0

Post by Samber »

had a rather frustrating argument with my dad earlier this evening...a sort-of explanation of what happened can be found here:

http://foolish-rogue.livejournal.com/2007/05/15/

apparently saying "darn it" is worse than "damn it".

thoughts on this?
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

XD That is kind of entertaining.

Me, I usually throw in a mix of swearing and non-swears, seeing them as interchangeable. "Fuck", "frick", "frack" (lol battlestar) and "finch" all kind of mean the same thing. ...just generic exclamations, usually when something bad happens.

"God" and "gosh" work like that too. I know that 'God' isn't necessarily a swear, but I had it beaten into my head as a kid that saying it was SO BAD, soooo I suppose I switched over and now they're interchangeable, too.

I don't suppose that this is helping your argument. XD What I'm trying to say is that instead of 'being true to myself' and 'saying what I really mean' by using the swear that everyone's familiar with, I just use whatever comes to mind. They're all the same to me!
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

Having worked 13 years at a comic store I learned to censor my swearing, and I swear up a storm sometimes :) I freely replace any given word with a soundalike, to the point that a few years ago my ex actually said, "why not just SAY fuck?" which I found was pretty funny. :)
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

Ever since I went to college, I started getting worse in terms of swearing, especially when I get frustrated. On the other hand, as I continue to write in my world, generic swears start getting replaced with equivilant-esque words from that world.

Like... a great multipurpose "swear" I've been finding myself saying is "Abyss" or variants there-of -- "Abyss cursed (object/thing/whatever)" "by the Abyss" "Abyss take you" and so on.

I also have the amusing habit of replacing "fuck" with "fisk" and going on rants with just that word "fisk-fiskfiskyfiskfiskfiskFISK!!" My favorite reaction from that was "How do you actually manage to SAY that?" as I hopped around on one foot on a "fisk" rant after a Calc book had dropped on my other foot.
Shadow
Dragon

Post by Shadow »

I'll admit that I have a bad habit of swearing. When your brothers, do it, people in your school do it, and your parents do it, it's hard not to. But I completely disagree on the fact that saying "frick" over "fuck" is worse. I do however have two excuses for saying Hell (Hell, Michigan and it's in the Bible) I try not to.

And your rant, as amusing as I was, does make a very good point. People who screw up on something usually don't try censor themselves. THought sometimes I think it best that I don't speak my mind /all/ the time because inside it could be raining swear words and on the outside I could just be wearing my "uneasy" smile that usually puts people on edge. That's fun.
DNS
Ancient Dragon

Post by DNS »

I only swear when I'm angry, and when I'm writing. :3 In real life, i yelp or hiss or screech, more like an animal or something, when i do something that surprises me or pisses me off. I'm wierd like that.

I personally don't mind alternative word, but it gets on my nerves when people censor themselves. my brother will say bleep, or just remove a vowel sound [f-ing instead of fucking, only he doesn't say eff-ing, he says fffihng. also, sht, fck, and whatnot.] THAT gets on my nerves, but mostly becuase he has an annoying voice, and the word feels incomplete then. :/ it's one of my wierd OCD twitchies. I want to yell at him that he's not a bloody radio station. but yeah.
Samber
Dragon

Post by Samber »

I was thinking about this some more during PE this afternoon and remembered that one of the guys from church (the GM for one of our gaming groups, in fact) has started saying "what the deuce" everytime he wants to swear... and of course during our WoT rp sessions, when someone drops a slice of pizza or rolls a 1, the immediate response is "blood and ashes!" XD I would looooove to see my dad's reaction to THAT.

DNS - he leaves out the vowels? How can he even pronounce that? 0.o

Post by Guest »

XDDD Samber, that brings back so many memories. My best friends and I started a book club our senior year in high school and the Eye of the World was one of our first.

This reminded me of a commercial my roommate and I died over the other day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpjojQea7Lw
DNS
Ancient Dragon

Post by DNS »

ha, what the deuce makes me think of stewy from family guy. whose name i probably spelled wrong.

and yep, he can. O__o i dunno how. he just.. does. and it's incredably frustrating. Next time he does it, i should.. record it on my digi cam or something. D:
Fuzzy
Dragon

Post by Fuzzy »

[cackles] When I get pissed (it takes a good long while, unless you're one of a very few people who naturally rub me the wrong way all the damn time), I swear like nobody's business. Went on a half hour long rant about my geo teacher's latest BS to my mom once and holy gods I didn't repeat any swear once. XD I was even swearing in other languages. [snickers] Or when I'm in pain and trying to force it away. X3

I've only had the "don't even use fake swears" lecture from my mom and from Catholic zealots growing up, but that's about it. :D Otherwise I just keep a good awareness of who's comfortable with me swearing and how often and who isn't. XD

*gives you a cookie*
<a href="http://oacmagicisle.co.cc/">The OAC!</a>

(Bonding urls pending due to geocities crash... )
Astra
Ancient Dragon

Post by Astra »

For awhile when I was in middle school and obsessed with Pern it used to drive my mom crazy when I said "shards" because she thought I was just doing it to avoid saying "shit." Then she got over it. If I asked her now she'd probably not even remember saying that, given that she's always thought fake swears were better than real ones. Though what constitutes as a swear word is a little strange in my mom's eyes. She gets mad at me when I say "crap," for the Ancients' sake.
ImageImageImage

Post by Guest »

As far as I'm concerned, crap is. I don't use any of it, but I will admit to using the fake ones. And occasionally, I'll use strange ones like "holy spoons!". > > Real ones are only used when I'm extremely upset or something, which isn't very often.
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

XD It seems to me that 'swears' come on a sliding scale. Those that a lot of people consider 'not swears' are simply lighter versions of the ones that we reserve for srs business. Of course, the scale varies from person to person, so that makes things difficult, and is probably why there's such a controversy over what makes an official swear and what doesn't.