Furry/feathery textures.

Come and show off your masterpieces!

Moderators: Mystic Dragon, Xalia, Shard, Dray

Starburst
Ancient Dragon

Furry/feathery textures.

Post by Starburst »

How does everyone DO them? I've never really been able to do these textures very well, and could use some tips. So... pointers, anyone? ^^;
Molly
Meridian Weyr | Caer Nova | Perigee Castle | Starfall Dragonry
DNS
Ancient Dragon

Post by DNS »

the only way I know is tablet, irregular scratchings of lighter and darker shading. Or you can take a bunch of lines or a diagonal brush and cover the whole body with that, and then smudge it together in a single direction. actually, you can just do a lot of lines and colour and do that too, probably. it just won't look as neat. and there's always just having the outlines of those and shading underneath like normal, but that rarely works so well. ^^ and that's all i know, but all of it's hard and tedious and rarely looks good.
Graeth
Dragon
Location: Burninating all the peasants who live in thatchedROOF COTTAGES!!

Post by Graeth »

I use a plugin...but that's me.
Shiolar
Dragon

Post by Shiolar »

I have a special brush in PSP that does fur for me... I haven't tested it on feathers yet, but in theory it'd work. Just do an image with half a dozen dots of different, but similar sizes in random space intervals, and save it as a brush... Then use it to your heart's content... I usually do a blur on the whole shading layer afterwards, to give a soft and fluffy look rather than a coarse hairy look...
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

I use a texture from a photograph (actually I have several different ones) that I use on airbrush or fill settings.
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com