Geocities Closing?

For general discussions of any sort that don't fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Mystic Dragon, Xalia, Shard, JKatkina

Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

Not sure exactly yet. The basic "anything from Shard" link will be
http://www.droppin-the-fork.com/dragonsites/ it has no index yet, but that'll be where everything is nexused. As you can see without the index, I have organized things based on theme, and within those are the geocities site names. It makes for long urls, but they're approximately the same as they used to be. The exceptions will come with dawnlight and alabaster since I'm almost entirely removing some areas and changing pages to read a single page instead of across multiples. Since I have no bandwidth issues, I don't care how long it takes to load lol.
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

Alright! So do you mind if I link to the /dragonsites index for those two locations? :) It will definitely make things easier, especially if you wind up putting up an index with links to the many adoption places! X3
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

Yeah that's where all future links should go for linkbacks :)

I may eventually add a different url, but if it costs anything, I won't lol. Maybe Dragons.droppin-the-fork.com will forward to it I haven't really paid any attention to that aspect :)
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
jess d
Dragon

Post by jess d »

Can anyone get into geocities today? I just tried, was going to finish my saves, only have one account left, and it tells me it cannot find the main geocities page!

I checked the links for pages on this account, and they are still online, but I can't get in and get the files to save them
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

I can get to the login screen just fine. Maybe you caught it at a moment of downtime?
jess d
Dragon

Post by jess d »

I tried it again, and it said that Geocities is already closed - I was already logged in through my email, so I didn't even get a log-in screen

But trying again, after sending in a question to yahoo, and refreshing a couple times, it has come back

Good thing I should be able to finish grabbing pages today >.<
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

Have you used the DownloadThemAll! firefox plugin that was linked earlier in this thread? Turns the process into moments. Login, start downloader, choose where to put it, what to download, start it running and walk away. Very nice.
jess d
Dragon

Post by jess d »

I don't use firefox

But this way helps me remember who I have and where they are :D
Kitsuneko
Ancient Dragon

Post by Kitsuneko »

I could never get the DownloadThemAll to take the images as well. :/
Good news is, once I finish saving the Fauna Frenzy pages, I'll have everything backed up. Yay!
Darkling Dawn: Fauna Frenzy Open to candidates; flights open to males/females; rukel eggs/breedings available.
Drockh-Tallahn Castle: 3 eggs, 2 available. Females and males needed.
Sgiath Wolfkeep: 7 pups available
Sedona Weyr: 12 eggs, Deadline March 8. Chasers and a female needed.
jess d
Dragon

Post by jess d »

And finished! I have saved all my pages, even though it gave me problems for probably another 10 minutes before it decided to behave and let me in normally.

I will likely start repaging next week, as I let some of the household chores go this week, trying to get everything saved, and I need to get them caught back up >.>
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

Congrats, you guys! :D

Post by Guest »

Glad to see everyone's still here. I got that geocities pesky notice and bought some payed webhosting on One.com. I think around 50 euros a year for the cheapest formula but you get 3 gigs of space (that number still scares me) and a .com domain name. At first I misread a zero :p
But as usual I postponed and postponed until finally Saturday arrived and I started to madly update all my riders (because it's a dreamed chance to do some maintenance and make a chart! yay for anal-retentiveness!). I'll put all the new links to my sites (and Cyan's) up in a new post and add the links for my riders/dragons per Adoption Site if people want to update their links.
And while we're busy with all the promises, I want to really get back to dragoning... I wonder why I stopped updating 2 years ago. I was so close! 3 folders to go and just a few pages that needed tweaking. I'm hoping to get it all done before I leave on Holiday in November (anyone ever been to Hong Kong?)
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

Oooh, that'll be fun for you!

Please do come back to us! We love your dragons, I miss em! And yeah this whole geocities thing was pretty sad. I just wish that for the last month or so they'd have lifted the bandwidth restrictions because like last night - I was trying to grab all of Baeris_kshau_masterhealer (which for whatever STUPID STUPID reason I hadn't done yet) and kept getting the over-bandwidth page. :( But I got em all.

When things have settled a little I think we should all put our new site links, pages and such in one place, just to be able to reference them more easily and change links where possible.
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com

Post by Guest »

Yeah, luckily I uploaded my pages from my pc, against all comments about how MS Frontpage is evil. I had no worries about saving info... though I did want to complete updating my riders before the hatching records started to vanish. I'm still lacking clutch 15 from Falas Weyr 10th pass though :( I hope yakima's still around (or someone has those records)
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

Well, Yakima ragequit last week, so maybe she'll return and put her pages back up. They were going so well up until just a few days ago. Once things are sorted out, I am sure they'll be visible again.
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
leilay
Hatchling

Post by leilay »

Late, very, but all of my dragons will be re-hosted soon. :) Same structure/style as before, but I need to re-upload them.

Post by Guest »

What happend to my dragon page and Ryslen? :cry:
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

If they were on Geocities, like they'd been saying since May or June of last year, it's been closed permanently. :/ Ryslen should be back up somewhere, though Ty's been very, very busy lately with real life, so whether its all up yet I don't know. I hope you'd have copies of your pages offline?
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com

Post by Guest »

I just remembered that I do have a backup server for my dragon.
It's here. http://home.windstream.net/iggy67/sanbart.htm

Will you let me know if you find out the new address of Ryslen?

EDIT: Oh BTW, I hope I didn't break any rules by putting my dragon's page link up here.
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

Just check back and watch for Ty's posts. generally we'll have links in signature blocks, but some aren't updated yet. It's good to know your lovely dragon is still around :D
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com

Post by Guest »

Thankx.

I wasn't going to let my dragon go in to oblivion.

EDIT: BTW, Is there a thread where I can put my dragon link up
so Ty could list it in Ryslen when see get it back up?
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

You might check in the Database area - I can't recall if she put up a thread asking for links or not, but you can feel free to start a thread there with it :)
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com