Naming Contest!

For contests and challenges, free for all to join and create.

Moderators: Mystic Dragon, Xalia, Shard

DragonFlight
Dragon

Naming Contest!

Post by DragonFlight »

As I've mentioned before, I am working on the campaign materials for a d20 open source gaming system. (Mostly because I never see it getting published....but maybe I should change tactics and see what I can do for it? XD Anyways... And yes, I'll still be commissioning people for art for it, just not right yet, it needs more grit and depth first. ^_~)

Anyway, I've been trying to think of a good 'name' for the materials. Simply put, if you've ever played D&D before, you'll recognize that many of the settings have weird or cool names. While some are simply based on the names of their realms (Greyhawk, Eberron, Ravenloft) others have more interesting names. For example, the realm of Faerun/Toril is refered to as the Forgotten Realms setting, while Rokugan is Oriental Adventures, and then there's the ever-popular Krynn with Dragonlance.

I'd like a name for my 'series' like the latter, but I can't think of something I like. So here's the challenge. Come up with a name (or names!) that would make a good title for my setting material that you'll let me use. ^^

Winner will get.....some stuff. XD Have at it!

Here are some interesting pieces of info that have a deep impact on the setting, and so would make good inspiration for titles.

*Up until recently, the world was stuck in a loop where it kept getting eaten by a giant god-snake (Devourer of Worlds) and then restarted.....but only the living things ever got eaten, so there's alot of old remnants of civilizations that no one understands or knows the origin of.

*Dragons are considered sages and holy creatures.

*There are eight Kynnese elements, and eight matching moons. Both of these play significant roles in various societies.

*Magic is fairly prevalent, tech not so much, but it's possible.

Think that's all I can come up with right now....
Database Being Revamped

'Epic' is most concisely defined as something that, were you to do it in view of a person in real life, they'd pretty much have to sleep with you immediately to maintain order in the universe.
I sneezed. It seems to have reshaped reality. My bad.
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

It sounds like something that you could easily work 'Oroborus' (or Oroborous, depending on how you want to spell it) into, DF! X3 I'm sure you already know that an Oroborus is a sort of snake devouring its own tail in a never-ending cycle (Also, apparently, an alchemical symbol of transformation), but it can certainly be applied to wider subjects.

(A nifty picture I googled up: http://www.guidancetochangeyourlife.com ... borous.gif )

How about something using that? I'm not sure of the details of what's going on in the game, but you could always tack something on like 'Oroborus Ending' (but less obvious/tacky sounding? XD) to fancy it up!
DragonFlight
Dragon

Post by DragonFlight »

Heheheh. The irony of that statement does not escape me. XD
The Devourer of Worlds happens to be a GIANT snake (when she's feeling hungry anyway). XD
Database Being Revamped

'Epic' is most concisely defined as something that, were you to do it in view of a person in real life, they'd pretty much have to sleep with you immediately to maintain order in the universe.
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

As soon as I saw that, (and the fact that she seems to do it on a cycle, anyhow) immediately made me think of the oroboros. XD I can't help it, I really like that whole tail-nom thing! XD *has a character who's based on the six-snakes-eating-their-own-tails that the guy who invented benzene drug-hallu---I mean, dreamed up* It's such an old idea, but it's such fun!
DragonFlight
Dragon

Post by DragonFlight »

Yes, yes it is. XD

DoW: ~Noms on the nearest viable planet~
Database Being Revamped

Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

XD I hope she's not conscious of her weight! A whole planet tends to be pretty fattening!
Cacopheny
Dragon

Post by Cacopheny »

"The Devoured World"? XD Or maybe "The World Cycle"? Or "Reborn Realms" or something....

Or "Serpent Worlds" maybe-- given the DoW is a serpent, and dragons are important and stuff.

:: wanders off to get ready for class ::
The stupidest smart person you ever met.
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

I was thinking Devoured World too, though it does conjure up a little too much post-apoc for me, that and the Devouring Earth from coh. :)

I did however just get a really kinda neat image for your 8 moons... I don't think i could draw it though. Varying stages of waxing/waning with the snake motif hiding in the shadow or being the bright part... something like that...
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
DragonFlight
Dragon

Post by DragonFlight »

Sssshhhh! No logos until a name! That's gonna be a different contest if I need to think of one! XD
Database Being Revamped

Neishai
Dragon

Post by Neishai »

Here's some ideas... Just a few things I came up with help of dictionary.com and its thesaurus. XD See if you like any, or if anyone can continue my thought... :3

Other spellings of Oroboros:
ouroboros
uroboros

Meaning: Greek, 'tail devourer'
Can be a snake or dragon, or a symbol that looks like one of the two (such as a pendant or medallion?)

Made me think of the Auryn from The Neverending Story. The Auryn was in fact two snakes, one dark/black and one light/white, devouring one another mouth-to-tail. It was not only a medallion and the seal on the book, but also part of the archetecture/structure in a temple. In the book anyway. ^^

Some possible titles:
Sphere of (O)uroboros
Ouroboros Purlieus
Age of Ouroboros
* anything with this in the title because it is a COOL word: Epoch

Devourer of Ages
The Devourer's Spell

Something to do with Snakes or Dragons in the title.

My rambling brain. Hopefully you can use some of this. ^^
N'tyr Phii // We're Rococo / Caer Obelisk / Voivode's horde // Planet Muto
Bonder/Sponsor Database thread!

Please contact me if you find I owe you paged dragons.
Please also contact me if you have re-homed my dragons (so I don't page them by accident!)
If you just want to talk that's great!
Discord: Neishai#8117 // Toyhou.se: Melomar
Samber
Dragon

Post by Samber »

Well, since the Oroborous idea has already been suggested to death, names related to the whole '8' thing...

Octaire (or Auktaire, or any other variant on that... it sounds kinda cool, is all)

Orochi (according to 20,000 Names, an 8-headed serpent in Japanese mythology or something)

Eight Long (if you want something more enigmatic. 8 is obvious and 'Long' as a name means dragon)
LakotaWolf
Dragon

Post by LakotaWolf »

An "Orochi" XD Sorry, I couldn't resist. These guys kick my butt in L5R (the card game) ALLL the time. :/

Anyway, the world of Rokugan in L5R is based on feudal Japan, so I don't think 20,000names' definition for "Orochi" is far off XD
Lakota Windfang Sheean,
Professional Misanthropist
http://www.splintyr.com

Letting the days go by - Let the water hold me down
Letting the days go by - Water flowing underground
Into the blue again - After the money's gone
Once in a lifetime - Water flowing underground
DragonFlight
Dragon

Post by DragonFlight »

Rokugan is indeed a very feudal style, and does have many Japanese elements.

Speaking as someone who does love Japanese mythology, you are correct. Depending on the story version you hear, Orochi was a eight-headed (or many-headed) serpent/dragon/beast in ancient Japan. It called for virgin female sacrifices until it was slain by Susanoo. If I remember right, anyway. ^^;
Database Being Revamped

Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

>_>" It's also the name that a furry-artist has taken, who I once admired but then found their VCL gallery. ;_;' My poor, poor mind was scarred.

Young me: "Yay, I love their outlines! Ooh, what's this link? Hey, is that a snake? *click-thumbnail* OMFG WTF AAAAAAAH." *clickout, sadface*
DragonFlight
Dragon

Post by DragonFlight »

Well, it's been awhile since I posted this, and in light of a few recent developments in my life, I want to bump it and see if anyone has any further input?
Database Being Revamped

Cacopheny
Dragon

Post by Cacopheny »

I still like The World Cycle.... XD

But apparently I lied when I said I didn't have any more ideas; here's a couple XD

-Dragon Moons
-Eight Moons
-The Eight
-Order of the Dragon (since it seems like it's pretty prevalent in the world)

Heck, you could use your "company name", for that matter. It'd fit well enough.
The stupidest smart person you ever met.