make it STOP

Come and show off your masterpieces!

Moderators: Mystic Dragon, Xalia, Shard, Dray

DNS
Ancient Dragon

make it STOP

Post by DNS »

sorry for two posts in a row-- this time i'm asking for tips.

isolating and cleaning up lineart has always been very frustrating for me. I've mostly got a way of doing it-- i trance a sketch on semitransparent velum or rag marker paper, scan it in, play with the levels and try not to make the lines so thick, select everything outside the parts where i'm going to colour, inverse selection, expand by two, and fill tool to get the thick outer outlines.

However, i have this problem.

and also the same sort of thing, but on the very edges of the lineart-- like on the dark court vella crean template if you put it on a black background. [i've mostly fixed the other templates].

IS there a way to get around that? those stupid, annoying little white dreglines? Or do you have to tediously go back over it with the bloody pencil tool to get rid of them? -bites at them- sofrustrating!

but yeah. help? suggestions?
Xenoqueen
Great Wyrm

Post by Xenoqueen »

Is that Photoshop? If so, I have a fix, and I'll find a template I can go screencap to show what I mean.
DNS
Ancient Dragon

Post by DNS »

Yep. photoshop seven. >.>
If you have a fix for that, i will worship you forever. O____O this has been the bane of my existance since i started bloody making these things.
Xenoqueen
Great Wyrm

Post by Xenoqueen »

I have CS, but this isn't a new feature, so it should still work.

Okay, I purposefully botched up one of my templates for you to get that white haze. Lineart on a single layer, dark background color so the haze shows.

Quick way to fix that is to apply a "Stroke" layer style to the lineart. Black, 1 pixel, inside. Seen here.

Most of the time that'll still leave some tiny white spots between the lineart and Stroke here and there (for example, between the claws on the top of the near wing) but those are MUCH easier to go in and black out than having to trace the outside of the entire template. :)
DNS
Ancient Dragon

Post by DNS »

-nodnodcling-
a few dots is prefferable to hundreds. -cling- thankyou. O___O this will save tons and tons of time.
-waddles off to try it-
Mystic Dragon
Great Wyrm

Post by Mystic Dragon »

I usually just set mine pictures to grayscale before leveling, then black and white afterwards to clean it up.
https://renaissancebookpress.com/2017/0 ... tlin-caul/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

It could be that your magic wand tool is set to 'anti-alias'. Try de-selecting that option before clicking outside the template. What gets deleted should be a nice, clean line.
DNS
Ancient Dragon

Post by DNS »

I think I tried that, and it got me a whiter line in the center like that.. but then again, that could've been on the paint bucket too.

XP In anycase, thanks all three of you-- my expirements in templatinging have been a bit easier, at least with this one i'm doing now.
Xalia
Great Wyrm

Post by Xalia »

I'd guess that the tolerance on your magic wand tool is too low then. I usually use values between 32 and 64 depending on what I'm using it for. :)
Kilandaia
Tripaldi Weyr
TSCZ
Jurizlandia-Coming Soon